ADVERTISEMENT

(OT) Talk About Off-Topic...

Orlaco

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 13, 2007
...this thread won't have one. No real rhyme or reason for any post.

Hopefully mods will be tolerant in this slow time period for WVU athletics.

Have vinyl shutters that are faded by the sun and age ? Don't paint them...don't replace them. For a few bucks purchase a can of Penetrol, made by Flood as a paint additive to prevent streaking, at a large home improvement store.

Simply wipe on the shutters as if you were cleaning a table using Pledge. It re-oxidizes the vinyl and makes them look brand new for years. Wipe..not scrub... ....the hardest part is actually getting to the shutters.

Have an older door lock or two that makes you wiggle that key to get it in (or out) or even puts up a bigger fight? Don't use WD40 (I worship that crap though) or spend up to hundreds of dollars replacing those stubborn locks.

Pay less than three bucks on a graphite lubricant...I use Hillside. Simply put the tip in the lock where the key goes and squeeze. You may or may not see little metallic looking shavings but the graphite is on its way to you having a lock that works like new. Next insert the key in and out a few times turning the lock now and then.

Repeat the simple process a second time if needed... ...needing a third time is unimaginable.

The lock will work easy...and the key will slide in and out even easier.

Last home improvement post for now...because my posts are slowly making a topic out of this thread intended to not have one.

Have a light fixture that you can't get a bulb to work in....or they burn out quickly? Don't make getting a new fixture your first option... ...matter of fact, short of cosmetic reasons, it should be way down your list.

Odds are the bulb isn't getting seated well in the lamp holder. It may not be making contact with the 'hot' or it's soft/loose contact causing arcing which greatly reduces life.

Options..

---With the switch that controls the light off (even better the circuit breaker) take needle nose pliers and pull the little tab where you screw the bulb out a bit. It'll feel spring loaded (although usually not)...and often gets pushed back too far to make good, if any, contact with the bulb. That tab is the hot and solid contact is a must for the long life of a bulb.

_--Use a lube. ...yep on a electric device. I use electralube...but several brands are available. You apply it to the bulb base so it will screw all the way in (making good contact with the
'Hot'). It doesn't conduct electricity so it's perfectly safe....plus it stays forever so that bulb will never be a challenge to replace.

_--The only other issue you can have with a light (that doesn't have a ballast) is a loose (or is it lose?) wire... ...either under a wirenut or a solder connection to the light fixture. ...again... ..both easy fixes.

We Are Marshall... ...just watched it again.

Horrible acting, but better than I remember it.

DJI Phantom quadrocopters... ...anybody have a review ?

Last home improvement post for now...because my posts are slowly making a topic out of this thread intended to not have one.

Have a light fixture that you can't get a bulb to work in....or they burn out quickly? Don't make getting a new fixture your first option... ...matter of fact, short of cosmetic reasons, it should be way down your list.

Odds are the bulb isn't getting seated well in the lamp holder. It may not be making contact with the 'hot' or it's soft/loose contact causing arcing which greatly reduces life.

Options..

---With the switch that controls the light off (even better the circuit breaker) take needle nose pliers and pull the little tab where you screw the bulb out a bit. It'll feel spring loaded (although usually not)...and often gets pushed back too far to make good, if any, contact with the bulb. That tab is the hot and solid contact is a must for the long life of a bulb.

_--Use a lube. ...yep on a electric device. I use electralube...but several brands are available. You apply it to the bulb base so it will screw all the way in (making good contact with the
'Hot'). It doesn't conduct electricity so it's perfectly safe....plus it stays forever so that bulb will never be a challenge to replace.

_--The only other issue you can have with a light (that doesn't have a ballast) is a loose (or is it lose?) wire... ...either under a wirenut or a solder connection to the light fixture. ...again... ..both easy fixes.
Yes...I understand the jist of your 'topic' with the current board climate, and feel your frustration. But are you certain having joe blow homeowner dicking around with hot tabs on lighting fixtures is the way to go? I'd rather they call in a fella like myself or a lady like Low Fat Milk to deal with their issue...and what is 'electralube'? Don't have this brand up here....I use a special di-electric grease (likely a similar variation) of which the name is escaping me now...I will have a look in my shop tomorrow for the branding...perhaps it is of the same/similar formula....

As long as you shut the power off at the box, there shouldn't be a the thing to worry about. Get a continuity checker to check the socket to be double safe and have at it.

A half a tater will get a broken bulb out of a socket. Shut the power off, stick the tater firmly on the broken bulb, and turn carefully. It should come out with no problem.

Is there nothing a tater can't fix?

As long as you shut the power off at the box, there shouldn't be a the thing to worry about. Get a continuity checker to check the socket to be double safe and have at it.

A half a tater will get a broken bulb out of a socket. Shut the power off, stick the tater firmly on the broken bulb, and turn carefully. It should come out with no problem.

Indeed...love this brand of ingenuity. ..and if you're feeling famished after working at that socket? Dig in! Potatoes are high in potassium which will help regulate the blood pressure. ...just be sure to eat the skin in order to get full value.
Also...your mashed potatoes lacking in flavor? Add a dollop of horseradish in there for some extra zip!!!

Indeed...love this brand of ingenuity. ..and if you're feeling famished after working at that socket? Dig in! Potatoes are high in potassium which will help regulate the blood pressure. ...just be sure to eat the skin in order to get full value.
Also...your mashed potatoes lacking in flavor? Add a dollop of horseradish in there for some extra zip!!!

One question...do you pick the glass out first?

There's nothing Mountaineers can't do.

Lawn care seems to be a challenge. Even people who do cut their grass regularly typically put their lawns in stressful conditions. Ever measure your grass after cutting? More than likely it's too short. 2.5-3 inches is a good length for the more common types of grasses (some rarer types can be much shorter though).

Cutting grass too short doesn't mean you cut less often if you follow the 'never cut more than a third of grass blades' in a single mowing rule of thumb. Plus, shaved yards are begging to become a safe haven for weeds (which grow faster than grass) and drought (heat) damage.

Caring for a well manicured yard is much easier than tackling one only a couple times a month.... ...it just is...

Reactions: 82Mountaineer
Lawn care seems to be a challenge. Even people who do cut their grass regularly typically put their lawns in stressful conditions. Ever measure your grass after cutting? More than likely it's too short. 2.5-3 inches is a good length for the more common types of grasses (some rarer types can be much shorter though).

Cutting grass too short doesn't mean you cut less often if you follow the 'never cut more than a third of grass blades' in a single mowing rule of thumb. Plus, shaved yards are begging to become a safe haven for weeds (which grow faster than grass) and drought (heat) damage.

Caring for a well manicured yard is much easier than tackling one only a couple times a month.... ...it just is...

my lawn

Gerrys-Lawn-at-home-708x404.jpg

Why gaming consoles suck IMO....

No mouse and keyboard for first person shooters. CLEARLY one advantage pc's have (had maybe) over consoles. The other was/is better graphics but countered by hardware/software issues getting the newest games working. A console game always just works.

Yeah, my cholestrol....

Words WVU fans should learn to spell (understand).... ....feel free to add your own.

---Looser is not the same as loser.

---'A lot' vs. alot or allot.

---Resigned vs. re-signed (huge diff)

They'll keep coming to me....

Words WVU fans should learn to spell (understand).... ....feel free to add your own.

---Looser is not the same as loser.

---'A lot' vs. alot or allot.

---Resigned vs. re-signed (huge diff)

They'll keep coming to me....

As a copy editor I say kudos to Orlaco!

As a copy editor I say kudos to Orlaco!

What's really pathetic ? .....I completely suck in regard to grammar.

I think people will tolerate my laziness online though. Still, regular spelling errors that fit perfectly with the WV stereotype is something I try to avoid. Let's air it out here though....

No anger at all. BobbyB and I have conversed on my home board and he loved my gif thread...He's cool.

I get around to a lot of the boards. Most are good guys..................................then there are guys like K2C....................... hey, transgender is cool I guess.

Must be a new law.

It seems you're not permitted to turn right on red........ ....while using a cellphone.

Must be a new law.

It seems you're not permitted to turn right on red........ ....while using a cellphone.

And Orlaco, never, ever text while waiting on a turn arrow. Talk about road rage when the arrow comes on on and you just sit there. It has to be justifiable homicide!

And Orlaco, never, ever text while waiting on a turn arrow. Talk about road rage when the arrow comes on on and you just sit there. It has to be justifiable homicide!

Yep.

Plus people in the fast lane get a phone call and suddenly they slow about 20 mph (sometimes referred to as going the speed limit) . ....completely oblivious cars are behind them AND the slow lane is wide open.

ADVERTISEMENT