ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release MacDonald Named West Virginia Swimming and Diving Head Coach

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (May 23, 2024) – Brent MacDonald has been named the sixth head coach of the West Virginia University men’s and women’s swimming and diving program, as announced today by Vice President and Director of Athletics Wren Baker.

“Coach MacDonald has built a consistent and winning program in the pool and in the classroom at Xavier in two different conferences over the past 16 years,” Baker said. “We have an aquatics center and great all-around support system here at West Virginia University for him to use in building his swimming program. He demonstrated during the interview process a high commitment to developing elite student-athletes who excel academically and athletically. His experience and leadership qualities will greatly benefit our swim and dive program and our community. I am excited to have Brent and his family as Mountaineers.”

MacDonald has served as the head coach of the Xavier men’s and women’s swimming program since 2009 after serving as the interim head coach during the 2008-09 season and as an assistant coach from 2006-08.

“I am honored and excited to be the next men’s and women’s swimming and diving head coach at WVU,” MacDonald said. “I want to thank Athletics Director Wren Baker and Executive Senior Associate Athletic Director Brittney O’Dell for trusting me to lead the Mountaineers in the pool. The world-class facilities and elite student-athlete experience make this a great opportunity. My family and I can’t wait to get to Morgantown to begin enjoying the community we’ve heard so many wonderful things about. I can’t wait to get to work!”

During his tenure at Xavier, the men’s swimming team won six Big East Championships, including four championships in six years. The Musketeers won the conference title in the program’s first season in the Big East, and MacDonald was the 2014 Big East Men’s Swimming Coach of the Year.

MacDonald was also the Big East Coach of the Year for the 2014-15, 2019-20 and 2022-23 seasons. He helped develop four Big East Most Outstanding Swimmer of the Year award winners at Xavier.

The women’s swimming team placed second at the 2019 Big East Championship, marking the program’s highest finish since joining the conference.

Before joining the Big East, MacDonald led the program to sustained success in the Atlantic 10. Following a third-place finish by the men’s swimming team during the 2011-12, MacDonald was named the A-10 Men’s Swimming and Diving Coach of the Year.

MacDonald coached one of the most decorated swimmers in the history of the men’s program at Xavier, Michael Zennedjian, who was named the 2009 A-10 Rookie of the Year and twice earned the A-10 Most Outstanding Performer (2011, 2012).

While successful in the pool, the Xavier men’s and women’s swimming programs were equally successful in the classroom. Both teams were named a Scholar All-America Team by the College Swimming and Diving Coaches Association of America every season since 2009-10.

Before joining the Musketeers, MacDonald spent two years as the aquatics director at the Marshfield YMCA in Wisconsin. He also served as the head coach of the girls' swimming team at Marshfield (Wis.) High School and the assistant swimming coach at Noblesville (Ind.) High School.

MacDonald swam four years at Valparaiso and earned a degree in sports administration in 2003. He and his wife, Krista, have three children, Carys, Teague and Everly.

MacDonald at Xavier

Year​
Conference Overall Team Finish (M/W)​
2024​
2nd / 4th Big East​
2023​
2nd / 4th Big East​
2022​
2nd / 3rd Big East​
2021​
1st / 3rd Big East​
2020​
1st / 3rd Big East​
2019​
1st / 2nd Big East​
2018​
4th / 4th Big East​
2017​
3rd / 4th Big East​
2016​
1st / 3rd Big East​
2015​
1st / 3rd Big East​
2014​
1st / 3rd Big East​
2013​
3rd / 10th A-10​
2012​
3rd / 8th A-10​
2011​
5th / 9th A-10​
2010​
6th / 8th A-10​
2009​
5th / 7th A-10​

For more information on the Mountaineers, visit WVUsports.com and follow WVUSwimDive on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News