ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Neal Brown one-year contract extension

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – West Virginia University Vice President and Director of Athletics Wren Baker and Football Head Coach Neal Brown have agreed to terms on a one-year contract extension. The extension keeps Brown under contract for the next four years and goes through the 2027 season.

"I am pleased with the progress I've seen in our football program since arriving last year," Baker said. "I believe this contract amendment allows us to continue to build on our momentum as we begin our first year in the new and expanded Big 12 Conference. I'm appreciative of the effort Coach Brown and his staff put into developing the young people in our program both on and off the field."

Coming off a nine-win season and a victory in the Duke's Mayo Bowl over North Carolina, the extension maintains continuity in the football program and reflects a continued commitment by both sides.

"My first priority was retaining and rewarding our assistant coaches and support staff who have played such a critical role in our success," Brown said. "I appreciate Wren's support on that front as well as his continued commitment to me and what we are building. We share a common vision for this program and that alignment is critical to our continued success. There are great things ahead, and I can't wait to see our incredible fans back in Milan Puskar Stadium on August 31."

Spring football drills for the Mountaineers are set to begin on March 25 with the annual Gold-Blue Spring Game slated for April 27. West Virginia opens the 2024 football season on August 31 when Penn State visits Morgantown for the first time since 1992. Season tickets are on sale now at WVUGAME.com or by calling the Mountaineer Ticket Office at 1-800-WVU-GAME.

I'm good with it. I don't like unnecessary turnover which significantly negatively impacts the program. HC need at least 3 and preferably 4 years on their contract in order for recruitment not being impacted to a level that makes it impossible for many players. Baker was able to keep his options open with a wait and see mentality for this season. Brown wasn't going to be fired until the season concludes anyway and if we meet the Administration's expectations, this investment is low cost.

If we’ve backed ourselves into another corner and unable to fire him after this next season, Wren should go. I don’t buy that this extension was necessary and I also don’t buy that we will be as successful next year as we were this past season. My over/under is 6.5 wins.

My over/under is 8 wins. And 8 or under wins will create a bunch of pressure to move on from him.
Exactly. There are, in my opinion, unreasonably high expectations for the football team next year. I’ve seen very little out of Brown’s entire tenure to suggest we will live up to those expectations. If we fire him for 7 wins or 8 wins, why extend him? And if we don’t fire him for 8 or less wins, I suspect a large portion of the fanbase may riot. 8 wins would be great, imo. Sure, it would be a step back from this years total, but at least an indication that this year wasn’t just luck of our conference opponents being down and that we are trending that slow climb.

A one-year extension with a pay cut from the most losing coach in modern Mountaineer football history. If I were a pitt fan I'd be all smiles.

I don’t love it and also don’t hate it. Actually don’t know what to think about it. I just want wins. This past year was nice but I feel like we lost a couple we could’ve won. Hopefully we get better and better!!!

Reactions: WVUALLEN
The guy had 3 more years still on contract and despite last season's "success" no one was giving him a serious look to hire him away. So why the extension? It doesn't sound like the fleecing of WVU that Lyons offered, but it also looks like a completely pointless arrangement for both sides.

I don’t love it and also don’t hate it. Actually don’t know what to think about it. I just want wins. This past year was nice but I feel like we lost a couple we could’ve won. Hopefully we get better and better!!!
Honestly it probably was a pretty smart move considering he takes a $400,000 pay cut and it lessened the buyout. It's just weird timing lol. The dude hasn't proven much yet and half of the fan base really doesn't like him. So I guess it's all going to hinge on what happens this season. I am absolutely not sold on him but it would be better for the program if he actually panned out. I hope he really shows Improvement this year and it's undisputable

Reactions: locustwv
Honestly it probably was a pretty smart move considering he takes a $400,000 pay cut and it lessened the buyout. It's just weird timing lol. The dude hasn't proven much yet and half of the fan base really doesn't like him. So I guess it's all going to hinge on what happens this season. I am absolutely not sold on him but it would be better for the program if he actually panned out. I hope he really shows Improvement this year and it's undisputable
Did it really lessen the buyout though? We added a year of salary to the reduced buyout. I’m thinking the buyout is likely higher due to that.

If my math is correct, if fired next year, his buyout would be $13.36M now. Before the contract extension it would have been $12.7M. Doing the math on my phone bouncing between sites, but that certainly is not lowering the buyout. I do not see this as a win by any means for WVU. Another rushed and poor decision by the leadership.
Ok I am wrong on the percentages, I thought he was owed 100% of remaining contract. Also had current percentage buyout wrong. I’m going to have to work this out on more than my iPhone lol

The guy had 3 more years still on contract and despite last season's "success" no one was giving him a serious look to hire him away. So why the extension? It doesn't sound like the fleecing of WVU that Lyons offered, but it also looks like a completely pointless arrangement for both sides.

I retract my hot take. This contract mostly favors Brown. If I have this right, WVU is now contracted with Brown for 4 years at 3.6M per year and 75% of the remaining contract as a buyout for early exit. So under the old contract, WVU owes 12 Mill over the next 3 years regardless of when during that time Brown's employment ends. So let's compare that with the extension.

Year 1: 3.6M salary plus buyout of the remaining 3 years at 75%, 3.6x3x.75=8.1M, is 11.7M. WVU saves 300K.

Year 2: 3.6x2=7.2 for salary plus buyout, 3.6x2x.75=5.4, is 12.6M. WVU loses 600K.

Year 3: 3.6x3=10.8 for salary plus buyout, 3.6x.75=2.7, is 13.5M. WVU loses 1.5M.

Last edited:
Ok I am wrong on the percentages, I thought he was owed 100% of remaining contract. Also had current percentage buyout wrong. I’m going to have to work this out on more than my iPhone lol
I saw somewhere it was reduced to 75% but I'm not totally sure. It would be much easier to let him go if it was 75, but I would rather see it down to 50%. It will be interesting to see if and how they use the extra 100k per year to further improve the team somehow.

I retract my hot take. This contract mostly favors Brown. If I have this right, WVU is now contracted with Brown for 4 years at 3.6M per year and 75% of the remaining contract as a buyout for early exit. So under the old contract, WVU owes 12 Mill over the next 3 years regardless of when during that time Brown's employment ends. So let's compare that with the extension.

Year 1: 3.6M salary plus buyout of the remaining 3 years at 75%, 3.6x3x.75=8.1M, is 11.7M. WVU saves 300K.

Year 2: 3.6x2=7.2 for salary plus buyout, 3.6x2x.75=5.4, is 12.6M. WVU loses 600K.

Year 3: 3.6x3=10.8 for salary plus buyout, 3.6x.75=2.7, is 13.5M. WVU loses 3.5M.
yeah I’m running the numbers based on how I understand the Post Gazette information, and we do indeed save almost $200k if terminated this year. After that, Brown largely wins on the buyout, which I suppose is what it is. Less of a concern than at first for me, but, if he proves his value this season, he has earned it.

I'm good with it. I don't like unnecessary turnover which significantly negatively impacts the program. HC need at least 3 and preferably 4 years on their contract in order for recruitment not being impacted to a level that makes it impossible for many players. Baker was able to keep his options open with a wait and see mentality for this season. Brown wasn't going to be fired until the season concludes anyway and if we meet the Administration's expectations, this investment is low cost.
I'm good with it. Especially since the buyout was reduced to only 75% of salary.

Keep winning is all I'm saying.

If we’ve backed ourselves into another corner and unable to fire him after this next season, Wren should go. I don’t buy that this extension was necessary and I also don’t buy that we will be as successful next year as we were this past season. My over/under is 6.5 wins.
His buyout was reduced due to the renegotiation. Firing will not be as big of an issue if needed.

Exactly. There are, in my opinion, unreasonably high expectations for the football team next year. I’ve seen very little out of Brown’s entire tenure to suggest we will live up to those expectations. If we fire him for 7 wins or 8 wins, why extend him? And if we don’t fire him for 8 or less wins, I suspect a large portion of the fanbase may riot. 8 wins would be great, imo. Sure, it would be a step back from this years total, but at least an indication that this year wasn’t just luck of our conference opponents being down and that we are trending that slow climb.
So you're saying Greene and the offense will be failures?

We beat Pitt last year. Next .
Yep we edged out the worst Pitt team in history, and so did most teams they played. That doesnt negate the fact that rival fans have been enjoying whats going on at WVU for a few years now, and I have no doubt they would love to see us lock up Neal long term based on his body of work so far...

Remember when you thought Doege was better than Greene? You said Greene would be gone by now, and he wasn't a good QB. You wanted anyone except Greene actually. I mean, Greene is not even nearly as good as Nicco, according to your expertise. No ways he beats out Nicco, lol. All I could do is laugh and shake my head at that kind of ignorance....

His buyout was reduced due to the renegotiation. Firing will not be as big of an issue if needed.
His buyout was reduced by less than $200k in year 1. Years 2-4, his buyout his much higher than it was because of the 4th year salary being included in the calculations.

What do you define as a failure? There is more to a football game than an offense that has had a history of suspect playcalling. We go into next year with young and talented receivers, however no guarantee they take the next step. Our running back room is loaded. It won’t be easy to replace a potential first round draft pick and a second potential draft pick on the oline, but the staff has built some depth. Now on defense, we lost a piece on the line, linebackers are unproven and the secondary will replace both starting corners from last year. Special teams has never been a strength. The most important factor, as I see it, will be the other teams in the conference. I just don’t see our schedule lining up with so many teams having down years as it did last year enabling us to back into victories. No, I would not call Greene a failure if we only end up with 6 or 7 wins. I would pin that squarely on Brown, as I should. I hope that I’m wrong and will be elated with 8 or more wins!

Yep we edged out the worst Pitt team in history, and so did most teams they played. That doesnt negate the fact that rival fans have been enjoying whats going on at WVU for a few years now, and I have no doubt they would love to see us lock up Neal long term based on his body of work so far...
You're about as bright as a dim street light. Further your education and perhaps you'll understand rivalries and football.

We are locked up on Neal long term even before your so called 1 year misery extension. Lower buyout, salary cut bad year this year gone.

You act as if they gave him 8 more years. People just are not as bright as they once were.

I blame Huggins.

What do you define as a failure? There is more to a football game than an offense that has had a history of suspect playcalling. We go into next year with young and talented receivers, however no guarantee they take the next step. Our running back room is loaded. It won’t be easy to replace a potential first round draft pick and a second potential draft pick on the oline, but the staff has built some depth. Now on defense, we lost a piece on the line, linebackers are unproven and the secondary will replace both starting corners from last year. Special teams has never been a strength. The most important factor, as I see it, will be the other teams in the conference. I just don’t see our schedule lining up with so many teams having down years as it did last year enabling us to back into victories. No, I would not call Greene a failure if we only end up with 6 or 7 wins. I would pin that squarely on Brown, as I should. I hope that I’m wrong and will be elated with 8 or more wins!
When you become coach then maybe you can be happy.

His buyout was reduced by less than $200k in year 1. Years 2-4, his buyout his much higher than it was because of the 4th year salary being included in the calculations.
His buyout was 100% of his salary if let go this year and then 85% for final 3. Now it's just 75%. If he's as bad as you experts say he is he will be gone this year and it will not cost 12 million.

NOW:
Brown would receive three-fourths of his remaining salary if he’s fired. Under the previous contract, Brown’s buyout included all of his remaining salary in 2024 and 85% after that.

His buyout was 100% of his salary if let go this year and then 85% for final 3. Now it's just 75%. If he's as bad as you experts say he is he will be gone this year and it will not cost 12 million.

NOW:
Brown would receive three-fourths of his remaining salary if he’s fired. Under the previous contract, Brown’s buyout included all of his remaining salary in 2024 and 85% after that.
Couple things you have wrong, first is that he only had 3 years left on his contract. 100% buyout this year and 85% after that is correct, but we are talking 3 years of pay, not 4. Under his previous salary, that buyout would have totaled $11.5M approx. Now it is 75% of his 4 year salary which comes out to $12.525M. Will they negotiate below? Perhaps, but that’s the contract.

Lol...so according to your hillside logic all head coaches need to be constantly extended to insure they have 3 or 4 years left on their bloated contracts. Wow. Now if results mattered...

You're about as bright as a dim street light. Further your education and perhaps you'll understand rivalries and football.

We are locked up on Neal long term even before your so called 1 year misery extension. Lower buyout, salary cut bad year this year gone.

You act as if they gave him 8 more years. People just are not as bright as they once were.

I blame Huggins.
Stop spinning crap. WVU just extended the contract of a poor performing football coach. Period. Stupid move. Stupid image. Another example of accepting mediocrity as a level of achievement worth retaining.

Stop spinning crap. WVU just extended the contract of a poor performing football coach. Period. Stupid move. Stupid image. Another example of accepting mediocrity as a level of achievement worth retaining.
You should stop spinning negativity. 1 year extension. Huge buyout taken out. Assistants given more money. He can now be fired easily. Another example of dumbass fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT