ADVERTISEMENT

Pens -- FEB 2017

I just saw on ESPN that Conor Sheary is out 4-6 weeks. That is a killer!

Morning papers reporting that Matt Cullen is the current odds-on to replace Conor Sheary on Sid's left side. Speaking of Sid, keep an eye on him tonight versus the Blow Jackets the faceoff circle; I read this morning he was a downright ridiculous 3-14 in that 1-7 ass-kicking earlier this season.

Meanwhile, I didn't see the game where Sheary was injured; I'm reading he's got an UBI......but does anyone know anything else about the injury ??

Morning papers reporting that Matt Cullen is the current odds-on to replace Conor Sheary on Sid's left side. Speaking of Sid, keep an eye on him tonight versus the Blow Jackets the faceoff circle; I read this morning he was a downright ridiculous 3-14 in that 1-7 ass-kicking earlier this season.

Meanwhile, I didn't see the game where Sheary was injured; I'm reading he's got an UBI......but does anyone know anything else about the injury ??
I am not sure how or when it happened. Huge loss though.

I am not sure how or when it happened. Huge loss though.

I hope it's not too big a loss.....obviously, the kid wasn't going to continue his wacky scoring streak the rest of this season.

Even if he were playing tonight.....and better yet, scored an early goal.....one of the Torts' goons would likely face-plant him into the glass before the end of the 1st anyway and he'd miss the last 2 periods. Still, he even seemed to have Sid charged-up about his recent play, which doesn't happen very often.

But whether they're hot or cold, the Blow Jackets remain one of the 2 or 3 toughest physical match-ups in the League for the Pens. And since the likelihood is reasonably high the two will be matched up in Round 1 in April, they really do need to get a win on the board against them to feel better about what they're doing.

The way I look at it.....like the 1960 Pirates proved.....how badly you lose 3 of 7 doesn't matter; the only thing that really matters if you win the other 4 of 7 by an average of 1. Here's hoping they get started with that tonight.

I hope it's not too big a loss.....obviously, the kid wasn't going to continue his wacky scoring streak the rest of this season.

Even if he were playing tonight.....and better yet, scored an early goal.....one of the Torts' goons would likely face-plant him into the glass before the end of the 1st anyway and he'd miss the last 2 periods. Still, he even seemed to have Sid charged-up about his recent play, which doesn't happen very often.

But whether they're hot or cold, the Blow Jackets remain one of the 2 or 3 toughest physical match-ups in the League for the Pens. And since the likelihood is reasonably high the two will be matched up in Round 1 in April, they really do need to get a win on the board against them to feel better about what they're doing.

The way I look at it.....like the 1960 Pirates proved.....how badly you lose 3 of 7 doesn't matter; the only thing that really matters if you win the other 4 of 7 by an average of 1. Here's hoping they get started with that tonight.
1960 Bucs is good analogy.

Ex-Pens D-man Scott Harrington (#54) in the lineup tonight for the Blow Jackets.

81 lights up the lamp after Letang makes a beautiful play to keep the puck in the zone! Pens up 1-0 and looking good!

Impressive first period for the Pens. They need to play with the same intensity in the second.

81 lights up the lamp after Letang makes a beautiful play to keep the puck in the zone! Pens up 1-0 and looking good!

That laser beam was Kessel at his best, and nice to pick up the second on a scramble, and especially late. Fairly even period, I thought......making this 2-0 lead all the better

Reactions: Euell
Bonino. Bonino. Bonino. Bonino. Bonino.. Bonino. Bonino. Bonino. Nick Bonnnnniiiiiinnnnnnooooooo!

Glad to see Nicky B cash-in late to offset the whopping 6th of the year by the $5 million man Dubinsky; among THE most overpaid players of any type in professional sports. But THE worst part of this entire game is being subjected to the miserable Fox Sports Ohio Blow Jackets broadcast team (with the Center Ice Pens broadcast blacked out in my market).

Blow Jackets broadcasters were talking about how strong they were at 4 on 4, and they make it count in less than 30 seconds. They got lucky when Saad largely lost control of the puck and it ended up right on Wennberg's stick (while Sid was skating in circles in the defensive zone).

Pens have not lost all year when leading after two I believe. That streak is in jeopardy after CBJ ties it up and has the mo.

Hate to admit it, but the Blow Jackets have earned this tie honestly. Using their size to their advantage......as they've done since the opening faceoff.....and clearly outworkng the Pens. Lucky t isn't watching this one, considerung how much his buddy Jenner is taking liberties with everyone in Black & Gold.

It'd be nice if Sid would shelve that disappearing act tonight that we've been seeing from him more and more recently.

PK with the game winner in OT! The play Sid made to get the breakaway and draw the penalty made the difference.

Happy with the 2 points, but angry they allowed one given their 2 goal lead (well, for 30 seconds) 3rd period lead.

Happy with the 2 points, but angry they allowed one given their 2 goal lead (well, for 30 seconds) 3rd period lead.
I agree. However, much better than losing to these asshats 7-1 like last time.

I agree. However, much better than losing to these asshats 7-1 like last time.

No question; but I regret my own eyes didn't see a whole bunch last night to give me confidence in the Pens chances versus Columbus in a 7-game series.

As always, the Blow Jackets are MUCH bigger.....they have no problems taking physical liberties when the stripes (as was the case last night, as well as during the playoffs) leave their whistles in the locker room **......and worse, they're a bigger/tougher team who proved they CAN skate with the Pens. I also think Torts' raging, long-term hatred for the Pens......IMO, as bad as ANY in the League from a head coach directed toward an opponent.....is really THE fuel that drives his team.

That leaves me to worry the Pens best chance to beat them in a series is hoping Bobrovsky is off his game; on balance, not a pleasant prospect.

**I do recognize the Pens got the PP in overtime.....and on a call I thought was a kinda' soft. I also found myself wondering if that call was the stripes FINALLY giving one to Sid after all the on-the-edge/over-the-edge shit he consistently deals with versus Columbus.

If Letang didn't have BAD injury luck, he wouldn't have any luck at all.....

Very nice win last night.......admittedly against a Blues team who didn't look all THAT motivated at home (where they have reputation of being pretty tough to beat) and especially playing for a new HC.....coming off what I thought were mixed results versus Columbus.

But Flower looked pretty sharp (even though the Blues goal was a softie), and they found a way to break through that Blues defensive Maginot line WAY better than a week ago on Pittsburgh. Sid's first goal certainly highlighted his hands......and Schultzie's his passing......and I'm grateful Tanger finished the game after getting steamrolled.

Anyway, they did what they needed to do; still, I admit I'm PO'd they aren't tied for 2nd in the Metro this morning (after the Blow Jackets' no-show last night versus the NJD).

Reactions: torontoeers
The 2017 Scugog Pond Hockey Mountaineers.
Went 0 fer unfortunately but the last game we played was a close one vs a good group of guys, and the first 2 teams we played ended up in the final.
Tons of fun and surprisingly I am not too sore today as I am not getting any younger ... for the record I am #13 'North-South' lol.
20170204_131427_zps4uijidft.jpg

20170204_131902_zpsaqmujwp9.jpg

20170204_131719_zpss3xl7xdd.jpg

Reactions: COOL MAN
Looked like a very nice day......at least comparatively speaking......weather-wise on Scugog Pond. I don't know what position you play, t, but did you score ??

You also gotta tell 33 to get rid of that Tarheel Blue helmet if he wants to play for the Mountaineers..... :wink:

Looked like a very nice day......at least comparatively speaking......weather-wise on Scugog Pond. I don't know what position you play, t, but did you score ??

You also gotta tell 33 to get rid of that Tarheel Blue helmet if he wants to play for the Mountaineers..... :wink:
Lol I agree!

It is 3 on 3 no goalies only a 6" high slot to score, each team has a max of six players so we simply roll 2 lines. One D man who will bump up in the play and 2 forwards. I generally play at a F position. Last game was a 24-22 loss (how's that for a hockey score), and yes I scored 3 in that one.

Our second game (we are guaranteed 3 games), one team comprised of a local restaurants staff had 3 skaters. We kinda looked at each other and said either these fellas are gonna end up real tired or they are gonna skate us into the ground! It was the latter...38-8 final lol. I heard from one of the other teams that they actually have 2 former Junior A players, and travel the province to other tourneys . They were in the final vs the first team we played, did not hear who won. Both teams were quite fast and skilled....

Malkin back at practice but not ready to play, and Hagelin out indefinitely with a concussion courtesy of Alex Steen's elbow.

From the "what a difference a year makes" Department......and no, this isn't about the Pens....I've been hearing recently about the Flyers benching Shayne Gostisbehere (who was a legit Calder candidate in 2015/16). And now, his name has surfaced as far up the food chain as nhl.com as a possible trade candidate.

I admit I don't follow the Flyers too close from a distance other than those games where they play the Pens; so I don't know much about his current problems (though I was hearing about them back before the New Year). But NHL kids like Ghost have dealt with sophomore slumps ever since rookies were invented; go ask the Dead Wings about that. Regardless, somebody with the Flyers.....though maybe it's more the HC than the GM.....has problems with the kid. I couldn't care less if he gets traded or to whom; but something tells me that might be a pretty big mistake.

Meanwhile, Claude Julien....after all the rumors the past couple months.....is finally out in Boston; good time to do it with the Patriots all over the headlines. I don't know (or care) if this is the right move; after all, the more the B's lose, the better I always like it. But somebody had to take responsibility for the team's continuing inability to get righted, and it sure wasn't going to be Bergeron or Marchand (and Sweeney has been GM for less than 2 years.....though I'm not convinced he couldn't be sacrificed in an after-the-season house burn down).

Julien was there 10 years, so it's probably the right time for both parties to move on anyway. I know the consensus is he'll have his pick of available jobs at such a time he wants to get back in the game. Will be curious to see if the Habs would take him out for a second spin if they disappoint in the playoffs and finally kill Mike Therrein.

Reactions: torontoeers
Looking forward to tonight's game against Calgary; I'm not sure I've watched an entire Flames game....in fact, I'd bet my life on it.....since Johnny Hockey arrived in Calgary.

Our second game (we are guaranteed 3 games), one team comprised of a local restaurants staff had 3 skaters. We kinda looked at each other and said either these fellas are gonna end up real tired or they are gonna skate us into the ground! It was the latter...38-8 final lol. I heard from one of the other teams that they actually have 2 former Junior A players, and travel the province to other tourneys . They were in the final vs the first team we played, did not hear who won. Both teams were quite fast and skilled....

Kinda' redefines the term "shooting gallery", eh t ?? Your goaltender must have been screaming like Denny Lemieux after that one :D

Educate me about that classification Junior A; is that the top of Canadian Juniors (like the O or Q) ?? If so, I guess that means those two opponents to which you refer had legitimate NHL aspirations at some point in time.

What's the entry level age in your League.....is it like over, say, 30 ??

Absolutely blah performance thus far......
I agree with Shannon on my feed in the intermission. I want Sid on the ice but 2 mins is too damn long. Get off after 1.30 Sid. As we can see you are gassed after choking it up...you guys know me, I will defend Sid till the ends of the earth lol...however he imo has looked awful tonight thus far....he has had chances , but I sense he is trying to do way to much I am hoping this bur in his side ,he uses more effectively in the 3rd. Let's face it...these Flames are not world beaters and they have a sometime maligned goalie in the net...as I type...Sid crossbar and out arrrggghhh!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT