ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD West Virginia football at Oklahoma

We've given up 640 yards.

Can we give up 700?

After 5 years of the Brown Stain, should we really have a defense that is this non-competitive against Oklahoma?

Neal just can’t get over .500, every time he has a chance we lose.

Last edited:
That's a fine, well-coached, well-prepared, inspired, enthusiastic and fundamentally sound football team we put on the field tonight. Without all of that, we might have given up 700 yards.

Reactions: jlaudiomaster
We are nowhere near OU's level. So let's beat Cincy and Baylor.
Nope, we clearly aren’t or else that might actually suggest that the program is climbing…since, you know, we beat them last year and they were on a two game skid. If we win one of the two games, that’ll probably be par for the Kneel Brown course. Followed up by a shellacking in the bowl game.

We've given up 640 yards.

Can we give up 700?

After 5 years of the Brown Stain, should we really have a defense that is this non-competitive against Oklahoma?
Have we ever had a defense competitive against Oklahoma since being in Big 12?

Have we ever had a defense competitive against Oklahoma since being in Big 12?
I am always reminded when we play and wonder…how good would Johnny Dingle have been if he had returned one more year after that Fiesta Bowl showing. He is still being held somewhere by that OU line.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Gave up 426 yards to OU last year.

Gave up 313 in 2021.

Gave up almost 650 tonight.
Yards don't mean shit if you don't score more than your opponent. Stats are only the dressing while points are the main course.

We had a chance to make a big move in the B12 with a win. It was a big one that meant something, except the way Neal carries himself you'd never know it. Competing for the B12 title isnt something that gets Brown excited about it seems. I honestly dont think he cares.

Each time bean almost convinces me that we're turning the corner, we get our asses beat. Fools gold. I cant do this anymore. At least Dana was exciting and threw fun parties. I know from experience.... :)

Reactions: deedoubleyou
We had a chance to make a big move in the B12 with a win. It was a big one that meant something, except the way Neal carries himself you'd never know it. Competing for the B12 title isnt something that gets Brown excited about it seems. I honestly dont think he cares.
I wasnt expecting a win, but at least something close. I would've been good with a 34-24 loss. This was typical bean.

I wasnt expecting a win, but at least something close. I would've been good with a 34-24 loss. This was typical bean.
Expecting? No, not at all. However, a win against this OU team, on a two game skid, in this moment, would have shown that hey, maybe just maybe Brown can actually do something for WVU. Alas, it is what it is. The countdown continues.

He gets excited about pissing the "fan" base off.

I am always reminded when we play and wonder…how good would Johnny Dingle have been if he had returned one more year after that Fiesta Bowl showing. He is still being held somewhere by that OU line.
I remember Dingle from several years back. He and Berry played together. Quite a sight when they sat together on the bench.

I honestly can't say I am surprised. Prior to the BYU game, I would have said the outcome of this game would be exactly as bad as this 59-20 score would indicate. After the BYU game I figured that was still the most likely outcome, but now with a glimmer of hope we might make them sweat for it. OU being at home and coming off of 2 losses certainly didn't help WVU. Still no reason we can't win the next 2 and it's be a complete fvck up drop both. But ultimately all that matters is if we are getting guys experience and bringing them up to be better next year. 7-9 win seasons are not that interesting unless they are building the occasional 10-13 win season.

Reactions: jlaudiomaster
I honestly can't say I am surprised. Prior to the BYU game, I would have said the outcome of this game would be exactly as bad as this 59-20 score would indicate. After the BYU game I figured that was still the most likely outcome, but now with a glimmer of hope we might make them sweat for it. OU being at home and coming off of 2 losses certainly didn't help WVU. Still no reason we can't win the next 2 and it's be a complete fvck up drop both. But ultimately all that matters is if we are getting guys experience and bringing them up to be better next year. 7-9 win seasons are not that interesting unless they are building the occasional 10-13 win season.
We currently have no wins against P5 teams above .500 on the season. Good news is the two remaining teams are well below .500 but the bad news is Cincinnati just beat Houston. Neither of these games are gimmes.

We currently have no wins against P5 teams above .500 on the season. Good news is the two remaining teams are well below .500 but the bad news is Cincinnati just beat Houston. Neither of these games are gimmes.
No games are gimmies for WVU. But these 2 are very winnable. Barring a big injury, WVU should win both. Splitting is the bare minimum.

Neal is back at 7-5. If we lose our next two, then maybe not. But I think he will be back one more year. However, I think you will see an entirely different defensive staff.
I tend to agree as well, but if Jimbo is available and interested in coming to WVU, it would be a huge mistake to retain Brown. Even if we win out.

I tend to agree as well, but if Jimbo is available and interested in coming to WVU, it would be a huge mistake to retain Brown. Even if we win out.
I somewhat understand the attraction to Jimbo by WVU fans. But truthfully, what has he done? I know, he won a national title, but that was 2013.

His last year at FSU he was 5-6..........then his time at A&M he's not been great, average about 8 wins per season.

I guess what I'm asking is, what has he done to deserve 1) a HUGE contract by WVU and 2) a HUGE buyout that would come with a contract?

I somewhat understand the attraction to Jimbo by WVU fans. But truthfully, what has he done? I know, he won a national title, but that was 2013.

His last year at FSU he was 5-6..........then his time at A&M he's not been great, average about 8 wins per season.

I guess what I'm asking is, what has he done to deserve 1) a HUGE contract by WVU and 2) a HUGE buyout that would come with a contract?
I certainly wouldn’t offer him a huge contract. If he can average 8 wins in a lesser conference (B12), then he would do quite well at WVU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT