ADVERTISEMENT

Pens -- JAN 2020

COOL MAN

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2001
So, what do we want to see improved upon versus December......
  • Better record (10-2).....doubt that's possible, regardless of the crazy road schedule
  • Injuries......let's see; Sid, Dumo, Schultzie, Horndog, Tricky Nicky, Jake, etc, etc, etc
Guess we can hope/pray for a more favorable injury month......and perhaps they can squeeze out a combined handful of goals from Yuk and Tricky (if/when he returns). I also worry that Letang and Geno are both about due to be hurt again......and finally, who's going to bull rush Jarry in the slot and knock him out for an extended period.

Other that that.......:eek:

According to DK, here were the line combinations yesterday at practice......

Alex Galchenyuk -- Evgeni Malkin -- Bryan Rust
Dominik Simon -- Jared McCann -- Patric Hornqvist
Zach Aston-Reese -- Teddy Blueger -- Brandon Tanev
Dominik Kahun -- Joseph Blandisi -- Sam Lafferty

Also, Sid was said to be back skating on his own.....and that his "practice" the other day was more a function of ice availability rather than any indicator he's that close to returning. Finally, neither Dumo or Schultzie are skating as yet.....and Dumo supposedly is still using a crutch.

NHL's 3 stars for December

#1 - J, Huberdeau -- 6/16/22 (with three 4-point games) in 13 games
#2 - T. Jarry -- 8 wins, 3 SO's, 1.54 GAA, .947 save %, 177:45 minute shutout streak in 9 games
#3 - Breadman -- 10/12/22 (with 3-straight 3-point games) in 14 games

Errey said the Guins allowed THREE 2 on 1's in that period.....we all know they've done a pretty good job reducing their odd-man-rushes-allowed this season.....and look what happens when they fall back into the old ways.

Unfortunately, Jarry couldn't bail them out of THAT period.......

Reactions: torontoeers
They did...I give Dell credit as well...he was solid late. At least they notch the point. Hopefully they are firing on all cylinders to exact some revenge on Sat night...

Letang isn't getting savaged quite to the extent I expected this morning.....partially because he was viewed to have played a decent game aside the penalty, and also because the Guins' media perspective is that Couture embellished the play pretty badly. But it also seems to me team media has become somewhat less "sensitized" to his mistakes......maybe because they're admittedly down this season (but clearly still exist).

I can't get out of my mind that KL came into camp this season with a fairly serious hard-on for the media, after being called out pretty vocally for all his f*** ups last year......and he didn't like it one bit. For that reason, I feel like he was giving the press corps the cold shoulder. But as a team leader, the scribes need access to him on a daily basis; and for that reason, he might be getting a little more of the kid-gloves this year.

Anyway, JMO.....still, you just hate to lose on home ice to a team which, as was mentioned in today's game accounts, got shutout by the Dead Wings just two nights earlier. Meanwhile, good point about revenge on Saturday night......Habs outplayed the Guins pretty badly in Pittsburgh a couple weeks ago, and some payback would be nice, especially coming off last night's disappointment.

Just hope it's not one of those Saturday nights in Montreal where Carey Price (like he did in Pittsburgh) does his brick wall impression. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed Jarry doesn't wake up this morning with after-effects of that weird 3rd period gyration in the goal where he was thought by Mearsy and Errey to possibly have been hurt.

Letang isn't getting savaged quite to the extent I expected this morning.....partially because he was viewed to have played a decent game aside the penalty, and also because the Guins' media perspective is that Couture embellished the play pretty badly. But it also seems to me team media has become somewhat less "sensitized" to his mistakes......maybe because they're admittedly down this season (but clearly still exist).

I can't get out of my mind that KL came into camp this season with a fairly serious hard-on for the media, after being called out pretty vocally for all his f*** ups last year......and he didn't like it one bit. For that reason, I feel like he was giving the press corps the cold shoulder. But as a team leader, the scribes need access to him on a daily basis; and for that reason, he might be getting a little more of the kid-gloves this year.

Anyway, JMO.....still, you just hate to lose on home ice to a team which, as was mentioned in today's game accounts, got shutout by the Dead Wings just two nights earlier. Meanwhile, good point about revenge on Saturday night......Habs outplayed the Guins pretty badly in Pittsburgh a couple weeks ago, and some payback would be nice, especially coming off last night's disappointment.

Just hope it's not one of those Saturday nights in Montreal where Carey Price (like he did in Pittsburgh) does his brick wall impression. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed Jarry doesn't wake up this morning with after-effects of that weird 3rd period gyration in the goal where he was thought by Mearsy and Errey to possibly have been hurt.
What's your educated guess on starter's for this back to back? I'm inclined to think Jarry for Sat and MM on Sunday? Neither netminder was spectacular in the last games vs Habs/Panthers, wonder for this reason if Sully might reverse it and start 30 in Montreal...I'm actually a bit concerned for whomever is in the cage Sunday. With a 5pm start after returning from Montreal that's a bit tight with rest on a fairly depleted lineup, and the way these guys pre game plan...they may well be pretty gassed.

I just got a text that Sid was started today's practice in gray and switched to full contact black during the session. Interesting......

Apparently a false alarm.

Last edited:
I just got a text that Sid was started today's practice in gray and switched to full contact black during the session. Interesting......

Apparently a false alarm.
Damn!
parks-and-recreation-fire-alarm.gif

What's your educated guess on starter's for this back to back? I'm inclined to think Jarry for Sat and MM on Sunday? Neither netminder was spectacular in the last games vs Habs/Panthers, wonder for this reason if Sully might reverse it and start 30 in Montreal...I'm actually a bit concerned for whomever is in the cage Sunday. With a 5pm start after returning from Montreal that's a bit tight with rest on a fairly depleted lineup, and the way these guys pre game plan...they may well be pretty gassed.
Pretty smart play by Sully if ya ask me leaving Jarry back in The Burgh, so he's well rested for Sunday...

Reactions: COOL MAN
Uh...Larmi is the backup tonight cause DeSmith lost his passport??? Anyone else hear this? Wtf?

So, go figure.......we can only assume now that Murray will get hurt in the first 5 minutes of the game, and Sully will be forced to play a goaltender who has about as much business in the crease as yours truly.

That is, if Larmi can find his own passport.

So, go figure.......we can only assume now that Murray will get hurt in the first 5 minutes of the game, and Sully will be forced to play a goaltender who has about as much business in the crease as yours truly.

That is, if Larmi can find his own passport.
I'm wondering if this is some manner of protest by Casey...if so it's not a good look...and if he wasn't trade bait before he likely is now.

San Jose over the Blojax 3-2 in Columbus, ending their 12 game points streak......keep an eye out to see if the Sharks go on a nice winning streak leaving Pittsbugh and Columbus. Of course, they're at the Craps tomorrow and at St Louis on Tuesday.

I'm wondering if this is some manner of protest by Casey...if so it's not a good look...and if he wasn't trade bait before he likely is now.

Who knows......but I find that hard to believe. It's not like he's got a whole lot of leverage; plus he's earning (I believe) his full $1.25 million NHL salary in WB/S, so it's not like he's being shortchanged.

But I guess we'll find out soon enough......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT