ADVERTISEMENT

Pens Offseason/ rest of NHL playoffs

Anybody listen to the Pens - Wings game this week? Geno took a lazy hooking minor and Phil Bourque really voiced his displeasure. He said that was the kind of stuff that haunted him last year and he hoped it didn't creep back into his game.

Reactions: torontoeers
In the interest of simply getting rid of it, how much of JJs contract would you personally be in favor of withholding ?? For me, it's maybe $1 million/season.

In the interest of simply getting rid of it, how much of JJs contract would you personally be in favor of withholding ?? For me, it's maybe $1 million/season.
No more than that...otherwise I see ZERO incentive in making a deal. My bet says he's had plenty of offers likely all of them involving 'here take my problem and choke down this money'...No thanks.

Out of curiosity Mr. 'Sleepless in Seattle' or any of the rest of you louts, what is your opinion on ole JJ? I think I mighta discussed this with you before. Don't remember you as one of those wanting to burn him at the stake....from my own perspective he is a serviceable number 5-6. Which obviously in the ideal world you pay less than his number for...imo the (facebook) base seems to get all whacked out based on his contract number rather than actual on ice performance. He has been ok back there , I don't often (although it has happened once or twice) see him make the massive gaffe's that so many harp on about. This is all about contract and his relationship with coach imo. Contracts are manageable and coaches have a certain lifespan although I am not suggesting Sully is done quite yet...the pitchforks on JJ are pretty bizarre is basically what I'm saying...

Reactions: Irwineer2
Out of curiosity Mr. 'Sleepless in Seattle' or any of the rest of you louts, what is your opinion on ole JJ? I think I mighta discussed this with you before. Don't remember you as one of those wanting to burn him at the stake....from my own perspective he is a serviceable number 5-6. Which obviously in the ideal world you pay less than his number for...imo the (facebook) base seems to get all whacked out based on his contract number rather than actual on ice performance. He has been ok back there , I don't often (although it has happened once or twice) see him make the massive gaffe's that so many harp on about. This is all about contract and his relationship with coach imo. Contracts are manageable and coaches have a certain lifespan although I am not suggesting Sully is done quite yet...the pitchforks on JJ are pretty bizarre is basically what I'm saying...

the advanced stat nerds hate jj and love dominick simon. if it was up to them, mr I haven't scored in ages would be playing top 6 minutes.

Doesn't have anything to do with the Pens.....but, 47 years ago today, Paul Henderson single-handedly saved Canada from self-immolation at 19:26 of the 3rd period versus the Soviets in Game 8 of the Summit Series. Never also forget how important Bobby Clarke was in Canada's comeback after arriving in Moscow, when he (in Flyer-like fashion) shattered Soviet superstar Valeri Kharlamov's ankle with an axe-handle in Game 6.

Meanwhile, I always wondered to what extent the series would have been different had Bobby Orr (who I believe was injured) and Bobby Hull (who was barred from the squad after having signed a WHA contract) had been on Team Canada. Seems to me that, in particular, Orr.....as arguably the best skater in the NHL at the time......would have made a major difference against the uber-skating Soviets.

I so vividly remember watching the dark, jittery satellite-broadcasts back to North America. Canada might just as well have been playing on friggin' Neptune as in Moscow, as radically different as the USSR was from North America in those days.

Doesn't have anything to do with the Pens.....but, 47 years ago today, Paul Henderson single-handedly saved Canada from self-immolation at 19:26 of the 3rd period versus the Soviets in Game 8 of the Summit Series. Never also forget how important Bobby Clarke was in Canada's comeback after arriving in Moscow, when he (in Flyer-like fashion) shattered Soviet superstar Valeri Kharlamov's ankle with an axe-handle in Game 6.

Meanwhile, I always wondered to what extent the series would have been different had Bobby Orr (who I believe was injured) and Bobby Hull (who was barred from the squad after having signed a WHA contract) had been on Team Canada. Seems to me that, in particular, Orr.....as arguably the best skater in the NHL at the time......would have made a major difference against the uber-skating Soviets.

I so vividly remember watching the dark, jittery satellite-broadcasts back to North America. Canada might just as well have been playing on friggin' Neptune as in Moscow, as radically different as the USSR was from North America in those days.

thanks for sharing. that was before my time, but I have enjoyed learning the history involved here.

Yep it's being chatted about today here...was a year before my birth. However I do love so much of the lore that still surrounds it. Especially love this interview...

Reactions: Irwineer2
thanks for sharing. that was before my time, but I have enjoyed learning the history involved here.

99 to 66 in Canada Cup 87 was my generations moment. Remember it vividly. People here were almost dumbfounded at the sheer size and skillset of the big man when playing the world's best. IMO that's when the talk of who was better truly started. We still debate it over beers here all the time and likely will again tonight. Most of us agree it's a tough job to actually define who was better, although we dissect both of them under a microscope half the time lol.

So whadya think Colo? Imo it's pretty much a win for both at 13.5 over 2. I think he still remains an RFA after 2 more years? Both parties roll the dice a bit on it...although I think he continues to improve even though imo the Jets are a weaker team this year roster wise than last. This Big Buf thing has certainly thrown a serious wrench at em...I'm not sure they don't re-sign Trouba had they known about this retirement possibility. Although maybe they should have known? I imagine they have full disclosure on any medical status with their player...I gotta say I kinda feel for the guy, he's fun to watch over the years and seems pretty down to earth. He seems to like the Peg and it's close to home for him, if it's not a hockey stick then it's a fishing rod in his hands, and no better place than Manitoba/Minnesota...

PHN reporting the early, next-day assessment of Sid's foot injury (after taking the puck in yesterday's loss) on Sunday is "encouraging"......Rusty's condition (after being hit in the hand by a shot) seems more questionable. I have a suspicion everyone is glad the season doesn't start until Thursday.

Meanwhile, Murray was said to have taken shot off the adam's apple in this morning's practice and was having some breathing difficulties. However, he was also said to have finished practice.

99 to 66 in Canada Cup 87 was my generations moment. Remember it vividly. People here were almost dumbfounded at the sheer size and skillset of the big man when playing the world's best. IMO that's when the talk of who was better truly started. We still debate it over beers here all the time and likely will again tonight. Most of us agree it's a tough job to actually define who was better, although we dissect both of them under a microscope half the time lol.

I am not Canadian and that is one of my favorite plays along with Recchi in game 6 of the Wales Conference Final in 91, Mario in game 1 of the 92 finals and the Staal goal in game 4 of the 09 finals

PHN reporting the early, next-day assessment of Sid's foot injury (after taking the puck in yesterday's loss) on Sunday is "encouraging"......Rusty's condition (after being hit in the hand by a shot) seems more questionable. I have a suspicion everyone is glad the season doesn't start until Thursday.

Meanwhile, Murray was said to have taken shot off the adam's apple in this morning's practice and was having some breathing difficulties. However, he was also said to have finished practice.

Bourque wasn't happy with the intensity level of the pre-season and really said Rust was a shining star in the effort category. Hate to lose him

Bourque wasn't happy with the intensity level of the pre-season and really said Rust was a shining star in the effort category. Hate to lose him

Speaking of pre-season effort, I believe Malkin had been getting fairly good reviews......well, until yesterday. Was said to have committed one of his trademark own-end turnovers requiring Murray to stand on his own head to keep the score tied in the 3rd period.. Then in OT, was said to have made a Geno-style unnecessary/cement-head hip check, resulting a penalty.

As much as I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, Malkin continues to strike me as one of those cats who just might not be able to change his stripes....and we're therefore destined to see a decent amount of the 2018/19 "quality" Geno this season. Just don't know who that can be blamed on now with Phat having moved on.

Speaking of pre-season effort, I believe Malkin had been getting fairly good reviews......well, until yesterday. Was said to have committed one of his trademark own-end turnovers requiring Murray to stand on his own head to keep the score tied in the 3rd period.. Then in OT, was said to have made a Geno-style unnecessary/cement-head hip check, resulting a penalty.

As much as I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, Malkin continues to strike me as one of those cats who just might not be able to change his stripes....and we're therefore destined to see a decent amount of the 2018/19 "quality" Geno this season. Just don't know who that can be blamed on now with Phat having moved on.
I don't believe a word he says about changing his attitude...I'm a show me kinda guy. He will likely be my whipping boy again this season...I swear a lot at him over the years.

Hmmmm... I need to see these two in the lineup on Thurs night! Arrrgh....

So whadya think Colo? Imo it's pretty much a win for both at 13.5 over 2. I think he still remains an RFA after 2 more years? Both parties roll the dice a bit on it...although I think he continues to improve even though imo the Jets are a weaker team this year roster wise than last. This Big Buf thing has certainly thrown a serious wrench at em...I'm not sure they don't re-sign Trouba had they known about this retirement possibility. Although maybe they should have known? I imagine they have full disclosure on any medical status with their player...I gotta say I kinda feel for the guy, he's fun to watch over the years and seems pretty down to earth. He seems to like the Peg and it's close to home for him, if it's not a hockey stick then it's a fishing rod in his hands, and no better place than Manitoba/Minnesota...
Its probably the best that they could have done. I Think Cheveldayoff and the Jets ownership are probably coming to the realization that players don't want to be in the Peg. I think the Jets are just buying time on Laine. I think they will eventually end up moving him for the best haul they can get. Cheveldayoff has gone big the last 2 trade deadlines trying to get the cup because he knows nobody wants to play there. Even though we have the salary cap its pretty obvious there are places players want to be and those that players leave the 1st opportunity that comes along. I think Winninpeg is apart of the run when you can crowd.

I think if Buff doesn't come back its more of a temporary setback. He is at the end of his career. Laine is a guy who will be around for awhile but I predict he will be somewhere else a couple years from now.

From new Post Gazette Pens' beat writer Mike Defabo......replacing Jason Mackey (who moved earlier in the year to the Pirates beat)......6 of the top 11 most-hit players in the League last season were with the Pens. Marcus Pettersson was #1, having taken 221 hits

In addition to Pettersson, defenseman Brian Dumoulin was the third-most hit player in the league, absorbing 179 hits last year. He was followed by former Penguins defenseman Olli Maatta (175 hits, fourth-most), winger Jake Guentzel (170, seventh), defenseman Jack Johnson (167, 10th) and winger Patric Hornqvist (165, 11th).

While Maatta was traded to Chicago this offseason, the Penguins acquired tenacious forward Brandon Tanev, the fifth-most hit player in the NHL with 173. So even with the personnel changes, Pittsburgh is likely to be up near the top of the league unless something changes.

I've been on record as not being anywhere near as negative on JJ as most......and yes, I think we're jointly in the great minority on that. I guess his analytics are downright awful; and given his contract situation, it's clear he's in no danger of getting the benefit of the doubt from too many. But I don't know enough about the fine details of the game to deny the criticism.

What I don't get however, is GMJR's bordeline insatiable need the past few months to go public (in at least some manner of speaking) with his trade intentions. First it was Geno and Letang (or Letang and Geno), and now JJ. Anyway, if he needs to move on from a mistaken contract.....even one of his own doing.....I'm OK with that. Presumably, he thought JJ had more left in the tank than he could evidenty prove; and on balance, better to flush the piss rather than try and use it to replace the lemons for the lemonade.

I have a suspicion JR learned a pretty big (and painful) lesson after hamstringing Canolina with that wacky Alex Semin deal (which still has two years and $4.6 million of the buyout left to run). But I do think your use of the word bizarre in describing the level of disdain toward JJ actually is pretty accurate.

Yep it's being chatted about today here...was a year before my birth. However I do love so much of the lore that still surrounds it. Especially love this interview...

No question in my mind (and I assume many north of the border felt this way) that Espo's interview largely turned around the series.......he put the Canadian players on an island against their own country, and they played in Moscow like they were the underdogs and had nothing to lose. Of course, they gooned it up.....but just as importantly, their goaltending got better.

Lots of people who don't follow hockey closely don't realize that the Soviets largely dominated joint national play between the two leagues after that. I distinctly remember....when I was living in Lansing MI in 1979 (after having graduated from WVU in 1978).....watching the deciding game of the 79 Challenge Cup on CBC cable (Danny Gallivan and Dick Irvin's call, and Dave Hodge in the studio) from Madison Square Garden.

Soviets benched Vladislav Tretiak in favor of the unknown Vladimir Myshkyn, and the NHL benched Kenny Dryden in favor of Gerry Cheevers......moves thought to give the NHL a huge advantge. Well, the Soviets just left Canada in their jet wash, winning 6-0. And I believe that Soviet domination remained in place until the 87 Canada Cup.....which sort-of set the stage for the Soviets pros to being defecting to North America a couple years later.

Alright guys...this one ticks me right the F off...I'm a Murr guy as ya'll know BUT....Casey was solid when needed most of the time. Are we really that desperate? I am shocked he hasn't been snapped up yet. We are going with Tristan? For why? Certainly not for exceptional results... GMJR you couldn't at least get fair value for arguably a top 10 backup in the league? What's gonna drive me the most apoplectic is the Murray hate I'm gonna see as the result....gonna need to shut that $HIT off...permanent.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/penguins-give-jarry-backup-goalie-job-put-desmith-waivers/

PHN theorizes the DeSmith move could be more about facilitating an actual trade for Jarry; though I still don't think (and what I think obviously doesn't matter) Jarry has anywhere near the trade value the team believes he's got. I also find it hard to believe it's worth all this gyrating to maybe (at best) get a 5th round Draft choice for Jarry.

Assuming he clears waivers today at noon, I guess I'm assuming DeSmith will be recalled......but I don't know that for a fact.

PHN theorizes the DeSmith move could be more about facilitating an actual trade for Jarry; though I still don't think (and what I think obviously doesn't matter) Jarry has anywhere near the trade value the team believes he's got. I also find it hard to believe it's worth all this gyrating to maybe (at best) get a 5th round Draft choice for Jarry.

Assuming he clears waivers today at noon, I guess I'm assuming DeSmith will be recalled......but I don't know that for a fact.
I'm surprised he cleared truthfully. He's much better imo than over half the backups out there. Maybe it's the term? Although 1.25 over 3 doesn't seem out of line for a guy of his abilities and now experience. Bullet dodged for now I guess, which is the important thing.

I'm surprised he cleared truthfully. He's much better imo than over half the backups out there. Maybe it's the term? Although 1.25 over 3 doesn't seem out of line for a guy of his abilities and now experience. Bullet dodged for now I guess, which is the important thing.
Im looking foward to see how the metro and central shakeout this season. I think both divisions have a potential to be turned upside down. The Atlantic and Pacific look more status quo. My dark horse team Is Florida they could upset the apple cart in the Atlantic. Maybe arizona in the pacific but can't see much else happening in those 2 divisions. Don't be surprised if all hell breaks lose in the metro and central.

Im looking foward to see how the metro and central shakeout this season. I think both divisions have a potential to be turned upside down. The Atlantic and Pacific look more status quo. My dark horse team Is Florida they could upset the apple cart in the Atlantic. Maybe arizona in the pacific but can't see much else happening in those 2 divisions. Don't be surprised if all hell breaks lose in the metro and central.
Metro and Central agreed...My pick for dead last Metro is the Cryers followed closely by The Blojax....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT