ADVERTISEMENT

🔥🔥BREAKING🔥🔥 Larry Harrison is out as an assistant

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – The West Virginia University Department of Intercollegiate Athletics has parted ways with men's basketball associate head coach Larry Harrison.

Harrison has spent the last 16 seasons on the Mountaineer basketball staff, including the last 13 as associate head coach. He was in his 24th season overall on Huggins' coaching staff after spending eight seasons with him at Cincinnati.

Since 1989, Harrison was a part of 16 bids to the NCAA Tournament and three NIT bids. During Harrison's tenure, Cincinnati advanced to the Final Four once (1992) and Elite Eight twice (1993, 1996). West Virginia won the 2010 Big East Championship and advanced to 10 NCAA Tournaments, including the 2010 Final Four and five NCAA Sweet 16s.

"I want to thank Larry for his years of service to Mountaineer basketball, and I wish him well in his future endeavors," head coach Bob Huggins said.

A search for Harrison's replacement will begin immediately.

Damn. That must have been one Hell of a post-game coaches meeting. Would love to know the details of that.

Damn. That must have been one Hell of a post-game coaches meeting. Would love to know the details of that.
Maybe Wren does have balls. If it was Wren then has he told Huggins to retire?

That would be some brass balls.

Maybe Wren does have balls. If it was Wren then has he told Huggins to retire?

That would be some brass balls.
I doubt it. I've noticed the past two games, Huggs has not been sitting on his stool as much during games. Been walking up and down the sideline, has a note sheet in his hands, more hands on with substitutions, etc.

I'm going to say: Huggs made this decision because something has gone on and finger pointing behind the scenes. I've been involved in coaches meetings, and during rocky times, and that's when the sh!t really hits the fan.

I doubt it. I've noticed the past two games, Huggs has not been sitting on his stool as much during games. Been walking up and down the sideline, has a note sheet in his hands, more hands on with substitutions, etc.

I'm going to say: Huggs made this decision because something has gone on and finger pointing behind the scenes. I've been involved in coaches meetings, and during rocky times, and that's when the sh!t really hits the fan.
Yup just heard the same. This may not be the last one either. Finally.

Hearing that Huggs said HE didn't fire Harrison, that it was done above him. So guessing the new AD.
I'm sure Huggins took the information to Wren as part of the evaluation. Wren might just be putting the screws to Huggins forcing him to can some poor assistants. Might be telling him you got 1 year if you fire these guys.

I'm sure Huggins took the information to Wren as part of the evaluation. Wren might just be putting the screws to Huggins forcing him to can some poor assistants. Might be telling him you got 1 year if you fire these guys.
I don't see Huggs as the type of guy that would take any ultimatum at this point in his career. Maybe there was a conversation between Huggs and Baker about the future. I cannot believe that the new AD would make this decision without talking to Huggins first.

Reactions: Steak Sub and JWG66
I don't see Huggs as the type of guy that would take any ultimatum at this point in his career. Maybe there was a conversation between Huggs and Baker about the future. I cannot believe that the new AD would make this decision without talking to Huggins first.
I'm sure something happened to get fired in middle of the season. Possibility of a player complaint about Harrison. It's rare to get fired mid season as an assistant.

Reactions: Steak Sub
77afak.jpg

I'm sure something happened to get fired in middle of the season. Possibility of a player complaint about Harrison. It's rare to get fired mid season as an assistant.
Physical or verbal abuse of a player would do it. Anything else is handled after the season.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Verbal abuse or just flat out incompetence. Maybe both. We are better off without Harrison. Peace out dude and good riddance

The deals for associate head coach Larry Harrison, assistant Ron Everhart and assistant Erik Martin each run from July 1, 2021, to 11:59 p.m. June 30, 2023, and each include annual performance incentives.

Harrison annual base salary of $302,357.

Everhart has an annual base salary of $260,000.

Martin, who played for Huggins at Cincinnati, will make an annual base salary of $212,180 .

With contracts ending will there be a new assistant staff next year.

Harrison- gone
Everhart- retiring
Martin possibly gets to stay.
Ruoff probably added as assistant instead of GA.

Sorry Bucky. Huggins still the head coach.

WVU web site.

Last edited:
Oh my, I hope it wasn't one of those woke jobs like football.

Wren Baker…. I still can’t help but laugh. Huge possibility a football program is in the cellar in the big 12 for the next 5 to 6 years, no one showing up at games, Hall of Fame coach struggling heavily the past couple years and this year is a dumpster fire, but we got Wren Baker.

Reactions: Steak Sub
Wren Baker…. I still can’t help but laugh. Huge possibility a football program is in the cellar in the big 12 for the next 5 to 6 years, no one showing up at games, Hall of Fame coach struggling heavily the past couple years and this year is a dumpster fire, but we got Wren Baker.
Has not been here a month yet.

The deals for associate head coach Larry Harrison, assistant Ron Everhart and assistant Erik Martin each run from July 1, 2021, to 11:59 p.m. June 30, 2023, and each include annual performance incentives.

Martin, who played for Huggins at Cincinnati, will make an annual base salary of $212,180 .

Harrison- gone
Everhart- retiring

Do you think Patrick Beilein gets a look?

Ron Everhart is next
These changes have been long over due. Huggs has needed a youth movement on his staff for a long time. I’m glad it’s finally happening.

Also kudos to Baker if he had the oversized scrotum sack to force these changes.

Do you think Patrick Beilein gets a look?
Depends on what happened at Niagra and why he stepped down. But he is currently Head Coach with the Syracuse Stallions. Would he leave a HC job to become an assistant if not being named HC in waiting?

Reactions: Motormaster
Depends on what happened at Niagra and why he stepped down. But he is currently Head Coach with the Syracuse Stallions. Would he leave a HC job to become an assistant if not being named HC in waiting?
I think he would have potential to be a really good head coach for WVU if he took the opportunity to learn from Huggs a couple of years.

Hell you couldn’t ask for two better teachers than Huggs and Patrick’s dad. A chance to learn from the best defensive head coach and the best offensive head coach in the game is a match made in heaven.

I think he would have potential to be a really good head coach for WVU if he took the opportunity to learn from Huggs a couple of years.

Hell you couldn’t ask for two better teachers than Huggs and Patrick’s dad. A chance to learn from the best defensive head coach and the best offensive head coach in the game is a match made in heaven.
Would Alex Ruoff stay and be his assistant? Would WVU instead go after Nichols for head coaching job?

He doesn't need a couple of years of tutelage under Huggins. What's he gonna learn? How to sit on a stool and sulk when the game isn't going his way? Or how to petutantly shrug his shoulders at his players? Or how to best insult the refs so that WVU NEVER gets the benefit of the doubt when it comes to officiating?

Mazzulla taught Huggins the 1-3-1 and he had to get the Cleveland St coach to teach him how use to use Carter and Miles effectively.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL

Harrison- gone
Everhart- retiring

Martin left to be head coach at SC State.

Harrison- gone
Everhart- retiring

Martin? Umm….he already left for head coach position at SC State.

ADVERTISEMENT