ADVERTISEMENT

Pens /Rangers....

Just wondering re Kris Letang; for a number of years, Letang was easily the fastest skater on the team. But this year.....and especially the latter part of this past season.....he just doesn't seem to have the wheels (to my eyes) he's had in the past. Seems to me Sheary and Rust (and Hagelin) would both blow him away in a race from goal line to goal line.

Does anyone else see that, or am I the only one ??? And speaking of no wheels, is anyone else worried that Hagelin may have shot his wad during the season and is now running on empty ??

Just wondering re Kris Letang; for a number of years, Letang was easily the fastest skater on the team. But this year.....and especially the latter part of this past season.....he just doesn't seem to have the wheels (to my eyes) he's had in the past. Seems to me Sheary and Rust (and Hagelin) would both blow him away in a race from goal line to goal line.

Does anyone else see that, or am I the only one ??? And speaking of no wheels, is anyone else worried that Hagelin may have shot his wad during the season and is now running on empty ??
I see it to some degree CM...I'm not sure if he's lost a half step, he looks that much slower because of the new legs in the lineup (Daley is damn quick at times ) or maybe these heavy minutes/injuries are taking a toll...not sure....

On another note ,and I'll try to not get ahead of myself seeing as they have come back before and the Blues have choked it more than once BUT....Are the Hawks unraveling or what?!? [laughing]....They went into full meltdown mode last night....highly enjoyable.

I didn't see any of the Blues-Hawks at all; but no matter how you slice it, the Blues need to close it out. I don't figure the Hawks to lay down and die in Game 5, even though it's on Blues ice.

Meanwhile, the Ducks come back strong versus the Preds; will be interesting to see if they can put together consecutive good road games. As for San Jose, I'd strongly recommend they not allow the Kings to tie it up tonight, even though they're arguably the worst home team in the League.

And even though I'm hardly rooting for the Craps, they may just as well bury the pathetic Cryers on their home ice (though I do wish the Cryers could extend things at least a little bit). Maybe Neuvirth can stand on his head.

As for the Pens on their day off, sounds like the media figures Letang to be quite fortunate to be playing tomorrow night after hitting Stalberg in the chops. I'm pretty sure it was being reported Stalberg lost two teeth in the incident.

KL apparently claimed today he'd never do anything like that purposefully; then again, maybe he didn't come as close to decapitating the guy as it may have initially appeared. I thought I read earlier the swing was thought possibly to be somewhat in retaliation for a shot he may have taken earlier in the game; but the League apparently has officially called it an accident. Regardless, I can't believe either ref didn't see the play (and make a call).

Of course, with all the shots Kreider and his hit squad buddies have taken in the last two games, I don't exactly feel sorry for Stalberg or the NYR. I do, however, strongly suggest Letang keep his head on a swivel tomorrow night.

I didn't see any of the Blues-Hawks at all; but no matter how you slice it, the Blues need to close it out. I don't figure the Hawks to lay down and die in Game 5, even though it's on Blues ice.

Meanwhile, the Ducks come back strong versus the Preds; will be interesting to see if they can put together consecutive good road games. As for San Jose, I'd strongly recommend they not allow the Kings to tie it up tonight, even though they're arguably the worst home team in the League.

And even though I'm hardly rooting for the Craps, they may just as well bury the pathetic Cryers on their home ice (though I do wish the Cryers could extend things at least a little bit). Maybe Neuvirth can stand on his head.

As for the Pens on their day off, sounds like the media figures Letang to be quite fortunate to be playing tomorrow night after hitting Stalberg in the chops. I'm pretty sure it was being reported Stalberg lost two teeth in the incident.

KL apparently claimed today he'd never do anything like that purposefully; then again, maybe he didn't come as close to decapitating the guy as it may have initially appeared. I thought I read earlier the swing was thought possibly to be somewhat in retaliation for a shot he may have taken earlier in the game; but the League apparently has officially called it an accident. Regardless, I can't believe either ref didn't see the play (and make a call).

Of course, with all the shots Kreider and his hit squad buddies have taken in the last two games, I don't exactly feel sorry for Stalberg or the NYR. I do, however, strongly suggest Letang keep his head on a swivel tomorrow night.
Lol...Kreider and his hit squad buddies...well said....they are approaching BJ's territory soon.

I honestly didnt see the offending apparent dental surgery KL performed on Stalberg...and I watched the entire game (perhaps when I was in the kitchen cracking one of the Yeungling I smuggled across the border), did you fellas see it? I turned on the radio this am and they were mentioning it...I was like huh?
I think you're right he better have his head on a swivel next game...imo Kris takes more abuse than most D men in the league so if he supposedly leveled an errant high stick on a team littered with henchmen....then I'm just fine with it thank you very much!

Lol...Kreider and his hit squad buddies...well said....they are approaching BJ's territory soon.

I honestly didnt see the offending apparent dental surgery KL performed on Stalberg...and I watched the entire game (perhaps when I was in the kitchen cracking one of the Yeungling I smuggled across the border), did you fellas see it? I turned on the radio this am and they were mentioning it...I was like huh?
I think you're right he better have his head on a swivel next game...imo Kris takes more abuse than most D men in the league so if he supposedly leveled an errant high stick on a team littered with henchmen....then I'm just fine with it thank you very much!
I believe KL heard about the very rude treatment you received from Jackwagon Ranger fans on the shuttle bus on Saturday and was exacting a little revenge for his countryman.
As a former member of the Gendarme I may be compelled to notify my friends at RCMP to inform them of your bootlegging operation! LOL! LGP!

Last edited:
I believe KL heard about the very rude treatment you received from Jackwagon Ranger fans on the shuttle bus on Saturday and was exacting a little revenge for his countryman.
As a former member of the Gendarme I may be compelled to notify my friends at RCMP to inform them of your bootlegging operation! LOL! LGP!
Lmao! But my neighbor and I have an agreement! He grabs me a case when he's in Maryland and I do same for him when in WV / Pittsburgh!....This will be my explanation when I am at the border...'It's not all for me...I swear!'....although somehow I figure they would not care and wave me over to the duty fees zone lol....

Sweet! However, if Pens get too far ahead those bastards in blue will be looking to maim #58 or somebody IMO.

Of the three goals, the Sheary score was arguably the most satisfying.......capitalizing on the Rangers TO, and beating King Henrik cleanly.

You know, t, Jeremy Roenick is working the studio for NBCSN, and he absolutely savaged the Rangers in the analysis. Said the Pens simply want the game more.....downright ripped Kreider to shreds for not playing like, well, Kreider......and even took Vigneault (who I consider a pretty decent coach even though he's a whiner) to task for his team lack of intent.

Pens are obviously advantaged, but they need to come out of the 2nd with at least a 2 goal lead. They need to maintain those defensive sticks; how many Ranger plays did they disrupt with good sticks on the back-check in that 1st period ??

Of the three goals, the Sheary score was arguably the most satisfying.......capitalizing on the Rangers TO, and beating King Henrik cleanly.

You know, t, Jeremy Roenick is working the studio for NBCSN, and he absolutely savaged the Rangers in the analysis. Said the Pens simply want the game more.....downright ripped Kreider to shreds for not playing like, well, Kreider......and even took Vigneault (who I consider a pretty decent coach even though he's a whiner) to task for his team lack of intent.

Pens are obviously advantaged, but they need to come out of the 2nd with at least a 2 goal lead. They need to maintain those defensive sticks; how many Ranger plays did they disrupt with good sticks on the back-check in that 1st period ??
Malkin! They are brow beating them now....And Sid is having a hell of a game too...seeing the open man and reacting quickly!
I bet at least a half dozen sticks in the way in that first as you say...and their positioning is incredibly sound too if our first defender fumbles a bit the other is suitably placed to jump in/up and make the transition pass. If Tuesday was a good road game then this one is textbook thus far imo...

As much as I hate MacGuire (happy you have to listen to him rather than I lol), I love JR's candor and tell it like it is attitude....and that says A LOT imo seeing as he's a former Philly boy....the chatter up here last year was him as the replacement for Cherry (whom actually grinds my gears quite a bit when he gets all political),MANY up here are in huge favour of him as the next logical step whether he's American, Canadian or Swedish. People here love him.... I can think of no better candidate. ...what do you guys think?

As much as I hate MacGuire (happy you have to listen to him rather than I lol), I love JR's candor and tell it like it is attitude....and that says A LOT imo seeing as he's a former Philly boy....the chatter up here last year was him as the replacement for Cherry (whom actually grinds my gears quite a bit when he gets all political),MANY up here are in huge favour of him as the next logical step whether he's American, Canadian or Swedish. People here love him.... I can think of no better candidate. ...what do you guys think?

On balance, Roenick has never done a whole lot for me, as I think he tries too hard to be opinionated and controversial.

Obviously, he knows the game, but as a replacement for Grapes, I'm not sure......I had no idea he was unusually well-liked north of the border. I'm certainly no fan of the guy, but I myself think Milbury.....who's NBCSN's lead between-periods studio agitator.....is better in that specific role than Roenick.

I find myself assuming that P-I-A Kypreos is privately dying for Grapes' job. But when push comes to shove, I'm thinking they won't fill the chair at all (and will do something different than Coaches Corner).

Speaking of Milbury, does he do anything with the Rogers coverage at all ?? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall him working the CBC studio desk on occasion.....but I didn't think Rogers had hired him.

As for Grapes himself, is there any legitimate talk at all of him hanging it up.....or is this simply a discussion that, at 80+ years of age, he's simply got to retire sometime (or else is going to die in the chair next to MacLean) ??

I find myself assuming they're eventually going to have to bring in a fork lift to get rid of him......

JR just said his son's HS team could beat the Rangers tonight. Fortunately the Rangers......after whatever the hell happened with Kunitz in their slot when he wasn't penalized.......have the officials (as after Game 3) to blame again for everything that ailed them tonight as well.

Meanwhile, I'm back in Detroit tonight, and just realized I've got CBC on my hotel's cable TV......and have Bob Cole calling the Dead Wings-Lightning broadcast.

JR just said his son's HS team could beat the Rangers tonight. Fortunately the Rangers......after whatever the hell happened with Kunitz in their slot when he wasn't penalized.......have the officials (as after Game 3) to blame again for everything that ailed them tonight as well.

Meanwhile, I'm back in Detroit tonight, and just realized I've got CBC on my hotel's cable TV......and have Bob Cole calling the Dead Wings-Lightning broadcast.
Yep...they are featuring that game during the Pens intermission. I grew up with Cole and loved his calls for years but think maybe ....well actually definitely time for him to call it a career. He stumbles a bit now on calls...although he did make a great call on the player du jour Larkins goal last game...I think back in the day most like to equate him to a Canadian Hockey Vin Scully? And I realize not all love Vin...
And yes believe it or not JR is very popular up here....which is actually rare up here as a non Canadian. Especially popular with the younger set. I agree with you that he tries a bit hard but knows his stuff fairly well...I suppose in my case he amuses me whilst providing a fairly decent breakdown....

How about this tonight fellas? One more and on we go...hopefully they can close it out next game!

Oh and Milbury...we see him very occasionally...I am assuming he is the last resort here should someone need a night off....and like you all? We are allergic to this bozo!!!!

Oops I just realized you mention you are not as opposed to Milbury CM, yet a bit cold on JR...I suppose this is why there is Chocolate, Vanilla, and Strawberry lol...the point is we all LOVE the game in the end, and are simply over the moon with this effort tonight! I'm looking to hear what OM1 and WVRON thought about this eve in addition to the rest of us...there has been no better time to be a Pens fan in quite awhile...

I've been a Bob Cole fan pretty much forever.

I didn't think I could like anyone as much as Danny Gallivan, and Cole (to me) was far better. Speaking only for myself, I couldn't give two shits how much of the game he misses these days; he still has one of the great voices ever......US or Canada.......and I'm happy to keep listening to it for as long as I can (have you EVER seen such finesse......). I always liked the fact he talked/talks less than pretty much any hockey P-B-P guy ever; he never forgot the game, rather than the broadcasters, sells itself.

Meanwhile, Game 4 is history; everyone have a couple drinks tonight then forget about it, because it's finally time to bury those clown Rangers, their sanctimonious fans/media, and some painful recent history once and for all. Just hoping Game 5 is at night rather than mid-afternoon; and I sure hope nobody on the Rangers loses their damned mother in the next two days.

Meanwhile t, stay the hell away from the CEC on Saturday [roll]

I've been a Bob Cole fan pretty much forever.

I didn't think I could like anyone as much as Danny Gallivan, and Cole (to me) was far better. Speaking only for myself, I couldn't give two shits how much of the game he misses these days; he still has one of the great voices ever......US or Canada.......and I'm happy to keep listening to it for as long as I can (have you EVER seen such finesse......). I always liked the fact he talked/talks less than pretty much any hockey P-B-P guy ever; he never forgot the game, rather than the broadcasters, sells itself.

Meanwhile, Game 4 is history; everyone have a couple drinks tonight then forget about it, because it's finally time to bury those clown Rangers, their sanctimonious fans/media, and some painful recent history once and for all. Just hoping Game 5 is at night rather than mid-afternoon; and I sure hope nobody on the Rangers loses their damned mother in the next two days.

Meanwhile t, stay the hell away from the CEC on Saturday [roll]
Lmao...you have my word! I will be intently watching from my lazy boy! However.... i did mention to the wife tonight at 4-0...'Craps in The Burgh'? With a raised eyebrow and was not shut down lol...I'm working some OT tomorrow so....hmmm....we'll cross that bridge when we come to it...never know....
And re: Cole and his voice and allowing the game to sell itself? I could not agree more. My biggest pet peeve is listening to some chowderhead fill the air with meaningless chatter to break the sometimes necessary silence no matter what the sport. Cole was on my local radio show yesterday in a very rare appearance.... from Tampa when he was riding the 'trolley' as he called it lol ,from the terminal to baggage claim. And he talks in the same manner in an interview as he does broadcasting the game...a lengthy pause here or there. He said 'It does not matter the locale where I am,I love the game and I've been lucky enough to be part of it for all these years. ...I love to go to the rink'.

Reactions: COOL MAN
I have only watched a little bit of the non-Pens games in the playoffs, but thought I heard Bill Clement doing color commentary. If so, that was the first time I had heard him in quite some time. I always liked him and Gary Thorne when they did the games on ESPN. I liked Brian Engblom on those telecasts also. I have never been a fan of Mike Milbury. I never liked Barry Melrose. I don't have the animosity for Pierre M. that T does. I like Keith Jones also (even though he used to play for Craps.) I like Eddie O. with the Doc.

Last edited:
Reactions: COOL MAN
I have only watched a little bit of the non-Pens games in the playoffs, but thought I heard Bill Clement doing color commentary. If so, that was the first time I had heard him in quite some time. I always liked him and Gary Thorne when they did the games on ESPN. I liked Brian Engblom on those telecasts also. I have never been a fan of Mike Milbury. I never liked Barry Melrose. I don't have the animosity for Pierre M. that T does. I like Keith Jones also (even though he used to play for Craps.) I like Eddie O. with the Doc.

I would not, in any way, call myself a Milbury fan......I simply consider him better in the studio-agitator role than Roenick, no more no less.

It's no secret Gary Thorne has achieved almost legendary status as an NHL guy in the States; but I have to say I was never as big a fan of his as most (though, he was perfectly fine P-b-P guy). I think it was more his voice than anything else.....which I never thought was anything better than fair (and I get the impression, perhaps mistakenly, that his reputation eventually got the best of him). I also thought he and Clement made a pretty decent on-air team.

Speaking of Clement, he's a profoundly different guy on Cryers broadcasts than he ever was on network match-ups. Honestly, I'll be happy to never again be forced to listed to a badly-aging Clement.....and I think his days of doing national games are long gone (never knew if that was his decision or the networks).

As for Jones, I myself think he's one of the absolute best in the business; in fact, he's really not all that bad even on Cryers broadcasts (though, until recently, I hadn't realized that he played for Washington). Melrose obviously deteriorated into a sideshow years ago on a network who, of course, continues to treat the League.....with a couple noticeable exceptions.....with borderline shocking disrespect).

Regarding other broadcasters, I too like Eddie O and Engblom.....and I admit I'm better with Pierre than t happens to be (even though he absolutely never shuts up). I've said it before and I'll say it again; I think the best current P-b-P guy in the business is NBCSN pinch-hitter Dave Strader (who is now the Stars' TV guy). I don't think there's anyone better even north of the Border. Another P-b-P guy I like is Tampa's Dave Mishkin......though his scream-at-the-top-of-his-lungs trademark when the TBL score redefines the term grating.

Mishkin needs to be good, as his sidekick is old fossil Phil Esposito. If you haven't heard him recently, take my word for it; Espo needs to hang up his broadcasting microphone and go to the golf course permanently. He's still a great teller of old-time hockey stories.....and I realize he was part of the team's original ownership/Management.....but has about as much business doing radio color these days as my deceased Dad.

Reactions: Euell
Lmao...you have my word! I will be intently watching from my lazy boy! However.... i did mention to the wife tonight at 4-0...'Craps in The Burgh'? With a raised eyebrow and was not shut down lol...I'm working some OT tomorrow so....hmmm....we'll cross that bridge when we come to it...never know....
And re: Cole and his voice and allowing the game to sell itself? I could not agree more. My biggest pet peeve is listening to some chowderhead fill the air with meaningless chatter to break the sometimes necessary silence no matter what the sport. Cole was on my local radio show yesterday in a very rare appearance.... from Tampa when he was riding the 'trolley' as he called it lol ,from the terminal to baggage claim. And he talks in the same manner in an interview as he does broadcasting the game...a lengthy pause here or there. He said 'It does not matter the locale where I am,I love the game and I've been lucky enough to be part of it for all these years. ...I love to go to the rink'.

I, of course, don't watch (or hear) Canadian media here in the States, but I don't think I've ever heard Cole speak a single word beyond the context of a broadcast. Granted Cole has a voice and delivery that would be pretty tough to replicate, but I find myself wondering to what extent anyone doing hockey in Canada has really tried.

I Googled him last night after making my comments, and was surprised to see he's a Newfoundlander. I, of course, am a big fan of Newfoundland after my son enjoyed a memorable month there a couple years ago in a late Spring vocal program based at Memorial University.

One interesting stat from last night......Hits -- NYR 29 Pens 22

I realize the NYR didn't want to risk drawing penalties from a set of stripes who admittedly haven't done them too many favors thus far, but why did they (at least comparatively speaking) largely depart what seemed to have worked for them fairly well in Game 3 ??? With nothing to lose, look for.....as I thought would be the case last night.....the Kreider-and-his-Hitmen-Buddies Show to reappear in force tomorrow in Pittsburgh.

BTW, did you happen to hear this morning (NHL TV was talking about it) about the rumor that Lundquist removed himself from the game ?? Also, did you notice that both Kreider (0 SOG) and Nash (2 SOG) got benched later in the 3rd period ?? Trying to decide if Vigneault simply decided to rest them with little left to gain.....and perhaps each was nursing some minor injury......or if he was trying to send them a very clear message regarding their performances.

Unfortunately, Game 5 will faceoff in the 300pm EDT slot according to DK. Apparently, NBC had intended for the Rangers-Pens to play in primetime IF the Blues had closed out the Chicago. But they didn't, so the Hawks get the evening faceoff, while the Rangers and Pens are relegated to my Saturday afternoon car washing/movie matinee time slot. :uzi:

Unfortunately, Game 5 will faceoff in the 300pm EDT slot according to DK. Apparently, NBC had intended for the Rangers-Pens to play in primetime IF the Blues had closed out the Chicago. But they didn't, so the Hawks get the evening faceoff, while the Rangers and Pens are relegated to my Saturday afternoon car washing/movie matinee time slot. :uzi:
Damn....I definitely (as do most up here) prefer an evening time slot on the weekend. In fact many of us hosers find it downright odd, hockey in the afternoon as so many games are on Sat/Sun in the US. I suppose to Americans this penchant for hockey only being broadcast at night seems equally odd lol...in fact if you look at tge regular season scheduling you'll find very few games in Canadian cities broadcast in the afternoon slot...they seem to garner very paltry ratings...

Well I certainly like the 3pm better than the noon or 1pm slot at least....although with football (especially Mountaineers football) my fave slot is the 3pm kick...if at home I've got some time early in the day to get some things done and if I'm at the game it allows a suitable amount of time for tailgating beforehand and enjoyment of some late afternoon sunshine. The night games I enjoy more from my lazy boy. Not as many folks bombed on alcohol and it can get darn frigid some nights in late Oct/Nov....of course you'd think a Northern guy like me would be hardened to conditions on the lower end of the thermometer but...nope! Lol...

If it means a Pens win and putting these jokers in the rearview mirror however?...I'll happily take a game at 6am broadcast from the North Pole in Black and White!

I, of course, don't watch (or hear) Canadian media here in the States, but I don't think I've ever heard Cole speak a single word beyond the context of a broadcast. Granted Cole has a voice and delivery that would be pretty tough to replicate, but I find myself wondering to what extent anyone doing hockey in Canada has really tried.

I Googled him last night after making my comments, and was surprised to see he's a Newfoundlander. I, of course, am a big fan of Newfoundland after my son enjoyed a memorable month there a couple years ago in a late Spring vocal program based at Memorial University.
Ah ha yes...you betcha ole Bob is a Newfie fella....speaking of which are you old enough to remember those original calls at start of game from the legend Foster Hewitt? Perhaps not. I'm not entirely certain when he hung it up but on the HNIC broadcast start I always get a few goosebumps when they replay the opening line 'Good evening hockey fans in Canada, United States and Newfoundland' not sure if you know why or not but these were the broadcasts before Newfoundland became our 10th (and imo most beautiful) province in the late 40's...

I have 2 favorite places to be on earth...and this is after traveling a good portion of the globe over the years. One is the mountains of West Virginia on a crisp fall day with the colours changing and sun shining, with a Saturday afternoon spent at MP and Mountaineer Field. The other is without question Newfoundland. The landscape, the people (salt of the earth folk), the ocean, fishing harbours and of course those blasted Newfie Dogs I've grown to love (although you dont see many of them at all there anymore, when we brought our previous girl 'home' she was like a tourist attraction to the locals and tourists lol). We are working on heading to Newfoundland again this year in early July, and will bring the current pooch along for the ride and ferry crossing (I've actually got a BIG female we're rescue fostering right now...any Mountaineers need a loveable lug lol?).

I was looking for vacation homes in one of WV or Newfoundland. Can't go wrong with either locale really...but the sink in our dollar and the improved health of the US real estate market has me concentrating on Newfoundland at this point...and hopefully will lock someplace down within the next year....

Also...I'm ecstatic that your son thoroughly enjoyed his time there on 'The Rock'!

Anyway enough ramblings from me for now...

Last edited:
Euell...I thoroughly enjoy Eddie O's take on things too...he's spot on in his analysis much of the time and gives his honest opinion....Jones as well...solid analysis....2 of the most likeable individuals in the biz imo....

Oh one more thing...I positively LOVE when Rangers fans chant while getting waxed 4 zip...it tells me all I need to know! LMAO!
Lol! I bet the Rangers and their fans have been talking to themselves all might. Probably having nightmares too! What TOTAL domination that was! The beers were flowing and what a night! Let's finish these terds off tomorrow!

15 minutes or so until gamete me.....

I'm certain we'll see a profoundly different NYR team today, because they can't possibly come out the same way as Thursday night and EVER be allowed back into MSG again. I don't know what happens if the Rangers get a lead; do they then push the play, or drop back and do everything possible to defend Lundquist ??

Hoping the Pens come out flying, especially when Girardi (who's supposedly back in the lineup today) is on the ice. Rangers SHOULD be able to play loose since everyone expects them to lose today; but they still have to deal with the pressure of being, well , the Rangers in NYC.

Keeping my fingers crossed that Geno is as engaged as he was on Thursday; plus, let's hope Kessel decides to come to the CEC today. Regardless, I know of no reason why the Pens, as a team, have reason to be anything but supremely confident. Let's just hope King Henrik doesn't decide to pull a Mike Neuvirth......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT