ADVERTISEMENT

The Good, Bad and Ugly of Neal Brown

There are those that are desperate for Neal Brown to fail and be run out of town, fleeing from a lynch mob wielding torches and pitch forks. This must happen because they have invested their very character in the belief that Dana Holgorsen was THE MAN. If he was not the man, then neither are they.

Their fear is not that Neal Brown will be run out of town for a lack of success, but that he will be successful and never leave; relegating Dana to the scrap yard of under-performing coaches that have littered its past by comparison.
Since there has NEVER happened, it's not likely. Don't bring up Nehlen. He had his bags packed for Ohio State, which decided not to hire him. WVU's history, like it or not, is that they are successful and leave (Bowden, Rodriguez, Carlen) or are not and are fired. It's my alma mater and I love her but I can't ignore history. If Neal Brown is successful I'll just enjoy the years he is at WVU, as I did with Dana, Rich, etc.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
There is simply 0 evidence to claim Neal Brown better than or at anything than DH.

No matter what DH did you would not reapect him or WVU football.

In the end what will matter for Neal Brown is winning football games. So far with all the players he has pushed out that wont be easy.

And as far as anything else, you worry about you, I never have nor never will let a troll boy tell me what to do.

So when someone proves you wrong it means they are a troll. Give me the proof that NB pushed those players out. This is not UNC where the players are allowed a pass for poor grades. What does reapect mean? Never heard of that word. Is it new?

Dana never proved he could win. Respect him no. Wanted him to succeed yes. I'm a WVU fan inside and out.

As far as Dana is your concern, you can become a Houston fan and your life will be happier as well as ours.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Since there has NEVER happened, it's not likely. Don't bring up Nehlen. He had his bags packed for Ohio State, which decided not to hire him. WVU's history, like it or not, is that they are successful and leave (Bowden, Rodriguez, Carlen) or are not and are fired. It's my alma mater and I love her but I can't ignore history. If Neal Brown is successful I'll just enjoy the years he is at WVU, as I did with Dana, Rich, etc.

Well, since I never said that, you can retract your attack or be regarded as a dunderhead. But, just because has never happened, does not mean it can't, Mr. Newspaper Man. You of all people should know something so basic.

Looks, I do not have much respect for you, so I will get that out of the way. You are intentionally obnoxious to others on your insistence to using this horrid red type and you want very much to be worshiped after your self-anointment of the All-Knowing-of-all-Things-WVU, but lets face the fact, that you get a lot of it wrong.

But, if you must look for precedence then look to the world of politics. I hate to go there but for some of you that arena is just as filled with passion as college football is. President Trump is not hated by so many because of what he might do but because of what he has done. The bigger fear is that, in spite of the structure of our government, he will not leave when his time comes to an end.

That same mentality can be seen by those here that will not give up in Dana Holgorsen, even though he is long gone. We still have people that would give their left gonad if The Product were to walk back in the door. Likewise, there are more than a few that get bent out of shape when anything anti-Stewart crosses this board.

So, you can take your poorly aimed attack and stick it up your ass.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Looks like I have gotten under your skin. So I am wondering about your comment about not trusting Dana’s process, yet your belief that WVU should be happy settling for table scraps and knowing it’s place. So either WVU has no shot to ever do anything, or we trust the process of Dana and we excel... which is it?

Your question is dumb for the simple reason that every coach promises the moon when they get hired.

Regardless, since my response is clearly important to you, I will answer your question.

No man or woman on earth can tell the future.

I do know that WVU started a women’s soccer program less than 25 years ago and have been the dominant program in the B12, winning 5 straight conference regular season titles, and playing in the national championship game a couple of years ago. The WVU rifle team is the elite program in the country, winning 19 national championships. With the comparatively limited resources WVU has, there is no reason all other big time schools shouldn’t be doing better in those sports than WVU.

WVU has played for a national championship in football in 1988. We would have made the playoffs in 93 had they existed since we finished the regular season 11-0 and ranked #3. We would have been in the national title game in 2007 had RichRod not blown the game against Pitt. So the flashes of greatness have been there, which to me suggests the potential is there.

Comparatively speaking, Texas has all the resources in the world and has never made a final four, while little ole WVU has been to 2.

We are one of less than 10 schools to have played in at least 35 bowls and made at least 25 NCAA tournaments.

Had we had the benefit of being a part of a traditional all sports conference for the last 70 years like so many of today’s “elite” schools, there is no telling where we would be. Imagine where Texas would be if they had not had incompetent leadership wasting resources and making bad decision after bad decision.

If we had all the resources Texas has had and wasted, shoot, we would be the most successful program of all time.

So pound for pound, all things considered, resource to resource, WVU is one of the most successful schools in the country, period.

There is no reason WVU can’t be an elite school with the complete commitment from its stakeholders. So, no, Neal Brown was not just talking out of his butt.

Combination of some fact and fiction in your post.

Not every coach tells their fanbase that someday they will be elite.
This is what Neal Brown said. My problem is why he had to say it and if he will be held accountable.

Expectations are skyhigh right now. We can debate if this should be the case or not but you cannot debate that most around the program are thinking that WV should compete for Big 12 championships every year and that they will be.

If this doesn't happen with Neal Brown is he a failure. Is he is a failure if he wins only 4 games this year.
Some are talking about WV most likely being a 8-4 team.

Message boards in general are reactionary.

I didn't defend Dana Holgersen because of him I defended DH because some of the attacks were unwarranted.
I am sure you build Neal Brown up like you did Dana Holgersen. I already heard some who thought Dana was a QB guru.

I am pretty sure I will be having to defend NB in the future. This is my point. If you actually go with that is going on and not what you want to go on.

It isn't an attack on WV because a lot of schools take 2-3 years to fix.

Well, since I never said that, you can retract your attack or be regarded as a dunderhead. But, just because has never happened, does not mean it can't, Mr. Newspaper Man. You of all people should know something so basic.

Looks, I do not have much respect for you, so I will get that out of the way. You are intentionally obnoxious to others on your insistence to using this horrid red type and you want very much to be worshiped after your self-anointment of the All-Knowing-of-all-Things-WVU, but lets face the fact, that you get a lot of it wrong.

But, if you must look for precedence then look to the world of politics. I hate to go there but for some of you that arena is just as filled with passion as college football is. President Trump is not hated by so many because of what he might do but because of what he has done. The bigger fear is that, in spite of the structure of our government, he will not leave when his time comes to an end.

That same mentality can be seen by those here that will not give up in Dana Holgorsen, even though he is long gone. We still have people that would give their left gonad if The Product were to walk back in the door. Likewise, there are more than a few that get bent out of shape when anything anti-Stewart crosses this board.

So, you can take your poorly aimed attack and stick it up your ass.
How dumb does someone have to be to think Trump wont leave when it is his time? Did some mental midget on CNN or MSNBC say that and make you believe that is possible? Sad.

This is what Neal Brown said.
My problem is why he had to say it and if he will be held accountable.

Expectations are skyhigh right now. We can debate if this should be the case or not but you cannot debate that most around the program are thinking that WV should compete for Big 12 championships every year and that they will be.

If this doesn't happen with Neal Brown is he a failure. Is he is a failure if he wins only 4 games this year.

Already at WVU, Brown said he has met with players. He said there will be three things in the program he will emphasize primarily – developing young men, making sure that players graduate and are set up to achieve their future endeavors and winning games.

Players, who he referred to as student-athletes multiple times, will always be the top priority while he is the head coach of the Mountaineers, Brown said.

Brown said the expectations for WVU players will be to always carry themselves in a professional manner. He said they also will be expected to compete in every area, from the classroom to the field.

The athletic director also said he likes the attitude of the teams that have been led by Brown.

“His teams play with a chip on their shoulder and with a blue collar mentality, which fits us perfectly,” he said.

Brown, who was officially named WVU’s 35th head football coach on Saturday, is one of just six FBS coaches to win 10 or more games in each of the last three seasons.

I'm still looking for the comment you stated that he made. Please link it.

Already at WVU, Brown said he has met with players. He said there will be three things in the program he will emphasize primarily – developing young men, making sure that players graduate and are set up to achieve their future endeavors and winning games.

Players, who he referred to as student-athletes multiple times, will always be the top priority while he is the head coach of the Mountaineers, Brown said.

Brown said the expectations for WVU players will be to always carry themselves in a professional manner. He said they also will be expected to compete in every area, from the classroom to the field.

The athletic director also said he likes the attitude of the teams that have been led by Brown.

“His teams play with a chip on their shoulder and with a blue collar mentality, which fits us perfectly,” he said.

Brown, who was officially named WVU’s 35th head football coach on Saturday, is one of just six FBS coaches to win 10 or more games in each of the last three seasons.

I'm still looking for the comment you stated that he made. Please link it.

Not going to waste my time....

Neal Brown said, "We are not elite right now and I don't know when we will be elite but we will be elite."

If you want to find that it is on you. Not going to go dig up something.

As of right now Neal Brown can do no wrong. When Dana left he couldn't do anything right.
This comes from somewhere. Everyone has their faults and will make mistakes. Even Neal Brown. Like I said I think he is a vast improvement over Dana off the field. A lot of that stuff off the field doesn't turn into wins especially in this conference.
Gundy is a jerk who rubs his players the wrong way but when it comes down to running an offense very few coaches are much better.

Not going to waste my time....

Neal Brown said, "We are not elite right now and I don't know when we will be elite but we will be elite."

If you want to find that it is on you. Not going to go dig up something.

As of right now Neal Brown can do no wrong. When Dana left he couldn't do anything right.
This comes from somewhere. Everyone has their faults and will make mistakes. Even Neal Brown. Like I said I think he is a vast improvement over Dana off the field. A lot of that stuff off the field doesn't turn into wins especially in this conference.
Gundy is a jerk who rubs his players the wrong way but when it comes down to running an offense very few coaches are much better.

In other words he never made that statement. You are just making shit up and throwing it against the wall.

It’s spring, but head coach Neal Brown is already seeing tons of positives out of his new team. After just four practices he is calling his shot.

“I have no idea when we’re going to be great, but we’re going to be great. It’s not an ‘if’ to me, it’s a ‘when’. We’re going to be great, I’m just not sure when. But I like this group.”

He made this statement to the media. Not the players. Nowhere in that statement does it say elite. Now run along while adults talk.

In other words he never made that statement. You are just making shit up and throwing it against the wall.

It’s spring, but head coach Neal Brown is already seeing tons of positives out of his new team. After just four practices he is calling his shot.

“I have no idea when we’re going to be great, but we’re going to be great. It’s not an ‘if’ to me, it’s a ‘when’. We’re going to be great, I’m just not sure when. But I like this group.”

He made this statement to the media. Not the players. Nowhere in that statement does it say elite. Now run along while adults talk.

Elite or great doesn't matter.

To the media is worse than to the players.

He made the statement. Why he made the statement is something that can be debated.

From what I have seen....

Neal Brown is a great coach so don't get me wrong but what some are predicting to happen may not happen.
Expectations will kill a coach faster than anything.

This usually takes time.
Dana Holgersen was going through a process at WV. There were peaks and down years.
Down years weren't awful but the peaks weren't good enough.
Every program has peaks and down years.
What will be Neal Brown's are debatable.

I think 5-7 or 6-6 in a down year

9-3 and 10-2 on a peak.

But Dana Holgersen's peaks were getting better. The last one was of course 2018.

This is what Neal Brown said. My problem is why he had to say it and if he will be held accountable.

Please give me an example of the fiction part of my post.

We both know you are not stupid enough to believe anyone will think he is a failure this fall if he wins only 4 games. Why would you even attempt to use that in your argument. You are better than that. Did you just get lazy?

Reactions: WVUALLEN

We both know you are not stupid enough to believe anyone will think he is a failure this fall if he wins only 4 games. Why would you even attempt to use that in your argument. You are better than that. Did you just get lazy?

Worse thing you can do is lie to yourself.

Makes really no difference to me. WV has a good fanbase so the Big 12 is better when they compete with Texas and Oklahoma.

I will give you that.

If you can't admit that these expectations of Neal Brown are not based in reality and could hurt Neal Brown in the future than that is on you.
I guess most felt the same way about Dana and the Orange Bowl probably hurt him more than it helped him long-term.

Dana wasn't a horrible coach. Not even average. Average to horrible coaches in the Big 12 for West Virginia will be at best a 6-6 or 7-5 team and at worse 2-10 or 3-9.
Happened with Oklahoma in John Blake and Texas with Charlie Strong.

There is no proof of this.

Don't you think Will Grier improved.
Grier wouldn't have came to WV without having what they had.

Attacks on Dana should be also met with truths about him.

Neal Brown did bring in two transfer QBs already.
You can say that because of Dana but you don't know that for sure until he develops one at WV.
He did have a decent QB at Troy. A borderline NFL player. Probably could be third string if he fit a system.

He is not better than that. He is a troll and a troublemaker.

There is no proof of this.

Don't you think Will Grier improved.
Grier wouldn't have came to WV without having what they had.

Attacks on Dana should be also met with truths about him.

Neal Brown did bring in two transfer QBs already.
You can say that because of Dana but you don't know that for sure until he develops one at WV.
He did have a decent QB at Troy. A borderline NFL player. Probably could be third string if he fit a system.
Skyler Howard, Paul Millard, and Chugs were all busts that were recruited by Dana out of high school. We won with Geno, Grier, and Trickett.

Don't think Howard was really a bust.
Did show that WV could win with different QBs.
Truthfully thought Trickett was an alpha and left it all on the field.
For the most part you can't fault DH for QB play.

Oklahoma is on their third straight transfer.
No one says Riley can't develop a QB.
Transfer QBs are the norm for the most part or at least a good portion of the Top 25.

Think the majority of Top 2016 QBs have transferred

So when someone proves you wrong it means they are a troll. Give me the proof that NB pushed those players out. This is not UNC where the players are allowed a pass for poor grades. What does reapect mean? Never heard of that word. Is it new?

Dana never proved he could win. Respect him no. Wanted him to succeed yes. I'm a WVU fan inside and out.

As far as Dana is your concern, you can become a Houston fan and your life will be happier as well as ours.

Give me proof that DH didn't have "values".

Give me proof that Holgorsen pushed out players.

Brown came on board and many players have left instead of playing another down rather than play for Brown. That is all the evidence required.

As for winning, Holgorsen is in the WVU history books as one of the winningest coaches in WVUs history, but he faced by far the most difficult circumstances and schedule of anyone ever coaching at WVU.

As for trolls--do you really take everyone for fools? You and a few others spend all day and night trolling here--to the point that nearly no one else even posts anymore.

Give your poor little hurt feelings a rest. No one cares and you haven't fooled anyone.

Give me proof that Holgorsen pushed out players.

Brown came on board and many players have left instead of playing another down rather than play for Brown. That is all the evidence required.

As for winning, Holgorsen is in the WVU history books as one of the winningest coaches in WVUs history, but he faced by far the most difficult circumstances and schedule of anyone ever coaching at WVU.

As for trolls--do you really take everyone for fools? You and a few others spend all day and night trolling here--to the point that nearly no one else even posts anymore.

Give your poor little hurt feelings a rest. No one cares and you haven't fooled anyone.

The guys on this forum are right. You're just plain stupid.

61-41 doesn't say much about WVU if he's one of the coaches with most wins ever. He averaged a 7-5 record a year.

Jones announced his decision to transfer to Youngstown State shortly after last season concluded, so the two-year starting center was never in Brown’s plans.

Offensive lineman Dontae Angus, hasn’t been listed on WVU’s roster since the spring of 2017.

Simms was on the field for the first couple of days of spring practice, but shortly after that, he was a no-show for what Brown called “a personal issue.” Simms never returned to practice and eventually showed up in the transfer portal. (pushed out. more like being involved in a scandal with 2 other WVU players).

Pitts found out nobody wanted him so he ends up at Marshall.

Every student-athlete who transfers does so for his own individual reason. Student-athletes aren’t indentured servants, and shouldn’t be bound to one school throughout their college careers if they don’t want to be there. Coaches who have contracts and make millions are not bound as such, so why should the student-athletes?

It’s not necessary enjoyable, but it’s just part of life in college athletics today.

As far as Holgorsen, he doesn't coach here any longer. Move on little billy.

Reactions: Rootmaster

His demeanor. His on field actions. His off field actions. His snarky retorts to anyone who questioned him. His colluding with Houston before the season was over. His lack of recruiting efforts. His actions with the Houston "mafia". There are hundreds more examples DumbBuck. Of course you being you will refuse to accept them.

Reactions: Euell and WVUALLEN

Makes really no difference to me. WV has a good fanbase so the Big 12 is better when they compete with Texas and Oklahoma.

I will give you that.

If you can't admit that these expectations of Neal Brown are not based in reality and could hurt Neal Brown in the future than that is on you.
I guess most felt the same way about Dana and the Orange Bowl probably hurt him more than it helped him long-term.

Dana wasn't a horrible coach. Not even average. Average to horrible coaches in the Big 12 for West Virginia will be at best a 6-6 or 7-5 team and at worse 2-10 or 3-9.

I don’t even know where you are going with this anymore. You seem to just want to focus on a claim that Neal Brown said WVU will be elite. Oh the horror. Is that supposed to be your big coup, if he doesn’t win 5 games this fall he won’t be elite? How will we ever recover.

I will give you that.

Dana had an average record of 7-5 (4-5) in Big 12. He won 10 games twice. Big East 10 win season was in a crumbling Big East. The Big 12's 10 win season ended in collapse. Last years season of which they should have won the conference and went to Big 12 title game. But it was another season ending collapse and 3 straight losses. Dana had never been a HC until WVU. Perhaps the lessons he learned will help him in Houston. If successful he will likely leave to another P5 team.

Sure Neal Brown comes in with promise. But has HC experience. Will that translate to wins? Nobody knows. I suspect a 4-8 start with fans exploding. Heck the fan base of 2001 blew a gasket when Rod went 3-8 to start his career at WVU. I praise Neal Brown for being a family man with integrity and honesty. He will give his best to win. Not saying Dana didn't do his best but to fans it didn't translate that way. Perhaps because of his inexperience as an HC and dealing with Media 24-7. One thing was he got off to a bad start by being booted from a casino drunk off his ass and embarrassing the The Alma Mater.

I have faith that Neal Brown turns it around but it may take 2 seasons to do so. WVU has averaged a 7-5 or 6-5 in the past of average winning seasons. Even back in the pre 1950's it was more like 5-5 or 5-4. So if Neal Brown picks it up and averages 8,9 or 10 win seasons, he will be praised. Then Kentucky will come calling. Will WVU match their offers? I don't know. But the biggest problem will be Kentucky is his home.

Dana had an average record of 7-5 (4-5) in Big 12. He won 10 games twice. Big East 10 win season was in a crumbling Big East. The Big 12's 10 win season ended in collapse. Last years season of which they should have won the conference and went to Big 12 title game. But it was another season ending collapse and 3 straight losses. Dana had never been a HC until WVU. Perhaps the lessons he learned will help him in Houston. If successful he will likely leave to another P5 team.

Sure Neal Brown comes in with promise. But has HC experience. Will that translate to wins? Nobody knows. I suspect a 4-8 start with fans exploding. Heck the fan base of 2001 blew a gasket when Rod went 3-8 to start his career at WVU. I praise Neal Brown for being a family man with integrity and honesty. He will give his best to win. Not saying Dana didn't do his best but to fans it didn't translate that way. Perhaps because of his inexperience as an HC and dealing with Media 24-7. One thing was he got off to a bad start by being booted from a casino drunk off his ass and embarrassing the The Alma Mater.

I have faith that Neal Brown turns it around but it may take 2 seasons to do so. WVU has averaged a 7-5 or 6-5 in the past of average winning seasons. Even back in the pre 1950's it was more like 5-5 or 5-4. So if Neal Brown picks it up and averages 8,9 or 10 win seasons, he will be praised. Then Kentucky will come calling. Will WVU match their offers? I don't know. But the biggest problem will be Kentucky is his home.

Remember Brown left UK to finish his playing career elsewhere. And WV is not like it’s 1000 miles away from KY. Not saying the pull to leave for UK isn’t strong, but our best hope is Stoops continues to do well. And there is no guarantee UK would come after Brown. But that is not something we need to worry about in 2019.

Never really understood the desperate need of some to constantly smear Dana Holgorsen with lies and innuendo and to downrate all his accomplishments and puff up any misteps.

But Neal Brown will have to stand on his own two feet.

Every coach has " values", but what fans want are wins. If Brown isnt successful that is what he will and should be judged on. That is what will determine his success or not. Could care less if some in the fanbase " identify" with him or not. He is supposed to be all that-- lets see it quickly or move on.

If you railed against the last coach but praise the new one for having less success than the last one just because you like his " values" better than the previous staff, then you probably need to work out some things.

The issue for me is that every coach that has been great in all of history shared a better than average work ethic, a methodical approach to the fundamentals, and valuing doing it right EVERY time in practice until doing it right is muscle memory. Not a single successful football coach just flew by the seat of their pants or sacrificed basics for flashiness and were elite coaches. So Dana taking the approach of the latter pretty much guarantees he would never truly compete. Neal Brown while appearing to be more like the former could still fail and may even do worse than Dana, but his ceiling already appears higher because he doesn't have the anchor of being slack on the basics that Dana did.

Skyler was only a bust if you have been hit in the head many times.

Skyler was not a bust, but let's not forget he benefited from a rarity under Dana, a decent defense. BYU (35-32), KSU (17-16), Texas (24-20), and Baylor (24-21) were all games that could have been lost with just about any other defense during Dana's era. The incompetence of that team was on display in the bowl game when after 8 WVU possessions and 7 Miami possessions the score was 7-7. Then Miami reeled off 4 consecutive scoring drives and WVU managed only 1 touchdown in its remaining 4 possessions. Obviously if Skyler and that offense were on the level of Grier, practically zero chance WVU only has 7 points in 8 drives.

Remember Brown left UK to finish his playing career elsewhere. And WV is not like it’s 1000 miles away from KY. Not saying the pull to leave for UK isn’t strong, but our best hope is Stoops continues to do well. And there is no guarantee UK would come after Brown. But that is not something we need to worry about in 2019.

This is all true. Being a HC in Kentucky football is more than likely tougher than being one in West Virginia. SEC or not. Kentucky without a doubt is basketball first then football.

Bob Stoops record is not impressive. 36-39 (17-31) but they just had their best season since Rich Brooks in 2006 and 2007. Let's hope that continues.

Kentucky has won two conference championships. Sagarin retro computer perspective awarded Kentucky and Bear Bryant a championship in 1950.

How dumb does someone have to be to think Trump wont leave when it is his time? Did some mental midget on CNN or MSNBC say that and make you believe that is possible? Sad.

No, I do not believe that. He will leave when his term is up, same as every president before him. I was alluding to the mentality of people that fall for such things, not that I subscribed to them. That was the same mistake CFE made when he read my other post. Read what I say, not what you think I say.

Reactions: dave
Skyler was not a bust, but let's not forget he benefited from a rarity under Dana, a decent defense. BYU (35-32), KSU (17-16), Texas (24-20), and Baylor (24-21) were all games that could have been lost with just about any other defense during Dana's era. The incompetence of that team was on display in the bowl game when after 8 WVU possessions and 7 Miami possessions the score was 7-7. Then Miami reeled off 4 consecutive scoring drives and WVU managed only 1 touchdown in its remaining 4 possessions. Obviously if Skyler and that offense were on the level of Grier, practically zero chance WVU only has 7 points in 8 drives.
No doubt he had a good defense. You dont won 10 games without defense. Miami was a young talented team that just better at the end if that year.

Texass doin Texass things

Not really....

I am high on Neal Brown regarding certain things.

Like I said before Dana was fired I thought WV needed a PJ Fleck type coach.
Brown isn't PJ Fleck and WV isn't Minnesota but doesn't mean Neal Brown doesn't need to start building a foundation for a winning team in his third of fourth year.
These years right now don't really matter but what does is a foundation for a peak year.
WV isn't in the B1G West and the Big 12 is a lot more athletic than those teams but who says you can't build a foundation of hard working players with a desire to win that are athletic as well.

No doubt he had a good defense. You dont won 10 games without defense. Miami was a young talented team that just better at the end if that year.

I'm not trashing Miami, but I don't think they were that great. I don't think that the 2016 WVU team was any better than the 2014 7-5 team with Trickett and White when you look at the schedule. Alabama was better than BYU. KSU, Oklahoma, Baylor, and TCU were head and shoulders better in that year than what they were in 2016. I think this team got those 10 wins because of right place, right time. Exchange the rosters and keep the schedule the same, I bet the 7-5 2014 team has as good results.

Not really....

I am high on Neal Brown regarding certain things.

Like I said before Dana was fired I thought WV needed a PJ Fleck type coach.
Brown isn't PJ Fleck and WV isn't Minnesota but doesn't mean Neal Brown doesn't need to start building a foundation for a winning team in his third of fourth year.
These years right now don't really matter but what does is a foundation for a peak year.
WV isn't in the B1G West and the Big 12 is a lot more athletic than those teams but who says you can't build a foundation of hard working players with a desire to win that are athletic as well.

Dana was not fired. It was a mutual agreement. WVU had no intentions of renegotiating his contract. Dana chose to leave. It was a clean divorce not a nasty one.

Fleck is sucking at Minnesota.

DH would have been fired sometime during this coming season as the team once again struggled to be a "team". He knew it and engineered a deal in Houston....while working for WVU...to go there. That was both opportunistic and underhanded...both traits he showed consistently. Good riddance to the louse.

Woo, boy, we need for football season to start. Some people obviously are going bonkers waiting for it to happen. I prefer to evaluate what I see on the field and TV by my alma mater. Come on, James Madison opener!!!!

Holgorsen might have run his course in Morgantown. There were reported contract issues at WVU, which wasn’t willing to pay Holgorsen the $4 million per year he’s apparently getting at Houston. West Virginia could pay that, of course. Athletic director Shane Lyons perhaps just didn’t think it was prudent.

Being that his contract buyout was 2.5 million before Jan 1 if he left. Both parties agreed to the 1 million departure. Holgorsen wasn’t about to lose his job at WVU, but there were reasons for both sides to be ready for a change.

https://oklahoman.com/article/5619214/is-houston-a-better-job-than-west-virginia

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...a-holgorsen-hired-houston-coach-west-virginia

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT