ADVERTISEMENT

Pens Offseason/ rest of NHL playoffs

My bet says they skimp out and we dont get #45. Regardless we take it all day and every day I even hold a million bucks to make it happen. He is DONE here over and out, his 3x past dictates it. Goodbye and thanks for the memories. You helped immensely and no longer do. All good.

Oh, you may be right; and I acknowledge my idea is nothing more than a shot-in-the-dark framework of a deal. We also have no idea how interested ARI really is to actually bring in Phat, just as we don't know how desperate GMJR really is to move him out.

Maybe the Yotes say NO to the #2, but maybe YES to a #3 & #4 which wouldn't excite me very much personally. But again, with no real leverage......and assuming GMJR feels as though he HAS move Phat......then he's stuck with trying to squeeze blood from the proverbial turnip.

Meanwhile, I read a comment this morning (attributed to Bob McKenzie) that Phat's NO to the Minny deal might be less a flat refusal than a simple suggestion the Pens try harder to find something maybe a little more desirable for Phat. Regardless, this one remains a HUGE chess game, and who knows how it turns out.

Meanwhile, I'm still not convinced that a deal with Nashville.......with Phat and PK as principles.....doesn't remain a possibility.

Reactions: torontoeers
If you missed it, here is the Craps organizational public response (at least part of it) to the Kuznetsov video.....

"While we are disappointed by his presence in the video, we accept his explanation and apology for putting himself in an unfortunate situation,"

Of course, you'd hear the same thing from the Pens, Blues, or Lightning if similar videos with Malkin, Tarasenko, or Kucherov in the starring role went public; but you goita admit, it's fun to sanctimoniously judge Leonsis and the Craps from the outside.looking in

TRkXyiY.png

I hate the way the cup is dragged out these days. It started on memorial day and if it goes 7 it will end on june 12. 17 days is too long they each had a week off going into it. Once it starts lets get on with it.

Ok @Euell @Irwineer2 and anyone else with an opinion, tell me bout this 6 ft 6 , 97mph fireballer? I think I really like this....:flyingwv:
AM is an excellent prospect, I think. I thought he might drop a bit after losing two big games lately (Matchup against TCU's ace a couple of weeks ago and Saturday v. Duke .) Big dude!

Hopefully he will make it but the baseball draft is probably the biggest crap shoot of them all. The Rockies drafted Harrison Musgave out of wvu in the 8th round in 2014. He made it to the Rockies in 2018. He works out of the bull pen mostly in the 6th 7th and sometimes 8th inning. I know in 2012 only 4% of MLB players had a college Degree and only 38% ever played in college. MLB is like the NHL the college route is not the preferred route to the pros. Hopefully AM will find his way there in a couple years.

I'm gonna give it a pure guess here in thinking its out West for starters, and say Portland Oregon? I gotta be close lol.
Man I had a few of those back in the day. 95% positive. One night I was at a club downtown TO and passed out stone cold, concussion in fact...ROUGH night and next few days...I'm a lightweight I guess!

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
Tim and Sids latest rumours

Love these two...are they still on network down there? I get em on my Sportsnet feed every night...
31 thoughts they mention via their bud Frieds? I gotta tell ya that guy is the nicest hockey media fella I have ever met bar none. Had a few pints with him last year and he will answer anything you ask honestly AND buy you a brew lol.
I think Laine stays in the Peg if only the fact that there is a VERY large Finnish community there, I think the largest in NA, next maybe Thunder Bay...but then what do I know, maybe he could care less bout that aspect.
Re the Karl...no way imo he goes back to Ottawa but the Habs do make sense, an hour or so away for his wifey from home...Duch too not too far from Haliburton maybe 3 1/2 hrs or so. Do they have enough coin to play around with? Well they've got some but will need to unload a few mil to get both. I DO think they get one...
Vancouver...lol...draft, and now the ability to throw money around all over the place. They will F it again imo based on fan pressure (my relatives and buddies out there are PISSED) and on the big stage same time? Careful Canucks, you may land yourselves into the stone age for eternity if ya go too balls out....
Nice lengthy rumour mill this one...things gonna heat right up once the Cup is over...

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
Love these two...are they still on network down there? I get em on my Sportsnet feed every night...
31 thoughts they mention via their bud Frieds? I gotta tell ya that guy is the nicest hockey media fella I have ever met bar none. Had a few pints with him last year and he will answer anything you ask honestly AND buy you a brew lol.
I think Laine stays in the Peg if only the fact that there is a VERY large Finnish community there, I think the largest in NA, next maybe Thunder Bay...but then what do I know, maybe he could care less bout that aspect.
Re the Karl...no way imo he goes back to Ottawa but the Habs do make sense, an hour or so away for his wifey from home...Duch too not too far from Haliburton maybe 3 1/2 hrs or so. Do they have enough coin to play around with? Well they've got some but will need to unload a few mil to get both. I DO think they get one...
Vancouver...lol...draft, and now the ability to throw money around all over the place. They will F it again imo based on fan pressure (my relatives and buddies out there are PISSED) and on the big stage same time? Careful Canucks, you may land yourselves into the stone age for eternity if ya go too balls out....
Nice lengthy rumour mill this one...things gonna heat right up once the Cup is over...
I see them on the NHL network sometimes but I can always find them on youtube. King Karl back to ottawa is a pipe dream. I can't see him in Montreal they need center help. If they brought him in then they would have to move another D man out to aquire help at the center postion. The Laine rumours in Winnipeg are probably coming from his agent. I think he's trying to drive up the price just letting people know he will walk if he dosen't get his way.

8/72 for Skinner from Buffalo......nice contract for him, and probably a good move (if not with some risk) for the Sabres.

Meanwhile, Blues can obviously close it out tonight; regrettably, I'm expecting a monster effort from the B's (who are about as good as anyone in the game when their backs are against the wall) and we have a Game 7. But, what's continued to amaze me is how the Blues......the hockey media's darling the last 2 months.......have taken a complete and total back seat to the mystifying adoration that same media has devoted to the Broons.

Can somebody explain to me exactly how they've become the 2019 reincarnation of the all-things-holy Black Hawks in the media ?? I realize they have not one, but TWO players (Chara and Bergeron) with the middle name Almighty; but is their strangle hold on the media's love THAT easy to explain ??

8/72 for Skinner from Buffalo......nice contract for him, and probably a good move (if not with some risk) for the Sabres.

Meanwhile, Blues can obviously close it out tonight; regrettably, I'm expecting a monster effort from the B's (who are about as good as anyone in the game when their backs are against the wall) and we have a Game 7. But, what's continued to amaze me is how the Blues......the hockey media's darling the last 2 months.......have taken a complete and total back seat to the mystifying adoration that same media has devoted to the Broons.

Can somebody explain to me exactly how they've become the 2019 reincarnation of the all-things-holy Black Hawks in the media ?? I realize they have not one, but TWO players (Chara and Bergeron) with the middle name Almighty; but is their strangle hold on the media's love THAT easy to explain ??
I think the Blues get there fair share of Love but there up against and original 6 team. The teams from the Original 6 have very deep fan bases.

Reactions: COOL MAN
Opening FO coming up shortly; just occurred to me the Blues have won 2 of 3 thus far in Boston, and the B's can return THAT favor tonight. No question it's "Let's Go Blues" from yours truly..... I'll be delighted to hear the B's moan about officiating all summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Euell
1-0 Broons after 2.....Blues are the better team tonight (if not dramatically so) but things are going EXACTLY the way the team with its back to the wall needs things to go. They get the key break on the 5 on 3, puck goes behind Rask and doesn't go in, etc....

1-0 Broons after 2.....Blues are the better team tonight (if not dramatically so) but things are going EXACTLY the way the team with its back to the wall needs things to go. They get the key break on the 5 on 3, puck goes behind Rask and doesn't go in, etc....
I think the blues were the better team for the majority of game 6. I think the Bruins were better in game 5. So it pretty much evened out and now we have game 7. Can't really complain i am up for that. I just hope we have and epic game. The biggest complaint I have about this years cup is I don't feel that both of these teams have played there best Hockey at the same time. If they do in game 7 they we should be in for a treat.

Am I the only one.......and I don't think I am.....who's beginning to think Game 7 on home ice is a disadvantage ?? Now to be certain, I don't think too many (including yours truly) would willingly forfeit the odd home game in a 7-gamer.

But I'm also among those who believe the home team's pressure to win on their own sheet.....and there's absoutely no doubt in my mind it exists.....might well more than offset the advantage of having their fans in the building. And that's especially true in this series, where most evidence thus far would appear to indicate home ice is largely meaningless.

Even if the B's were on the road tomorrow night, I assume most would consider them advantaged solely because of Rask.....while Binnington just can't seem to shake his wildcard status (which is understandable enough). Of course, we never saw much indication that the Enterprise Center did much for his confidence in this series anyway.

I think most will agree the only place the B's have a clear advantage over the Blues is in goal.....which still hasn't resulted in any kind of beachhead for them at TD Garden. Hard to bet against the Broons, but I honestly don't think a Blues win will be any kind of upset.

Highlights of Yohe's piece in today Athletic, essentially reviewing his discussion with GMJR
  • Phat now expected to play in Pittsburgh next season
  • Not currently focused on Murray's next contract
  • Said "TBD" regarding Shultzie's next contract
  • Sounds currently more likely to extend Sully before the end of his deal than the upcoming FA's, but doesn't sound like a priority right now
  • Hasn't talked to Geno since his post-season comments; they're communicating jointly through Gonchar, though he's not worried about him right now
  • Says the upcoming changes (which he's more or less promising) will be more along the lines of a "re-tool" than anything "massive"

Hey Guys, I will be in Beantown (off the cruise ship) on Saturday. What are the chances of witnessing a victory parade? I am not sure when that would happen if the Bruins win it tomorrow night. Still rooting for the Blues though. Gloria! Gloria!

Hey Guys, I will be in Beantown (off the cruise ship) on Saturday. What are the chances of witnessing a victory parade? I am not sure when that would happen if the Bruins win it tomorrow night. Still rooting for the Blues though. Gloria! Gloria!

You know, Euell, your comment has me thinking.....I admittedly know nothing about victory parades outside Pittsburgh; but off the top of my head, I can't recall victory parades anywhere taking place on a weekend.

I guess I assume it's because event organizers always want to take advantage of city workers walking out the door and making up a large percentage of the crowd, rather than relying solely on the willingness of large numbers of "outsiders" to deal with the traffic/parking issues. Maybe I'm wrong about that.....

Anyway, if I were to make a wild guess, a Boston victory parade this year would be on Friday 6/14.

You know, Euell, your comment has me thinking.....I admittedly know nothing about victory parades outside Pittsburgh; but off the top of my head, I can't recall victory parades anywhere taking place on a weekend.

I guess I assume it's because event organizers always want to take advantage of city workers walking out the door and making up a large percentage of the crowd, rather than relying solely on the willingness of large numbers of "outsiders" to deal with the traffic/parking issues. Maybe I'm wrong about that.....

Anyway, if I were to make a wild guess, a Boston victory parade this year would be on Friday 6/14.
I was thinking along the same lines. It seemed like the one I could remember in Pittsburgh were on weekdays. Anyway, it would be pretty cool to see one. Having said that: Gloria! Gloria! Good game so far, but BB going on the power play.

Gonna be a long last 20 minutes......say what you will about the B's, but they never quit. In this kind of game, I'm expecting some kind of accident that goes against the Blues......and probably in the first 3-5 minutes of the period.

I noticed this yesterday.......as odds for next season's SC winner were being tossed around on NHLN (and elsewhere).......but here are early odds for next season:

2019-20 Stanley Cup Odds
Tampa Bay Lightning 6-1
Vegas Golden Knights 7-1
Boston Bruins 10-1
Toronto Maple Leafs 10-1
Colorado Avalanche 10-1
St. Louis Blues 14-1
San Jose Sharks 16-1
Winnipeg Jets 16-1
Washington Capitals 20-1
Pittsburgh Penguins 20-1
Calgary Flames 20-1
Nashville Predators 25-1
Florida Panthers 25-1
Philadelphia Flyers 25-1
Dallas Stars 30-1
New York Islanders 30-1
Carolina Hurricanes 30-1
Arizona Coyotes 30-1
Columbus Blue Jackets 30-1
Minnesota Wild 40-1
Chicago Blackhawks 40-1
Vancouver Canucks 40-1
Montreal Canadiens 50-1
Edmonton Oilers 50-1
Buffalo Sabres 60-1
New York Rangers 80-1
New Jersey Devils 80-1
Detroit Red Wings 80-1
Anaheim Ducks 80-1
Los Angeles Kings 80-1
Ottawa Senators 300-1
Certainly looks to me like Vegas is expecting a lot of action from, well, Vegas (and Flyers) fans......and I personally doubt I'd cover Colorado at a skinny 10-1. But the Pens (at tied for 6th) look to me positioned about where they belong. They obviously don't belong right at/near the top of the list, but clearly can't be counted out altogether.

I was surprised how far the Craps and (especially) Preds have fallen from this time last season, when both were right at the top of the list. Granted, this is only about betting, and isn't intended any kind of even pseudo-knowledgeable review on how good any specific team will actually be on the ice. Which tells me these are two good teams on which Vegas simply doesn't expect much action, and is therefore trying to draw money their direction

Also, 25-1 makes it appear to me that Vegas thinks the Panthers are favored to sign both Breadman and Bob. Finally.....at 30-1......I'm curious if you'd be more inclined to throw down on Dallas, NYI, Jerks, Arizona, or Columbus ??

Interesting deal......Cryers move Radko Gudas to the Craps for Matt Niskanen (2 remaining years at $5.75 million) and a 30% retention of Gudas' $3.375 million salary. The target has been on Niskanen's back for cap relief purposes, and I assume the Craps are proceeding under the assumption Niskanen is heading downhill.

But to me, this still looks like a good deal for Philly (though not everyone agrees) if only because they're better off without all Gudas' idiot penalties, and got a legitimate (if declining) D-man in the process.

Pierre LeBrun reporting today in The Athletic that the Craps like Carl Hagelin, and are evidently talking to him about new deal.

No theories on how long or large; but if that's the case, it begs the question if Hags will indeed hold out until free agency after all. Assuming the Craps want to sign him on the cheap......say, cut his expiring $4 million salary by something on the order of 33-50%......I wonder if he could still get, say, $3 million/season for a year or two from someone ??

Wouldn't surprise me if he could draw an offer like that from, say, Montreal or Buffalo.

With Maatta's cap room now cleared, Pittsburgh Hockey Now is theorizing the Pens might jump into the Wayne Simmonds derby. JMO, not sure that'd be a good move here in June 2019......but if they could tap into what's remaining (if anything) of his 2016 (or 2017) version, maybe it would make some sense.

It would also help if they weren't already dealing with the nagging questions regarding another 30-something forward already on the roster, Pat Hornqvist.

ADVERTISEMENT