ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD West Virginia basketball: Big 12 Tournament vs. Kansas

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
No. 8 West Virginia will take on No. 1 Kansas at 3 p.m. Thursday and will be televised on ESPN2.

Bill Self not coaching today. That’s two in a row. Teams we’ve faced with an absent head coach.

Alright guys, just start making shots, stop turning the ball over, and get some calls to go your way. We got this.

Game doesnt matter....players playing like it doesnt matter....even if we win...we move up..what...maybe one seed?

Meaningless.

Game doesnt matter....players playing like it doesnt matter....even if we win...we move up..what...maybe one seed?

Meaningless.
I don’t buy that. The opportunity to win the conference tournament title, especially this year, means more than to just not try. In fact personally, I’d rather win the conference tournament title than be eliminated in the Sweet 16

Meaningless.

I don’t buy that we have a bunch of guys trying to make their final impression to pro leagues and are playing hard, KU is simply a machine and we are just a run of the mill tournament team.

I don’t buy that. The opportunity to win the conference tournament title, especially this year, means more than to just not try. In fact personally, I’d rather win the conference tournament title than be eliminated in the Sweet 16
You dont have to buy it...look at the effort, its not there. Sure they played last night if you want to use that as an excuse.

How many times today did we not get back on defense?

Almost beat them at their place now going to lose by 20....no effort today.

Reactions: jlaudiomaster
Ok let’s get ready for the big tournament!! I would’ve loved to beat Kansas but doesn’t look like it’s gonna happen.

Reactions: WVUFanForever
Pathetic effort....embarrassing....what a waste of a two hours...should have just given Kansas a bye.

Pathetic effort....embarrassing....what a waste of a two hours...should have just given Kansas a bye.
Did you expect a win? You are sadly mistaken.

18 hours between games and playing against the #1 overall seed.

Did you expect a win? You are sadly mistaken.

18 hours between games and playing against the #1 overall seed.

Definitely didn't expect it, but if that dysfunctional 2018-2019 team could do it as a 10 seed, this team had a chance.

But short of winning the whole Big 12 tournament, I don't think our seeding is helped much at all. I also think that being a 7-10 seed is all about the same and being an 11 or 12 seed is arguably just as good given in the latter scenario you have 2 relatively manageable upsets to get to the Sweet 16 and the former you have an even odds game and a relative long shot upset to get to the Sweet 16. And since no one cares or hangs banners for the round of 32, the Sweet 16 is the minimum goal.

So I'd say 7-12 seeding is not all that different and if a 6 seed or higher is not attainable, then just getting in is all about even.

Definitely didn't expect it, but if that dysfunctional 2018-2019 team could do it as a 10 seed, this team had a chance.

But short of winning the whole Big 12 tournament, I don't think our seeding is helped much at all. I also think that being a 7-10 seed is all about the same and being an 11 or 12 seed is arguably just as good given in the latter scenario you have 2 relatively manageable upsets to get to the Sweet 16 and the former you have an even odds game and a relative long shot upset to get to the Sweet 16. And since no one cares or hangs banners for the round of 32, the Sweet 16 is the minimum goal.

So I'd say 7-12 seeding is not all that different and if a 6 seed or higher is not attainable, then just getting in is all about even.
We will be a 9 seed and play a 1 seed in second round if we can actually win the 1st game. This team is good only if Erik is hot and WVU makes it to the foul line.

We will be a 9 seed and play a 1 seed in second round if we can actually win the 1st game. This team is good only if Erik is hot and WVU makes it to the foul line.

The analytics love us, according to KenPom we should be a 4 or 5 and a favorite against whatever team we are likely to face in round 1. It wouldn’t be that crazy for us to beat a team like Bama and all the crap they’ve been dealing with off the court. I would think Brandon Miller just wants this season to be over and we would happily oblige.

That seems about right. Which is why an 11 or 12 seed with games against a 6/5 followed by a 3/4 or an outside chance for a 14/13 if you're lucky seems a more manageable Sweet 16 path than a more winnable first game, but near guaranteed 1/2 seed if you are a 7-10.

If you are not a Final Four potential team which this one is not on it's own merits. Meaning it would take a fluke like a few years back when I believe Loyola Chicago made the Final Four as an 11, but the highest seed in the Sweet 16 for that region was Kentucky as a 5. In any case, if your team is not a significant threat to go to the FF, then the program's more reachable goal is for a Sweet 16 appearance to use as promotion and perhaps recruiting fodder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT