ADVERTISEMENT

Pens -- NOV 2019

Murray used to look HUGE in the crease. This year he simply doesn't. I have no idea why other than he is flopping a lot more to my eyes...he's gotta find it at some point no?
Is it the coaching? I'd consider changing that to start if so...

Murray used to look HUGE in the crease. This year he simply doesn't. I have no idea why other than he is flopping a lot more to my eyes...he's gotta find it at some point no?

I keep hoping he finds the level of play we saw in the finals two years ago. but he seems to be going the other way.

Reactions: torontoeers
Well it's not something I usually pay attention to but apparently Buckley has mentored Murray since the start in WB/S? Maybe that's not the answer...something is goin on between 30's ears I would think regardless.

Brilliant. After the almost shorty, JJ tips it and the often overcommit by Jarry, oh no but wait!there is more! Let's let him walk in Tanger and wire one on Jarry's glove...pathetic night...

Night before Thanksgiving has typically been pretty good at home for the Guins. My cousin and I went to this game at the Igloo virtually every season in HS and then college, and I witnessed my only NHL all time record on 11/22/72......5 goals in 2:07 versus the Blues in a 10-4 win.

Bryan Hextall, Jean Pronovost, Al McDonough, Ken Schinkel, and Ron Schock.....

Night before Thanksgiving has typically been pretty good at home for the Guins. My cousin and I went to this game at the Igloo virtually every season in HS and then college, and I witnessed my only NHL all time record on 11/22/72......5 goals in 2:07 versus the Blues in a 10-4 win.

Bryan Hextall, Jean Pronovost, Al McDonough, Ken Schinkel, and Ron Schock.....

You know, I looked at this post again and realized that game to which I referred is slowly approaching 50 YEARS AGO. Jeezus, I realize I'm an old man (62+); but seldom is that fact so blatantly displayed......AND BY ME, for crying out loud (well, except when people actually look at me).

Thoughts on the goalie tandem for tomorrow and Saturday.......my own gut feeling is that Jarry will start in Columbus, and Murray in St Louis.

Meanwhile, in a completely unrelated issue, I don't think Bill Peters did himself any favors at all with the letter he sent to the Flames. Was presumably written by his agent.......or his attorney.......but I don't see how it helped/helps diffuse the situation in any way, shape, or form.

Thoughts on the goalie tandem for tomorrow and Saturday.......my own gut feeling is that Jarry will start in Columbus, and Murray in St Louis.

Meanwhile, in a completely unrelated issue, I don't think Bill Peters did himself any favors at all with the letter he sent to the Flames. Was presumably written by his agent.......or his attorney.......but I don't see how it helped/helps diffuse the situation in any way, shape, or form.
Ya , really not much of anything in that letter. His reps obviously know if they get specific about any actions or particular names it'll definitely open up civil suits etc... not that those won't happen regardless. I guess the thing that's a bit odd with this one is although they have a decision to make (let's face it, he's dead man walking), The Flames seem to be in the clear. The Hawks and Canes? There is some sweat accumulating in those particular offices... and perhaps in a few others around the league too. Another shoe will surely drop soon imo...

As per the goaltending scenario you may be right... after Murray crapped the bed last night (I thought the hook shoulda been after the 3rd marker, as it was plain to see he just didn't have it), Jarry did himself no favours either. If he had performed better I would think the cage would be his for now.

Back to #30... although he hasn't been anything other than average this year, that was right off the edge of a cliff. Sometimes it happens and a good goalie cant stop a beach ball ( see Price last night lol), so I guess I'm hopeful it was a one off. I know one thing, it would be damned odd for a goaltender who has won two Cups in fine form ( no matter who helped alongside him in the cage) with not a terrible but less than stellar D , to fall right off the edge of earth. Is it mental? Physical? Technique? Opponents having the full book on him? No idea truthfully, gonna ask my goalie buddies their thoughts....he seems to have bounced back well in the past with some ice in veins, hopefully that happens again soon...

Reactions: COOL MAN
One more thing... have a safe, and happy Thanksgiving you lugheads. Hopefully you all get to spend some valuable fun times with family and friends. Sucks that my holiday is long gone now lol.

Reactions: COOL MAN
Ya , really not much of anything in that letter. His reps obviously know if they get specific about any actions or particular names it'll definitely open up civil suits etc... not that those won't happen regardless. I guess the thing that's a bit odd with this one is although they have a decision to make (let's face it, he's dead man walking), The Flames seem to be in the clear. The Hawks and Canes? There is some sweat accumulating in those particular offices... and perhaps in a few others around the league too. Another shoe will surely drop soon imo...

After freely admitting I know little about Peters personally beyond his previous act with the media down in Carolina, I've been reading various media accounts of the guy over the past couple days, and found the following by Eric Francis in a Sportsnet piece from Tuesday......

>>>>A man of many enemies as an old-school coach<<<<<<

In other words, it appears as though the guy indeed must be a well-known asshole/POS north of the border.....and that his comments (and physical confrontations) evidently aren't a huge surprise to those who know him initimately.

While again admitting once again I'm not a fan of dredging up 10 year old stories.....meaning it seems typically silly he was a perfectly fine (if hard nosed) coach on Sunday, but was a leper by puck drop versus the Guins on Monday night.....the more I read about this guy leads me to believe now the League may a fair amount better place if he was just exiled to Iqaluit to become a full-time char fisherman.

Meanwhile, wonder if he's been at Grapes' home in Toronto the past couple days downing Buds by the case......speaking of Grapes, I kinda wish he was still around to tell Ron MacLean on HNIC this weekend how great a guy Peters really is/was.

Back to #30... although he hasn't been anything other than average this year, that was right off the edge of a cliff. Sometimes it happens and a good goalie cant stop a beach ball ( see Price last night lol), so I guess I'm hopeful it was a one off. I know one thing, it would be damned odd for a goaltender who has won two Cups in fine form ( no matter who helped alongside him in the cage) with not a terrible but less than stellar D , to fall right off the edge of earth. Is it mental? Physical? Technique? Opponents having the full book on him? No idea truthfully, gonna ask my goalie buddies their thoughts....he seems to have bounced back well in the past with some ice in veins, hopefully that happens again soon...

I don't claim to know much about goaltending......or the psychology of those who wear the equipment.......but I'm wondering if Murray would, at least for the time being, be better starting on the road rather than at home. Of course, as is the way things inevitably happen.....after this weekend's road back-to-back.....the Pens play 5 of their next 6 at home.

They have a Western Canada swing coming up the week of 12/16......too bad that's not coming a week earlier.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT