ADVERTISEMENT

Year 3 for Brown, what are you hoping to see?

People pull the 9 wins for Stewart out, but ignore WHO those 9 wins came against.

Also ignore who he LOST to.

Its not like he was beating B12 squads or something.

People pull the 9 wins for Stewart out, but ignore WHO those 9 wins came against.

Also ignore who he LOST to.

Its not like he was beating B12 squads or something.
He beat ranked teams and P5 schools. He won against #3 Oklahoma, something Holgs nor Brown can do. He was 2-2 in Bowl games. WVU was slowly dropping off because he was holding a roster of 55 to 60 players.

You discount Stewart's 9 wins because of Big East. Then Holgs 9 wins regular season are not worthy either. Stewart also beat Syracuse something your boy couldn't do.

Would love to see 10 and bowl win so Bucky and his alter egos run scared. CFE will claim he saw it in the numbers all along.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Most all coaches have done this to some degree although with the portal I can see less and less.
I call BS on the thinking that coaches "save" schollies for walk ons. Coaches will give a scgollie to a walk on to fill an opening in a prior class when a spot comes open and keeps them close to the 85. But not using the 25/yr to save for walk ons is a foolish plan.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
5-4 in conference is mediocre by any measurement. Not bad...and certainly not good. Just enough that guys who never played the game but carried water bottles would call success.

AGAIN, YOU OVERSTATED. 5-4 IN BIG 12 IS AVERAGE, BUT NOT "MEDIOCRE." MEDIOCRE IS KANSAS AND TEAMS NEAR KANSAS IN THE BOTTOM THIRD OF THE STANDINGS. BY DEFINITION, THE MIDDLE OF THE STANDINGS IS AVERAGE. MY MONONONGAH HIGH TEACHER, MARY TURKOVICH, TAUGHT ME EXCELLENT MATH. TOO BAD YOU DIDN'T HAVE HER.

Last edited:
AGAIN, YOU OVERSTATED. 5-4 IN BIG 12 IS AVERAGE, BUT NOT "MEDIOCRE." MEDOIOCRE IS KANSAS AND TEAMS NEAR KANSAS IN THE BOTTOM THIRD OF THE STANDINGS. BY DEFINITION, THE MIDDLE OF THE STANDINGS IS AVERAGE. MY MONONONGAH HIGH TEACHER, MARY TURKOVICH, TAUGHT ME EXCELLENT MATH. TOO BAD YOU DIDN'T HAVE HER.
Lol...she should have taught you to spell apparently. What does medoiocre mean? Sounds like a prehistoric lizard. Do remember them from your youth? And where the hell is Mononongah? That sounds like it may be near Apache Junction. By the way mediocre translates into...average. Kansas in case you haven't noticed has been not average but bad...except when they played WVU. Final thought...posts like this one make you look as foolish as a water boy on a high school football team.

We have to understand the state of the program when NB took the reigns. The previous staff's recruiting had significantly slipped the last few years, in addition when Brown was hired, he inherited one of the youngest rosters in all of D1. He did not have a blue chip or experienced QB, WR, RB, or OL. However in a short time, Brown has managed to outperform relative to formal expectations/projections, esp considering the talent & youth he was dealt. Also in this period, NB has managed to improve the overall talent level, however while they may have higher upside, they are all still very young & inexperienced.

We saw significant strides forward in year 2, in fact you could say by looking at the Defensive & Offensive metrics we were one of the most improved teams in all of D1, which is great, but we still have a long ways to go due to our starting point being so far behind our standards/expectations.

We all see the limitations of this team, they are pretty obvious actually. However even so, we were a missed goal-line PI away from beating Texas, and a crazy fumble away from beating Texas Tech, both of those games we should have won, so only looking at Wins/Losses for last year is not a fair assessment of progress. That said, and considering we are a year older with many returning players, what are your realistic expectations this year? While we are still a few years away from being where we want to be, Year 3 we should see another level of progress being made. While we did lose two critical back-end pieces to our Defense, and Darious, if our Defense can manage to make subtle improvements, that will be ok for me. Honestly, our offense is where I want to see the most improvement.

Considering we still have Doege, and an inexperienced but talent 2nd string in Greene, I think offensive creativity is something I hope to see. Obviously coaches have to work with what they have, which limits scheme creativity or application, Doege while serviceable, should manage to make progress too. Sparrow & Mathis also need to make progress, they will need to be contributors this year at some point, but it all starts with our OL.

From an OL perspective, I was a bit disappointed to not see more Zone Stretch schemes to help our young OL last year. From a blocking scheme perspective, id like to see more versatility or a broader range of applications, to be less predictive, which has been a serious issue the past two years. Our WR's have hopefully solved their butterfingers issues, cause it was a significant issue last year, not only the amount of drops, but when they occurred, it always seemed like it was a critical 3rd down.

Overall, our defense can make subtle improvements and/or be as good as they were last year, this year its up to our Offense to show significant progress to begin to be able to compete against higher caliber teams. Even if they do, we will still be a couple years away before Brown has that "Breakout Year". I think our 2020 & 2021 classes has a lot of potential, if Brown can fill a few critical holes via transfer/JUCO, when these classes are developed & experienced this is when I think we will begin to see the fruits of Brown's vision, as how he choose to build this program was the right way, its a long-term plan that requires patience and not sacrificing long term growth to grab every decent JUCO player possible simply to hit 7 wins. While these players are talented, they still require time to develop & grow into the player they will become, which requires 2-3 years. WVU is not a Blueblood that can get a program full of freshmen & sophmore bluechips and win like Bama, Clemson, OSU, etc... WVU has always been a team that typically needed experienced upperclassmen to compete at high levels.

While I hope we see another year of progress like we did last year, we will still be limited until we have a diverse & consistent QB that can lead this team down the field in critical moments, a versatile & consistent OL, WR's who can win 1vs1 and have high catch %'s, RBs who can get that first down when needed & hit that big play to secure a win, a Defense that can shut down an opponents momentum, that forces bad decisions & FGs. While NB wants to play a team game, meaning control ToP to help his Defense, this doesnt mean you cant be explosive or creative either. Im super excited NB hired Kirk C as an analyst, a quality & experienced OC that will surely help bring new ideas to our staff, hopefully we hire him in a more long term role next year, but in any case he'll still provide new ideas & concepts to our staff.

This year is going to come down to:

1. Can our Defense maintain the same level this year, or make subtle improvements.
2. Can our Offense reduce last year's limitations & predictability.

Keep in mind, it took Rich Rod & Dabo both 5 years...... 5 YEARS before they won their first major bowl game. Dabo also inherited a much better program who naturally recruited far better then WVU on average, so his starting point was much better. Brown is building this team the right way, its a slow process that requires patience, but everything of real & lasting value requires time. So just because "ITS YEAR 3" doesnt mean we should play in the Big12 Championship. As long as Brown continues to recruit well, we have to give those players time to develop. Patience is not a strong suit of fans who are emotionally child like, who are outraged we lost a game at the last second, but fail to see the progress in the year prior the same team beat us by 30. The level of improvement we seek within this program does not happen quickly, its a 4-6 year process.. My point, temper your expectations for this year and dont apply any meaning to "BUT ITS YEAR 3"...

Very well stated, but I disagree with two of your observations. WVU was a blatant non call for pass interference at the goal line that created the Texas loss. The receiver wasn't just interfered with, he was mugged like the defender had to do. Two of the canceled games were indeed Mulligans against bottom dwellers regardless of their glorious past. That makes a very possible 9 win season which although not guaranteed, very likely.

Clemson was not exactly tearing up the ACC when Coach Tommy Bowden resigned 6 games into the season, with losses to both Maryland and Wake Forest and a 3-3 record. As a matter of fact they had been a middle of the road ACC team ending several seasons with a loss to Steve Spurrier and South Carolina. Clemson was Dabo Swinney's first head coaching job. He had a tough hill to climb also. But despite his inexperience at the Xs and Os, Dabo could recruit the Jimmys and Joes. Many of them did not come from SC.

I think we either win 9 or 10 games this season with Garret Greene the QB after game 3. Doege cannot and will not take a hit.

Lol...she should have taught you to spell apparently. What does medoiocre mean? Sounds like a prehistoric lizard. Do remember them from your youth? And where the hell is Mononongah? That sounds like it may be near Apache Junction. By the way mediocre translates into...average. Kansas in case you haven't noticed has been not average but bad...except when they played WVU. Final thought...posts like this one make you look as foolish as a water boy on a high school football team.

SORRY, YOU GOT IT WRONG AGAIN.

ABYSMAL
MEDIOCRE
AVERAGE
GOOD
EXCELLENT
GREAT

IN THAT ORDER!

Couldn't be done at Iowa State either. Baylor is a train wreck and TCU is smaller than Marshall with overwhelming competition for recruits. It can be done.
Yes for about a three year cycle at best. It can not be done over a long period. You reinforced my opinion with the examples you used.

Very well stated, but I disagree with two of your observations. WVU was a blatant non call for pass interference at the goal line that created the Texas loss. The receiver wasn't just interfered with, he was mugged like the defender had to do. Two of the canceled games were indeed Mulligans against bottom dwellers regardless of their glorious past. That makes a very possible 9 win season which although not guaranteed, very likely.

Clemson was not exactly tearing up the ACC when Coach Tommy Bowden resigned 6 games into the season, with losses to both Maryland and Wake Forest and a 3-3 record. As a matter of fact they had been a middle of the road ACC team ending several seasons with a loss to Steve Spurrier and South Carolina. Clemson was Dabo Swinney's first head coaching job. He had a tough hill to climb also. But despite his inexperience at the Xs and Os, Dabo could recruit the Jimmys and Joes. Many of them did not come from SC.

I think we either win 9 or 10 games this season with Garret Greene the QB after game 3. Doege cannot and will not take a hit.
This team has no chance at ten wins with either QB.

8-4 will probably never get any coach fired not named Stewart. And other than the Oklahoma Fiesta Bowl I was never really impressed by him. I think he was actually better with the Xs and Os but recruiting was his weakness overall. We were bleeding numbers, bad. Seems he could sometimes get the best, but not the rest. JMHO

SORRY, YOU GOT IT WRONG AGAIN.

ABYSMAL
MEDIOCRE
AVERAGE
GOOD
EXCELLENT
GREAT

IN THAT ORDER!

Mediocre is a synonym of average.​

As adjectives the difference between mediocre and average

is that mediocre is ordinary: not extraordinary; not special, exceptional, or great; of medium quality; while average is (not comparable) constituting or relating to the average.

Therefore the average of any given outcome can be above or below mediocre. How about between abysmal and average we consider poor and then below average and leave mediocre out of it? Never mind, you surely ignore me by now! LOL

The more I read about how these camps & OV's are going, I feel like Neal Brown felt robbed of that last year and has schemed an entire year on how to offer the best experience these recruits will have on the road. I think Brown would have definitely landed a couple extra high-end targets last year if things werent shut down.

It appears, or at least you get the feeling, this 22 class could be the best class in WVU history and by a healthy margin, not just in rankings but also actual abilities/skill/impact. As I will add, I think one attribute of Brown is his ability to analyze+identify talent.

Everyone knows, we are just a QB away from the 20-22 classes achieving great things in a couple years. Hoping Greene is our guy, if not Nicco could be... We shall see. ASU has a big advantage I think, considering how close they are to where his parents live, but from what Ive read WVU pulled out the red carpet and showed out for his OV which made a massive impact..

Since we only took 1 WR in last years class, Id imagine we may take 3 in this class, 2 of which could be the guys that are also friends with Nicco. Omar, Peter, Kevin, Shawn are all really good WRs... If I could only choose 2, Id choose the 2 thats closest to Nicco... However from a strictly personal choice, Peter & Omar's film is pure fire...

I havent had the time to really study our OL commits & targets film... I know we already have 3, maybe we take 1-2 more...

Nicco QB
Ramon OR Justin Williams RB
Peter WR
Omar WR
Williams WR
Page (TE/OL or DL) - Personally I think Page will probably transition to OL or DL..

As long as our OL commits are on point, thats one helluva offensive class....

From a Defensive perspective, if we could build the rest of the defensive class around these players, #SKYROCKETSINFLIGHT #AFTERNOONDELIGHT

Zane Durant (DL)
Wesley Bissainthe
Jacolby Spells
Travious Lathan
Jaden Mangham (ATH)
Edwin Kolenge ( Probably transition to Edge or Bandit)
Steven Sannieniola (Very much Under Rated Safety)
Horace Lockett (DL)
Ryland Gandy ( Under Rated CB)

If we land even a healthy % of these players, the trajectory of our program is obvious to identify. We still have a good ways to go until these recruits sign, and anything can happen until then... Either way, if Nicco does commit to WVU, I just hope he does it soon which may have a positive impact on others selecting us too, it will also give our staff more time to select another target should he choose ASU..

This is Browns 3rd class, from a future performance perspective, ( ie a few years from now analyzing Browns results), getting this class right is an absolute must... If you spend a few mins on SM, you can clearly see Brown & Staff have worked extremely hard to make this a great Camp & OV season, the rumor mill on SM is extremely positive, just hope it pays compounded dividends..

One thing I really like how Brown is recruiting is when he targets recruits in the 5.4-5.7 range OR 84-87 range, when you watch the actual film, you see an unpolished gem for many of those type of recruits. Thats not the case for how its been historically, when you think he may make an impact after a few years in development. When you dig deeper, maybe they go to a smaller school, or maybe their team wasnt very good so they dont have "Took his team to the Xplayoffs"... While we like to pursue recruits from successful HS programs, for many reasons, you cant allow that to be the only weighted factor. Some kids just have bad luck with maybe their class in HS was small that year, or maybe their HS coach wasnt very good. Many reasons why a recruit is under rated & under recruited. I do like what I see when I have spare time to watch film on our targets.. IN many cases, its very difficult to identify difference between a 5.6 rated player and a 5.8 rated player.. IN some cases the lower rated player even has better performance metrics, from a testing perspective..

When you see this time and time again, it really proves Brown & Staff have an excellent process for analyzing talent/potential/upside...

Reactions: WVUALLEN and Euell
Excellent process for analyzing talent and potential...did long winded Volatility really write that about a coach with a losing record in the Fake 12 team conference.. and a .500 record overall. Of course Volly admits that he isn't finished with his free fan forum expert evaluation. So dumb.

OF COURSE. I'M AN EXPERT ON FERRETING THE TRUTH. 43 YEARS AS A NEWSPAPER EDITOR TAUGHT ME THAT.
So you were an "editor " for your whole time in journalism? Wow. I thought I read that you were a sportswriter...and a general assignment reporter...a financial department innovator...and a investigative journalist. I'll have to reread your old posts to see how I missed it. Did you run the presses and drive the delivery trucks too? Must have never gone home.

So you were an "editor " for your whole time in journalism? Wow. I thought I read that you were a sportswriter...and a general assignment reporter...a financial department innovator...and a investigative journalist. I'll have to reread your old posts to see how I missed it. Did you run the presses and drive the delivery trucks too? Must have never gone home.

OK. 20 YEARS AS A SPORTS WRITER, INCLUDING 10 AS #2 IN DAYTON DAILY NEWS SPORTS DEPARTMENT, CREATOR OF THE WEST VIRGINIA HIGH SCHOOL ALL-STATE SELECTIONS WHILE SPORTS EDITOR OF THE WILLIAMSON DAILY NEWS, CONTINUED TO RUN IT WITH BILL EVANS' WRITTEN APPROVAL WHILE SPORTSWRITER UNDER DICK HUDSON AT THE CHARLESTON DAILY MAIL, MY MENTOR AT THE MORGANTOWN DOMINION NEWS WAS MICKEY FURFARI, MY FRIEND WHO CALLED ME EVERY MONTH TILL HE PASSED AWAY, ASSISTANT STATE DESK SPORTS EDITOR AT THE AKRON BEACON JOURNAL (WHICH HAS 4 PULITZERS, NONE BY ME), NEWSROOM ELECTRONICS COORDINATOR, MANAGING EDITOR'S PROBLEM SOLVER (ONE IDEA SAVED COMPANY $300,000, ACCORDING TO THE MANAGING EDITOR), TELEVISION EDITOR FOR 16 YEARS. NOTICE THE WORD "EDITOR" IS IN THERE A LOT. AND MANAGEMENT, TOO. I DIDN'T INVENT THOSE WORDS; MANAGEMENT DID. AND, ALONG THE WAY, ABOUT $1.7 MILLION IN PAY THAT MADE IT EASY TO AFFORD, IN 25 YEARS OF RETIREMENT, TRAVELS TO 56 COUNTRIES AND 44 STATES (THAILAND WAS #1 WITH ME, ALTHOUGH CRUISING DOWN THE NILE AND THE DANUBE FROM BUDAPEST TO GERMANY WITH A GLORIOUS STOPOVER IN VIENNA, DODGING A MULE IN A MOROCCO MARKET AND PETTING DON QUIXOTE AND HIS STEED STATUE IN MADRID CAME CLOSE. PRACTICALLY LIVING IN BLACKWATER FALLS IN SUMMER WAS HIGH ON MY LIST, TOO. DO YOU WANT RECEIPTS FROM ALL MY TRIPS BEFORE YOU BELIEVE ME?

OF COURSE. I'M AN EXPERT ON FERRETING THE TRUTH. 43 YEARS AS A NEWSPAPER EDITOR TAUGHT ME THAT.
It's been a long time since truth has even been an objective of nearly all media, print, broadcast or internet. Now it seems sensationalism and attention grabbing titles are the norm. The truth is whatever the publisher says it is and the editor is expected to 'correct' articles to ensure that they reflect the owner's political values.

Regarding your vocational history, I'm a little skeptical of the sportswriter position at the Daily Mail. I followed them all with Bill Smith being my favorite. It amazes me how you can remember the details of all of your work history but seem to have forgotten how to write.

Excellent process for analyzing talent and potential...did long winded Volatility really write that about a coach with a losing record in the Fake 12 team conference.. and a .500 record overall. Of course Volly admits that he isn't finished with his free fan forum expert evaluation. So dumb.

If you have an issue with his W/L record in his first two years, then your issues resides with the previous staff that left behind a .500 program after 8 years to build it. Brown inherited one of the youngest teams in all of D1, not only were they young, they also didnt have many high impact players, esp those in critical positions.

When analyzing the results of a coach, the starting point matters, when determining his performance and growth/improvement curve. WVU was one of the most improved teams in all of D1 last year, to be such a young, inexperienced, & talent lacking team thats all we could have hoped for... Considering the trash can of a program DH left behind, I think Brown & Staff are doing an amazing job building for long term success. Anything of real value takes time, he could have raided JUCO for every decent player just to hit 7 wins, but hes doing it the right way, and the right way requires patience.

Take a look around on Social Media and other sports medias, there are many stories out right now discussing the buzz in Morgantown and how Brown is building something special here.. The 22 class could be the best recruiting class in WVU history... If Brown inherited Will Grier & Company or Geno & Company, expectations would be very different, but he didnt.... He inherited an absolute mess, and if you think otherwise, you're serving different motives/objectives & are nothing but a WVU forum troll, a sad life I must say... How does one follow a path in life where you can allocate so much effort & time simply to serve in a feeble attempt to atonganize with a thought process that could be best summed up as hilariously irrational & illogical at best?

However, you do serve a function in life.... I took a break from living a beautiful life and watched the new Loki episode the other day, and I can think of no better reflection of your purpose. While your hilarious attempts to instill negativity fails, you're efforts actually unites us all in positivity & our support. You are the classic comic book velon, destined to fail miserably, destined to make everyone around you shine as they swiftly overcome your lies & falsehoods.. Forked tongues find no refuge here..

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT