ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release WVU Football to Face Delaware State in 2017

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
Football to Face Delaware State in 2017

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (June 20, 2016) -West Virginia University Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Shane Lyons has announced that the Mountaineers will play host to Delaware State at Milan Puskar Stadium on Sept. 16, 2017.

This marks the first-ever meeting with Delaware State. West Virginia will face Virginia Tech at FedExField in Landover, Maryland, on Sept. 2 and East Carolina in Morgantown on Sept. 9, to round out

Football to Face Delaware State in 2017

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (June 20, 2016) -West Virginia University Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Shane Lyons has announced that the Mountaineers will play host to Delaware State at Milan Puskar Stadium on Sept. 16, 2017.

This marks the first-ever meeting with Delaware State. West Virginia will face Virginia Tech at FedExField in Landover, Maryland, on Sept. 2 and East Carolina in Morgantown on Sept. 9, to round out

Yet annual match ups with Cincy, Houston, BYU or UCF are beneath them. Give me a break. It's OK to dilute the schedules in the Big 12, but you must maintain the power 5 members only integrity of the conference. Pure hypocrisy.

Yet annual match ups with Cincy, Houston, BYU or UCF are beneath them. Give me a break. It's OK to dilute the schedules in the Big 12, but you must maintain the power 5 members only integrity of the conference. Pure hypocrisy.

Oh... ....didn't know that they were joining the Big 12 in all sports and that they wouldn't have a negative impact on the next TV contract.

Mr. Orlaco, haven't you seen the basketball schedule? It makes the non-conference portion of the football schedule look like murderers row.

Virginia Tech, East Carolina, Tennessee, North Carolina State, Missouri again in
2019, Maryland in 2020 and 2021, Virginia Tech again in 2021, Pitt in 2022, Penn
State AND Pitt in 2023 and 2024 (just like the old days), Pitt in 2025.

Doesn't look like cupcake city to me.

You tiptoed around a huge bakery shop including Mount St. Mary’s, Mississippi Valley State, Western Carolina, UMKC, Radford, and of course always dangerous Northern Kentucky.

In conference yes it is beneath us. 2-1 nonconference series sure I'll take (ok, BYU 1-1).

Funny, that's what the Big 12 boards were saying about WVU and TCU before we became members. Many of them still believe it. I read comments from Oklahoma and Texas fans saying the conference blew it on expansion last time. We have not won a conference title, tied or even contended for one yet. But somehow the teams we used to play are beneath us? That's pretty arrogant isn't it?

When you play 9-10 P5 teams a year you should be able to play a team like Delaware State. Hell SEC schools would play all FCS schools OOC if they could because of "how hard any SEC schedule is"

Hey! Delaware State is favored to win Conference USA this year.

Delaware State football coach Ken Carter has rubbed elbows with some wise coaching talent.

He handled special teams and wide receivers for Youngstown State while Jim Tressel was Y’s president. Maybe he got to talk to Tressel about football.

He was with Charlie Strong for 5 years at Louisvlle, which included two Big East titles. Strong is the head coach at Texas.

He was with Urban Meyer at Florida during the 2009 national title season and 2008 SEC championship team. Meyer is at Ohio State.

He handled running backs at Vanderbilt and Pitt.

He handled receivers for Joe Paterno at Penn State. Joe is in the Great Beyond.

He also coached at The Citadel, his alma mater.

The guy has been around.

Delaware has a winning streak. It beat Howard in the 2015 season finale for its only victory, by one point. Delaware lost to Kent State, 45-13 in 2015. WVU has never lost a football game to a Mid-American Conference team.

Missouri will play Delaware Sept. 24 after visiting Mountaineer Field Sept. 3.

Funny, that's what the Big 12 boards were saying about WVU and TCU before we became members. Many of them still believe it. I read comments from Oklahoma and Texas fans saying the conference blew it on expansion last time. We have not won a conference title, tied or even contended for one yet. But somehow the teams we used to play are beneath us? That's pretty arrogant isn't it?
We got lucky. If the conference ever stands up together and invites Cincy or CSU or anyone else, we will accept it and move on. I think Texas and Oklahoma and maybe some other schools have a pride problem and don't want to invite schools nobody else wants. I think a lot of fans at other member schools have some buyers remorse for adding WVU and the fact that our presence alone is a contributing factor for the BIG12 even considering teams like Cincy, UCF, Memphis and UCONN. But fans bitch about everything and if you make one group happy you piss off another.

Reactions: michaelwalkerbr
Easy on Chattanooga

No offense intended. Along with the Citadel the Mocs are obviously the class of the conference. But should they really be playing teams like Alabama for a paycheck? I don't think it's fair to the players and coaches to be a sacrificial lamb just to help balance the athletic budget. JMHO

I admit that Delaware State could be a tough game. Don't forget that William & Mary put up quite a battle a couple of years ago. I know that Michigan fans remember Appalachian State so well. That's the way the world goes round. Sometimes your up, sometimes your down. Half an inch of water................think your gonna drown. Warez

Reactions: michaelwalkerbr
I admit that Delaware State could be a tough game. Don't forget that William & Mary put up quite a battle a couple of years ago. I know that Michigan fans remember Appalachian State so well. That's the way the world goes round. Sometimes your up, sometimes your down. Half an inch of water................think your gonna drown. Warez

That's the other side of the coin.Playing any FCS school hurts your SOS, but taking the chance of paying one half a million dollars to come into your stadium and kick your ass is asinine. Just waterboard me!

I thought we were done playing FCS schools? I know Dana has been pushing to keep them off future schedules. Not that I think it's beneath us to keep playing them, but one would think being consistent has to play a factor.

I thought we were done playing FCS schools? I know Dana has been pushing to keep them off future schedules. Not that I think it's beneath us to keep playing them, but one would think being consistent has to play a factor.

Most of our schedules are arranged years in advance. You have to do that or risk a vacancy and unable to fill it. I don't know how this one crept in there, but it did, so let's just deal with it. At least we're not Baylor who, seemingly, took every possible advantage on this issue and others.

Are you joking or confusing Delaware State with the University of Delaware?
He's joking. The Hornets of Delaware State went 1-11 last fall, winning only the closer with Howard as CFE mentioned. The Blue Hens of Delaware went 4-7 in the Colonial.

Just a postscript, but Missouri's OOC schedule this year consists of West Virginia, Delaware State, Middle Tennessee and Eastern Michigan.

He's joking. The Hornets of Delaware State went 1-11 last fall, winning only the closer with Howard as CFE mentioned. The Blue Hens of Delaware went 4-7 in the Colonial.

Just a postscript, but Missouri's OOC schedule this year consists of West Virginia, Delaware State, Middle Tennessee and Eastern Michigan.

Egads! Delaware State will be a meaningless comparative scores between WVU and Missouri, although the score at Mountaineer Field against the Show Me gang will be the one that counts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT