ADVERTISEMENT

Year 3 for Brown, what are you hoping to see?

I can sit and attempt to explain why Dana did have some success and why Dana failed....

But you can go look at OU and their offensive line to see why.
Dana's buddy bounced.

That was his program right there. Didn't find another guy capable of building an Offensive Line.

Neal Brown tried to be respectful but was floored by how a program ran by the same man for that long didn't have the talent on the Offensive Line.

Go from Year 1 to Year 2.

Slight improvement. It wasn't enough but it was better

So entering Year 3....

You will judge Neal Brown on the offensive line.

This is what the man is tying his career to.
Regarding QB play. QB only as good as the people in front of him. Great OL...Allows the QB to have time to throw the ball if he has the WRs to create separation.

Because the Big 12 doesn't like physical DB play that much...
WRs will be able to create separation.

Look around at the defenses in the Big 12...
They all have one thing in mind. Pin their ears back and get to the QB.

Iowa State gets this....Reason why they are able to move the ball. They don't put themselves into passing downs.

3rd and 2 is very different than 3rd and 12.

A 7-0 game is much different than being down 17-0.

Its funny reading the incredible excuses people put up, when FACTS show a completely different story.

Trying to put down Holgorsen's offensive line, yet Holgorsen had a top ten offense as compared to the dregs Brown is producing.

It was Brown who put together the worst rushing attack in D-1 football year one, not Holgorsen. DH's staffs never had such a horrid running game. And passing? DHs squads were nearly always far better than what Brown is putting out.

No, at some point you have to stop with the excuses and look in the mirror.

Brown's results are his own. 8th most drops in the receiver corp. No WVU coach was ever that bad. Worst rushing in the NCAA--same. Have to check but Brown's offensive output has to be some of the lowest outputs ever for a WVU coach.

Has nothing to do with the previous staff. Its nearly three years in now and its time to see results and stop living off excuses. The hypocrisy of "anyone can step in and immediately do better" can't now switch to "oh but its the last guys fault!" nonsense.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
To me its pretty obvious. Two 7 win seasons, two 8 win seasons and a 10 win season leading into the current HC.

Same league.

Since the new HC came in, two 5 win regular seasons- last year only 10 games played so OU and one of the major P5 teams didn't play a part in those losses.

If the same result happens again? Those paying the bills have no choice but to have a closer look at what is going on.

WVU needed to be built into a consistent championship level team, not burned down and rebuilt as though football had never been played at WVU and there had never been success there. The final year of the previous staff the team was 3 pts from playing in the BIG 12 CCG.

Now, this is where WVU is currently--in the ashes after everything that came before was torched and cleared.

Can the current coach make something better from the ground zero he created? This year will be telling. If not the money people have some decisions to make before the fanbase is gone.
Let me know when you become a Mountaineer fan. Until then leave the board.

I think Buck is someone from Rivals who's job it is to have a profile for each team's site, and say the most ridiculous things to each program fans, to keep us engaged with the platform. Other then him being a Marshall, Pitt, or VT fan, theres no other logical explanation for his illogical views. Brown coached the team that was given to him by DH. As do all coaches who start a new job, at least for the first 3 years or so, depending how well they can recruit. Brown is still coaching players DH recruited, and until the 2020 class are upperclassmen its not logical to criticize results, as long as you are seeing improvement in certain areas, which we are. As long as we see improvements from yr to yr, and Brown continues to improve the talent level, this staff deserves our patience to allow them to build & implement their vision, culture, and not be restricted by players not fitting their schemes.

WVU 18 Syracuse 34 --- that was our future under DH.... Actually it would have been even worse, considering a few quality seniors played in the bowl game.

Personally, Im very interested to see how this staff recruits for the 22 class. When you look at the targets from other sites, theres a healthy number of 87+ rated players, more than usual... I just hope we land Braden or Gavin, and one of them commits early on, it always helps when a quality QB commits early in the process, esp for WR+RB positions... Any rate, no matter what some lunatic thinks, logical people understand real change takes time. Its not something that happens quickly, esp when you inherit such a disaster. I supported DH, Im not a fan of firing & hiring coaches in a few years, but he had 8 years to show his quality. We waited on that 2018 team for 8 yrs, and when he lost to OkieSt, that was the last straw for me... While I dont blame DH for the OU loss, as Will Grier's 2 fumbles and TJ Simmons blocking cant be put on DH, we should have never lost to OSU... I think if we played OU again in the BIG12 championship, we would have won... We gave them 21 points that night in Morgantown, but ultimately Im glad it all happened, cause now we have a coach whos building for long term success and not just a 1 in 8 year type of program.

Its funny reading the incredible excuses people put up, when FACTS show a completely different story.

Trying to put down Holgorsen's offensive line, yet Holgorsen had a top ten offense as compared to the dregs Brown is producing.

It was Brown who put together the worst rushing attack in D-1 football year one, not Holgorsen. DH's staffs never had such a horrid running game. And passing? DHs squads were nearly always far better than what Brown is putting out.

No, at some point you have to stop with the excuses and look in the mirror.

Brown's results are his own. 8th most drops in the receiver corp. No WVU coach was ever that bad. Worst rushing in the NCAA--same. Have to check but Brown's offensive output has to be some of the lowest outputs ever for a WVU coach.

Has nothing to do with the previous staff. Its nearly three years in now and its time to see results and stop living off excuses. The hypocrisy of "anyone can step in and immediately do better" can't now switch to "oh but its the last guys fault!" nonsense.
Holgersen’s last season had the entire offense line returning with 3 seniors and 2 juniors along with a senior at tight end. Brown had to replace 4 of the 6 primary blockers. There was bound to be a big drop off in production running the ball no matter if Holgersen stayed or not.
Duh.

Replacing Grier and Stills with a zero experienced QB and one good wide receiver returning ..... of course there were not going to be a continuation of results as well. WVU is not Alabama, Oklahoma, Clemson, Ohio State, etc that 2 or 3 five star recruits are waiting in line.
Double Duh.

Wake up.

Reactions: Volatility
I dont know what some of the people here are or who they support. I dont know how many handles some of them have.

some though railed endlessly against the previous staff and now excuse away just plain bad coaching.
I think most WVU fans want success and didnt sign on for 5 win seasons- especially After so many talkers here claimed anyone could walk in an d immediately do better than the second winningest coach in wvu football history- who also faced the most difficult schedules

You see an improvement from Year 1 to Year 2 in the areas Neal Brown speaks about

Now if you don't see an improvement in Year 3 you could be onto something

For now some of you are wasting your time trying to push bullshit.

This is the reason I like Neal Brown

He beats the teams he should for the most part.
The TCU/Tx Tech situation is weird. I haven't really looked into why WVU can beat one and not the other.
On the surface you would put TCU with OU, Texas, Iowa State and Oklahoma State.

The question now becomes Iowa State and Oklahoma State
Both the Oklahoma State games have been close. Neither of the Iowa State games have.

He is likeable.

Smart coach with a very good plan for the university.

But more than that like I said he is likeable.

Dana wasn't so much. Dana thinks he is smarter than he really is.
Usually a bad sign because he lacks humility

I dont know what some of the people here are or who they support. I dont know how many handles some of them have.

some though railed endlessly against the previous staff and now excuse away just plain bad coaching.
I think most WVU fans want success and didnt sign on for 5 win seasons- especially After so many talkers here claimed anyone could walk in an d immediately do better than the second winningest coach in wvu football history- who also faced the most difficult schedules
If Neal Brown went 5-7 and beat Kansas in year 3 would you consider that a successfull season? Just asking because Holgorsen went 4-8 in year 3 and lost to Kansas. We saw how well Holgorsen had prepared for life after Geno Tavon and Stedman and life wasn't pretty. Losing to a Kansas team that hadn't won a big 12 game in the longest time not exactly a high water mark.

WVU needed to be built into a consistent championship level team, not burned down and rebuilt as though football had never been played at WVU and there had never been success there. The final year of the previous staff the team was 3 pts from playing in the BIG 12 CCG.
I don't think that can be done here.

Probably no chance at all of winning an NCAA football championship. With the way they have blocked things off with the selection committee and 4 team playoff system.

Probably no chance at all of winning an NCAA football championship. With the way they have blocked things off with the selection committee and 4 team playoff system.
It was their worst nightmare back in 90 when Colorado/GT split a title.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Sure it can. But not the way things are being done now. I realize getting to the MNC is nearly impossible, but ISU, Baylor and TCU winning or getting close to winning the BIG 12 shows that can be done --and WVU was close to the BIG 12 CCG-- just a few pts away in 2018. Win that game and WVU would have played in the BIG 12 CCG and if they won that game played in the playoffs.

Right now, WVU is not competitive in the BIG 12. They were a few years ago.

Recruiting Ranking for WVU of % of commits that are ranked higher than 85.00

2013 - 45.7%

2014 - 44.1%

2015 - 50.6%

2016 - 46.7%

2017 - 40.2%

2018 - 44.4%

2019 - 50.0%

2020 - 64.3%

2021 - 79.2%
But here are the REAL recruiting rankings for those years, not trumped up stats:
2012 - 35

2013 - 30

2014 - 39

2015 - 35

2016 - 39

2017 - 57

2018 - 35

2019 - 48

2020 - 37

2021 - 40

Sure it can. But not the way things are being done now. I realize getting to the MNC is nearly impossible, but ISU, Baylor and TCU winning or getting close to winning the BIG 12 shows that can be done --and WVU was close to the BIG 12 CCG-- just a few pts away in 2018. Win that game and WVU would have played in the BIG 12 CCG and if they won that game played in the playoffs.

Right now, WVU is not competitive in the BIG 12. They were a few years ago.
It has never been done. I don't think so.

It has never been done. I don't think so.
Had a much better chance when they voted on such. Had a much better chance under BCS.

Pretty much no shot at all in the political formula used now. Outside shot at making playoffs. But must be undefeated and no other blue blood NCAA loves of Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, Texas A&M, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, USC and Clemson within reach.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Matt Campbell was 8-5 in his second year and beat highly regarded OU that year. He didn't just win 5 games. Not the same as Brown at all. Not close.

Also the team that Campbell inherited was NOT close to being BIG 12 champions.

The team that Brown inherited had a 10 win and couple of 8 win seasons, never won less than 7 games and was 3 pts from beating playoff contending OU. Had a top 10 offense. To try and ignore that and paint it as some sort of losing team, when that's what Brown has actually produced is ignoring reality.
WOW Buck... I didn't realize you were that stupid!

I'd like to see 3 things that are well within the coaching staff's control.

1. Decreased stupid penalties. Particularly pre-snap penalties and pointless after the play crap.

2. Improvement in catching. Some WR's do just have stone hands, but most drops are due to lack of concentration.

3. A true defensive coordinator with a consistent scheme. With Stills and Mesidor, pressure can be applied and will definitely be necessary with the losses in the secondary.

Otherwise I think WVU has been spoiled at QB recently and I doubt anyone on the roster will be Pat White, Geno Smith, or Will Grier. Trickett level is the ceiling in my opinon. And I'll say that despite his faults Holgorsen did have a system that covered QB deficiencies rather well and thus we may not see Holgorsen offensive numbers even with a comparable QB. So I'm expecting the run game will have to cover those deficiencies. I will say if Doege plays more than twice and definitely 3 times for multiple series early on like he did in the bowl, then just bench him and give a player with a future in the program meaningful reps. I think in the age of transfer portal an upperclassmen QB that is only marginally better than the underclassmen back up shouldn't waste the time of the program.

That is an OLine issue not a QB one.

Except the TO. The was a QB mistake.

Neither QB will be able to pass block for themselves

People don't want to hear it but it needs to be said. No reason to rewrite history. WVU was NOT on some downward trend under the last several years of the previous staff.

Facts are here is the record of WVU coming into Brown's time:

2018 8-4 (3 points away from playing for a BIG 12 CCG. Top 10 offense in nation.)
2017 7-6
2016 10-3
2015 8-5
2014 7-6

Recruiting ratings (24/7)
2018 #35
2017 #57
2016 #39
2014 #39

So WVU was performing at a higher level in terms of wins (over history 7 win averaged per year) and recruiting wise, outside of 2017 was recruiting the same as always.

Here's the records AFTER Brown came in:
recruiting ranking
2020 #37
2019 #48

and win loss record:
2020 6-4
2019 5-7

Additionally, most of the production that Brown has seen from players came from players that remained from the previous staff.

1st year for Brown WVU was within the bottom 3 of every major college football team in rushing.
2nd year WVUs receivers were bottom ten in drops in NCAA football.

I expect Brown to be his own coach, not try to excuse away his records because of the previous staff.

I expect WVU to have a competent P5 offense with improvement every year that at least challenges for a BIG 12 title.

Based on all the hype so many put out, WVU should from time to time make major bowls and or an occasional playoff game and average at least 9 wins per year.

Right now, based on what has transpired and the outlook after so very many departures from the team don't see much change from the 5 win records in the regular season the first two years. Very difficult schedule this year as compared to last, which was the easiest schedule WVU has faced in more than a decade, yet the results were still 5 wins in the regular season even with a reduced number of games.
Your boyfriend would have failed in 2019. There wasn't shit on the offensive side of the ball. He ran scared to where he is now failing at a G5 school that was once a top 10 player.

Your boyfriend would have failed in 2019. There wasn't shit on the offensive side of the ball. He ran scared to where he is now failing at a G5 school that was once a top 10 player.

Why are you bumping a stupid thread from 2 months ago?

a 14-0 season with a national championship so we never, ever have to listen to bucky and vault bitch about Brown or WVU football again.

a 14-0 season with a national championship so we never, ever have to listen to bucky and vault bitch about Brown or WVU football

a 14-0 season with a national championship so we never, ever have to listen to bucky and vault bitch about Brown or WVU football again.
They would still be here for every basketball loss.

Reactions: WVUFanForever

Well shit if we are just going fantasies ... WVU goes 0-14, don't ask me how. During this time I inherit the entire Amazon empire, again don't ask me how. WVU in it's desperation turns to me and my money in exchange for making me the AD and HC ... and if you think "how" one more time ...

Well shit if we are just going fantasies ... WVU goes 0-14, don't ask me how. During this time I inherit the entire Amazon empire, again don't ask me how. WVU in it's desperation turns to me and my money in exchange for making me the AD and HC ... and if you think "how" one more time ...
I would suggest you hire bucky.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT