ADVERTISEMENT

(OT) Talk About Off-Topic...

It's not "forcing" anyone. People can have as many kids as they want....they would just need to pay for the care of any children beyond the first 2.

I would love to hear how "we" can help stop this pattern that has helped ruin our healthcare system.

You'd probably need to do it from the opposite end. Instead of using an ultimatum, you would need to incentivize having the procedure.

For example, after a women gives birth (because that's the easiest time to do the procedure) offer a monetary incentive, perhaps in the form of a reimbursement to have a tubal performed.

Telling a woman that she either needs to have her tubes tied or lose her welfare would obviously never fly.

For men, offer the surgery for free with a similar incentive.

It's never the parent(s) I'm worried about. If we just let children suffer because of their parent(s) decisions, we will never fix the many problems that confront our society. I believe ALL government entitlements should come with certain conditions and evaluation. Therapy, drug treatment, skill training, education funding, or money for relocation should be a part of welfare or healthcare funds. It costs more in the short, so most would fight it, but can truly address the problem in the long run.

The problem with this is....you will need quality government representatives that will be properly trained in order to evaluate individual cases for the most effective options. Look at our police forces and teachers, some are well trained and well intended, but most are not.

Our teachers are probably the most educated in the world. Mostly all college educated with an advanced degree for a good percentage.

Hell, America has the most educated bartenders in the world too....college educated with advanced degrees for many.

We have more people with degrees in psychology, sociology and political science than ever but has it made a difference solving any real societal problems?

If we want to help these people we need to have an economy where "normal" folks have access to jobs that can give them a decent life....factory workers, manufacturing, ect. That's how the middle class was built.

Reactions: Boomboom521
You'd probably need to do it from the opposite end. Instead of using an ultimatum, you would need to incentivize having the procedure.

For example, after a women gives birth (because that's the easiest time to do the procedure) offer a monetary incentive, perhaps in the form of a reimbursement to have a tubal performed.

Telling a woman that she either needs to have her tubes tied or lose her welfare would obviously never fly.

For men, offer the surgery for free with a similar incentive.

I think the incentive approach is a great idea. ....but there's always going to be the crowd that say you're also encouraging those that do have safe sex to avoid pregnancy to now avoid it and risk disease. Seems like the well intentioned are so set on an agenda that progress doesn't get made....like with most politics.

Here's what I know though.... ...generational welfare (and other abuses) is an epidemic that's snowballing at an unsustainable pace.

----------

In Maine Gov. Paul LePage passed a requirement for food stamps where recipients that were not disabled needed to work, volunteer, or attend vocational classes for 20 hours a week. ....the amount of people staying in the program dropped from 12,000 to around 3000. Those numbers might be off a bit but anybody that does a search will see similar results.

I mean 20 hours?

Reactions: WVURobinHood
Our teachers are probably the most educated in the world. Mostly all college educated with an advanced degree for a good percentage.

Hell, America has the most educated bartenders in the world too....college educated with advanced degrees for many.

We have more people with degrees in psychology, sociology and political science than ever but has it made a difference solving any real societal problems?

If we want to help these people we need to have an economy where "normal" folks have access to jobs that can give them a decent life....factory workers, manufacturing, ect. That's how the middle class was built.
I like your point. Providing jobs, that pay as well as they did when the middle class was built, would be a HUGE step in the right direction. Our teachers might be the most educated in the world, but that doesn't mean that their training and evaluation are effective.

I think the incentive approach is a great idea. ....but there's always going to be the crowd that say you're also encouraging those that do have safe sex to avoid pregnancy to now avoid it and risk disease. Seems like the well intentioned are so set on an agenda that progress doesn't get made....like with most politics.

Here's what I know though.... ...generational welfare (and other abuses) is an epidemic that's snowballing at an unsustainable pace.

----------

In Maine Gov. Paul LePage passed a requirement for food stamps where recipients that were not disabled needed to work, volunteer, or attend vocational classes for 20 hours a week. ....the amount of people staying in the program dropped from 12,000 to around 3000. Those numbers might be off a bit but anybody that does a search will see similar results.

I mean 20 hours?
Incentives? I like the idea of trained case workers using financial aid for education, or financial support for relocation to areas that provide employment would be the best incentive. If refused, I'd have no problem with funds being limited despite additional children being born into the household.

Watching an Arby's commercial with some tag line about how their chicken sandwiches barely fit on the bun anymore....

.....and I wonder why they would advertise that they're now using even smaller buns.

Weird.

Let me know when a single person kneeling (or raising a fist) during the national anthem has served any time in the military.

I fully believe it's their right and it actually doesn't bother me (much) but I think it's interesting that those taking advantage of their rights have not actually participated in preserving them for others.

How can anyone believe that Captain Combover would make a great President? I understand frustration with regulation (esp in the mining hills of WV) and taxes, but if that man seemed Presidential to you last night....take another hit. First of all, we need to realize that the President isn't the only force in American politics. Congress (largely Republican dominated since 1997) has just as much, and in most cases more, power in steering the nation. However, the President must be able to create and maintain relationships abroad as well as in Congress to ensure a safe and prosperous nation. Trump might be an intelligent businessman, but he showed that he cannot be trusted to get anything actually done (which takes patience, poise, and respect). She looked Presidential.

Subway is now selling their $5 foot long sub (which isn't really a foot long) for $6 provided you buy an over priced soft drink too. Also you can buy half of a $5 foot long for $3.50.......... . Hurry on out and grab one, both are limited time offers.

Reactions: WVURobinHood
Watching an Arby's commercial with some tag line about how their chicken sandwiches barely fit on the bun anymore....

.....and I wonder why they would advertise that they're now using even smaller buns.

Weird.

Smaller buns............go into a grocery store and pick up an 8 pack of hamburger buns that not long ago weighed 16 ounces. These days the same package weighs 11 ounces. The buns aren't much bigger than the ones White Castle uses.

A boat crashes and three people die... ...which life was the most valuable ?

Oh Josh Gordon.... ....just can't stay away from the wacky weed.... ...even for millions of dollars.

The old school posters really have a hard-on for me. I can agree with their posts and they'll still bitch and whine.

I actually spent money to see the movie " Sully"(instead of waiting on Red Box and saving $30)..Tom Hanks was wonderful, but the film could have been shorter IMO..had me thinking..Geese mate for life, that's probably why they flew into the engines in the first place..

I actually spent money to see the movie " Sully"(instead of waiting on Red Box and saving $30)..Tom Hanks was wonderful, but the film could have been shorter IMO..had me thinking..Geese mate for life, that's probably why they flew into the engines in the first place..

Tom Hanks best work was in a movie called The Burbs.

I think it's currently streaming on Netflix. A goofy 80's comedy that I've always enjoyed.

Reactions: GoWVU

Where do you still find a redbox?

What happened to us vs. The Man ?

I can't recall the last time another car flashed their lights when a Smokey was up the road. Pisses me off....

What happened to us vs. The Man ?

I can't recall the last time another car flashed their lights when a Smokey was up the road. Pisses me off....

I still do it when I can as a courtesy to other drivers as I have benefited from the same action from others... pay it forward.
You have to be careful around here if they're running multiple cars you'll get pulled over out of spite.

I knew they were talking about it....but I see the USPS is now delivering (at least packages) on Sundays.

Why not...taxpayers are on the line when they lose even more money.

Ingredients
  • 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon whole cloves
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 3 cinnamon sticks (3 inches), broken
  • 1 gallon apple cider

Directions
  1. Fill the filter-lined basket of a large automatic percolator with the brown sugar, cloves, allspice and cinnamon sticks. Prepare as you would coffee according to manufacturer's directions, but substitute cider for water. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Editor's Note: Do not use a drip-style coffee maker for this recipe.

Words WVU fans should learn to spell (understand).... ....feel free to add your own.

---Looser is not the same as loser.

---'A lot' vs. alot or allot.

---Resigned vs. re-signed (huge diff)

They'll keep coming to me....
Another mistake that is rampant here and elsewhere:

"We could of won that Kansas St game last year. Dana should of just kicked out of bounds."

Those sentences are both incorrect.

The phrase is "could have", "should have", or "would have". It's also correct to write the shortened form that we use in speaking with an ('ve) combination as in "We could've won that game last year."

Two other things from reading the whole thread at once:

1) Orlaco's advice on the graphite lubricant was excellent...I just bought some and solved the problem with our front-door lock.
2) You are all gross. Nothing is more disgusting than all forms of mayo/Miracle Whip/ranch/bleu cheese/Thousand Island. That is all. [sick]

Have vinyl shutters that are faded by the sun and age ? Don't paint them...don't replace them. For a few bucks purchase a can of Penetrol, made by Flood as a paint additive to prevent streaking, at a large home improvement store.

Simply wipe on the shutters as if you were cleaning a table using Pledge. It re-oxidizes the vinyl and makes them look brand new for years. Wipe..not scrub... ....the hardest part is actually getting to the shutters.

One of my favorites is toothpicks/golf tees shoved in wood screw holes that are stripped out. Very handy for kitchen cabinets//door hinges. Tooth picks are faster, but a wood golf tee with some liquid nail is more permanent.

Reactions: WVex-pat in GA
Lost a good friend and coworker of 23 years today.

Spent the weekend in Miami watching the Steelers (and stuff) with him (and 12 others) and I'm the one to find his body today after he got electrocuted in some switchgear at work.

After it became obvious there was no bringing him back I made the call to his brother. ...not a pleasant moment in my life. While I can't imagine the agony when I see his wife and daughters I really wonder why I don't feel worse atm.

Maybe I am an apathetic monster. I certainly should be showing/feeling more grief.

Maybe I really am a broken human being.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT