ADVERTISEMENT

Please stop it with the "no good coaches out there after Jan 2" crap

WVUDisciples

All-Conference
Dec 28, 2002
There are at least 20 good head coaches and twice the number of solid coordinators at top 20 programs who would love the head coaching job at WVU. Some of you guys act like if we cannot get Jimbo Fisher, we are stuck with Dana. (As if Dana is just one notch below Nick Saban.) Horse$@#%.

First of all, nearly any coordinator in D1 would jump at the chance to be a head coach at ANY Power 5 conference team. That's their immediate goal - to be a head coach at a power 5 conference. Throw in the possibility of being the head coach at a school that has the 14th most wins in the history of the NCAA, also in the Big 12 and boom - you've got a step up for every coach in D1 who's not at least a HC or coordinator at a top 10 program like Michigan or USC. Why do you think Kentucky has 50 HC applicants for a job in the SEC? You don't think there are good head coaches in the mid-majors? If some of you were Florida fans you would have turned down Urban Meyer after he won 10 games at Utah.

You don't think Butch Jones would come here in a second? How about Tom Hermon at Houston? The dude's literally a genius. Somebody is going to get him this year. Ruhle at Temple? Either of these two young guys would be an upgrade over what we have and would probably keep half our staff. They could at least get us back to 8-4/9-3 on a regular basis. And frankly, I'd be happy with that. Once every 5 or 10 years we have a shot at Big XII title? Great. The thing is, any reasonable CFB fan could name 10 head coaches that would be an upgrade as HEAD COACHES over what we have now. Some of you are so enamored with Dana's passing numbers, you cannot see that Dana is a proven coordinator but it's obvious he needs a head coach who will say, "No, I'm not calling a QB keeper on a 4th and two when our guy is hurt," OR "No, Joe Deforest, we are NOT kicking to that guy any more!"

Butch Jones wouldn't come to WVU, that's ridiculous. Nor would Tom Herman, the man is clearly holding out for a better job.

If WVU has to get a new coach it's going to be a coordinator or a position coach like the last 3 head coaches we've hired. At this point we may as well keep him around for another season until it's not going to bankrupt us to fire him.

Butch Jones wouldn't come to WVU, that's ridiculous. Nor would Tom Herman, the man is clearly holding out for a better job.

If WVU has to get a new coach it's going to be a coordinator or a position coach like the last 3 head coaches we've hired. At this point we may as well keep him around for another season until it's not going to bankrupt us to fire him.
I think WVU could get a proven HC.

I heard him say on XM Radio he would have been interested in the South Carolina job but no one ever contacted him about it. He then indicated that jobs like the one at VaTech or any ACC, Big XII, SEC school would be interesting to him. He did not mention Big 10 but I'm sure he was just making a general statement.

I say that to say, the VaTech and South Carolina jobs are not better than WVU. If he'd be interested in VaTech, he'd be interested in us.

Proven where? on the FCS level or in the Sun Belt? sure.

But WVU is not going to be poaching any P5 head coaches, that is for damn certain.
I don't believe WVU is at the bottom of the P-5 picking order.

Do we want a P5 coach from the bottom of the pecking order. I'd sure hope Lyons isn't trying to poach the coaches from Purdue or Kansas.
I'd just like note that WVU's AD revenue is greater than 29 other P-5 programs.

"You don't think Butch Jones would come here in a second?"

In fact, I know he wouldn't. He and his staff like where they are...

the question isn't if we could get a top coach. the question should be can we keep a top level coach.

once a coach has success here, will he want to stay at wvu if a ga tech or a ole miss comes available?

Not that I would want Butch Jones anyway, but the chances of him giving us the time of day are zero. Maybe if UT shitcans him and we need a coach he'd be interested but right now im sure he's content.

There are at least 20 good head coaches and twice the number of solid coordinators at top 20 programs who would love the head coaching job at WVU. Some of you guys act like if we cannot get Jimbo Fisher, we are stuck with Dana. (As if Dana is just one notch below Nick Saban.) Horse$@#%.

First of all, nearly any coordinator in D1 would jump at the chance to be a head coach at ANY Power 5 conference team. That's their immediate goal - to be a head coach at a power 5 conference. Throw in the possibility of being the head coach at a school that has the 14th most wins in the history of the NCAA, also in the Big 12 and boom - you've got a step up for every coach in D1 who's not at least a HC or coordinator at a top 10 program like Michigan or USC. Why do you think Kentucky has 50 HC applicants for a job in the SEC? You don't think there are good head coaches in the mid-majors? If some of you were Florida fans you would have turned down Urban Meyer after he won 10 games at Utah.

You don't think Butch Jones would come here in a second? How about Tom Hermon at Houston? The dude's literally a genius. Somebody is going to get him this year. Ruhle at Temple? Either of these two young guys would be an upgrade over what we have and would probably keep half our staff. They could at least get us back to 8-4/9-3 on a regular basis. And frankly, I'd be happy with that. Once every 5 or 10 years we have a shot at Big XII title? Great. The thing is, any reasonable CFB fan could name 10 head coaches that would be an upgrade as HEAD COACHES over what we have now. Some of you are so enamored with Dana's passing numbers, you cannot see that Dana is a proven coordinator but it's obvious he needs a head coach who will say, "No, I'm not calling a QB keeper on a 4th and two when our guy is hurt," OR "No, Joe Deforest, we are NOT kicking to that guy any more!"
I like the guy at Temple

We could get Houston's head coach, Temple's head coach, just about any HC at a non-power 5 school. I agree with you it would be difficult to get a successful HC from a P5 school, mainly because all the successful ones are in a better spot than what we're in right now. (Which makes the point all the more why Vingle argues we need to make a change right now, we are not nearly as attractive program as what we were in 2011.

I meant Butch Davis, sorry. Yeah, Butch Jones is in a very good spot right now. Will have a top 10 team next year. We picked the wrong guy. Should have picked him instead of Dana.

I always wonder who the trolls & low information fans are trying to persuade. You could post the same thing for an entire year and not change the mind of a single person on our idiot board. It is not like you are trying to get someone to take you to Disneyland by pestering them 24/7.

Do you really think that Lyons and Gee want to take a chance of turning WVU into another Kansas with a merry-go-round of new head coaches. Holgorsen is building a good program and I think he is WVU's best hope for winning the Big 12 in the near future. I have yet to hear the name of someone who will come here and is any better or more accomplished.

Last edited:
I always wonder who the trolls & low information fans are trying to persuade. You could post the same thing for entire year and not change the mind of a single person on our idiot board. It is not like you are trying to get someone to take you to Disneyland by pestering them 24/7.

Do you really think that Lyons and Gee want to take a chance of turning WVU into another Kansas with a merry-go-round of new head coaches. Holgorsen is building a good program and I think he is WVU's best hope for winning the Big 12 in the near future. I have yet to hear the name of someone who will come here and is any better or more accomplished.

The Non trolls and high information posters would like to tell you that you continually post the same thing time and time again and you have failed to change anyone's mind. Advice to you try using one of your other handles

Get the guy you want. Wait if necessary.

I meant Butch Davis, sorry. Yeah, Butch Jones is in a very good spot right now. Will have a top 10 team next year. We picked the wrong guy. Should have picked him instead of Dana.

Easy to say now. Back when we were blowing out Clemson we had the right guy.

We could get Houston's head coach, Temple's head coach, just about any HC at a non-power 5 school. I agree with you it would be difficult to get a successful HC from a P5 school, mainly because all the successful ones are in a better spot than what we're in right now. (Which makes the point all the more why Vingle argues we need to make a change right now, we are not nearly as attractive program as what we were in 2011.

LOL - Get a grip. You really think WVU is a less attractive job now compared to being faced with an AAC future?

Some folks just can't handle being fans.

Be thankful that we have Dana and not a fruitcake like Wil Muschamp. Wil is dressed in adult clothing but behaves like a child. He probably threw temper tantrums to get his way as a child and never had to grow up. WV is A OK with Dana.

I like how we can't fire a coach during the season, because it will affect recruiting, we can't fire a coach after the regular season, because there are no good coaches left, and can't fire a coach after the bowl game, because it will affect recruiting. When are you supposed to fire a bad coach?

Oh, that's right. You should give a bad coach an extension, or else other coaches will use it against us in recruiting...

Darth, check your math, we were Invited to Big 12 in 2011. Knowing that, if we hadn't jumper the gun with hiring Dana, we would have had a much better pool to fish from in 2011.

LOL - Get a grip. You really think WVU is a less attractive job now compared to being faced with an AAC future?

Some folks just can't handle being fans.

the question isn't if we could get a top coach. the question should be can we keep a top level coach.

once a coach has success here, will he want to stay at wvu if a ga tech or a ole miss comes available?

Absolutely not. WVU is not and never will be a destination job. Some many on here think we can get whomever we want. Won't ever happen.

Absolutely not. WVU is not and never will be a destination job. Some many on here think we can get whomever we want. Won't ever happen.
I don't want Doc Holliday, but Marshall is paying about $2.5 million less, per year, for a slightly worse coach. We may never have a Saban or Meyer, but for $3 million a year, we can do a lot better than Dana...

th

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT