ADVERTISEMENT

Year 3 for Brown, what are you hoping to see?

Volatility

Senior
Jun 27, 2018
Charleston WV
www.equitysciences.com
We have to understand the state of the program when NB took the reigns. The previous staff's recruiting had significantly slipped the last few years, in addition when Brown was hired, he inherited one of the youngest rosters in all of D1. He did not have a blue chip or experienced QB, WR, RB, or OL. However in a short time, Brown has managed to outperform relative to formal expectations/projections, esp considering the talent & youth he was dealt. Also in this period, NB has managed to improve the overall talent level, however while they may have higher upside, they are all still very young & inexperienced.

We saw significant strides forward in year 2, in fact you could say by looking at the Defensive & Offensive metrics we were one of the most improved teams in all of D1, which is great, but we still have a long ways to go due to our starting point being so far behind our standards/expectations.

We all see the limitations of this team, they are pretty obvious actually. However even so, we were a missed goal-line PI away from beating Texas, and a crazy fumble away from beating Texas Tech, both of those games we should have won, so only looking at Wins/Losses for last year is not a fair assessment of progress. That said, and considering we are a year older with many returning players, what are your realistic expectations this year? While we are still a few years away from being where we want to be, Year 3 we should see another level of progress being made. While we did lose two critical back-end pieces to our Defense, and Darious, if our Defense can manage to make subtle improvements, that will be ok for me. Honestly, our offense is where I want to see the most improvement.

Considering we still have Doege, and an inexperienced but talent 2nd string in Greene, I think offensive creativity is something I hope to see. Obviously coaches have to work with what they have, which limits scheme creativity or application, Doege while serviceable, should manage to make progress too. Sparrow & Mathis also need to make progress, they will need to be contributors this year at some point, but it all starts with our OL.

From an OL perspective, I was a bit disappointed to not see more Zone Stretch schemes to help our young OL last year. From a blocking scheme perspective, id like to see more versatility or a broader range of applications, to be less predictive, which has been a serious issue the past two years. Our WR's have hopefully solved their butterfingers issues, cause it was a significant issue last year, not only the amount of drops, but when they occurred, it always seemed like it was a critical 3rd down.

Overall, our defense can make subtle improvements and/or be as good as they were last year, this year its up to our Offense to show significant progress to begin to be able to compete against higher caliber teams. Even if they do, we will still be a couple years away before Brown has that "Breakout Year". I think our 2020 & 2021 classes has a lot of potential, if Brown can fill a few critical holes via transfer/JUCO, when these classes are developed & experienced this is when I think we will begin to see the fruits of Brown's vision, as how he choose to build this program was the right way, its a long-term plan that requires patience and not sacrificing long term growth to grab every decent JUCO player possible simply to hit 7 wins. While these players are talented, they still require time to develop & grow into the player they will become, which requires 2-3 years. WVU is not a Blueblood that can get a program full of freshmen & sophmore bluechips and win like Bama, Clemson, OSU, etc... WVU has always been a team that typically needed experienced upperclassmen to compete at high levels.

While I hope we see another year of progress like we did last year, we will still be limited until we have a diverse & consistent QB that can lead this team down the field in critical moments, a versatile & consistent OL, WR's who can win 1vs1 and have high catch %'s, RBs who can get that first down when needed & hit that big play to secure a win, a Defense that can shut down an opponents momentum, that forces bad decisions & FGs. While NB wants to play a team game, meaning control ToP to help his Defense, this doesnt mean you cant be explosive or creative either. Im super excited NB hired Kirk C as an analyst, a quality & experienced OC that will surely help bring new ideas to our staff, hopefully we hire him in a more long term role next year, but in any case he'll still provide new ideas & concepts to our staff.

This year is going to come down to:

1. Can our Defense maintain the same level this year, or make subtle improvements.
2. Can our Offense reduce last year's limitations & predictability.

Keep in mind, it took Rich Rod & Dabo both 5 years...... 5 YEARS before they won their first major bowl game. Dabo also inherited a much better program who naturally recruited far better then WVU on average, so his starting point was much better. Brown is building this team the right way, its a slow process that requires patience, but everything of real & lasting value requires time. So just because "ITS YEAR 3" doesnt mean we should play in the Big12 Championship. As long as Brown continues to recruit well, we have to give those players time to develop. Patience is not a strong suit of fans who are emotionally child like, who are outraged we lost a game at the last second, but fail to see the progress in the year prior the same team beat us by 30. The level of improvement we seek within this program does not happen quickly, its a 4-6 year process.. My point, temper your expectations for this year and dont apply any meaning to "BUT ITS YEAR 3"...

People don't want to hear it but it needs to be said. No reason to rewrite history. WVU was NOT on some downward trend under the last several years of the previous staff.

Facts are here is the record of WVU coming into Brown's time:

2018 8-4 (3 points away from playing for a BIG 12 CCG. Top 10 offense in nation.)
2017 7-6
2016 10-3
2015 8-5
2014 7-6

Recruiting ratings (24/7)
2018 #35
2017 #57
2016 #39
2014 #39

So WVU was performing at a higher level in terms of wins (over history 7 win averaged per year) and recruiting wise, outside of 2017 was recruiting the same as always.

Here's the records AFTER Brown came in:
recruiting ranking
2020 #37
2019 #48

and win loss record:
2020 6-4
2019 5-7

Additionally, most of the production that Brown has seen from players came from players that remained from the previous staff.

1st year for Brown WVU was within the bottom 3 of every major college football team in rushing.
2nd year WVUs receivers were bottom ten in drops in NCAA football.

I expect Brown to be his own coach, not try to excuse away his records because of the previous staff.

I expect WVU to have a competent P5 offense with improvement every year that at least challenges for a BIG 12 title.

Based on all the hype so many put out, WVU should from time to time make major bowls and or an occasional playoff game and average at least 9 wins per year.

Right now, based on what has transpired and the outlook after so very many departures from the team don't see much change from the 5 win records in the regular season the first two years. Very difficult schedule this year as compared to last, which was the easiest schedule WVU has faced in more than a decade, yet the results were still 5 wins in the regular season even with a reduced number of games.

Bucky still masturbating over previous staff short lived success. Brown rebuilding the garbage left behind by clown shoes who is still trying to ruin Houston.

Get off the board with your many profiles dork.

I would expect no less than 7 wins with current QB. I want to see 8 or seat becomes hot. But I fully believe he is here no less than 5 years so Buckybutthole might as well leave the board until further notice.

Playing more games so that wouldn't be too hard.

Not losing to Tx Tech probably would be #1. Brown has separated the program from the rest except from Tx Tech.

Beat them. Then win against Oklahoma, Iowa State, Texas and Oklahoma State.
Brown is 0-7 against them so far.

Brown needs to open up his playbook or change up his offense.
Way too much talk about him being an offensive guru when he was hired, yet the results on the field are sad to watch.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Obviously, if WVU ever wants to be competitive they need excellent players. That means cut out the anti American hate towards the players, the attempted domination of everything they say and do with un American rules and letting hatemongers attack them on social media and or in public.

SImply can't be allowed. Start treating the players as the human individuals they are and take into account their views and opinions from everything from payer play to protests.

Obviously, if WVU ever wants to be competitive they need excellent players. That means cut out the anti American hate towards the players, the attempted domination of everything they say and do with un American rules and letting hatemongers attack them on social media and or in public.

SImply can't be allowed. Start treating the players as the human individuals they are and take into account their views and opinions from everything from payer play to protests.
Politic threads and commie pinko ideas belong on the off topic board.

Brown needs to open up his playbook or change up his offense.
Way too much talk about him being an offensive guru when he was hired, yet the results on the field are sad to watch.
I don't believe anyone ever called him an offensive guru. He never averaged that many points at Troy. He is more of a defense first guy.

His 4 years at troy he averaged 31.4 points a game. That's where he needs to get to so he can have WVU challenge for the top. Those 31 a game hardly yell guru. More like it says consistent.

Here at WVU the average has been 23.2 needs to add 10 points to that average and keep the same defensive play.

Now if recievers would learn to catch the ball.....

Reactions: Rootmaster
A couple of reality checks. Last year's 6 wins with the "easier schedule" is pretty hard to characterize when the 'easy' games were canceled. Like 2-6 FSU and 2-3 Maryland. Safe to say that was likely an 8 win team with one more loss to Oklahoma if played.

Clemson before Swinney? Let's see, 10 years with Tommy Bowden went 6-6, 9-3, 7-5, 7-6, 9-4, 6-5, 8-4, 8-5, 9-3, 3-3, then they took a chance on a coach with no HC experience and a funny nickname. His 3rd season was 6-7 and fans were calling for his and the AD's heads. Then he went 10-4 and the rest is rediculous.Before Swinney, Steve Spurrier owned Clemson at South Carolina.

No big deal, but WVU extrapolates into a descent season last year without cancellations and Clemson was an OK team before Swinney but nothing special. He turned their blood blue.

That every WVU players gives it his best shot, the Neal Brown prepares them well and that there are no serious injuries by the Mountaineers or their opponents. Trust the Climb is a nice slogan. I trust what I see with my eyes. And I hope for the best for my alma mater, as always. It will seem like a LONG time between WVU's second row March Madness game and the season opener for WVU football. Hopefully, after missing last season for the first time in 30 years, the pandemic will allow me to resume my season tickets seats at Mountaineer Field with me and my family seatmate.

Reactions: michaelwalkerbr
I don't believe anyone ever called him an offensive guru. He never averaged that many points at Troy. He is more of a defense first guy.

His 4 years at troy he averaged 31.4 points a game. That's where he needs to get to so he can have WVU challenge for the top. Those 31 a game hardly yell guru. More like it says consistent.

Here at WVU the average has been 23.2 needs to add 10 points to that average and keep the same defensive play.

Now if recievers would learn to catch the ball.....

That is why WVU has to do everything they can to keep Jordan Lesley.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
A couple of reality checks. Last year's 6 wins with the "easier schedule" is pretty hard to characterize when the 'easy' games were canceled. Like 2-6 FSU and 2-3 Maryland. Safe to say that was likely an 8 win team with one more loss to Oklahoma if played.

Clemson before Swinney? Let's see, 10 years with Tommy Bowden went 6-6, 9-3, 7-5, 7-6, 9-4, 6-5, 8-4, 8-5, 9-3, 3-3, then they took a chance on a coach with no HC experience and a funny nickname. His 3rd season was 6-7 and fans were calling for his and the AD's heads. Then he went 10-4 and the rest is rediculous.Before Swinney, Steve Spurrier owned Clemson at South Carolina.

No big deal, but WVU extrapolates into a descent season last year without cancellations and Clemson was an OK team before Swinney but nothing special. He turned their blood blue.

Huge difference

Clemson is in South Carolina
West Virginia isn't.

S Carolina raised the level of football in the state. Clemson had two choices.
Get ran over or raise their level
They did the latter. But they had a long losing streak to their in state rival.

EXCELLENT. WITHOUT COVID PROBABLY AN 8-4 SEASON, WHICH IS RESPECTABLE.

NOW, IF AMERICA WILL BE SMART ENOUGH TO GET VACCINES, WEAR MASKS MAYBE WE CAN HAVE A NORMAL SEASON IN 2021. I'VE ALREADY SENT IN MY MONEY FOR THE 2 SEASON TICKETS I'VE HAD FOR 30 YEARS, AND DIDN'T GET TO USE IN 2020 BECAUSE OF THE DAMNED PANDEMIC. I MISSED THE SEASON SO BADLY.

The opposite of this!!!

EXCELLENT. WITHOUT COVID PROBABLY AN 8-4 SEASON, WHICH IS RESPECTABLE.

NOW, IF AMERICA WILL BE SMART ENOUGH TO GET VACCINES, WEAR MASKS MAYBE WE CAN HAVE A NORMAL SEASON IN 2021. I'VE ALREADY SENT IN MY MONEY FOR THE 2 SEASON TICKETS I'VE HAD FOR 30 YEARS, AND DIDN'T GET TO USE IN 2020 BECAUSE OF THE DAMNED PANDEMIC. I MISSED THE SEASON SO BADLY.
8-4 is mediocre. 9 wins a season got Stewart fired.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
This season has nothing to do with the previous staff.

Previous staff downward trending recruits were All Americans and All Conference players too many to list.

So far Brown has ran off talent, brought in a well know issue on his staff, beat a One dimensional team in a low level bowl, lost multiple games that were there for the taking.

If he somehow turns out a 9 win season the previous staff gets credit for that too then right? I mean easily 60% of the roster is previous staff recruits.

When we struggle to finish above .500 everyone will see the writing on the wall for good.

So far all we really know is thank goodness the previous staff brought in guys like L Brown, The Stills bros, and Martin, Smith and Miller or the current staff would really be in trouble.

Brown has to win 8 easy at very least with it being obvious he could have won 9-10. Beating two of Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State or Iowa State also to prove he can elevate program to next level. Win a second level bowl against a decent P5/P6 opponent or it's another failure by Lyons. Right now he's at best the 6th best coach in the Big12. Reality

I was waiting for the first moron to use that worn out excuse. You're that moron lol.

WVU played maybe 2 teams in the Big East with equal or more talent during those years.

Now it is 3-5.

Takes time to develop talent. If WVU had one of the best rosters in the Big 12 and won only 8 games there will be issues.

But as of right now improving the roster is probably the most important thing.

MoronVS...so how is losing 17 players including starters and two deeps improving a roster? Mediocre once again...yeah us. And the Fake12 Conference is no better than the old Big East or today's AAC. One P5 team in Oklahoma and a flock of wannabes.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
Actually once again the BIG 12 was the toughest conference top to bottom. Went 5-0 in bowls too for the ignorant anti BIG 12 bashers.

Brown should have been able to do a better job last year though, lots of youth in the conference that he should have been able to handle. Going to get much tougher.

Losing so many players and depth is a major problem.

Bucky still masturbating over previous staff short lived success. Brown rebuilding the garbage left behind by clown shoes who is still trying to ruin Houston.

Get off the board with your many profiles dork.

I would expect no less than 7 wins with current QB. I want to see 8 or seat becomes hot. But I fully believe he is here no less than 5 years so Buckybutthole might as well leave the board until further notice.
I have a few people blocked here so I dont see those comments, what on earth did they say, that DH left a treasure trove and NB is under performing? Same ole story... Its honestly not even worth a reply anymore, its why I just block them...

Previous staff downward trending recruits were All Americans and All Conference players too many to list.

So far Brown has ran off talent, brought in a well know issue on his staff, beat a One dimensional team in a low level bowl, lost multiple games that were there for the taking.

If he somehow turns out a 9 win season the previous staff gets credit for that too then right? I mean easily 60% of the roster is previous staff recruits.

When we struggle to finish above .500 everyone will see the writing on the wall for good.

So far all we really know is thank goodness the previous staff brought in guys like L Brown, The Stills bros, and Martin, Smith and Miller or the current staff would really be in trouble.

Brown has to win 8 easy at very least with it being obvious he could have won 9-10. Beating two of Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State or Iowa State also to prove he can elevate program to next level. Win a second level bowl against a decent P5/P6 opponent or it's another failure by Lyons. Right now he's at best the 6th best coach in the Big12. Reality
Hilarious take.... Matt Campbell is considered to be one of the best coaches in the Country, in his first two years he won 11 games. Same as Neal Brown at WVU with two likely wins getting canceled last year, which would put him ahead by 2.

Who exactly on the 2019 team that NB inherited was High Impact All Americans? Colton M and ........ NB inherited a shit show, and every professional analysts knows it. Its why WVU's projections the first two years have been lower then usual. The top players in the 2017 & 2016 classes never really panned out or wasnt here when NB was hired. Tyrek Cole, B Ferns, Steven Smothers, etc, etc, etc... All the players that lifted the class rankings.

#InstaBlock

Iowa State dominated a team in Oregon who supposedly pride's itself on physicality.

Iowa State plays at an extremely high level.
They have moved into that legit Top 10 category.

No reason why that cannot be WVU.

Starts up front..
Neal Brown/Parker/Moore improves the OLine in 2021 you know you are heading in that right direction.

Took Campbell time....
Plus Iowa State did lose to ULL. Don't get me wrong ULL is a great team but Iowa State still isn't where they need to be yet.
Even with a blowout win against Oregon.

They took an L to Oklahoma State and were a few inches from taking an L to Texas.
All Texas had to do was convert a 4th & 1

42 minutes of Possession
200+ rushing yards to 60....
Didn't complete a third or fourth down

Oregon hadn't been dominated that way for awhile. Maybe since 2016.

But the team needs to get better up front to face that ..
Starts on the OL.

Logical humans understand that for non-blueblood programs who are lead by coaches who dont consistently recruit well, when they happen to have a Senior laden team thats good, when they leave/graduate, the next few years are not filled with W's..

Simple & basic team data also shows NB inherited one of the youngest programs in all of D1. While we should begin to see another layer of progress this year, ultimately we will be limited until we find a high caliber QB. Greene may be our answer, but hes just a RFresh, and going through his first spring practice, but Doege should also make significant strides in Year 2.. While the talent NB is bringing in, may have higher upside, when you look at OL, WR, RB, & QB's, they are mostly Fresh & Soph... If Dh built a consistent winner, he wouldnt have gotten smoked by Syracuse.. BTW, how many points didthat high powered offense score in that game...

If your starting point/floor is high, I would have different expectations, real WVU fans even probably find it hard to admit but it was a dumpster fire... Thats why its really not logical to seriously judge until NB's recruits have time to develop, grow, and get experience. When the 2020 class are upperclassmen, is when we should start raising the expectations. Until then, we just hope to see steady gains, similar to the difference between Year 1 and Year 2. That said, even Matt Campbell had a down year in his 4th year with only 7 Wins... Considering the talent & experience gap between Texas & WVU, for the game to come down to blatantly biased BIG12REFS who missed a goal-line PI that would have surely resulted in points, or Sam James with one of the craziest fumbles in WVU history vs TTU.. Not to mention the two probable wins that was canceled, I think NB is ahead of schedule to be honest, esp factoring in the hole he's had to lead them to CLIMB out of...

Any rate, 7 wins should be obtainable this year, hopefully 8, but Maryland has been recruiting very well and VT is not going to be a push over either... So I think 7 is a reasonable number this year, with 8 being possible. However my personal hopes will probably increase whenever its Greene's time to take the reigns. A more diverse skillset organically reduces predictability, a confining issue the last two years, largely talent & experience related.

Reactions: Euell
Tx Tech is the anomaly.
But TCU is on the other side as well.

But WVU is pretty simple

Teams that WVU have more talent than they beat
Teams that they don't they lose.

Watch the losses last year.
You notice the issues with the OLine.

WVU was dominated up front.

Dana was able to find ways around this through play calling.
Neal Brown wants to build a complete team.

This is why Texas gave WVU the entire field....
Because they used the redzone as an extra defender.
Because WVU couldn't push them off the LOS.

That is one of the main reasons they fired Tom Herman
He waited until the end to put 60 on teams. After he knew his job was in jeopardy
Should have been doing it all year.
That is why the new coach is talking about All Gas No Brakes

Funny. You should tour.

Reactions: Euell
Hilarious take.... Matt Campbell is considered to be one of the best coaches in the Country, in his first two years he won 11 games. Same as Neal Brown at WVU with two likely wins getting canceled last year, which would put him ahead by 2.

Who exactly on the 2019 team that NB inherited was High Impact All Americans? Colton M and ........ NB inherited a shit show, and every professional analysts knows it. Its why WVU's projections the first two years have been lower then usual. The top players in the 2017 & 2016 classes never really panned out or wasnt here when NB was hired. Tyrek Cole, B Ferns, Steven Smothers, etc, etc, etc... All the players that lifted the class rankings.

#InstaBlock
Matt Campbell was 8-5 in his second year and beat highly regarded OU that year. He didn't just win 5 games. Not the same as Brown at all. Not close.

Also the team that Campbell inherited was NOT close to being BIG 12 champions.

The team that Brown inherited had a 10 win and couple of 8 win seasons, never won less than 7 games and was 3 pts from beating playoff contending OU. Had a top 10 offense. To try and ignore that and paint it as some sort of losing team, when that's what Brown has actually produced is ignoring reality.

Dabo obviously took them into Blue Blood territory and has maintained that distinction. When you look at Clemson recruiting before Dabo, they was consistently ranked in the top 25. Also due to their location, they are better positioned geographically then WVU, and they have a far wealthier donor base too. WVU is just now catching up from being a full BIG12 member now for the past few years. NB will have a more challenging path to achieving a similar goal for various reasons, but any quality coach needs time to implement their culture, vision, incrementally improve talent level, then develop that talent, then get them experienced & productive. Its a slow process that requires 4-6 years.. Im not a fan of firing & hiring coaches every 3 years, unless its blatantly obvious they are not the one to build or maintain. NB should have had at least 8 wins last yr, 9 without biased BIG12REFS or a crazy fumble by Sam James vs TTU... The missed goalline PI vs Texas was so obvious, even the announcers was like WTF... Still pisses me off today thinking about it. Just goes to show, when you play OU or Texas, you have to beat them & the officials..

From a money perspective, there are ways the MAC can drastically improve Donations/Impact efficiency, but it requires some shifts of perspective and being a little more creative. Ive written several articles about how the right multi-value multi-entry quantitative concepts consistently outperform the SP every year, producing 24%-36% return per yr. Using compounded growth, the return generated from this type of portfolio, could be used to pay Staff salaries, so the funds could be applied elsewhere to ensure we remain on the front end of facility quality & athlete resources. While $ doesnt buy wins, it can help the staff improve the talent level. When WVU has been extremely competitive, creativity has been our edge, we have to think differently to extract more value from our fanbase & supporters. One way would be to generate a compounded return from the actual donations. To do so in a low risk way, by applying these certain multi-alpha concepts to Blue Chip Dividend Stocks & Index ETF's. Even if the portfolio was tuned for a lower risk profile, it would still produce 16%-24% per yr. If you had a $20Mill portfolio, and let it grow for 3 years, this would provide a very healthy yearly payment to the University to cover Staff salaries. Producing $6.5mill-$8mill per yr for the University. Allowing us to hire the best recruiters, coaches, analyst, & support staff possible..

Any rate, I am glad to see Lyons initiate new MAC programs to ignite more participation, which should help..

Matt Campbell was 8-5 in his second year and beat highly regarded OU that year. He didn't just win 5 games. Not the same as Brown at all. Not close.

Also the team that Campbell inherited was NOT close to being BIG 12 champions.

The team that Brown inherited had a 10 win and couple of 8 win seasons, never won less than 7 games and was 3 pts from beating playoff contending OU. Had a top 10 offense. To try and ignore that and paint it as some sort of losing team, when that's what Brown has actually produced is ignoring reality.

Matt Campbell is averaging 7 wins a season. He was 7-5 in his 2nd season and won his bowl game to go 8-5. Brown was 5-4 in his second season that was covid controlled and won his bowl game to finish 6-4. The team that Brown inherited of 10 win and 8 win seasons was no longer at WVU. They had graduated, transferred or flunked out of school. At least 4 of them were booted for Academic Fraud. The OL was entirely new except 1 tackle. WR were new except 2 of them and QB was new that had never started a game before. Brown has yet to have a full recruiting year until now.

You don't live in reality so how would you know what reality is vaulthunter-bucky? Oh and those teams you speak of couldn't beat Syracuse in bowl games. I see a theme there between basketball and football.

Those teams of 8 and 10 wins lost majority of their games at the end of the season.

Reactions: Volatility
To me its pretty obvious. Two 7 win seasons, two 8 win seasons and a 10 win season leading into the current HC.

Same league.

Since the new HC came in, two 5 win regular seasons- last year only 10 games played so OU and one of the major P5 teams didn't play a part in those losses.

If the same result happens again? Those paying the bills have no choice but to have a closer look at what is going on.

WVU needed to be built into a consistent championship level team, not burned down and rebuilt as though football had never been played at WVU and there had never been success there. The final year of the previous staff the team was 3 pts from playing in the BIG 12 CCG.

Now, this is where WVU is currently--in the ashes after everything that came before was torched and cleared.

Can the current coach make something better from the ground zero he created? This year will be telling. If not the money people have some decisions to make before the fanbase is gone.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT