ADVERTISEMENT

Pens -- FEB 2017

Tkachuk just like his dad...trying to start shit with the Murray show shower...only not quite as dirty....and there he slides into MM ...yeah...like father like son!

Damn...Kris is usually automatic...off the bar...I am a purest I want 2 points a win, one point a tie, and Jack squat for a loss period no matter how it happens!!!! The traditional methodology separates men from boys throughout the season quite easily. ASSHAT Bettman. Killing it for lifelong hockey fans and dressing it up for the new ones...IMO.

I thought the OT holding call on Daley was legitimate......

Kessel was an even bigger waste of time tonight than Sid.....not that big a shock the Pens came up so small tonight; as I recall, they did the same thing against the Flames at home even later last season.

Too bad the Pens just weren't interested in playing tonight.

I thought the OT holding call on Daley was legitimate......

Kessel was an even bigger waste of time tonight than Sid.....not that big a shock the Pens came up so small tonight; as I recall, they did the same thing against the Flames at home even later last season.

Too bad the Pens just weren't interested in playing tonight.
We will agree to disagree on the Daley call CM...In regulation that is a call from time to time in OT it is as the wind blows apparently...I saw one play similar by Tkachuk equally ignored...in OT. I thought nonetheless that it was too little too late yet again from the Pens..

We will agree to disagree on the Daley call CM...In regulation that is a call from time to time in OT it is as the wind blows apparently...I saw one play similar by Tkachuk equally ignored...in OT. I thought nonetheless that it was too little too late yet again from the Pens..

Oh, I'm certainly not disputing the point you're making; it's just that really is how the wind blows sometimes. I found myself thinking Daley just figured he could get away with that kind of hold in OT; maybe because he remembered how the stripes passed on the Tkaczuk non-call to which you refer. And perhaps it should have been let go, but he got double-crossed.

It brings to mind the OT call versus the Blow Jackets last week, when Atkinson (defending from behind) got the tip of his blade into Sid's arm and received the hooking penalty. Certainly wasn't a horrible call.....and we know Sid sometimes gets the benefit of the doubt in situations like that.....but it could easily have been let go. Of course, that PP resulted in the game winner for the Pens.

Anyway, speaking of Sid, I guess he's been reading the papers lately about his lack of success in the circle; he was 18 for 24 on faceoffs last night. I wouldn't be surprised if that was his single best batting average this season.

Reactions: torontoeers
Tkachuk just like his dad...trying to start shit with the Murray show shower...only not quite as dirty....and there he slides into MM ...yeah...like father like son!

Since he was exclusively a Western guy, I admit I really don't know much about Keith Tkaczuk aside the fact he was thought of as a pretty aggressive guy. But he's been out of the League for a fair amount of time, and you still seem very familiar with his old act, t.

Did he cheap shot one of your favorites at some time in the past ???

Since he was exclusively a Western guy, I admit I really don't know much about Keith Tkaczuk aside the fact he was thought of as a pretty aggressive guy. But he's been out of the League for a fair amount of time, and you still seem very familiar with his old act, t.

Did he cheap shot one of your favorites at some time in the past ???
Here is but one...of many...i remember it well. Obviously it bothered me re: the 'colours' :wink: on the ice however ,it really has nothing to do with country in the end. There have been just as many in Red and White to do similar to opposition. For example I despised Matt Cooke. Just hated the fact he was a Pen. Made me ashamed some nights watching his antics...no idea why Mario insisted keeping him in the fold as long as he did.

FYI re: the young fella, apparently he has had more than one questionable infraction this year. Which I honestly did not know...

Also...Footer was no angel either on his retaliation after the stick to back of his helmet...

Last edited:
These next 2 are IMO critical to get gents. We know both the Av's and Yates will be amped up a bit at home vs the Cup Champs but, these are teams that points should be taken from any way possible. Not sure I'll make it the duration tonight but hoping for a quick start!

I know we got the two points but it surely wasn't due to any intensity or responsibility on the defensive end. Fortunately Colorado stinks and Murray played very well. Horny had the motor going all night and why in the world didn't Kunitz feed him for the HT?

Here is but one...of many...i remember it well. Obviously it bothered me re: the 'colours' :wink: on the ice however ,it really has nothing to do with country in the end. There have been just as many in Red and White to do similar to opposition. For example I despised Matt Cooke. Just hated the fact he was a Pen. Made me ashamed some nights watching his antics...no idea why Mario insisted keeping him in the fold as long as he did.

FYI re: the young fella, apparently he has had more than one questionable infraction this year. Which I honestly did not know...Also...Footer was no angel either on his retaliation after the stick to back of his helmet...

That was a pretty interesting exchange between Tkaczuk and Foote....kinda funny to hear (I think) Davidson falling all over himself as to how dirty TK's whirlybird two-hander was (which it was). Of course, he's rooting for Canada in that game.

Regarding Matt Cooke, I always assumed.....though it really never seemed to be reported that much locally.....the Pens kept Cooke solely because many of his worst offenses (which I don't believe includes the Savard kill-shot) happened in the first year of the 3 year deal he'd signed. If they'd have justifiably released him, they'd have had upwards of $2 million in dead cap money for two seasons; cap room unavailable after Sid and Geno had signed new big-money deals.

Cooke seemed largely to change his act (in Pittsburgh, at least) after Mario suspended him and then cut him loose on the psychiatrists. But it's clear he did things he'd simply never be able to live down. And while it's no secret he was a pretty effective player for the Pens, they were always looked down upon around the League for continuing to pay him. It obviously didn't help the League claimed there were no rules in place at the time to proactively suspend him after he destroyed Savard. For that reason alone, I was always surprised the current review/suspension rule pertaining to questionable hits was never nicknamed the "Matt Cooke Rule".

Anyway, I do recall the time he got his skate up into Erik Karlsson calf and was lambasted (mostly by Ottawa media and the player himself) after the resulting fairly-serious cut. I myself never thought he did that one maliciously.....I always felt it was just an unfortunate result of their 2-man washing-machine scrum in the corner.....but it just added to his "legend". I lost track of him after he signed in Minnesota; but I do seem to recall him running afoul of the rules at least once or twice there.

The Saturday morning papers are bringing, I think, fair attention to the fact the Pens speed has been DRAMATICALLY affected with the injuries to Hags, Rusty, and Sheary.

Not sure why I myself never put two and two together on this before, but there's no question these losses are undermining what the team wants to do. And worse, none of the three (including Rusty, who was injured the other night and evidently won't be formally evaluated until the team returns to Pittsburgh) appear close to returning to the lineup.

I guess Geno may be ready to play tonight, which is obviously a good thing......but his return probably won't do much to improve team speed in any appreciable way.

The Saturday morning papers are bringing, I think, fair attention to the fact the Pens speed has been DRAMATICALLY affected with the injuries to Hags, Rusty, and Sheary.

Not sure why I myself never put two and two together on this before, but there's no question these losses are undermining what the team wants to do. And worse, none of the three (including Rusty, who was injured the other night and evidently won't be formally evaluated until the team returns to Pittsburgh) appear close to returning to the lineup.

I guess Geno may be ready to play tonight, which is obviously a good thing......but his return probably won't do much to improve team speed in any appreciable way.

Unreal how the Pens are injured so frequently.

I would really like to see Rusty back ASAP...especially with the recent Sheary injury.....and I would also REALLY like to see Geno stay out of the sin bin tonight...get the W again whether it is as ugly as Thursday night was at times or not....

WTF was that??? MAF ????

Morning papers saying the game losing shot was deflected.

Even if it WAS......and the replays at the time didn't convince me......I (and I've never played goal) find it hard to believe its direction changed THAT much that Flower got beaten SO cleanly, and on the short side no less. Not to mention that the shooter wasn't exactly Ovechkin or Shea Weber (or even Tobias Rieder, who scored his customary goal pretty much every time he plays Pittsburgh anyway). For me, that one belongs prominently in his growing book of brain farts.

Sid wears the collar again; of course, a federal case has been made about the skate save Johnson made on him in the Calgary game (plus the 2-poster he had the other night). Anyway, I myself have been thinking quietly that Sid might be wearing down; which was brought to particular light in Josh Yohe's piece yesterday on the DK site.

He reports there are noises from the room about fatigue; potentially exacerbated by the fact HCMS isn't giving the team much time off......including insisting on a morning skate which a lot (if not MOST) head coaches have recently abandoned, particularly in this shrunken season. Keep an eye on this as we proceed towards what's being called a "grueling" March and April.

Last edited:
The Pens have been aligned.....perhaps that's not the right word.....on the inter-webs with the Matt Duchene situation in Colorado (and, for that matter, Shattenkirk in St Louis). The deals being thrown around have the Pens theoretically offering some combination of Flower, Pouliot, Fehr, and a maybe a #1 (in what's apparently being thought of as a weak 2017 draft). Of course, none of that really addresses the salary cap issues it would create.

It's no secret fans want chicken salad in return for chicken shit; but even by absurdly high New York-type standards, this "deal" is a downright funny proposition. I don't think GMJR has any intention of shopping Sheary and/or Rusty, but I don't see how a deal for Duchene even begins without one or both of them involved. And that's before the fact neither is as well-regarded around the League as in Pittsburgh, mostly because neither was previously a high Draft pick (Rusty was a #3 and Sheary a FA) with the corresponding lineage..

I'd like somebody come up with a package GMJR could get Colorado to actually consider in exchange for Duchene; though I think we can all agree he probably can't do it. Hell, I'm not even sure the 'Lanche would be interested in somebody like Letang because of his cap number. No, if Rutherford does anything, I expect it to be a depth move; something like the Winnik deal a couple years ago. Meanwhile, would anybody be interested in the current edition of Marc-Andre Fleury for a 2017 playoff run ??

Hey t, you and Matt Murray officially have something in common besides the Penguins......

http://www.pensburgh.com/2017/2/13/...of-his-world-cup-of-hockey-sticks-for-charity
And there we go lol! Atta boy Matty! In regards to that Newf pup (adorable), and helping out the rescue shelter....this tugs quite nicely at my heartstrings being a Newf lover and a happy pops to our rescue boy Lou.
I'm not sure I can curse him now when he let's in a weak one lol :wink:....
My boy wearing his Christmas gift pictured. I think MM would approve?
pmiGshR9j

He is receiving an extended treatment (at least a few weeks, being boarded) for that bum leg as we speak up North in Fenelon Falls. We miss him a lot but hope for the best...
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

PS I want that stick! Although something tells me a real deep pocket will come up with it. Which is certainly a good thing no less....

Reactions: COOL MAN
After watching that spectacular crash and burn in Lawrence, I needed to soothe my bruised ego here on the MMB......and, lo and behold, I'm greeted by Lou's big smile and his black and gold trim !!!

The Pens have been aligned.....perhaps that's not the right word.....on the inter-webs with the Matt Duchene situation in Colorado (and, for that matter, Shattenkirk in St Louis). The deals being thrown around have the Pens theoretically offering some combination of Flower, Pouliot, Fehr, and a maybe a #1 (in what's apparently being thought of as a weak 2017 draft). Of course, none of that really addresses the salary cap issues it would create.

It's no secret fans want chicken salad in return for chicken shit; but even by absurdly high New York-type standards, this "deal" is a downright funny proposition. I don't think GMJR has any intention of shopping Sheary and/or Rusty, but I don't see how a deal for Duchene even begins without one or both of them involved. And that's before the fact neither is as well-regarded around the League as in Pittsburgh, mostly because neither was previously a high Draft pick (Rusty was a #3 and Sheary a FA) with the corresponding lineage..

I'd like somebody come up with a package GMJR could get Colorado to actually consider in exchange for Duchene; though I think we can all agree he probably can't do it. Hell, I'm not even sure the 'Lanche would be interested in somebody like Letang because of his cap number. No, if Rutherford does anything, I expect it to be a depth move; something like the Winnik deal a couple years ago. Meanwhile, would anybody be interested in the current edition of Marc-Andre Fleury for a 2017 playoff run ??
Been wracking my brain on potential combos re: Duchene ...Pouliot I think they'd have some interest in, Fehr yes as he has a friendly cap # imo...what about Hags? Not sure GMJR could convince them to take him at 4 per, and his recent relatively unsuccessful stint out West. His speed is an asset but the writing is on the wall in regards to his finishing skills. I also keep hearing that the Av's are content to wait till Varley gets back ,which if you ask me is pure insanity... hip surgery on a goalie? Yikes...
I'm sure they'll want a late first and one of Geuntzel or Strong too. The latter sure but Geuntzel no way, take a long hike in the Rockies!
Not sure the Habs have enough to offer them but Duchene would fit in well there too imo. I am hopeful they don't land him.

I am starting to wonder if Shattenkirk is the more viable option. He fills a need as well, and the Blues need pieces. Not my ideal choice for several reasons but....well....hmmm.................

And....Therein fired! You called it the other day CM lol...I don't feel sorry for him (I remember his jackass act in The Burgh at the end of his tenure), or necessarily happy for Price either! Let's see if Julien handles him with kid gloves and let's him get his way...this will be interesting!

Decent first but time to capitalize fellas...Shorthouse (whom I don't often get a chance to hear out east here...the usual SN Canucks play by play) has been very balanced and fair on my feed...Colour man Garrett is like nails on a chalkboard for me...once a period exhibits how he is completely off the wall...a fool.

Nice little play there capitalizing on the Canucks breakdown...particularly like Horny's effort to tie up/run just enough interference lol....he is REALLY engaged over the last month or so!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT