ADVERTISEMENT

Pens -- FEB 2017

Where in the heck is the COOLMAN anyway lol? He hasn't been seen since Wednesday...I am hoping he's wandered a few hours up the road from home for tonight's tilt! :wink:

Was in Michigan all week; caught only part of Lange and The Ol' 2-niner on XM for Sid's thousandth, and took my wife and daughter out for a belated Valentine's Day dinner last night.....and only joined in last night in time to see the Pens get dominated in the 2nd.

I just can't get over this feeling the Blow Jackets never seem to have any trouble getting the Pens to play THEIR game; Pens can't seem to skate their way through (or around) that uber-heavy game. While I realize Sid at least drew iron last night, the CBJ still have the recipe to take him out of the game most of the time.

Meanwhile, they win seemingly EVERY physical battle, and always seem to have the slot covered.....a place where the Pens have a lot of their offensive success. Add to that the reality the Blow Jackets can skate with the Pens almost stride for stride, and you're left with arguably their toughest match-up in the League.

The Blow Jackets prove how badly the Pens need Geno......about their ONLY player with the right size......to come up big. And they DO piss off Geno, which typically is good for the Pens; but the rest of the squad just can't seem to pick it up under the Columbus pressure. Of course, when Pens ARE a better team when they play with all six of their top defensemen, though I doubt Maatta makes much of a difference last night.

I admit it; I just friggin' HATE when they have to try and deal with the Blow Jackets.....they're certainly not unbeatable, but I feel like they're just too tough to manage over a 7-game series unless Bob comes up small.

Reactions: torontoeers
Craps actually lose today in regulation time to a Rangers team who has either the personnel or scheme to always give them trouble......here's hoping the Guins can payback the Dead Wings for all that fun they had at the Pens expense a few weeks ago in Detroit.

So Sid tells (I think) Edzo he didn't expect the Pens to come out very well because they didn't skate yesterday.......and MAN, did he call THAT one. Breakdowns in their own zone led to scoring chances, and I frankly didn't think Murray played the first goal off the odd man rush very well at all. And they're lucky Mrazek allowed the shorthanded soft one.

But if the Pens can turn possession around and start getting SOG, I feel Mrazek could collapse.

Craps actually lose today in regulation time to a Rangers team who has either the personnel or scheme to always give them trouble......here's hoping the Guins can payback the Dead Wings for all that fun they had at the Pens expense a few weeks ago in Detroit.
I caught the last two periods of the Rangers/Craps game. While I am not a huge Rangers fan, I will root for them any day over those jackwagons from Washington.

Reactions: COOL MAN
This was the most disappointing performance I've seen since they got whacked in Minnesota back at New Year's (I missed the two road ass-kicking at Columbus and Washington). Nobody had a good game, and several.....Letang, in particular.....downright stunk up the joint. Obviously, they didn't bring anything home with them from Columbus.

Oh, and I couldn't have been more wrong......today, at least......abour Mrazek, who was probably as overdue for a strong game against Pittsburgh as any goaltender in the League. He was EXCELLENT today.

Reactions: Euell
It seems Ole torontoeers is on his way in to 'fix' the Centre Ice scoreboard at the ACC...There is a game TONIGHT vs the Jets....gulp....they are lowering it for me at 1pm...gulp again....:scream:....

Hope you busted up the Home score field, and programmed some kind of pause on the Laffs penalty timers.......

Hope you busted up the Home score field, and programmed some kind of pause on the Laffs penalty timers.......
I attempted to put them down 2 - donut for an eternity...they were getting suspicious lol. Amazing the electrical involved in this thing. 4 - 200 amp panels, and multiple, and I mean multiple relays...I found the offending DC power to controller loose connection to the north side screen within minutes thank goodness lol. I will try and upload a picture or 2 for ya.

And Geno to the box...GSUS....

The first is one of the 12 relay control boxes (the offending one)...
pnCCYgO3j

pmzJzmsFj

pmnYsyGVj

• I missed last night's game; going by stats alone, the Pens appear lucky to have escaped with a win. Perhaps someone can tell me if that's a fair assessment.
  • As the deadline approaches, something tells me GMJR.....with the Pens collecting points, but really not playing very well......is absolutely dying to make a big splash for somebody like Shattenkirk. Unfortunately, it's hard to believe what he's likely prepared to deal is even remotely good enough to interest Doug Armstrong. It wouldn't surprise me if JR is trying to peddle Carl Hagelin here, though we all know he's overpriced for the amount of offense he can create.
  • There's been a lot of talk about this Brendan Smith from Detroit because he's priced right. But I myself am not the least bit anxious to do Kenny Holland any kind of favor for a rental he's dying to shit can anyway.
  • If they do make some move for defense......which may be critical with half their Top 6 currently injured.....I myself think Johnny Oduya is the most likely target. It's being said he might be part of a Fleury deal, which would also require the Pens to take back (probably) Antti Niemi, plus play some number games. Not that anyone cares, but I'd generally be OK with that deal.
  • I think it was THN who published a list of trade predictions on FB yesterday, which had the Pens involved in 3 or 4 different deals. None of them really plussed me very much, except for Sprong and a #1 to Detroit for Thomas Vanek. I realize Sprong is anything but a can't miss prospect, and a #1 is of dubious value in this Draft. But to give up the team's far-and-away best forward prospect and a #1 for a guy who might not score a goal in a Pens jersey sounded pretty stoopid to me.
  • Oh, and belated kudos to t for the cool photos of the ACC electronics.

• I missed last night's game; going by stats alone, the Pens appear lucky to have escaped with a win. Perhaps someone can tell me if that's a fair assessment.
  • As the deadline approaches, something tells me GMJR.....with the Pens collecting points, but really not playing very well......is absolutely dying to make a big splash for somebody like Shattenkirk. Unfortunately, it's hard to believe what he's likely prepared to deal is even remotely good enough to interest Doug Armstrong. It wouldn't surprise me if JR is trying to peddle Carl Hagelin here, though we all know he's overpriced for the amount of offense he can create.
  • There's been a lot of talk about this Brendan Smith from Detroit because he's priced right. But I myself am not the least bit anxious to do Kenny Holland any kind of favor for a rental he's dying to shit can anyway.
  • If they do make some move for defense......which may be critical with half their Top 6 currently injured.....I myself think Johnny Oduya is the most likely target. It's being said he might be part of a Fleury deal, which would also require the Pens to take back (probably) Antti Niemi, plus play some number games. Not that anyone cares, but I'd generally be OK with that deal.
  • I think it was THN who published a list of trade predictions on FB yesterday, which had the Pens involved in 3 or 4 different deals. None of them really plussed me very much, except for Sprong and a #1 to Detroit for Thomas Vanek. I realize Sprong is anything but a can't miss prospect, and a #1 is of dubious value in this Draft. But to give up the team's far-and-away best forward prospect and a #1 for a guy who might not score a goal in a Pens jersey sounded pretty stoopid to me.
  • Oh, and belated kudos to t for the cool photos of the ACC electronics.
Can't argue with anything you say here at all...I would do that Stars deal if the numbers lined up effectively.
Last night imo they did look better than the stats indicated thankfully. They were skating well and by the 3rd it was obvious to my eyes who the better team was. At least impressive that it was vs a team that has been pretty darn good at home thus far, although that stat is waning for the Canes of late...
See my thread on Miracle CM ...I'd be curious to your thoughts, and especially just where you were that day (s) either vs Soviets or Finland and how you remember it...thanks.

I just read where the Pens picked up defenseman Ron Hainsey from Carolina. I don't really know anything about him, although I am sure you guys do. I believe the article said they gave up a player from WBS and a future draft pick.

Aside the opinions of the cement heads......who are going crazy over the #2 (which is nowhere near as valuable, in most cases, as the number makes it appear) they gave up......the Hainsey deal looks reasonable enough for a team positively desperate for defensive bodies. The guy is at least established, and he won't be asked to do remotely what was being asked of him in Raleigh.

I know some are hoping for a Justin Schultz resurrection. That's a stretch, because I don't think he's even close to the same offensive talent. But he has a chance to play a key pure defensive role, especially on the Pens comparatively weak PK. On the DK site this afternoon, he was reportedly falling all over himself regarding his first ever chance to play in the playoffs..

I just read where the Pens picked up defenseman Ron Hainsey from Carolina. I don't really know anything about him, although I am sure you guys do. I believe the article said they gave up a player from WBS and a future draft pick.
I am pretty much down with the CM analysis on this one Euell...he is an above average skater, good passing skills, not much of a shot at all (from what I have seen of him) but he is a capable stopgap in the meantime imo...as CM says the late second is worth the spend, and in reality Hainsey will be relied on for a month or so (hopefully) to weather the storm. A sensible move by GMJR imo. Especially since the Canes retain half of his 3 mil hit, and he is a UFA. Welcome aboard, and when can you start I say! .....also a better option than Olesky (although he has filled in best he can) at this juncture imo.

Borderline 60 degrees on Saturday at Heinz fellas? Hopefully cools down a bit by gametime or this icemaker is going to have to be a magician....slow chippy ice will not play in our favour....

Borderline 60 degrees on Saturday at Heinz fellas? Hopefully cools down a bit by gametime or this icemaker is going to have to be a magician....slow chippy ice will not play in our favour....

From what I can tell listening to NHLN Radio, the Flyers are a borderline train wreck right now.......though I assume Gudas and Manning will be out there playing THEIR game no matter what's happening on the scoreboard.

GMJR just said on the NHLN TV day-before-the-Stadium-Series coverage that Flower has apparently informed him he wants to play.......which was taken to mean THIS SEASON. He then said he expects this will go to the final 48 hours ahead of the deadline.

The NHLN TV host cast.....including Steve Mears, EJ Hradek, and Kevin Weekes.....about fell over when they realized what he said. Pretty candid assessment, though JR certainly seemed to imply he'd prefer go thru the playoffs WITH Flower, and work things out this summer.

Meanwhile, there were several reports today that the Blues had a deal in principle with Tampa Bay for Shattenkirk, and that they'd proactively offered him a 6 year $42 million deal.....which he reportedy TURNED DOWN. If true, most think he needs his head examined, considering how good a spot Tampa is viewed widely to be.

Hradek said, if this is all true, it's a clear indicator Shattenkirk knows exactly where he wants to play; which is generally presumed to be with the NYR. But unfortunately for KS, the Rangers......who aren't exactly resource rich from a depth of talent OR draft choice point of view.....don't really NEED to give up assets now to get him later.

One more thing here late on Friday afternoon; did you guys happen to notice that the Rangers (at 80 points) have moved into 3rd place in the Metro, 1 point ahead of Columbus (at 79 points) ?? It things stayed this way, the Pens (at 82 points) would avoid the Blow Jackets altogether in the 1st Round.....which I myself would absolutely kill to see happen.

But with only 3 points separating the 3 teams, the Pens arguably could end up finishing in 4th about as easily as 2nd or 3rd. Pens have a game in hand over the Rangers, and the Blow Jackets have one in hand over the Pens. Meanwhile, the Blow Jackets have TWO in hand over the Rangers.

Let's hope it turns out just like on the pond....skill and speed kill brawn and bravado, although I'm not sure how much bravado these asshat Cryers should possess right now, punish them....Let's F'N GO!!!!!!

Great...Pierre....and Pierre you are an IDIOT. It would have to be a bloody hurricane for the wind to affect the puck in any appreciable way. But thanks for the hyperbole jackass....

And Sully essentially just told him...shut up about the wind jackwagon...

Moreover the temp change is the single biggest factor in the game...the warmth followed by fast freeze will and is turning the ice into a curling rink, the ice flakes apart like crazy...as we can literally see by eye...

And Sid shuts him down too...can we give up this charade now Pierre? Sorry to harp fellas but I'm calling a spade a spade...and you know my thoughts on him...:wink:

Last edited:
Pens missing half their defense is showing, and Geno and Kessel are total and complete no-shows thus far; and aside the goal......which, fortunately, DOES count.....Crosby has done nothing else. As usual, Flyers are controlling the physical play; at least Murray has played solid. But the way this game is going, it won't shock me at all if the game is tied going to the locker room after the 2nd.

Pens missing half their defense is showing, and Geno and Kessel are total and complete no-shows thus far; and aside the goal......which, fortunately, DOES count.....Crosby has done nothing else. As usual, Flyers are controlling the physical play; at least Murray has played solid. But the way this game is going, it won't shock me at all if the game is tied going to the locker room after the 2nd.
Wouldn't have shocked this guy either...some shots( low percentage ones) on at the end there in that power play but I sensed they sensed they were playing against the clock... Cryers will come out banging away if hay is not made on the end of this pp in the third...no doubt.

And I agree with that synopsis by Jones (I think it was) this intermission...if you're the Pens simply 'GET RID OF THEM' ...continue to make them a speed bump in the Metro...time is now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT