ADVERTISEMENT

Pens March

Get this one I heard after Jersey...' There ya go a simple breakaway, and right through the 5 hole, what a loser!' .....I just about fell off my chair when I read it. Yes! The always predictible 'simple breakaway' featuring Taylor Hall bearing down on ya...this is a must stop from pee wee on up! SMH....no more Pens facebook for this guy after that gem.

yinzers just started watching hockey. yes maf is better one on one than mm.

Reactions: torontoeers
Well...some of you are gonna be pissed with me and know well @COOLMAN :wink:but...the Pens will lose game 2 (so long as home ice otherwise might be game 4) in the first round and I apologize profusely. Had to jump on 2 tix that came down in price, the seats we have usually sat in playoff last few years (5 rows up to the right of Murray...well ideally Murray, for 1st and 3rd) great seats at a good price. Gimmie the f'n Cryers for this one please...or better yet go on a tear and get the 1 seed...
Lets Go Pens! Yee haw!!! :cool2:

As long as MM is sharp come playoffs, we will all be happy. No doubt MAF cost the Pens at least one cup. I'm not sure how often you guys listen to NHL radio on Sirius but a few weeks ago they were talking about Holtby and Bobrovsky can't beat the Pens in the playoffs basically because the Pens are in their heads and the pressure to not let in a bad goal leads to a few more.

As long as MM is sharp come playoffs, we will all be happy. No doubt MAF cost the Pens at least one cup. I'm not sure how often you guys listen to NHL radio on Sirius but a few weeks ago they were talking about Holtby and Bobrovsky can't beat the Pens in the playoffs basically because the Pens are in their heads and the pressure to not let in a bad goal leads to a few more.
I tend to agree with em for the most part OM1...especially Holtby, quality team in front of him and seems to give up back breaking goals when the pressure is on. I remember last Olympics when Holtby was the backup for Canada and a few buddies debated whether or not he could unseat Price...I said KEEP THAT GUY THE HELL AWAY FROM OUR PIPES. He's done NOTHING...EVER when it matters Other than a WC as a backup. In saying that I do like the guy on the whole (he seems pretty down to earth), other than the fact he wears a Craps uni...Bobs...well he's another with all the accolades and nothing other than one WC in May to show...well that and a contract of 8.5 mil per I guess...

more on Penguin keepers. Barasso agianst the islanders in 93 cost the Pens a 3rd straight cup. He gave up 20 goals in the last 4 games. Yeah times were different then but he was a disaster over the those 4 games. On the other hand, Mike Dion in 82 nearly singlehandedly ended the Isles cup streak. Of course the Pens first cup was a direct result of SAVE by Frankie Pietrangelo. The 81 series against the Blues saw some great goaltending but I can't recall who it was. I want to say Greg Millen but I don't think it was......

I tend to agree with em for the most part OM1...especially Holtby, quality team in front of him and seems to give up back breaking goals when the pressure is on. I remember last Olympics when Holtby was the backup for Canada and a few buddies debated whether or not he could unseat Price...I said KEEP THAT GUY THE HELL AWAY FROM OUR PIPES. He's done NOTHING...EVER when it matters Other than a WC as a backup. In saying that I do like the guy on the whole (he seems pretty down to earth), other than the fact he wears a Craps uni...Bobs...well he's another with all the accolades and nothing other than one WC in May to show...well that and a contract of 8.5 mil per I guess...

Will be interesting to see how MAF performs this spring.

more on Penguin keepers. Barasso agianst the islanders in 93 cost the Pens a 3rd straight cup. He gave up 20 goals in the last 4 games. Yeah times were different then but he was a disaster over the those 4 games. On the other hand, Mike Dion in 82 nearly singlehandedly ended the Isles cup streak. Of course the Pens first cup was a direct result of SAVE by Frankie Pietrangelo. The 81 series against the Blues saw some great goaltending but I can't recall who it was. I want to say Greg Millen but I don't think it was......
I think you're right with Millen...man o man a lotta shots on back then no doubt. Especially with a freewheeling Carlyle on the backend lol....
And yep...THAT SAVE by Frank P...legendary.

Ok, Can the Pens win with this defense? The Big Rig has been a pleasant surprise. Schultz and Dumo are solid. Matta has grown. Letang definitely isn't the 2016 Letang. Ruwedel....who knows how he responds. Huntwick as the spare tire hasn't seen the ice in 4 weeks. Speaks to the level of confidence HCMS has in him right now. I am not sure there is a secret weapon in WBS. So can this corps win a title?

Reactions: Irwineer2
Ok, Can the Pens win with this defense? The Big Rig has been a pleasant surprise. Schultz and Dumo are solid. Matta has grown. Letang definitely isn't the 2016 Letang. Ruwedel....who knows how he responds. Huntwick as the spare tire hasn't seen the ice in 4 weeks. Speaks to the level of confidence HCMS has in him right now. I am not sure there is a secret weapon in WBS. So can this corps win a title?

if the offensive players do their job, absolutely. If they play selfish, stupid hockey it could get ugly.

edit: I'll take last year's d over this years any day of the week.

if the offensive players do their job, absolutely. If they play selfish, stupid hockey it could get ugly.

You know the two things that drives me nuts the cross-ice passes in the neutral zone and the long diagonal pass on the PP. Geno is notorious for the center ice turnover. I literally scream when Geno or Sid turn it over on the PP trying to make the diagonal highlight pass. When it does actually work, it bothers me even more because it just reinforces the high risk and low reward pass!!

You know the two things that drives me nuts the cross-ice passes in the neutral zone and the long diagonal pass on the PP. Geno is notorious for the center ice turnover. I literally scream when Geno or Sid turn it over on the PP trying to make the diagonal highlight pass. When it does actually work, it bothers me even more because it just reinforces the high risk and low reward pass!!

agree completely. I get so frustrated with these guys, if they'd just make the smart play each time, they wouldn't need to even try that.

agree completely. I get so frustrated with these guys, if they'd just make the smart play each time, they wouldn't need to even try that.

Really what impresses me the most about guys like Rust, Sheehan, Horny, (even Hagelin to a degree) is that they do the right things. The get the puck deep. They generally are responsible defensively. The forecheck aggressively. Jake is usually good. Sheary....not as often. Phil is Phil. When Geno and Sid play the right way, this team is darn good. As HCMS says, make the other team go 200 feet and the Pens will win. Seems so simple doesn't it?

Hard to believe that with the standing in the east as they are this game tonight in Detroit is BIG. Assuming NJ and FLA win their games in hand, the Pens have a 4 point lead over 9th place NJ.

Really what impresses me the most about guys like Rust, Sheehan, Horny, (even Hagelin to a degree) is that they do the right things. The get the puck deep. They generally are responsible defensively. The forecheck aggressively. Jake is usually good. Sheary....not as often. Phil is Phil. When Geno and Sid play the right way, this team is darn good. As HCMS says, make the other team go 200 feet and the Pens will win. Seems so simple doesn't it?

its not rocket science, that's for sure.

at the same point in time you have to wonder how those 4 continue to make the same mistakes over and over and over, yet they are the face of the franchise. maddening.

its not rocket science, that's for sure.

at the same point in time you have to wonder how those 4 continue to make the same mistakes over and over and over, yet they are the face of the franchise. maddening.

Hey I said many times back in the early part of the year that HCMS should have scratched all 4 of the stars at various points for both stupid play and lazy play. As a fan, I can clearly tell when a player is coasting, especially Sid because he avoids the net area like it is diseased when he isn't interested. Geno and Phil don't shoot the puck.....however they don't shoot enough when engaged! Letang......I do think he tries. I just think the injuries have taken their toll there. I just hope he doesn't eat through a tube when he is old.

Hey I said many times back in the early part of the year that HCMS should have scratched all 4 of the stars at various points for both stupid play and lazy play. As a fan, I can clearly tell when a player is coasting, especially Sid because he avoids the net area like it is diseased when he isn't interested. Geno and Phil don't shoot the puck.....however they don't shoot enough when engaged! Letang......I do think he tries. I just think the injuries have taken their toll there. I just hope he doesn't eat through a tube when he is old.
He (Tanger) likely will unfortunately. He's taken a lot of abuse over the years, and imo it's why we are seeing him make more questionable or downright awful decisions. He can still let er dangle on the blades, and occasionally makes a great play offensively but it's the decision making process that is glaring. I honestly do respect him based on what he's been through even though he's a Frenchie @Irwineer2 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: , but then he is a hockey player and knows the risks associated...
As per the cross ice passes, I railed a little bit about em the other night, and I could live with half or more of em if the D could handle the turnover, or heaven forbid a forward would help out. But of course thats the trouble, when your 3rd D is the joker createing the TO well you're kinda rooked...not sure if this is happening or is perhaps more glaring due to the fact that our flip pass over the last few years is there maybe half the time now, the majority of teams have figured it out and shut it down....
Anyway Pens PP...lets make it 2 up boys!

He (Tanger) likely will unfortunately. He's taken a lot of abuse over the years, and imo it's why we are seeing him make more questionable or downright awful decisions. He can still let er dangle on the blades, and occasionally makes a great play offensively but it's the decision making process that is glaring. I honestly do respect him based on what he's been through even though he's a Frenchie @Irwineer2 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: , but then he is a hockey player and knows the risks associated...
As per the cross ice passes, I railed a little bit about em the other night, and I could live with half or more of em if the D could handle the turnover, or heaven forbid a forward would help out. But of course thats the trouble, when your 3rd D is the joker createing the TO well you're kinda rooked...not sure if this is happening or is perhaps more glaring due to the fact that our flip pass over the last few years is there maybe half the time now, the majority of teams have figured it out and shut it down....
Anyway Pens PP...lets make it 2 up boys!

this is where they missed maf this year. the guy is incredible one on one.

Isn't it something to see a half full, and dead quiet Little Caesars Arena...likely not like this since the 80's? Been to quite a few at the old Joe years back and this is sad....actually no it isn't , their fanbase is essentially a bunch of asshats. Let it happen.

this is where they missed maf this year. the guy is incredible one on one.
Decidedly more acrobatic than Murray, more old school really less of a blocker and more of a...well pretzel when he has to be imo, and I'm surprised he is still in the shape to do it. It might have something to do with the cartwheels in the arena hallways (which made me cringe last playoff) lol...I also honestly wonder how much of the last 2 Cups had to do with the opposition preparation for not one but two goalies with vastly different styles? I just wànted MAF to stay in the damned net when out there! I can remember once at the old Igloo and again at CEC a guy (maybe the same one) screaming at volume 11 from the rafters 'GET BACK IN NET FLEURY!!!' [roll]

Does this happen sometimes? Often? I'm on the Centre Ice Package which is fairly exhorbitant price wise but I am a sucker.... this gives me the joy of listening to Mickey Redmond tonight however...and that frankly sucks.

I'm confused af.

It doesn’t happen often. I also have the center ice, but certain games get blacked out. This is one of them. For some reason, my root sports Pittsburgh, NHL network, and center ice have this game black out. It has been this way for Detroit and Toronto.

It doesn’t happen often. I also have the center ice, but certain games get blacked out. This is one of them. For some reason, my root sports Pittsburgh, NHL network, and center ice have this game black out. It has been this way for Detroit and Toronto.
Raise hell my friend...raise hell...they are supposed to gaurantee every damned game aren't they? They do here...

I missed sid's rookie year because I had moved to lebanon county pa which for some god dam reason was in pittsburgh local and philly local area for sports channels, except comcast there didn't carry the pittsburgh channel, just the philly one. so I bought centre ice package only to find out all pens games were blacked out on centre ice because I was supposed to be able to view them on local sports channel. you could imagine my anger trying to get an answer on opening night.

Daley is the one I REALLY miss btw...not the best defensively at times but a pretty good puck mover outta the zone. Couldn't figure why they didn't offer 4 for 4 at his age, would think he's worth it. Unless he didn't want to come back for whatever reason? Cole was decent but replaceable imo...

I missed sid's rookie year because I had moved to lebanon county pa which for some god dam reason was in pittsburgh local and philly local area for sports channels, except comcast there didn't carry the pittsburgh channel, just the philly one. so I bought centre ice package only to find out all pens games were blacked out on centre ice because I was supposed to be able to view them on local sports channel. you could imagine my anger trying to get an answer on opening night.
Holy shit...that would definitely burst a blood vessel....

9:18 left in 2nd period and the Pens have 11 shots. This lack of urgency, effort, care, or whatever in late March is disgusting from my point of view.

Oh this is great...they have made it easier for the on ice officials with the new review protocal, as the sun fries their brains in Florida at GM meetings, yet more difficult for us...so we'll all have to sit around and wait for the powers that be still...just a grand master plan I tell ya!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT