ADVERTISEMENT

Yes. It’s time to Fire Neal Brown

Should have been fired a long time ago. It’s painfully obvious the guy is in way over his head. He has no clue how to construct a power-5 conference roster, how to coach a game etc. Heck, it amazes me the guy can even tie his shoes. He has done the impossible and made WVU a laughingstock, a program that is worse than Kansas. This team quit on him in each of the last 2 road games, which shows the players have no faith in Brown and his staff. There is no fire in this program. After 4 years of Brown this program still has no identity, no speed, no size, no quick-twitch guys. I don’t want to hear anybody say Brown has improved our recruiting. The fact is, what he has recruited is the worst roster in the Big 12. We have a bunch of junior high players, especially on defense. After 4 years, that’s all on Brown. The guy is inept. He proves as much week after week. Keeping him would be a commitment to hopelessness. If there has ever been a program in need of a spark, a change in direction, a new look, new leadership, a change in attitude, then it’s this one. There are a whole lot of people throughout the Big 12 who are hoping WVU keeps Brown. I can’t see how any of them can be from WVU. All Brown has done for this program has been to turn it, well, brown, as in a hot steaming dog turd.

Last edited:
Whats worse is being the new Kansas- look how long it took them to recover and they are just starting to. This disaster may have long reaching and all bad implications if something does t happen soon.

I was against him getting fired mid season when we started 0-2, and I thought that we would be a 6 to 7 win team this year, but Yesterday was the absolute worst I have ever seen a WVU team play in the big 12. Yes, Dana took some serious beatings, but Neal has set the program back and he knows it.

His body language and facial expressions are indicative of someone knowing they are out of options. The fact that he is threatening playing time in college is embarrassing as it gets. He’s outmatched, outmaneuvered, and outcoached on the sidelines week after week.

The other problem is that I’m not sure who is out there worth hiring at this point. I personally think you need to give it over to Graham To see what he can get done at the end of the year. At this point we are just going through the motions and we’re going to lose players left and right, yet again, and rightfully so. it’s hard to argue that a player should strongly consider leaving and transferring out when possible. He knows that he had his opportunity, and it just did not get it done, and he will not be back as a head coach in division one and a power five conference.

If WVU keeps losing they will lose players left and right. If on the other hand they hire a sound coach such as a Hugh Freeze or a few others, players will remain for a known capable coach.

Reactions: WVU_Dave
Should have been fired a long time ago. It’s painfully obvious the guy is in way over his head. He has no clue how to construct a power-5 conference roster, how to coach a game etc. Heck, it amazes me the guy can even tie his shoes. He has done the impossible and made WVU a laughingstock, a program that is worse than Kansas. This team quit on him in each of the last 2 road games, which shows the players have no faith in Brown and his staff. There is no fire in this program. After 4 years of Brown this program still has no identity, no speed, no size, no quick-twitch guys. I don’t want to hear anybody say Brown has improved our recruiting. The fact is, what he has recruited is the worst roster in the Big 12. We have a bunch of junior high players, especially on defense. After 4 years, that’s all on Brown. The guy is inept. He proves as much week after week. Keeping him would be a commitment to hopelessness. If there has ever been a program in need of a spark, a change in direction, a new look, new leadership, a change in attitude, then it’s this one. There are a whole lot of people throughout the Big 12 who are hoping WVU keeps Brown. I can’t see how any of them can be from WVU. All Brown has done for this program has been to turn it, well, brown, as in a hot steaming dog turd.

Well Lyons is in a pickle and it will be interesting to see what he does. If he fires Kneel and pays the ridiculous buyout, he knows how that reflect upon him....so he's really hoping Kneel does enough to justify another season. He also knows there is no more fan support for Brown, and keeping him around is going to really irritate the fan base.

He's in a lose lose situation, that he created entirely himself...year 4 we should be winning or have the upper hand to fire him

Reactions: steeleer
Well Lyons is in a pickle and it will be interesting to see what he does. If he fires Kneel and pays the ridiculous buyout, he knows how that reflect upon him....so he's really hoping Kneel does enough to justify another season. He also knows there is no more fan support for Brown, and keeping him around is going to really irritate the fan base.

He's in a lose lose situation, that he created entirely himself...year 4 we should be winning or have the upper hand to fire him

It should be irrelevant. Lyons should be gone ASAP no matter how the rest of this season goes. He has proven incompetent and shouldn't be anywhere near the impending FB and BB head coaching hires.

Brown has to be fired. People claiming there is no money to do so are pulling that out of their @$$ to try to scare off the fanbase from pushing for a new direction to save the program. Even with his incompetent extension, Lyons couldn't have just signed a deal with no possibility of paying it off if he got Kragthorped as he has.

There is four hard years of evidence --more than enough for anyone to understand that Brown is what he is and that's not a good P5 coach for WVU. Nothing is going to change with another year--as more players flee his flailing team it could even become worse (and the players that are here, despite the claims of some fantastic recruiting, have a last place BIG 12 record anyway). What game is he even going to be competitive in the rest of this season?

Good luck selling season tickets if he returns.

Brown has to be fired. People claiming there is no money to do so are pulling that out of their @$$ to try to scare off the fanbase from pushing for a new direction to save the program. Even with his incompetent extension, Lyons couldn't have just signed a deal with no possibility of paying it off if he got Kragthorped as he has.

There is four hard years of evidence --more than enough for anyone to understand that Brown is what he is and that's not a good P5 coach for WVU. Nothing is going to change with another year--as more players flee his flailing team it could even become worse (and the players that are here, despite the claims of some fantastic recruiting, have a last place BIG 12 record anyway). What game is he even going to be competitive in the rest of this season?

I thought you said you were leaving. Be gone bitch.

Whats worse is being the new Kansas- look how long it took them to recover and they are just starting to. This disaster may have long reaching and all bad implications if something does t happen soon.
When WVU upsets TCU....how long will you disappear for?

He's only 4 years in and keeps losing recruits to the portal, shouldn't we give him longer?
It's not that they are losing players to the portal. Every team in country is doing that. The problem is the replacements from the portal suck.

Really? So where is this 20 million for the HC and another 5 to 6 million for the staff coming from?

We know you have never bought Mountaineer season tickets in your entire life bone head.

WVU does have fantastic recruiting. Problem is you need more than just that.

Bucky is nothing. Hit the portal Bucky. Like you said you were going to do.

It should be irrelevant. Lyons should be gone ASAP no matter how the rest of this season goes. He has proven incompetent and shouldn't be anywhere near the impending FB and BB head coaching hires.

I completely agree, Im just not confident it will happen.

So what happens, we fire and replace Lyons and then his replacement hires a new coach?

Fine with me, but get on with it...we need the new boss in by bowl season.

Exactly why Administration needs to fire Lyons too. Maybe we can transition Huggs in as interim AD too

Idk, maybe...I think they are going to ride this out for another year, just my impression/opinion.

Shame and Kneel need to get fired, not sure Gee is up for that overhaul.

Question blabbered by a troll that in one post says fire Neal Brown and then turns around and attacks anyone suggesting the same:

Where is the $20 million coming from to buyout Brown?

First, Brown will not get any "lump sum" amount unless its negotiated. If its negotiated it would be negotiated DOWN as a lump sum. He will instead be paid out in increments for the remaining years of his contract.

Second, WVU athletics is bringing in $75 to $100 plus million per year EVERY year. So its not going to destroy WVU to pay out a few million per year to pay off the agreement. Its a tragedy that would have to be done because of mismanagement, but its a necessary move for the long term preservation of the entire AD. WVU didn't sign an agreement they could never pay off.

Its not up to me to provide the exact method of payout, its up to the BOG and AD who extended a coach with a losing record multiple more years to determine how to distribute their income into the necessary payouts.

If Brown has any integrity as his blind followers have claimed over and over, then he would agree to a severely reduced buyout for not doing what he was hired to do.

…. and thanks again for tuning into another episode of: “As the Bucket Turns”. The on going soap opera found here on the WV boards.

Tune in next month when we hear Bucket say: “I think if Brown has any integrity, he would agree to a reduced buyout.”

Reactions: WVUALLEN
OK then who would you like to pry loose as your next HC?
That’s a tremendous question. I don’t for see him getting fired mid season unless there is performances from the team that continue like the performance last week in Lubbock.

I made a comment back when we were beating the brakes off of Baylor how much I loved Matt Rhule. But apparently he is a massive long shot but I think if he had serious interest through back door conversations then who knows?

Hugh Freeze is no shape or form of the answer. He is at a university that is actually a really nice university and he is a diamond in the rough. They are stealing recruits away from UVA and Virginia Tech and it’s not because of Hugh.

Shawn Clark isn’t the answer (see above).

Hard pass on Tony Gibson

Rich Rod would cause a civil war but would be awesome to watch either way and make for some good TV

Jimbo or Nick? Get real LOL

Graham shows some moxy, but I think he falls into the Spavital Tier

So in summary, unless there is a strong candidate showing interest, I don’t think anything happens to him at the end of the year and I think he gets one more year. If he shows improvement over the next few weeks, then he definitely has an opportunity for another year. I’m just not sure how much the athletic department is willing to sit and watch this fall apart. For example I was at the Baylor game, and I bought a ticket and essentially sat wherever I wanted to and walked around without any obstruction or delay because the lack of attendance was quite shocking. First game I’ve been to in many many years end it was awesome, however nowhere near where it should be. And Saturday with a top 10 team coming to town, it’s going to look like a ghost town again. You can get as many tickets as you want lower level right now. I think that speaks volumes.

That’s a tremendous question. I don’t for see him getting fired mid season unless there is performances from the team that continue like the performance last week in Lubbock.

I made a comment back when we were beating the brakes off of Baylor how much I loved Matt Rhule. But apparently he is a massive long shot but I think if he had serious interest through back door conversations then who knows?

Hugh Freeze is no shape or form of the answer. He is at a university that is actually a really nice university and he is a diamond in the rough. They are stealing recruits away from UVA and Virginia Tech and it’s not because of Hugh.

Shawn Clark isn’t the answer (see above).

Hard pass on Tony Gibson

Rich Rod would cause a civil war but would be awesome to watch either way and make for some good TV

Jimbo or Nick? Get real LOL

Graham shows some moxy, but I think he falls into the Spavital Tier

So in summary, unless there is a strong candidate showing interest, I don’t think anything happens to him at the end of the year and I think he gets one more year. If he shows improvement over the next few weeks, then he definitely has an opportunity for another year. I’m just not sure how much the athletic department is willing to sit and watch this fall apart. For example I was at the Baylor game, and I bought a ticket and essentially sat wherever I wanted to and walked around without any obstruction or delay because the lack of attendance was quite shocking. First game I’ve been to in many many years end it was awesome, however nowhere near where it should be. And Saturday with a top 10 team coming to town, it’s going to look like a ghost town again. You can get as many tickets as you want lower level right now. I think that speaks volumes.
Rhule - Number 1 NO

Neal wants to win. Granted he is a few plays away from this record being a seismic different than what it is now, and let’s not forget, Rich Rod, Bill Stewart and Dana had similar performances. Twix in one year for Rich Rod against Maryland, Bill against Colorado and ECU, Dana against TT, KSu, etc…

Neal just seems like he is dejected

Question blabbered by a troll that in one post says fire Neal Brown and then turns around and attacks anyone suggesting the same:

Where is the $20 million coming from to buyout Brown?

First, Brown will not get any "lump sum" amount unless its negotiated. If its negotiated it would be negotiated DOWN as a lump sum. He will instead be paid out in increments for the remaining years of his contract.

Second, WVU athletics is bringing in $75 to $100 plus million per year EVERY year. So its not going to destroy WVU to pay out a few million per year to pay off the agreement. Its a tragedy that would have to be done because of mismanagement, but its a necessary move for the long term preservation of the entire AD. WVU didn't sign an agreement they could never pay off.

Its not up to me to provide the exact method of payout, its up to the BOG and AD who extended a coach with a losing record multiple more years to determine how to distribute their income into the necessary payouts.

If Brown has any integrity as his blind followers have claimed over and over, then he would agree to a severely reduced buyout for not doing what he was hired to do.
Looks like Bucky has been copying and pasting others reports. Just like Biden he try's taking credit for something not his own.

The 75 to 100 million is already put into use on upgrades.

No the buy out isn't lump sum. But are you going to pay 2 coaches 3.5 million a year each and their staff?

WVU does not fire coaches mid season. Quit pretending we are Texas money.

Bucky turd.

And he accomplished neither. Amazing.

Neal wants to win. Granted he is a few plays away from this record being a seismic different than what it is now, and let’s not forget, Rich Rod, Bill Stewart and Dana had similar performances. Twix in one year for Rich Rod against Maryland, Bill against Colorado and ECU, Dana against TT, KSu, etc…

Neal just seems like he is dejected
He should be.

Rod had to fix keeping Nehlen around a couple years longer than he should have.
Stew flat out should never have been HC.
Dana picked the worst DC of my lifetime when he came on.

Kneel just can't coach. He's a younger and more polished Bill Stewart.

He should be.

Rod had to fix keeping Nehlen around a couple years longer than he should have.
Stew flat out should never have been HC.
Dana picked the worst DC of my lifetime when he came on.

Kneel just can't coach. He's a younger and more polished Bill Stewart.
So...what was Stew's record again? Hummm...not bad for a guy you say couldn't coach.

So...what was Stew's record again? Hummm...not bad for a guy you say couldn't coach.
It was totally a coast on what was the best team( or almost most so for those who want to argue) in the nation that he inherited in a conference that was falling apart.

It was totally a coast on what was the best team( or almost most so for those who want to argue) in the nation that he inherited in a conference that was falling apart.
Kind of like the Big 12 huh? Can't wait until the current BLM loving buffoon gets kicked out the door. WVUs steep decline started with dumping Stew and bringing in the Texas drunk and the air fraud/candy ass defense. Kneel has taken it deeper down the crap hole.

He's only 4 years in and keeps losing recruits to the portal, shouldn't we give him longer?
Every team loses good players to the portal. Let's not make this a determining factor. You lose players, you gain players.

W's and L's along with overall direction and development of the program are the determining factors.

Kind of like the Big 12 huh? Can't wait until the current BLM loving buffoon gets kicked out the door. WVUs steep decline started with dumping Stew and bringing in the Texas drunk and the air fraud/candy ass defense. Kneel has taken it deeper down the crap hole.
Let's not try to defend Stew. A deep look into the health of the program was telling. Cupboard was very thin when Holgs took over. Then cupboard was bare when Holgs left years later.

Reactions: BombidEER
Let's not try to defend Stew. A deep look into the health of the program was telling. Cupboard was very thin when Holgs took over. Then cupboard was bare when Holgs left years later.
Holgs had a lot talented players when he took over. But as far as depth on the team he had none.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT