ADVERTISEMENT

When Rose Bowl REALLY began

Cuyahoga Falls Eers

All-American
May 29, 2001
In 1902 it was called the Tournament East-West Football Game, NOT the Rose Bowl. The “Rose Bowl” appellation was added retroactively after the Rose Bowl Stadium opened in 1923. In 1922 there was NO Rose Bowl game.

Even the 1923 “Rose Bowl” was advertised, as articles show, as The Tournament of Roses East-West Football game, the same name given to the 1922 game that WVU played against Gonzaga.

So the 1922 game was a precursor to the Rose Bowl, which didn’t exist at the time. Only retroactively named the Rose Bowl.

NO Rose Bowl games were played between 1903 to 1915.

It has been played annually since 1916, but NOT under the Rose Bowl name till 1923.

The first Sugar Bowl was played January 1, 1935.

The first Orange Bowl was played January 1, 1935.

The first Cotton Bowl was played January 1, 1937.

The first Fiesta Bowl wasn’t played till January 1, 1971.

But there was NO Rose Bowl Stadium till 1923, after WVU won the Shrine East-West Classic in 1922 for what could legimately be called the national title game. Beat Gonzaga. ONLY undefeated team in WVU history.

Since its 1923 opening, the Rose Bowl stadium has hosted the bowl game every year except in 1942 and 2021. The 1942 Rose Bowl was moved to Durham, North Carolina, at the campus of Duke University. Duke, which played in the game on January 1, volunteered to host the contest because of security concerns on the West Coast in the weeks following the attack on Pearl Harbor. The 2021 Rose Bowl was played at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas due to capacity restrictions in place in California due to the COVID-19 Pandemic.

And that is the rest of the story, the accurate story, that WVU won the last post-season game NOT named the Rose Bowl before the true birth of the Rose Bowl in 1923.

Doesn’t that bowl you over? The truth usually does.

Get mad at the truth, not me.

If Shane Lyons is smart he will round up the living children of Coach Clarence “Doc” Spears and every player on that 1922 team for special ceremony at a 2022 game, the 100th anniversary of the ONLY undefeated team in WVU history!

AND put Doc Spears’ name on the stadium along with Sam Huff’s. After all, NO coach in
WVU history has done what Doc Spears did, go undefeated, in more than a century of football!

Fake John
Just not true. Quit trolling. Getting old.
1922 Cal vs Washington &Jefferson
1923 Penn State vs USC

In 1902 it was called the Tournament East-West Football Game, NOT the Rose Bowl. The “Rose Bowl” appellation was added retroactively after the Rose Bowl Stadium opened in 1923. In 1922 there was NO Rose Bowl game.

Even the 1923 “Rose Bowl” was advertised, as articles show, as The Tournament of Roses East-West Football game, the same name given to the 1922 game that WVU played against Gonzaga.

So the 1922 game was a precursor to the Rose Bowl, which didn’t exist at the time. Only retroactively named the Rose Bowl.

NO Rose Bowl games were played between 1903 to 1915.

It has been played annually since 1916, but NOT under the Rose Bowl name till 1923.

The first Sugar Bowl was played January 1, 1935.

The first Orange Bowl was played January 1, 1935.

The first Cotton Bowl was played January 1, 1937.

The first Fiesta Bowl wasn’t played till January 1, 1971.

But there was NO Rose Bowl Stadium till 1923, after WVU won the Shrine East-West Classic in 1922 for what could legimately be called the national title game. Beat Gonzaga. ONLY undefeated team in WVU history.

Since its 1923 opening, the Rose Bowl stadium has hosted the bowl game every year except in 1942 and 2021. The 1942 Rose Bowl was moved to Durham, North Carolina, at the campus of Duke University. Duke, which played in the game on January 1, volunteered to host the contest because of security concerns on the West Coast in the weeks following the attack on Pearl Harbor. The 2021 Rose Bowl was played at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas due to capacity restrictions in place in California due to the COVID-19 Pandemic.

And that is the rest of the story, the accurate story, that WVU won the last post-season game NOT named the Rose Bowl before the true birth of the Rose Bowl in 1923.

Doesn’t that bowl you over? The truth usually does.

Get mad at the truth, not me.

If Shane Lyons is smart he will round up the living children of Coach Clarence “Doc” Spears and every player on that 1922 team for special ceremony at a 2022 game, the 100th anniversary of the ONLY undefeated team in WVU history!

AND put Doc Spears’ name on the stadium along with Sam Huff’s. After all, NO coach in
WVU history has done what Doc Spears did, go undefeated, in more than a century of football!
Spears dumbest move in 1922 was against a weak Washington & Lee in Charleston when he chose to let others coach the team while he scouted the following week’s opponent Rutgers, a rare oversight he never duplicated. Idiot.

A win over W&J led to an invitation to play Gonzaga in the San Diego East-West Christmas Classic, later simply referred to as the East-West Bowl.

Seems old Doc boy left the same fashion as Rod....bastards the both of them.

Rich Rodriguez, chose to depart for the greener pastures of the Big Ten Conference in a similar fashion and under much similar circumstances as Clarence Spears did in the mid-1920s, demonstrating once again how history can frequently repeat itself.

Last edited:
Spears dumbest move in 1922 was against a weak Washington & Lee in Charleston when he chose to let others coach the team while he scouted the following week’s opponent Rutgers, a rare oversight he never duplicated. Idiot.

A win over W&J led to an invitation to play Gonzaga in the San Diego East-West Christmas Classic, later simply referred to as the East-West Bowl.

Seems old Doc boy left the same fashion as Rod....bastards the both of them.

Rich Rodriguez, chose to depart for the greener pastures of the Big Ten Conference in a similar fashion and under much similar circumstances as Clarence Spears did in the mid-1920s, demonstrating once again how history can frequently repeat itself.
Fish On Allen ole bud

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Should have never allowed Fielding Yost to slip out of the state in the late 1890s.
Ended up winning four national titles from 1901-04, outscoring opponents 550-0 in 1901, and during a five year stretch, outscored opponents by a margin of 2,821 to 42. One has to wonder why Michigan didn't go after Spears after Yost retired in the mid-1920s. Yost was a good redneck fella from Fairview, West Virginia. Due to his accent, he's the one that began the MEE-SHE-GAN that carries on yet today.

Can't make up the comedy in this thread. Now we have an attempt to rewrite history and place a new start date for the Rose Bowl. It's about as accurate as a former high school team waterboy claiming to be a football expert. Oh well this is becoming the same as listening to the bumbling dude in the White House rewrite events. I smell a squirrel on the loose.

How did i know that clarence spears would be brought into this.

THAT MADE ME LAUGH. DINOSAURS STICK TOGETHER, HUH? I'M LIKE A PITBULL WHEN I TAKE UP A CAUSE. I GRAB IT BY THE NECK AND REFUSE TO LET GO. WVU IN 1922 AND DOC SPEARS DESERVE THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS DESIGNATION. HELL, WVU SHOULD HAVE A STATUE OF SPEARS OUTSIDE MOUNTAINEER FIELD!

THAT MADE ME LAUGH. DINOSAURS STICK TOGETHER, HUH? I'M LIKE A PITBULL WHEN I TAKE UP A CAUSE. I GRAB IT BY THE NECK AND REFUSE TO LET GO. WVU IN 1922 AND DOC SPEARS DESERVE THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS DESIGNATION. HELL, WVU SHOULD HAVE A STATUE OF SPEARS OUTSIDE MOUNTAINEER FIELD!
You're the only person in existence who is on a first name basis with a guy that would be 124yo today.

Rose Bowl can tell their own history

You are trying to tell Rose Bowl history and trying to connect WVU
The Rose Bowl itself still exist and will tell you who played in their game.

Pasadena is an interesting place. A resort city where people just stopped going home. A lot of those people were from cities like Detroit and Chicago.

It's called "foolish stubborness," and you shouldn't be proud of this character flaw. As a shameless liberal, you've undoubtedly convinced yourself that right is wrong and wrong is right.

Squirrel.

If only you would take up that cause someplace that matters. Like WVU front office. Spare us all your ignorant bullshit.

Spears is white. Can't build him a statue. That goes against the flow of wokism. You should know this as you voted for Biden.

If only you would take up that cause someplace that matters. Like WVU front office. Spare us all your ignorant bullshit.

Spears is white. Can't build him a statue. That goes against the flow of wokism. You should know this as you voted for Biden.
Right?! So tear down statues that remind you of slavery only to have a day to remember slavery. Liberal thinking is something else…

You can tell when CFE Cuts and paste an article trying to take credit for it.

His cut and paste are never in all caps and no credit to writer. His regular BS is in all caps.

I LIKE SQUIRRELS. FEED THEM EVERY DAY. THEY ARE AMONG THE SMARTEST SPECIEST ON EARTH. SO I'LL THAT YOUR "SQUIRREL" RESPONSE AS A COMPLIMENT. THEY CAN OUT-SMART YOU AND ME. ASK ANYONE WHO HAS A GARDEN.
Wonder why they just stand there looking at me when I point my gun at them? I would of thought that they would know to at least run for their life.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Wonder why they just stand there looking at me when I point my gun at them? I would of thought that they would know to at least run for their life.

THAT'S CAUSE THEY CAN'T BELIEVE ANYONE WOULD BE SO MEAN. THERE'S VERY LITTLE MEAT ON A SQUIRREL. GIVE A BEAR A GUN AND THEN GO FACE TO FACE WITH THE BEAR. FAIR MATCH.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT