ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Ranking Devastating

WRONG!

US News & World report's best college ranking came out. WVU was ranked #183. That is dead last for all P5 colleges. There is no hiding from that kind of ranking. Administration has let the University down. Pathetic!!! Anyone that doesn't understand why WVU did not get into the ACC or Big Ten is in denial. WVU has some work to do academically that's for sure. Better hope and pray expansion is done. One again the Big12 is a National embarrassment. Those rankings are devastating!

Those rankings are not totally accurate and here's why:

Three big factors in determining academic rankings include

1. Freshman acceptance rate
2. Freshman failure rate
3. Freshman GPA/SAT/ACT scores

When looking at those factors, WVU scores low in all three compared to most schools including local schools like Pitt, Penn State, Ohio State, etc. So what's the catch?

Those three aforementioned schools, and a majority of other P5 schools, have branch campuses where at risk students are sent prior to being sent to their main campus. For example, if a student applies to Pitt and is not a top student, he or she is sent to a branch campus (i.e., Pitt Johnstown). The exact same thing for Penn State - if student is 'at risk', then that student is sent to a branch campus for 2 years. The rankings DO NOT include branch campuses - only main campus.

If you look at freshman acceptance rates, freshman GPA's/SAT's/ACT's, and freshman failure rates at so called academically superior universities, you will find them to be almost equivalent to WVU's. My daughter was a top student and qualified for Penn State main. She had a friend that did not get accepted at WVU (out of state) but she did get accepted to Penn State Altoona and later got her degree from Penn State. Exact same story for my neighbors...their boy did not get accepted to WVU (out of state) but did get accepted to Pitt Johnstown.

WVU main campus does not really distinguish between at risk and high quality students so therefore the academic ratings are lower. If a student fails or has low GPA at a Pitt or Penn State (or many other P5 branch campuses), it does not affect the main campus academic standings. Those college main campuses only accept those with high qualifications and a low liklihood of failure.

It's easy to look it up for yourself if you wish. Just make sure you know what you are talking about before you spout off and come across as ignorant of the facts.

WRONG!

2. Freshman failure rate

When looking at those factors, WVU scores low in all three compared to most schools including local schools like Pitt, Penn State, Ohio State, etc. So what's the catch?

Those three aforementioned schools, and a majority of other P5 schools, have branch campuses where at risk students are sent prior to being sent to their main campus. For example, if a student applies to Pitt and is not a top student, he or she is sent to a branch campus (i.e., Pitt Johnstown). The exact same thing for Penn State - if student is 'at risk', then that student is sent to a branch campus for 2 years. The rankings DO NOT include branch campuses - only main campus.

If you look at freshman acceptance rates, freshman GPA's/SAT's/ACT's, and freshman failure rates at so called academically superior universities, you will find them to be almost equivalent to WVU's. My daughter was a top student and qualified for Penn State main. She had a friend that did not get accepted at WVU (out of state) but she did get accepted to Penn State Altoona and later got her degree from Penn State. Exact same story for my neighbors...their boy did not get accepted to WVU (out of state) but did get accepted to Pitt Johnstown.

WVU main campus does not really distinguish between at risk and high quality students so therefore the academic ratings are lower. If a student fails or has low GPA at a Pitt or Penn State (or many other P5 branch campuses), it does not affect the main campus academic standings. Those college main campuses only accept those with high qualifications and a low liklihood of failure.

It's easy to look it up for yourself if you wish. Just make sure you know what you are talking about before you spout off and come across as ignorant of the facts.
John, Greg knows what you posted is true. He is just being true to his troll nature.

There is a lot you don't know spooky as evidenced by your posts.
Well if were talking about the theory of relativity then yes there is allot that I don't know. When were talking about the big 12 conference being the biggest joke in the power 5 or The fact that we haven't beaten a team that finished ranked in the top 25 in almost 3 years then there is allot that you don't know as evidenced by your posts.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
WRONG!

2. Freshman failure rate

Did not read. Because you say so doesn't make it so. Two choices cliffs or Go FY.

Did not read. Because you say so doesn't make it so. Two choices cliffs or Go FY.

You have 2 choices - read what I wrote or continue to look foolish. Furthermore, you can research what I wrote for yourself and see if I am right or if you are FOS. Be warned though, you might not like the undeniable conclusion you will reach.

I really don't know why you post here Greg. All you do is put down WVU. You know the reason WVU is ranked so low academically is not because we are a low quality institution but because of our admission standards. I went to WVU for my undergraduate training and received my dental degree from Georgetown University and I was as well prepared as any of my classmates there. Just stop with your negative posts. I for one am sick of them. By the way the fact that you have your name in all caps only shows how arrogant you are and that trait comes through in your comments. What are you compensating for?

Reactions: still5-0vstarheels
As a Pitt guy I must admit these rankings are misleading. The state of West Virginia is poor and have some of the worst public schools in the nation. Of course the state university will have admissions that reflect this. I find it admirable that WVU takes so many in state students despite lower test scores, grades, etc... I know both Pitt and PSU are ranked much higher than WVU and that ranking is earned..
But here is the issue, Both Pitt and PSU routinely deny in state students for higher tuition rates of international and out of state students.. This raises the reputation of each university which I suppose is great. I have a real problem though with that taking place as semi-state universities in Pa.
I think the way WVU does it is the right way and lets face it a terrific college education can be had at any university.
Well, I hate to give credit to anyone from Pitt, but you nailed it. Unfortunately, the issue you raise is taking place at state supported schools across this country. These universities have turned their backs on the constituents who pay the taxes in search of academic rankings instead of fulfilling their mission of providing higher education to their residents. Over my forty plus years in business, I have managed and/or employed graduates of most of the Ivy League schools, the Big 10, ACC and SEC and never once felt inferior or disadvantaged because I graduated from WVU. As you said, a terrific college education can be had at any university. Success in life is dependent on the individual not the school. So calling these rankings devastating is, IMHO, overly dramatic. Of course, I would like to see the rankings higher but not at the expense of selling out the hope and promise that this university represents to the good people of WV.

Reactions: LUVPOWERFB
Eyebugs on the ground.

farting-p-o.jpg

You have 2 choices - read what I wrote or continue to look foolish. Furthermore, you can research what I wrote for yourself and see if I am right or if you are FOS. Be warned though, you might not like the undeniable conclusion you will reach.

You're an insecure tool! No need to engulf in a project of redemption. WVUs academic reputation is low. That's not me making stuff up my man. I have better things to do than to try redefine what is basic knowledge. WVU is a fine institution but homers like you are unbearable.

WRONG!

2. Freshman failure rate

Just so I understand the cliffs. WVU is a better academic experience when compared to branch campuses at Pitt and Penn State. Super! LOL at your fake news take. I guess you need to take up your insecurities with the ACC and Big Ten officials. Good luck with that presentation if Big12 implodes.

Just so I understand the cliffs. WVU is a better academic experience when compared to branch campuses at Pitt and Penn State. Super! LOL at your fake news take. I guess you need to take up your insecurities with the ACC and Big Ten officials. Good luck with that presentation if Big12 implodes.
You are a troll, plain and simple. For the record, I didn't do well in high school. Low motivation. WVU gave a chance and it led to a degree from WVU and a Masters degree from an acc school. My income is 6 figures and I owe it all to WVU. I was able to more than hold my own with my Masters candidate peers at the acc school thanks to the education I received at WVU. There are countless stories like mine because WVU understands its goal of giving WV kids an opportunity to achieve their goals. A Duke guy I worked with for years(his son was once the youngest person ever to be admitted there) told me...."a person can get every bit as good an education at WVU as they can get at Duke." It's a shame you are so narrow minded as to buy into any silly ranking that rates WVU low. But...then...that's what trolls do.

There are no insecurities in the facts and the facts are this: Pitt and Penn State (and a majority of P5 schools) send at risk students to branch campuses. The students accepted at their main campuses are the 'cream of the crop'. WVU does not practice this and all students are welcome at the main campus. If WVU sent their at risk students to branch campuses, then their academic rating would be much higher. The main campus ratings are what you see reported.

You're failure to acknowledge the facts has exposed you Mr. Jacobs. You come on here under the guise of reasonable discourse only to be exposed when presented with facts that do not compliment your preconceived notions. Where I come from - that's called a fraud. While the ratings are accurate if you look at main campuses only, they are highly misleading until one understands the complete scenario. Can you accept the complete scenario and acknowledge what I present as factual? I have my serious doubts.

I hope you conduct yourself better in your personal life that you do on here. Manipulative, condescending, pugnacious, and elitist is no way to go through life. Blessings to your family.

Out.

If you are truly successful as you claim I'm thinking I make more in the 1st quarter of the year than you do all year. I'm playing the odds on this one. What do you think buddy?

My daddy can beat up your daddy! And he makes more in a week than Spookyboy makes in a year. But, I will pay you hunnardts ole son! Go to work for ToronotEERs and solve your financial problems. Make it quick ole son. Today!

My daddy can beat up your daddy! And he makes more in a week than Spookyboy makes in a year. But, I will pay you hunnardts ole son! Go to work for ToronotEERs and solve your financial problems. Make it quick ole son. Today!

No way your dad takes my dad!!! My dad > your dad

There are no insecurities in the facts and the facts are this: Pitt and Penn State (and a majority of P5 schools) send at risk students to branch campuses. The students accepted at their main campuses are the 'cream of the crop'. WVU does not practice this and all students are welcome at the main campus. If WVU sent their at risk students to branch campuses, then their academic rating would be much higher. The main campus ratings are what you see reported.

You're failure to acknowledge the facts has exposed you Mr. Jacobs. You come on here under the guise of reasonable discourse only to be exposed when presented with facts that do not compliment your preconceived notions. Where I come from - that's called a fraud. While the ratings are accurate if you look at main campuses only, they are highly misleading until one understands the complete scenario. Can you accept the complete scenario and acknowledge what I present as factual? I have my serious doubts.

I hope you conduct yourself better in your personal life that you do on here. Manipulative, condescending, pugnacious, and elitist is no way to go through life. Blessings to your family.

Out.

LOL at your "at risk" narrative haha!!!! Take it up with the ACC and Big Ten insecure one.

You are a troll, plain and simple. For the record, I didn't do well in high school. Low motivation. WVU gave a chance and it led to a degree from WVU and a Masters degree from an acc school. My income is 6 figures and I owe it all to WVU. I was able to more than hold my own with my Masters candidate peers at the acc school thanks to the education I received at WVU. There are countless stories like mine because WVU understands its goal of giving WV kids an opportunity to achieve their goals. A Duke guy I worked with for years(his son was once the youngest person ever to be admitted there) told me...."a person can get every bit as good an education at WVU as they can get at Duke." It's a shame you are so narrow minded as to buy into any silly ranking that rates WVU low. But...then...that's what trolls do.

Super story! You sound like you needed an intervention to get your head out of your ass. If you are being truthful congrats and live the dream. But know this.........I don't care! For the record retard look at my posts. I'm a big fan of WVU and posted multiple times it's not about the ranking academically. It's the perception if the Big12 implodes and WVU athletics gets left behind because of its academic reputation. What's wrong with some of you insecure homers. I never said WVU sucked. I said the rankings are devastating to perception of WVU. And contrary to insecure narratives centered around "at risk" students these ranking or perceptions are harmful in some situations.

Thanks for the laughs.

Here's the amazing thing. It's true! I'm easily in the top 1% of wage earners in the United States. Knowing my situation I'm playing the odds and fairly certain I'm accurate in my post to you haha. Since some started talking six figure crap I figured you would want to know. That's how honest I am. You and your new lover boy may or may not be financially successful. Who knows. Hey I wish everyone has the life they desire.

Reactions: Spookycat2002
Here's the amazing thing. It's true! I'm easily in the top 1% of wage earners in the United States. Knowing my situation I'm playing the odds and fairly certain I'm accurate in my post to you haha. Since some started talking six figure crap I figured you would want to know. That's how honest I am. You and your new lover boy may or may not be financially successful. Who knows. Hey I wish everyone has the life they desire.
Greg you are a no nothing troll. That is all I need to know about you. I assume everyone thing you post about yourself is a lie because that is what trolls do.

Well if were talking about the theory of relativity then yes there is allot that I don't know. When were talking about the big 12 conference being the biggest joke in the power 5 or The fact that we haven't beaten a team that finished ranked in the top 25 in almost 3 years then there is allot that you don't know as evidenced by your posts.

Ouch on Stills5-0s chin from a factual left hook from Spooky. TKO LOL

Reactions: Spookycat2002
LOL at your "at risk" narrative haha!!!! Take it up with the ACC and Big Ten insecure one.

Insecure? I am as secure for WVU's future as I have ever been. There are much more intelligent people than you and I that will decide future affiliations and rest assured, our perceived academic ratings will be addressed. The academic ratings are folly for those that are easily misled and do not take the time to do their own research. Factor in the branch campuses for Pitt and Penn State and see what you get. However, as stated before, you don't have the balls to do it because you are afraid of the answer. I did it and thus I have the facts to back it up. Prove me wrong...

You can try and put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

Reactions: torontoeers
Again I own you with facts homer haha. You literally are my puppet LOL

Now that's priceless! LOL You own someone with your facts! It is a fact that WVU ranked the lowest of P5 schools and I acknowledge that. Do you acknowledge the fact that branch campuses and the games that are played by Pitt, Penn State, and a majority of other P5 schools play a huge factor in academic ratings? Man up and acknowledge that fact if you dare. Pitt's acceptance rate is approximately 30%...but at Pitt Johnstown it's approximately 85% - 90%. Just imagine what Pitt's academic rating would be if all those 'at risk' students went to main campus instead.

You owning anyone with facts is classic! thanks for the laugh (I sincerely did laugh out loud)!

Now that's priceless! LOL You own someone with your facts! It is a fact that WVU ranked the lowest of P5 schools and I acknowledge that. Do you acknowledge the fact that branch campuses and the games that are played by Pitt, Penn State, and a majority of other P5 schools play a huge factor in academic ratings? Man up and acknowledge that fact if you dare. Pitt's acceptance rate is approximately 30%...but at Pitt Johnstown it's approximately 85% - 90%. Just imagine what Pitt's academic rating would be if all those 'at risk' students went to main campus instead.

You owning anyone with facts is classic! thanks for the laugh (I sincerely did laugh out loud)!

What? I don't decide who's first or last. The ACC scoffed at WVU multiple times solely because of academics. The "branch campus" narrative seems to satisfies some of you guys but doesn't mean crap to the ACC or the Big Ten. Listen man the the "owning" crap is just messing with the biggest tool I've ever read on Rivals since I joined in 2002. Still5-0 started the Dick Play last year so I just mess with him. Nothing is that serious man. You seem like a legit poster so I definitely don't want to offend you. Stills and Toronto boy on the other can go get a room together.

And again with the 10 pm casting call....either Taco Bell just did the shift change, or Mommy has gone to bed and you are able to play .....

How's your gig with Stills 5-0 going toto? You guys in love with each other? Or just an online fling?

Insecure? I am as secure for WVU's future as I have ever been. There are much more intelligent people than you and I that will decide future affiliations and rest assured, our perceived academic ratings will be addressed. The academic ratings are folly for those that are easily misled and do not take the time to do their own research. Factor in the branch campuses for Pitt and Penn State and see what you get. However, as stated before, you don't have the balls to do it because you are afraid of the answer. I did it and thus I have the facts to back it up. Prove me wrong...

You can try and put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

Hey is WVU an AAU University? Because I believe Pitt and Penn State are members. I realize that kinda thing means nothing to homers. But when the ACC and Big Ten ignored WVU multiple times things like academic rankings and prestigious memberships like the AAU matter to the ACC and Big ten.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT