ADVERTISEMENT

(OT) Talk About Off-Topic...

Lost a good friend and coworker of 23 years today.

Spent the weekend in Miami watching the Steelers (and stuff) with him (and 12 others) and I'm the one to find his body today after he got electrocuted in some switchgear at work.

After it became obvious there was no bringing him back I made the call to his brother. ...not a pleasant moment in my life. While I can't imagine the agony when I see his wife and daughters I really wonder why I don't feel worse atm.

Maybe I am an apathetic monster. I certainly should be showing/feeling more grief.

Maybe I really am a broken human being.

If you were an apathetic monster, I doubt he would have been a life-long friend? So sorry for your lose man!

Last edited:
Lost a good friend and coworker of 23 years today.

Spent the weekend in Miami watching the Steelers (and stuff) with him (and 12 others) and I'm the one to find his body today after he got electrocuted in some switchgear at work.

After it became obvious there was no bringing him back I made the call to his brother. ...not a pleasant moment in my life. While I can't imagine the agony when I see his wife and daughters I really wonder why I don't feel worse atm.

Maybe I am an apathetic monster. I certainly should be showing/feeling more grief.

Maybe I really am a broken human being.

Very sorry you had to endure this Olaco. Grief is s fickle thing, there is no format.

Hit me a little harder today.

I knew his wife (then his girlfriend) for over 20 years and his 16 and 18 year old daughters since their births. While I'm dealing with his death ok....I almost breakdown each and every time I get dragged into a conversation about his family.

...ohh...and dealing with OSHA was a pleasant experience too.

Losing a loved one or a close friend can be a bit disorienting because it's like a piece of who we are, a piece of our own identity, is taken away. We lose a friend. And we lose a piece of ourselves.

Grief is real and can be a powerful undercurrent in our lives that we may not be fully cognizant of at times. If we are prone to see the imperfection, or incompleteness, of others, that unrecognized undercurrent of grief over the loss of a loved one, and the loss of a part of ourselves, can manifest itself in being that much more judgmental or aggravated with other people. It's like we expect them to make up what is now lacking in our life.

Just recognize that. And even though you don't believe in the "magic" of prayer it very well may be a good thing to offer some test prayers along the lines of, "God ... if you really are there ... what lesson would you have me learn from this loss? Are there lessons to learn from death? Can life be enriched by grappling with the reality of death?" Just some food for thought.

I knew his wife (then his girlfriend) for over 20 years and his 16 and 18 year old daughters since their births. While I'm dealing with his death ok....I almost breakdown each and every time I get dragged into a conversation about his family.

Sincerely sorry for your loss...and his families loss. I am an electrical foreman over the last 10 years here and take the safety/ responsibility of those under my direction pretty seriously....I always tend to worry pretty much every day ...is there something I've forgotten to mention, or reiterate to the guys? I won't lie...I also worry about my own ass on the line should something go wrong. How can one not...however my eyes ...nobody's eyes can be everywhere all the time, and no matter all the checks and balances shit still seems to happen....I can tell you (as I assume you can) a few stories of myself getting too big for my britches and deserving it or a big wallop even after testing and checking it twice...hard lessons and thankfully here I am.

Take care.

I'd also be grateful to here more of his story at some point, although I understand this may not be the time or place you want to tell it....

Last edited:

My sincerest condolences. Losing a friend or a family member is never easy. Notifying people of the loss of a family member is extremely difficult. My thoughts are with you.

Reactions: WVex-pat in GA
Smart phones only have that name because young people have become dumb.

....and yes, in time I will share the story about the death of my friend...because the local media certainly f'd up the facts.

Never have seen a ref help a player up until today... ....Tom Brady.

I'd also be grateful to here more of his story at some point, although I understand this may not be the time or place you want to tell it....

This forum is fine and I'm close to being able to discuss it rationally/non-emotionally. ....just not tonight.

Reactions: torontoeers
If there is anything more I can do let me know....

Thx man... ..but I guess I'm fine.

I only start breaking down like a whiny bitch when I have to deal with his wife or kids (who I've known for over 20 years or since birth).

I really am a huge emotional pussy.

Thx man... ..but I guess I'm fine.

I only start breaking down like a whiny bitch when I have to deal with his wife or kids (who I've known for over 20 years or since birth).

I really am a huge emotional pussy.

Yea I know that, but have been worried about you keeping it all in (like you do and others pay for it)...

Yea I know that, but have been worried about you keeping it all in (like you do and others pay for it)...

It's all good.. ..even though I did break-down the company supplied 'grief counselor' .

I won't/don't tolerate people doing jobs where it seems (to me) like they're just putting their time in. She seemingly helped others though...so wtf do I know?

It's all good.. ..even though I did break-down the company supplied 'grief counselor' .

I won't/don't tolerate people doing jobs where it seems (to me) like they're just putting their time in. She seemingly helped others though...so wtf do I know?

Was he hot or was it just another woman?

Reactions: WVURobinHood
Considering recent events I'm close to moving home (WV).

Might as well change my profession too, considering I'll be taking a huge pay cut regardless. I've been researching hotdog carts/vehicles... ...the market is obviously popular in our state and the margin of profit is actually huge.

Might need to figure out something for the winter months or just concentrate on a college town.

Thoughts ?

Considering recent events I'm close to moving home (WV).

Might as well change my profession too, considering I'll be taking a huge pay cut regardless. I've been researching hotdog carts/vehicles... ...the market is obviously popular in our state and the margin of profit is actually huge.

Might need to figure out something for the winter months or just concentrate on a college town.

Thoughts ?

Great idea. With a successful cart you could actually take off the months of January, February and mid-March. Like the Westover DQ does. You in a small bikini would sure do the trick...

Great idea. With a successful cart you could actually take off the months of January, February and mid-March. Like the Westover DQ does. You in a small bikini would sure do the trick...

I'm actually being serious (really). Near top of the line carts can be had for under 5 g's. Obviously there's other large costs and considerations but none I feel are out of my league.

With even decent cover I could pull sales down outside the coliseum and certainly by the downtown bars even during crappy months. I'm not one to start real small though...maybe 3 carts to get advertising/sales going during the festival months.

Plus...I own the rights to the 'ORLACO' brand name (at least in the USA) so I already have that going for me.

I'm actually being serious (really). Near top of the line carts can be had for under 5 g's. Obviously there's other large costs and considerations but none I feel are out of my league.

With even decent cover I could pull sales down outside the coliseum and certainly by the downtown bars even during crappy months. I'm not one to start real small though...maybe 3 carts to get advertising/sales going during the festival months.

Plus...I own the rights to the 'ORLACO' brand name (at least in the USA) so I already have that going for me.

Orlaco Wieners

giphy.gif

Hmmm... ...doing more research maybe I just go all in with a full sized food truck specializing in dogs-and-things. ...aka All-DAT (and more).

Secrets... ...who has one or more major ones ?

I've got secrets about things I've done, thought about, or have been done to me.

Anybody blessed enough to not have any?

we all have secrets. those that say they don't have horrible secrets.

Hmmm... ...I said I do and I still have horrible secrets. I guess the diff is that those were beyond my control (yet I won't share them).

Hmmm... ...I said I do and I still have horrible secrets. I guess the diff is that those were beyond my control (yet I won't share them).

many of us have had secrets beyond our control. i don't say that to make light of your secrets..

and some secrets should go to the grave.

many of us have had secrets beyond our control.

and some secrets should go to the grave.

Your post is why I bring up the topic. Why should what others did be secrets we take to our graves?

It'll happen though (in my case)...but wtf?

In/on my hotdog trailer/truck all buns get buttered and toasted.

...it's the little things done right that make the diff....

Doesn't matter who I voted for I still recalled the Eddie Murphy 'He f'n won ?' part of one of his 80's stand ups once I woke and checked the voting results. ...also Obama related I guess.

NSFW

...and while I'm linking grainy old crap... ...my fav music video that used movie footage.

Ms. Orlaco, based upon my own observations of working 20 years of the Charleston Sternwheel Regatta I suggest adding funnel cakes to the menu if you have trucks and it's practical. People seem to love them and they're easy to make.

We all have three personas. Our public one which we show the public, our personal one we show family and friends, and then our private one that includes passing thoughts or dreams that may even disgust ourselves that we share with no one. We've all also done things we want no one to know about.

One more thing; Don't torture yourself, dear. That's our job.

Reactions: WVex-pat in GA
Ms. Orlaco, based upon my own observations of working 20 years of the Charleston Sternwheel Regatta I suggest adding funnel cakes to the menu if you have trucks and it's practical. People seem to love them and they're easy to make.

We all have three personas. Our public one which we show the public, our personal one we show family and friends, and then our private one that includes passing thoughts or dreams that may even disgust ourselves that we share with no one. We've all also done things we want no one to know about.

One more thing; Don't torture yourself, dear. That's our job.

You let everyone know you wear mom jeans..............

Reactions: michaelwalkerbr
Pet-peeve #1021... ....when in the produce section of the local grocery store please don't toss that mucus dripping down your throat type cough left and right without even attempting to cover your mouth.

How about the 250 lb. woman in light colored yoga tights with a hairy guy wearing bibbed overalls and no shirt in the produce section? Saw that in Rock Hill, South Carolina at a Target store during a heavy snowfall. I knew right then that Wal-Mart was closed. (It was)

Reactions: WVURobinHood
This is the perfect thread for our politikal thoughts................

Trump won.

What thinks you people?

Without engaging in futile political discourse, I just hope some of the 'celebrities' keep their promise and actually move to another country. That includes Justice Ginsburg.

This is the perfect thread for our politikal thoughts................

Trump won.

What thinks you people?

Like MW.. ..I'm not gonna get into an actual discussion regarding politics.

I will say that I went to bed thinking the presidential race was a lock for HC and was shocked when I checked the results in the morning. Crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT