ADVERTISEMENT

Pens Season opener and Oct!

Geez Ron...we really got something happening here...these farmhands have proven they can play, the team looks twice as fast to last year...this problem has turned to dealing a guy or 2 from position of strength as opposed to weakness. In my mind that's the biggest thing on this little run...

Yea reminds me of our first of back to back a few years back. The youngsters have brought speed and enthusiasm and I think it’s rubbed of on the old vets. It’s going to be interesting to see who sticks when we start getting some of injured guys back. I’m just enjoying watching again! Let’s Go Pens!

It’s going to be interesting to see who sticks when we start getting some of injured guys back. I’m just enjoying watching again! Let’s Go Pens!

Been thinking about just that.......just one uninformed opinion, but I personally think the ONLY one likely to hang around is Lafferty (who, if you noticed, has actually gotten time with Sid and Jake on the top line). To my eyes, Lafferty has raw talent comparable to current roster guys like ZAR and Simon.

I truthfully don't see that Blandisi and Johnson deliver a whole lot more than sheer skating ability and hustle as lineup plug-ins.

Reactions: torontoeers
Been thinking about just that.......just one uninformed opinion, but I personally think the ONLY one likely to hang around is Lafferty (who, if you noticed, has actually gotten time with Sid and Jake on the top line). To my eyes, Lafferty has raw talent comparable to current roster guys like ZAR and Simon.

I truthfully don't see that Blandisi and Johnson deliver a whole lot more than sheer skating ability and hustle as lineup plug-ins.

I like blender on faceoffs but other than that I agree.

Really, not a bad effort at all in the 1st considering the forces they're working against.....a few REALLY nice chances, and I thought they did a borderline excellent job keeping Jarry clean.

Reactions: Irwineer2
ZAR definitely skated into MAF, but I thought Fleury sold the hell out of the hit......

Not seeing much from Sid, (even less from) Jake, and Horndog thus far.....need those guys see to get engage .

Last night's game seemed to catch up with them in the 2nd......and no question MAF knocked off his own mask in that scrum to stop play (though it probably WAS coming off). Regardless, Guins are lucky to only be down 1-0......but they don't look like they can sustain enough offense pressure tonight to beat Fleury (who looks exceptionally solid thus far).

First time in a LONG time that I can actually remember feeling bad for a Penguins team after the game.

Thought they busted their collective asses against a much better opponent......especially without much support from the Crosby line......and probably deserved a better outcome. And it STILL took Fleury's (who bent all the rules like an old pro should) best game of the season thus far to beat them

Just hoping they can keep this same kind of effort going in Florida.

Looks like last night might have been the indicator they simply HAVE to add another forward. PHN is throwing around prospect names like Sammy Poulin and Nathan Lagare (and a couple rank and file guys from WB/S like Agozzino or Stefan Noessen)..... and as a cheap/short-term acquisition candidate, a washed-up Jason Pominville.

And of course, Josh Ho-Sang is still sitting out there.....though nobody seems to know exactly what the current story is with him.

Looks like last night might have been the indicator they simply HAVE to add another forward. PHN is throwing around prospect names like Sammy Poulin and Nathan Lagare (and a couple rank and file guys from WB/S like Agozzino or Stefan Noessen)..... and as a cheap/short-term acquisition candidate, a washed-up Jason Pominville.

And of course, Josh Ho-Sang is still sitting out there.....though nobody seems to know exactly what the current story is with him.
Pominville no thanks...Ho-Sang intrigues me....

anyone heard a timetable for some of these injured players? I heard malkin skated and what is mccann's situation?

Nope...but I did hear McCann was not as serious as originally thought just aggravated something? Haven't heard a thing on Rusty for awhile now...

News on the long-term injured players seems in very short supply.......

From what little I've read, the closest one to returning is Tricky Nicky, and he's still supposedly a couple weeks away. The Galchenyuk situation has become a friggin' soap opera with this recent report of him dealing (or not) with a spider bite in addition to his LBI.....and Rusty contnues with the hand injury, on which I guess it's considered very hard to establish a true estimate on his return.

Then there's ol' Geno, who continues to deal (reportedly) with the calf injury....which I've read is not considered especially serious from a sheer medical standpoint, but is something that can be easily aggravated. In other words, it sounds as though he's on the sidelines until it quits hurting. FWIW, I myself have never been convinced his problem is calf-related; but hey, what the hell do I know.

For now, Dumo and McCann's injuries seem less serious......more day-to-day in nature......but who knows what Sully will tell reporters about them at his daily PC later this morning. I sure hope both will be traveling to Florida.

Well, here's the latest as of Pens practice earlier this morning per PHN/DK
  • Tricky Nicky, Rusty, McCann, and Trotman all "full practiced" this morning
  • Rusty wil travel this week but won't play at FLA and TBL......but is hopeful for Dallas on SAT (the earliest he can rejoin the lineup due to his LTIR status)
  • TN was said to be ahead of schedule and will also travel this week, but it doesn't sound like anyone is predicting his early return (he can come back anytime). My guess is he just wants personally to go back to Sunrise.
  • McCann didn't talk to the Press, so no word when he'll play again
  • Dumo is definitely out at FLA and TBL
  • Geno and Galchenyuk both skated with the Skills coach (whoever that is) but neither sounds close to returning to the lineup
  • DK thinks the first call-up to return to WB/S will likely be Blandisi

Just saw that Dumoulin was placed on IR last night retroactive to last Friday.....which means he has to sit out a minimum of 7 days (and therefore can't return before Saturday's game in Dallas).

For the Panthers tonight, DK reporting Vinnie Trocheck is questionable after blocking a shot in their last game Saturday night (and he didn't skate this morning)......while Alexander Barkov supposedly is ready to play after continuing to deal with a UBI.

Pominville no thanks...Ho-Sang intrigues me....

If you didn't know the story with Ho-Sang.......and I didn't.....here's what I read today (from NYI-Fansided):

It’s been nearly three weeks since Josh Ho-Sang asked the New York Islanders to trade him. What exactly is the plan here?
Just before the NHL season started on October 2nd, the New York Islanders trimmed down their roster to 23 men by re-assigning Joshua Ho-Sang, Thomas Hickey and Tanner Fritz to the AHL. That’s when Josh Ho-Sang asked the team to trade him.

As Lou Lamoriello worked the phones to try and trade the former first-round pick, he asked that Josh Ho-Sang not report to Bridgeport “for a few days”. That was almost three weeks ago now. What’s the plan here exactly?

It’s clear that a trade is in the best interest of both parties. Josh Ho-Sang needs a new start in a new environment, and the New York Islanders need an asset that they can use.

But it’s been three weeks and there hasn’t been a trade nor has Ho-Sang reported to Bridgeport yet. If this divorce is so mutually beneficial, why hasn’t it happened yet?

It’s fair to say that Josh Ho-Sang’s trade value wasn’t particularly high before his demotion to the AHL. The controversial winger has had a complicated and dramatic history with the Islanders ever since they drafted him 28th overall in 2014.

But sitting at home not playing hockey isn’t going to make this situation any better. Whatever value Josh Ho-Sang had before the trade request, it has almost certainly vanished since.

Both sides are missing out right now. For Josh Ho-Sang it’s seeing a very real opportunity to play in the NHL go to Oliver Wahlstrom. For the New York Islanders, it’s having a first-round pick from five years ago doing absolutely nothing.

Both sides need to come together and formulate a plan on how to rectify this situation. At this point, both sides are playing a game of chicken by using the only leverage they have over the other. For Ho-Sang, it’s the trade request. For the Islanders, it’s making him sit.

Neither approach is working.

Ideally, they both agree that revoking the trade request is the first step. It’s the only way to go forward. Revoking the request will allow the Islanders to let Ho-Sang return to the Sound Tigers and save face.

Once on the ice, Ho-Sang can continue to produce at the AHL and increase his trade value to the point where a trade can actually be made.

Just because a trade request was made doesn’t mean that all value is lost. Jonathan Drouin still got traded from the Tampa Bay Lightning after he withdrew his trade request. Once Drouin was playing at the AHL level, teams could see his value.

The same can be said for Jesse Puljujarvi. The former fourth overall pick from 2016 has asked that the Edmonton Oilers trade him. He’s currently in Finland playing for Karpat. In 13 games he has 13 points. Playing and producing is the only way to get the interest of another NHL team.

What’s important for Josh Ho-Sang, and the New York Islanders, is that Ho-Sang gets back on the ice. It’s the only way this divorce can happen. But before that can take place, both sides have to come to their senses and formulate a strategy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT