ADVERTISEMENT

Pens Offseason/ rest of NHL playoffs

I didn't realize it, but the Guins play their first exhibition game tomorrow night against the Sabres at Penn State

Since the Steelers obviously aren't giving me any reason to follow them, might as well divert that focus toward hockey.....I read that Tanev has been skating with Geno and Galchenyuk on the 2nd line in camp. Guess the coaches want a blue collar guy doing their dirty work, which actually doesn't sound like a half bad idea (on paper, at least).

FWIW, Geno has already said publicly Tanev is the fastest skater in the League.

Pensburgh is reporting that coaches these days focus more on pairs of compatible players rather than full lines.....I don't know if that's true or not.....but they claim the focus pairs currently in camp are Sid/Jake, Geno/Galchenyuk, and Bjugstad/Hornqvist.

There've been a zillion words spoken/written in the off season about the importance of Geno getting back to "normal"......but I'm not altogether sure that Hornqvist rediscovering HORNDOG isn't almost equally as important.

Last edited:
Just read on DK that tonight game with Buffalo will be streamed at https://www.nhl.com/penguins.....but only if you're in the Pittsburgh area (due to League restrictions on streaming).

As you might expect, it's a pretty thin roster......ZAR, Teddy, Rusty, Simon, Johnson, Riikola, Ruhwedel, and DeSmith/Jarry (and everyone else kids/minor leaguers).

I'll bet the Sabres dress a better lineup in Pegula's namesake barn in State College; in fact, I'm pretty sure they played this exact same game at Penn State last year, and the Sabres (as I recall) dressed more of their pros/first team.

Reactions: torontoeers
PHN reporting today that Jack Johnson is changing to #3 this season.....apparently his chosen number back in HS and early in his career. But #3 was taken upon his arrival in both Columbus (so he chose #7) and Pittsburgh (so he chose #73, which he claimed "looked better" than #37). Supposedly, the Pens asked him to wear #77 last year, which he quickly (and smartly, IMO) declined.

Meanwhile, JJ is said to have spent 2 months in Florida this off-season training with former Mountaineer strength/conditioning coach Mike Barwis.

PHN reporting today that Jack Johnson is changing to #3 this season.....apparently his chosen number back in HS and early in his career. But #3 was taken upon his arrival in both Columbus (so he chose #7) and Pittsburgh (so he chose #73, which he claimed "looked better" than #37). Supposedly, the Pens asked him to wear #77 last year, which he quickly (and smartly, IMO) declined.

Meanwhile, JJ is said to have spent 2 months in Florida this off-season training with former Mountaineer strength/conditioning coach Mike Barwis.
Damn right smartly...why in the hell would they wanna put that microscope and (more than likely) ire on the guy? Damn dumb suggestion.
As opposed to some I don't think he was as horrific as some like to purport. He sure as heck wasn't an all star for that matter however. There is room for improvement in his game. Hopefully the strength and conditioning regimen helps...

The Pens "team" that showed up last night got pretty much bitch-slapped......SOG 47-18 Buffalo......but found a way to make up a 1-4 deficit in the first 10 minutes of the 3rd period before losing in OT.

As I suspected, the Sabres played a far better roster than the Pens, including Eichel (who had the game-winner), Skinner, Dahlin, Girgensons, and Sheary (who ended up with 3 points). Evidently, DeSmith was terrific in net in the first half of the game after seeing 25 shots.

Thinking of attending the home opener vs Buffalo before the Horns game Sat boys...hotel prices are pretty good, and the tix not too shabby either. Just warning you in advance that we might LOSE this one in fine fashion. I am sorry in advance....might be a good idea to call all the hotels in town and say 'no bueno torontoeers' ...good luck with that! :wink:

Reactions: COOL MAN
Heard the following on NHLN Radio yesterday......though I'm not sure I believe it:

Supposedly, in advance of the Sens/Leafs exhibition game yesterday in St John NFLD (where I believe the Leafs are having their training camp), tickets in the aftermarket were going for prices as high as $600 (CDN, I presume).

Heard the following on NHLN Radio yesterday......though I'm not sure I believe it:

Supposedly, in advance of the Sens/Leafs exhibition game yesterday in St John NFLD (where I believe the Leafs are having their training camp), tickets in the aftermarket were going for prices as high as $600 (CDN, I presume).
I believe it... Leaves fans are more often than not a bunch of dullards. How your average Newfoundlander can afford that is another question?
Being that their inaugural season ECHL champs the Growlers are stationed there I guess it makes sense to have the camp out there...although no matter who the parent club is I'd argue more maritimers are Habs fans than anything else...

Reactions: COOL MAN
Poulin and Legare have evidently survived the first round of cuts, though I don't think anyone (currently, that is) expects them to make any kind of serious run for a roster spot. FWIW, I think both have made an impact......Legare in particular.

Reading between the lines, I get the impression the Marino kid may be the most eye-opening thus far among the youngsters, though I don't think he's considered much of a threat to crack the roster given the number of veteran defensemen in camp (and I include Pettersson in that number).

Regarding today's (SAT) game at Columbus, the Pens roster will look more like the one versus Buffalo at Penn State than that when Columbus came to Pittsburgh on Thursday. Only roster-level vets in today's lineup are McCann, Bjugstad, ZAR, Teddy, Gudbranson, and DeSmith.

Blojax dressing a far better roster today at home: Atkinson, Dubois, Murray, Jenner, Texier, Savard, Nutivaara, Foligno, Anderson, and Korpisalo.

I believe it... Leaves fans are more often than not a bunch of dullards. How your average Newfoundlander can afford that is another question?
Being that their inaugural season ECHL champs the Growlers are stationed there I guess it makes sense to have the camp out there...although no matter who the parent club is I'd argue more maritimers are Habs fans than anything else...
Toronto whats your take on Laine?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-nhl-teams-contacting-patrik-laines-camp-024732026.html

Dude...I think the Jets are in serious trouble here... let's face it, the town is hockey mad but it's a freakin outpost to be kind. With the $$$ the Leaves gave Marner (imo at least 2 mil overpay and a year or 2 term too much) , they are in deep... they'll have to get close to those numbers, and with the Big Buf issues too? Yikes. Cheveldayoff is screwed imo....also the city does have quite a large Finnish heritage population , but thinking Laine could give 2 $hits about that..

Dude...I think the Jets are in serious trouble here... let's face it, the town is hockey mad but it's a freakin outpost to be kind. With the $$$ the Leaves gave Marner (imo at least 2 mil overpay and a year or 2 term too much) , they are in deep... they'll have to get close to those numbers, and with the Big Buf issues too? Yikes. Cheveldayoff is screwed imo....also the city does have quite a large Finnish heritage population , but thinking Laine could give 2 $hits about that..
Its pretty clear that players don't want to be in the peg. The last 2 trade deadlines that went big with stasney in 2018 and Hayes last feb and both bailed. It seems players can't wait to get the 1st ticket out of that wheat field.

And they were just about to name a Captain...Awesome lol! After the Marner episode it's back to DEFCON 1 around here... :smiley:

Guess I'm assuming the team will do everything possible (obviously, easier said than done in GTA) to let this pass as quietly as possible, after which they'll publically forget the entire incident occurred. Still.....accurate or otherwise......this obviously is not a good look for a kid ready to be handed to keys to the franchise for the next decade+.

Curious as to what he's saying to the Leaves press, or does the team (and OHG) have him in solitary confinement for the time being.......meanwhile, an early good morning to all from Seattle; here for the first time ever this week.

Two more things; Yohe reporting the Pens are still shopping Tricky Nicky and Rusty.....though presumably not all that aggressively (as they're said to be looking for a "certain return"). Also, I'm reading that Riikola may indeed be in the top 6, and JJ may begin the season as a healthy scratch.

Two more things; Yohe reporting the Pens are still shopping Tricky Nicky and Rusty.....though presumably not all that aggressively (as they're said to be looking for a "certain return"). Also, I'm reading that Riikola may indeed be in the top 6, and JJ may begin the season as a healthy scratch.
https://www.nhl.com/news/penguins-willing-to-make-deals-to-become-more-cap-compliant/c-309463794
Thoughts on this? They will get fat nothing for Jarry and may as well put him on waivers rather than waste time trying to deal him. DeSmith is a more risky proposition...they won't get what he's worth, and with MM's injury history, I'd feel better having him around for a potential 30 games rather than deal him and roll the dice on Jarry. None of the other prospects look that ready yet truthfully...another year imo...
Rusty gets the best return of what really is not a stellar lot of trade chips imo....
How is Seattle? Always wanted to visit. Done Vancouver and SF before but never the Washington or Oregon area for that matter...

https://www.nhl.com/news/penguins-willing-to-make-deals-to-become-more-cap-compliant/c-309463794
Thoughts on this? They will get fat nothing for Jarry and may as well put him on waivers rather than waste time trying to deal him. DeSmith is a more risky proposition...they won't get what he's worth, and with MM's injury history, I'd feel better having him around for a potential 30 games rather than deal him and roll the dice on Jarry. None of the other prospects look that ready yet truthfully...another year imo...
Rusty gets the best return of what really is not a stellar lot of trade chips imo....
How is Seattle? Always wanted to visit. Done Vancouver and SF before but never the Washington or Oregon area for that matter...

I heard jarry will get traded to the leafs.

Speaking of hell I'll be at PPG next Thursday for the opener. I suggest you and the rest of the gang here skip this one...It'll likely get real ugly. Sorry in advance.

way to ruin opening night for me. thanks.

stay in canada where you belong. lol

way to ruin opening night for me. thanks.

stay in canada where you belong. lol
I'll be lower corner by Murr in 1st and 3rd. For you I think I'll wear the red and white #87, so you cant miss me with the laser pointer trying to burn my eyeballs out. Maybe even slap some blackface on so everyone recognizes the Canuck lol. :wink:

JJ will be a valuable player to have at some point this season. all the trades I have heard involve bjugstad and rust.
Trade Rusty if they must...I like Bjugs size and moderate skillset....and yes JJ hasn't been great but not horrible as the Facebook fans claim. Keep him in the fold , however I sense he is in Sully's purgatory doghouse for some reason permanently.

Reactions: Irwineer2
So what is the latest with JJ? Why can't the Pens move him? Somebody must need a serviceable defender
You said it...he is serviceable. I dont get the fascination with moving him right now...3.5 mil is not an albatross. If we had a young buck to step in there I could see it. We don't. Who's next man up in that scenario from the farm Trotman? Yikes! I'll take JJ All day long....

Reactions: Irwineer2
You said it...he is serviceable. I dont get the fascination with moving him right now...3.5 mil is not an albatross. If we had a young buck to step in there I could see it. We don't. Who's next man up in that scenario from the farm Trotman? Yikes! I'll take JJ All day long....

I like what I have heard about john marino so far... too bad he got banged up here towards the end of camp.

Trade Rusty if they must...I like Bjugs size and moderate skillset....and yes JJ hasn't been great but not horrible as the Facebook fans claim. Keep him in the fold , however I sense he is in Sully's purgatory doghouse for some reason permanently.

have to keep bjugstad imo. only righty face off guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT