ADVERTISEMENT

Pens /Rangers....

torontoeers

All-American
Nov 20, 2010
Port Perry Ontario
Lets get this party started and take game 1!!! :boxing:
imgres

CM....What is the feel in the Motor City today? Any playoff fever or do they know/think the writing's on the wall eventually? IMO they could not get a better draw than the banged up Bolts ....after backing their way into the post season....

Still in Cleveland this morning.....and as a matter of fact, I need to get my arse moving :flushed:.....headed to Detroit later today. Probably won't get much info on the Wings regardless, as I'll stay personally focused toward NHLN Radio on XM (rather than local sportstalk in Detroit).

BTW, nothing this morning has me believing Flower will be ready to play tonight; and it frankly won't surprise me at all if the earliest we might possibly see him is Game 3 in NY. On the plus side, it sounds as though Maatta (probably more so) and Geno are getting closer to returning to the lineup.

Still in Cleveland this morning.....and as a matter of fact, I need to get my arse moving :flushed:.....headed to Detroit later today. Probably won't get much info on the Wings regardless, as I'll stay personally focused toward NHLN Radio on XM (rather than local sportstalk in Detroit).

BTW, nothing this morning has me believing Flower will be ready to play tonight; and it frankly won't surprise me at all if the earliest we might possibly see him is Game 3 in NY. On the plus side, it sounds as though Maatta (probably more so) and Geno are getting closer to returning to the lineup.
In listening to Hockey Central at noon on my local radio they dont seem to confident we'll see Fleury tonight either. ....and MacLean made 2 good points. 'If ya think a competitive coach like Vigneault isn't telling his guys to lighten up on their skates in front of whomever is in the Pittsburgh goal, you're mistaken. This is the playoffs and all bets are off' Yikes! If that isnt a scary thought (losing another netminder or a returned Fleury) then I don't know what is!

On a happier note ole Dougie has picked the good guys for the series in 6 and feels they will also beat the Craps....Atta boy Mr. MacLean!!! I like MacLeans candor and how he tells the idiot Kypper where to go on an almost daily basis...also doesn't hurt he's a salt of the earth Maritime boy from PEI...I like those friendly East Coasters LOL!...

Safe Travels....but still get yer arse in gear...there's a big game to watch lol....

'Pull up your lazy boy and crack a beer! It's playoff time!!!!'.....my message to my Leaf buddies....funny enough....their is no retort?!? Oh the humanity....LMAO.

LET'S GO PENS!!!!!

You play the game with those who are dressed; Pens need to keep their slot clear, and hopefully get on the board first. I still think they can outscore the NYR, no matter who's in their goal.

I love the tic-tac-toes from Bonino to Hagelin to Kessel, but I'll take a dirty one from Horny with less than a minute left in a period where the Pens were largely outplayed. Fortunately, NYR can't blame King Henrik's eye on the goal.

And, you can't ask anymore from Zatkoff thus far.

Zatkoff looking solid...I am wanting to see MORE of Horny PARKED in front of Lundqvist...all night!

NYR are playing Rangers hockey; when the Pens have the puck, drop everyone back to the blue line and force the opposition to run the gauntlet.....and the Pens really haven't done very well at that game (and usually don't). Makes the Hornqvist goal all the more satisfying......and important.....and it's equally damaging to the Rangers cause.

Second period coming up; usually the Pens best........

I love the tic-tac-toes from Bonino to Hagelin to Kessel, but I'll take a dirty one from Horny with less than a minute left in a period where the Pens were largely outplayed. Fortunately, NYR can't blame King Henrik's eye on the goal.

And, you can't ask anymore from Zatkoff thus far.
Indeed...Horny was comin in hot to the net...Henrik got the first shot and not the second.
And I was honestly hoping all was good with Lundqvist...that was scary for a second...also I want the Pens to beat their best!

Indeed...Horny was comin in hot to the net...Henrik got the first shot and not the second.
And I was honestly hoping all was good with Lundqvist...that was scary for a second...also I want the Pens to beat their best!

Given the way he reacted to the play.....I mean, you never see an NHL goaltender thrash around like that after a puck off the mask......I thought it was blatantly obvious Lundqvist got speared through the cage(and I was really glad it was a Rangers stick). Can't believe it took the announcers to figure it out.

I admit I don't like Lundqvist very much, but even I don't want to see him hurt like that......Raanta in the NYR goal for the 2nd.

Until Letang figures out what in the hell he's doing, HCMS needs to get him off the #1 PP unit and let Daley carry the mail. Tonight, KL looks every bit as bad as he did in the first month of the season.

Until Letang figures out what in the hell he's doing, HCMS needs to get him off the #1 PP unit and let Daley carry the mail. Tonight, KL looks every bit as bad as he did in the first month of the season.
Agreed...he looks 'Off' tonight...and good point re that Rangers wall...they are looking an awful lot like the swarming crew we saw earlier in the year...

Wtf was THAT? The 'he's exhausted penalty'???

Officiating in this game is downright awful......

I appreciate the stripes are trying to maintain control of the game......and we all know officials often miss what appear to be obvious penalties.....but in this game, they've made several calls that simply weren't penalties. And I think the Rangers have gotten the worst of it; with this crew, I'm shocked the Pens didn't draw a major on the Staal spear on Lundqvist.

As for Sid's goal, he'll get a lot of kudos for the mad SOG......and it was......but that was an equally fabulous one-handed play/control of Horny's stretch pass.

What feed do you guys have? I've got MSG...they are pretty good as usual...no over the top sensationalism and unnecessary yip yap...relatively unbiased as well....

Love the SHG!

Did you notice how friggin' cool Kuhnhackl was taking that pass and burying the shot ?? if you didn't know better, you'd think he was some top goal scorer.......

What feed do you guys have? I've got MSG...they are pretty good as usual...no over the top sensationalism and unnecessary yip yap...relatively unbiased as well....

Was it Sam Rosen and Joe Micheletti doing P-b-P for MSG (and how did you end up with their broadcast......did Rogers pick it up) ?? Rosen has been doing Rangers TV for at least 30 years; while he's a pretty big Rangers fan, by and large he's pretty good (and usually isn't over the top). And the same can be said about Micheletti. Rangers on radio is done by veteran Kenny Albert, who I consider as good as anyone in the business (even though I don't think he has the greatest voice).

Jeff Zatkoff....THANKS!!!! What a job under a lot of pressure!
o

No question, a strong performance by Zatkoff (and frankly, I thought Raanta played pretty solid under even worse circumstances). Unfortunately, a game like this tends (IMO) to increase confidence in him probably to an excessive level.

I doubt JZ can play much better on Saturday; then again, perhaps he's not as likely to face a 4-minute 3 on 5 (that is, unless the League sends that ****ing Tim Peel to Pittsburgh again). If he can hold the fort on Saturday, maybe we can get Flower back on the ice next week. Meanwhile, I'm keeping my fingers crossed Mario can reach Andy Van Hellemond and convince him to come out of retirement to officiate the rest of this series.

Finally, Jeremy Roenick was working the studio with Anson Carter for NBCSN, and he was going on and on about how this might be a short series. And, I just caught Mike Milbury (on NBCSN's intermission telecast of the Hawks and Blues) calling this a "statement win" by the Penguins. Granted, the score wasn't close, but I myself didn't think it was indicative of how well the Rangers skated.....this is the best I've seen the Rangers look for at least a month.....and how much they seemed to have the Pens back on their heels.

Maybe you guys saw the game differently than I did; but speaking only for myself, I am not convinced after tonight this will be any kind of short series.

I watched the game on Root.

Really ?? I'm surprised Root was permitted to carry the telecast with NBCSN carrying it nationally. OTOH, we had the same thing here in Detroit; the Wings and Bolts were telecast not on NBCSN, but on Fox Sports Detroit.

Really ?? I'm surprised Root was permitted to carry the telecast with NBCSN carrying it nationally. OTOH, we had the same thing here in Detroit; the Wings and Bolts were telecast not on NBCSN, but on Fox Sports Detroit.
I believe they are doing the whole first series. I remember in years past they would do the first series and nothing beyond that. I am not sure if that is the format this year.

I believe they are doing the whole first series. I remember in years past they would do the first series and nothing beyond that. I am not sure if that is the format this year.

Interesting...... perhaps NBC's exclusive is written in such a way that it doesn't kick in until the 2nd round. Anyway, NBC did not (IMO) distinguish itself with their broadcast team last night.....John Forsland and (I think) Brian Boucher; not saying they were no good, just that neither seemed to add much to the game.

That was the kind of broadcast we desperately need Dave Strader behind the mic; unfortunately, I assume he's committed to his regular job with the Dallas Stars.

Sure was a nice win at home against the Rangers even though for most of the first period, the atmosphere and intensity from the Pens seemed early November-ish. I admit I was a more than a little worried when it was announced MAF was not dressed. Zatkoff weathered the early peppering better than expected and really set the tone for the Pen’s win. Sorry to see King Henry take a stick in the eye hole but honestly, I thought he was shaky to begin with. I figured it was a matter of time before he let in a goal. Horny delivered and the Pens were off to the races.

Other than the atrocious officiating (the first two calls on the Rangers were bogus), the biggest concerns were the PP and the 2nd line in my opinion. I thought that Kessel, and Hagelin were just awful. Both Hagelin and Kessel missed glorious chances off tips. Hagelin stopped on a partial breakaway. Both were sloppy with the puck similar to what they were in late January. The slash by Hagelin leading to the double minor was lazy, sloppy, ugly, and just plain stupid. It could have cost the Pens the game.

On the positive side, the PK was shining again. The threat of the shorty is a huge weapon to keep the defensemen from pinching. The Pens are just racking up the SHGs right now. I thought Crosby was sluggish in period 1 but really was motoring the final 2. He easily could have had a few more assists. Horny was his usual self and really brings a needed dynamic to this team. Zatkoff was sound if not spectacular in period 1. Nice to see but he still worries me!

Just one last statement. I was never a big fan of Jordan Staal. When Jordan wants to play, he could and still can dominate games. The problem is, he rarely wanted to play. I lived in Raleigh from 07-12 and saw my share of Eric Staal. While Eric was never as good as Jordan could be on the defensive end, he had that ability to take over games on the offensive end. In fact, for a while, I thought he was one of the best forwards in the league. By far he was my favorite Cane. But Eric, like Jordan, is just out there now collecting pay checks. I know the series is early and I hate to poke a sleeping bear, but Eric just doesn’t break a sweat. Sad to see really.

Sure was a nice win at home against the Rangers even though for most of the first period, the atmosphere and intensity from the Pens seemed early November-ish. I admit I was a more than a little worried when it was announced MAF was not dressed. Zatkoff weathered the early peppering better than expected and really set the tone for the Pen’s win. Sorry to see King Henry take a stick in the eye hole but honestly, I thought he was shaky to begin with. I figured it was a matter of time before he let in a goal. Horny delivered and the Pens were off to the races.

Other than the atrocious officiating (the first two calls on the Rangers were bogus), the biggest concerns were the PP and the 2nd line in my opinion. I thought that Kessel, and Hagelin were just awful. Both Hagelin and Kessel missed glorious chances off tips. Hagelin stopped on a partial breakaway. Both were sloppy with the puck similar to what they were in late January. The slash by Hagelin leading to the double minor was lazy, sloppy, ugly, and just plain stupid. It could have cost the Pens the game.

On the positive side, the PK was shining again. The threat of the shorty is a huge weapon to keep the defensemen from pinching. The Pens are just racking up the SHGs right now. I thought Crosby was sluggish in period 1 but really was motoring the final 2. He easily could have had a few more assists. Horny was his usual self and really brings a needed dynamic to this team. Zatkoff was sound if not spectacular in period 1. Nice to see but he still worries me!

Just one last statement. I was never a big fan of Jordan Staal. When Jordan wants to play, he could and still can dominate games. The problem is, he rarely wanted to play. I lived in Raleigh from 07-12 and saw my share of Eric Staal. While Eric was never as good as Jordan could be on the defensive end, he had that ability to take over games on the offensive end. In fact, for a while, I thought he was one of the best forwards in the league. By far he was my favorite Cane. But Eric, like Jordan, is just out there now collecting pay checks. I know the series is early and I hate to poke a sleeping bear, but Eric just doesn’t break a sweat. Sad to see really.
I predict we see big contribution from 2nd line in tomorrow's game as Pens take Game 2 with Toronto and wife IN THE HOUSE!

I preditct we see big contribution from 2nd line in tomorrow's game as Pens take Game 2 with Toronto and wife IN THE HOUSE!

I hope you're right, Euell.....

While I think OM was a little harder on that #2 line than yours truly, I'll grant that Kessel and Hagelin (and I admit I didn't see the play leading to the double minor) weren't......how can I say it perhaps a little more elegantly....."as effective" as we've come to expect from them over the past month or so. At the very least, Hagelin seems to keep his legs moving most of the time and pushing the play; but Kessel seemed to regress WED to the guy who was spending more time on the perimeter and not crashing the net with consistency.

Meanwhile, we now see the NYR playing the same PR games with the Lundqvist eye injury as the Pens did with Flower's situation. Not that anyone is interested in my position, but I couldn't care less what they do. I'm also getting no impression whatsoever that anyone but Zatkoff will be in the Pens net tomorrow. I'm less worried about Zatkoff melting down and allowing 5 or 6 goals than I am him making a bad play/decision which leads to a soft goal (which could prove to be a game changer).

Last edited:
I hope you're right, Euell.....

While I think OM was a little harder on that #2 line than yours truly, I'll grant that Kessel and Hagelin (and I admit I didn't see the play leading to the double minor) weren't......how can I say it perhaps a little more elegantly....."as effective" as we've come to expect from them over the past month or so. At the very least, Hagelin seems to keep his legs moving most of the time and pushing the play; but Kessel seemed to regress WED to the guy who was spending more time on the perimeter and not crashing the net with consistency.

Meanwhile, we now see the NYR playing the same PR games with the Lundqvist eye injury as the Pens did with Flower's situation. Not that anyone is interested in my position, but I couldn't care less what they do. I'm also getting no impression whatsoever that anyone but Zatkoff will be in the Pens net tomorrow. I'm less worried about Zatkoff melting down and allowing 5 or 6 goals than I am him making a bad play/decision which leads to a soft goal (which could prove to be a game changer).
I think you are right CM about Zatkoff being in the cage tomorrow. I predict we also will see the Hagelin that gave the Pens nightmares last year in the playoffs emerge.

DK reporting Geno put in his first full scale practice today since being injured in Columbus (though he has been skating for a week or so) and his mates were said to be impressed with both his skating and his slap shot. Apparently, he's now being considered a game time decision for tomorrow afternoon.

He was skating with Conor Sheary and Brian Rust......so keep an eye out for that possible line combination. Insiders don't think Geno and Rust are an especially good combination because Geno likes to carry the puck and Rust is viewed as a shoot first guy. But, we'll see.....

Meanwhile, King Henrik was supposedly on the ice and looking sharp in today's NYR practice, so it appears he's the guy tomorrow. And, coming off all the blame which has been directed his way after Game 1, Dan Girardi has mysteriously come up with an injury and is said to have been scratched tomorrow.

No word on who takes his place, but it wouldn't shock me if Ryan McDonaugh gave it a try.....

Last edited:

Just curious OM1...while you were in NC how was availability/pricing on those Canes tix? I imagine reasonable?

Just curious OM1...while you were in NC how was availability/pricing on those Canes tix? I imagine reasonable?

You could sit anywhere you wanted for most games for 50 bucks or less on the weekend and less than that on week nights. In 2009 when they met the Pens in the eastern conference finals, I attended game 4 right at the visitor tunnel for next to nothing. High fived Byslma and MAF after the game. I probably went to 15-20 games a year when I loved there. Plus I worked for Royal Bank of Canada and had access to reduced tickets often.

You could sit anywhere you wanted for most games for 50 bucks or less on the weekend and less than that on week nights. In 2009 when they met the Pens in the eastern conference finals, I attended game 4 right at the visitor tunnel for next to nothing. High fived Byslma and MAF after the game. I probably went to 15-20 games a year when I loved there. Plus I worked for Royal Bank of Canada and had access to reduced tickets often.
Wow...that is even cheaper than I imagined! Value entertainment right there!

No red for me today gents...got a black #66 (although I'm fairly certain he was never seen on ice in this version) jersey today in the vegas gold for $45?!? Down from 190 lol...it is no surprise I guess with the recent decision to go with the old gold. However the guy selling in the Pens store wouldn't admit it Lol...

I will have the Flying WV head gear on however...no worries....

Lets Go Pens!!!!!!!!

Well, for the first time in awhile......in an important game, at least......the old Pens reappeared. Outhustled, obviously outhit, and they did absolutely nothing to get under King Henrik's hide.

Gino's return was fairly short of triumphant, Letang and Maatta both look lousy (and that's aside Daley's -4 abortion), and they're trying to set records for the most ill-advised drop/backward passes in a single game. It also doesn't help that it looks like the hot streaks we've been watching from Bonito, Cullen, Hagelin may have come to an end since the season ended. But even worse, they're (Sid, Letang, AND Geno in particular) are back to their old obsession of passing up decent SOG in favor of trying to make the prettiest possible play. Right now, the only one on the team who's playing his own game is Kessel.

Media support for the Pens is presumably already running for the hills in the hour after the final horn, and they're going to be accused (justifiably, IMO) of having been totally and completely intimidated by Kreider and Company. I don't think Game 3 is critical; in fact, I don't even care if they win.....but they damned well better start proving again they can skate with the Rangers (and NOT be intimidated).

Well, for the first time in awhile......in an important game, at least......the old Pens reappeared. Outhustled, obviously outhit, and they did absolutely nothing to get under King Henrik's hide.

Gino's return was fairly short of triumphant, Letang and Maatta both look lousy (and that's aside Daley's -4 abortion), and they're trying to set records for the most ill-advised drop/backward passes in a single game. It also doesn't help that it looks like the hot streaks we've been watching from Bonito, Cullen, Hagelin may have come to an end since the season ended. But even worse, they're (Sid, Letang, AND Geno in particular) are back to their old obsession of passing up decent SOG in favor of trying to make the prettiest possible play. Right now, the only one on the team who's playing his own game is Kessel.

Media support for the Pens is presumably already running for the hills in the hour after the final horn, and they're going to be accused (justifiably, IMO) of having been totally and completely intimidated by Kreider and Company. I don't think Game 3 is critical; in fact, I don't even care if they win.....but they damned well better start proving again they can skate with the Rangers (and NOT be intimidated).
Well....THAT was not exactly what I was expecting game wise...
I can tell ya one thing the roof literally came off the building when Geno hit the ice...and same with the Kessel goal. A volume/crowd intensity you only see once in a blue moon....and then? BAM BAM AND...BAM...The place completely deflated.
Do you guys feel as I do that Sully shoulda called a TO after that 2nd Ranger goal or even the 3rd to do a much needed reset? There was plenty of blame to go around today regardless....
I cannot complain too much I suppose....I'm sitting Southside on the Mon with city view and a cold Yeungling on the bar patio...it eases the pain lol...NEED to take the next one boys bigtime!

Well....THAT was not exactly what I was expecting game wise...
I can tell ya one thing the roof literally came off the building when Geno hit the ice...and same with the Kessel goal. A volume/crowd intensity you only see once in a blue moon....and then? BAM BAM AND...BAM...The place completely deflated.
Do you guys feel as I do that Sully shoulda called a TO after that 2nd Ranger goal or even the 3rd to do a much needed reset? There was plenty of blame to go around today regardless....
I cannot complain too much I suppose....I'm sitting Southside on the Mon with city view and a cold Yeungling on the bar patio...it eases the pain lol...NEED to take the next one boys bigtime!
Disappointing to say the least. Will we see MAF in the net Tuesday? Although JZ did not play a stellar game, this loss can't be pinned on him.

Good points. I did not realize Daley was a -4. The pass he made on the 1st goal was very impressive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT