Bonino 4-4
Geno 3-1
Cullen 10-4

Backstrom 4-13
Eller 10-12
Beagle 3-2
Kuznetsov 6-4
Oshie 3-0

If you can't find a game stream or sports bar that will show it then down load the Pens app and listen to Mike Lange.
Ron...as I recall you are a Washington man? Forgive me if I am wrong...maybe Philly ( I hope not) lol...anyway...that was some damn game tonight after the first period feeling each other out it seems...great hockey no matter the victor...but yeah...I'm happy!

Ron...as I recall you are a Washington man? Forgive me if I am wrong...maybe Philly ( I hope not) lol...anyway...that was some damn game tonight after the first period feeling each other out it seems...great hockey no matter the victor...but yeah...I'm happy!

Caps? Filthy? Hell no!! Pens all the way!

Reactions: torontoeers
There was piece in this morning's Pitt Post Gazette about MAF, where he admitted the past season wasn't a walk-in-the-park for him......which we all understand. We also know he never pouted.....at least not outside the room......and never demanded anything aside his bi-weekly paycheck (which, if you were wondering, is $221,000+). And he obviously was never traded, even though everyone knows he HAS to be eliminated.

With all that said, I'm now wondering if he and GMJR already have this entire issue very quietly worked out behind the scenes; either through some commitment by Flower to voluntarily (or be somehow incentived to) waive his NTC......which I believe he CAN do......or a deal for which the general parameters may already be in place with another team. This also could still include something with McPhee to agree to pass on Murray in the Draft.

Thoughts ??

There was piece in this morning's Pitt Post Gazette about MAF, where he admitted the past season wasn't a walk-in-the-park for him......which we all understand. We also know he never pouted.....at least not outside the room......and never demanded anything aside his bi-weekly paycheck (which, if you were wondering, is $221,000+). And he obviously was never traded, even though everyone knows he HAS to be eliminated.

With all that said, I'm now wondering if he and GMJR already have this entire issue very quietly worked out behind the scenes; either through some commitment by Flower to voluntarily (or be somehow incentived to) waive his NTC......which I believe he CAN do......or a deal for which the general parameters may already be in place with another team. This also could still include something with McPhee to agree to pass on Murray in the Draft.

Thoughts ??
You would likely know more than I in terms of WB/S COOLMAN...how good in your opinion is Jarry? I have heard fairly mixed reviews on him over the past year or so. This imo will likely have at least some influence on the coming proceedings...of course a deal with Flower could very likely, maybe even probably have another netminder coming back the other way, last one I had heard of was Elliott in Calgary which at the time I didn't mind the idea. NOW? Yikes...no thanks...imo the best scenario is the one you mention in paying off McPhee, and keeping with the status quo another year or two if possible....

If they CAN solve the Fleury issue via trade, my opinion is they'll bring in a veteran to backup Murray.

One year ago, I think the team was THAT close to giving up on TJ after he was benched during the playoffs. But it appears he returned thus season with new purpose.....I assume he improved his conditioning in the off season......and evidently became a pretty good goaltender, while apparently regaining his previous status as a reasonably legitimate prospect.

That does not, however, mean I think they're ready to make him a full time backup in 2017-2018, especially with the questions the team simply HAS to have with Murray's ability to stay healthy. Short-term veteran solutions are available; if you don't like Elliott, Kari Lehtonen and Antii Niemi are out there to be part of a Fleury trade to Dallas. And Carolina will be pleased to move Cam Ward or Eddie Lack for a used puck bag if they can sign the just acquired Scott Darling.

And that's all before Yaroslav Halak, who's out there swinging in the NYI's minor league wind with a $4 million+ salary they've been dying to move for 6 months.....

Last edited:
I think we all expect the Craps to pick up where they left off on Thursday.......i just hope that Geno and Kessel don't play as they did on Thursday night; that is, scared shitless they were going to get hit.

Geno wasn't doing much to begin with, then he got leveled by Carlson and disappeared the rest of the evening. As for Kessel, I don't think he engaged with anyone in Red the entire evening. We can only hope they're a little more prepared tonight, and don't leave everything to Sid.

I don't care HOW good the Craps are; the Pens look like minor leaguers tonight. An absolute embarrassment, thus far, from top to bottom for a team that considers itself a Cup contender.

How they're tied 1-1 after this ass kicking is unfathomable. At least Cole paid back Wilson for everything he's done to the Pens since he's broken into the League. And better yet, the Pens will end with some PP time after Wilson comes back head hunting.

How long is it going to take to play this last 11 minutes ??

The arguement here was (led by by Player 8 loving buddy lol), why did Trotz pull him at 3-1? ...yes he is grasping a lot with that excuse for the loss imo, but also imo Holtby did NOT look particularly Vezina like in allowing 3 on 14 and Trotz felt he needed a change, although the shots to my eyes on him were pretty good ones by the good guys. If I were Trotz (definitely not lol) I might have waited a bit longer or not done it start of 2...thoughts?

Oh yeah!!! 2-0 and the next one at home will be the hardest win imo...well done Pens!!!

One key to this series thus far; when was the last time you heard the name TJ OSHIE this series ?? This guy has been a Pens killer from the day he landed in Washington, but he's done less than nothing thus far.

If the Pens can win 2 straight in Washington, the Craps can do the same in Pittsburgh. But if I'm the Pens, I'll take my chances with a 2-0 lead with 3 of the next 4 on my ice. Just not sure who's going to be ready to play on Monday with Horndog, Hainsey, and Kuhnhackl possibly out......and Rusty and (as is usually the case) Cole also hurting.

The arguement here was (led by by Player 8 loving buddy lol), why did Trotz pull him at 3-1? ...yes he is grasping a lot with that excuse for the loss imo, but also imo Holtby did NOT look particularly Vezina like in allowing 3 on 14 and Trotz felt he needed a change, although the shots to my eyes on him were pretty good ones by the good guys. If I were Trotz (definitely not lol) I might have waited a bit longer or not done it start of 2...thoughts?

Oh yeah!!! 2-0 and the next one at home will be the hardest win imo...well done Pens!!!

If I'm a Craps fan, I'm probably not pissed Trotz pulled Holtby.......but it obviously didn't do anything for his team. Trotz got everything he wanted tonight: big effort out of the starting gate and the stripes taking care of his team......and for all that, he's staring at Love-2 (or donut-2 as you'd say, t).

If nothing else, it's amazing how the Pens have gotten into the melons of two (thus far, at least) of the three Vezina finalists. Not sure the last time this happened in the NHL.

For the record, I'm taking full credit for last night's turnaround; meaning, it's clear my "they look like minor leaguers" post is what finally motivated the 'Guins.

Really, there's no question of the connection when it started happening more or less immediately after (or concurrent with) my post. Truth be told, I was feeling that way a good half hour prior to making it. But I was on the phone with my son through most of the 1st period and into the 2nd; and therefore couldn't make the post when I wanted.

Anyway.....in a manner befitting Donald Trump......I'm pleased to pat myself on the back and acknowledge my critical role last night's results

For the record, I'm taking full credit for last night's turnaround; meaning, it's clear my "they look like minor leaguers" post is what finally motivated the 'Guins.

Really, there's no question of the connection when it started happening more or less immediately after (or concurrent with) my post. Truth be told, I was feeling that way a good half hour prior to making it. But I was on the phone with my son through most of the 1st period and into the 2nd; and therefore couldn't make the post when I wanted.

Anyway.....in a manner befitting Donald Trump......I'm pleased to pat myself on the back and acknowledge my critical role last night's results
Lmao...yes that does sound rather 'presidential'...nonetheless, I sense the rest of you feel rather similar to myself in watching these slow (understatement) starts, hopeful that there is minimal damage, all the while pretty much knowing we are gonna see an entirely different team in the second? So much so it is like clockwork to me now. I honestly dont get worried anymore , just bideing my time until they finally wake up and unleash an onslaught on the opposition. It is one strange dynamic...however one I will certainly take so long as the W happens.

Re your comments on Oshie, yep...thus far it's like he is invisible for the most part...fine with me, cause if / when he wakes up, his ability to do damage as we know is significant. I think we also know player 8 will get some goals, however his entire career seems to dictate that those goals won't happen when his team needs him the most....

Get this next one boys, I have a feeling they will throw everything but the kitchen sink at the good guys next game....

Lmao...yes that does sound rather 'presidential'...nonetheless, I sense the rest of you feel rather similar to myself in watching these slow (understatement) starts, hopeful that there is minimal damage, all the while pretty much knowing we are gonna see an entirely different team in the second? So much so it is like clockwork to me now. I honestly dont get worried anymore , just bideing my time until they finally wake up and unleash an onslaught on the opposition. It is one strange dynamic...however one I will certainly take so long as the W happens.

Re your comments on Oshie, yep...thus far it's like he is invisible for the most part...fine with me, cause if / when he wakes up, his ability to do damage as we know is significant. I think we also know player 8 will get some goals, however his entire career seems to dictate that those goals won't happen when his team needs him the most....

Get this next one boys, I have a feeling they will throw everything but the kitchen sink at the good guys next game....

I'm not sure what else the Craps have to throw that they haven't already thrown. What I do worry about, however, is that Flower is overdue to allow an bad one......or, at the very least, the Craps are due to score on a bad bounce or deflection. Which would give them some badly overdue momentum on the scoreboard.

That said, I haven't seen anything this series......nor against the Blojax......that indicates the Pens are ready to come out fast. Which means I largely expect what we've seen over each of their last 7 playoff games tomorrow night (if not necessarily giving the Craps 35 swings at the goal in the 1st Period as was the case last night).

But the Craps have to be terrified by now at the Pens lightning-strike capability, which means they probably can't run the risk of crashing the Pens zone with that 4-5 man forecheck as they've done 5 of the last 6 periods.

Plus, the Orpik-Shattenkirk pairing has been killing them; so they need some cover by not having their forwards stuck so deep in the offensive zone. And finally, on enemy ice, I suspect they'll feel compelled at least a bit to hold back and protect an emotionally-damaged Holtby.

No doubt the Craps......and Holtby.......and Trotz......are already praying to score the first goal (or 2) tomorrow night to ease some of the enormous pressure they're bringing with them from Washington.

I'm not sure what else the Craps have to throw that they haven't already thrown. What I do worry about, however, is that Flower is overdue to allow an bad one......or, at the very least, the Craps are due to score on a bad bounce or deflection. Which would give them some badly overdue momentum on the scoreboard.

That said, I haven't seen anything this series......nor against the Blojax......that indicates the Pens are ready to come out fast. Which means I largely expect what we've seen over each of their last 7 playoff games tomorrow night (if not necessarily giving the Craps 35 swings at the goal in the 1st Period as was the case last night).

But the Craps have to be terrified by now at the Pens lightning-strike capability, which means they probably can't run the risk of crashing the Pens zone with that 4-5 man forecheck as they've done 5 of the last 6 periods.

Plus, the Orpik-Shattenkirk pairing has been killing them; so they need some cover by not having their forwards stuck so deep in the offensive zone. And finally, on enemy ice, I suspect they'll feel compelled at least a bit to hold back and protect an emotionally-damaged Holtby.

No doubt the Craps......and Holtby.......and Trotz......are already praying to score the first goal (or 2) tomorrow night to ease some of the enormous pressure they're bringing with them from Washington.

If the Pens jump out to a quick lead tomorrow the Caps will crumble. Like you said, I'm not sure what else they can throw at us that they haven't and now they are having player only meetings and Trotz is pulling his goalie only down two. Usually when you start questioning everything you're doing that's when things get worse. If ever there was a time the Pens needed a fast start tomorrow night is it.

In watching St.L/ Nash , is there anything that impresses you about them other than their D occasionally and Allen? The O is almost non existent! They are just messing around in the neutral zone until The Preds eventually take the puck, and with authority...

Secondarily, can 2 teams manage to mess up the obviously attractive (to our eyes) combo of Gold and Blue any more??? I used to love the Blues uni's a few years ago, after they got rid of that idiot red phase in there way back in the Hull days....this double blue and gold in its current config just doesnt work imo....and Nashville as they throw the hammer down to go 3-1, and likely 3-1 in the series looks like barf skating all over the ice the shade of Gold they are using looks just off to me....

Also btw, my buddy mentioned to me last night that Adidas is taking over the uniform manufacter for the league next year? Anyone else here of this? Wonder how it affects things in terms of design? I assume they will consult with teams on what they can do, but if teams want the exact status quo thats fine?

And one more....who was rooting for Jersey in those final 2 draft lottery cards last night? I imagine ALL OF US...especially Ron I imagine after I unfortunately insulted him the other day lol...but what a jump in the order for those Cryers regardless, even in a 'down' draft year....And that Vegas logo? DAMNED UGLY!!!

Last edited:
I haven't watched much of the Blues/Preds, but I know the Preds D is playing well.......and it's no secret theirs is a good unit. Not sure how that JOFA Line is playing now; but from what can glean, they ripped Chicago up.

Adidas is definitely the League's uniform supplier next season, and I don't get the impression too many North of the border were happy when the announcement was made back early in the season. I seem to recall hearing that one major difference with Adidas is no 3rd sweater/jersey. I never heard why that was, but I doubt the teams were happy about it.

What makes this an unusual Draft is nothing close to a clear cut #1 pick; in fact, I get the impression there's a fair amount of disagreement over who's #1. For that reason, either Jersey, Philly, or Dallas could end up with the best player.

Where have you been, Euell ?? Here's hoping that you've simply been occupied with things other than hockey, and nothing sinister is afoot.

And speaking of that, we also haven't seen OM lately.......anyway, same comments.

No surprise that Holtby.....if there was really any question to anyone.....will be in Washington's cage tonight. Regardless in what shape the guy is emotionally, I myself don't see how he takes the ice tonight without at least a little trepidation. Which presumably means he'll end up....and to use the famous Nick Brophy line from Slap Shot......either pissing all over himself in the crease, or doing a favorable impression of a granite wall.

Still a little early in the day for any new word on Hornqvist, Hainsey, or Kuhnhackl; maybe around (or shortly after) the lunch hour. Speaking only for myself, I'll be shocked beyond belief if we see Horndog tonight. And if he's got a serious injury......like some lower leg or ankle fracture.....we've obviously seen the last of him this season; and that would be a serious blow.

Meanwhile, I'm still trying to figure out what Backstrom or Oshie or Ovi or anyone else said in that closed door meeting which has been so widely reported. They've already dominated possession and SOG; maybe they (as a group) just told Orpik and Shattenkirk not to show up tonight. Smart assed-ness aside, seems to me about the only thing left for them to do is completely sellout and crash the net.

Keep any eye out for that tonight.....and see to what extent the stripes will let Oshie, Wilson, and Winnik (and a few others) get away with it.

Hornqvist, Hagelin, and Dumoulin.....all nursing injuries.....didn't skate this morning.

Hags didn't skate Saturday, so this being viewed as a possible result of his rehab. Dumo is said to playing hurt, and will be replaced by Streit if he can't go (sounds like Hainsey is playing tonight). I'm already on record as being scared shitless of Streit in the lineup.

All three are being called game-time decisions; if I were a betting man, I'd bet Horndog NO, Hagelin YES, and Dumo NO CLUE. Also, Murray actually came out for the skate, though with no equipment. Still sounds like some distance away....

In a non-series related story involving the Penguins, Puck Daddy is campaigning for the Sabres to hire Jason Botterill as Tim Murray's replacement GM in Buffalo.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/buffalo-sabres-gm-search-reading-lines-154700179.html

I don't want to see JB leave the Igloo....or Billy Guerin, who's also in the mix. But he's certainly paid his dues...is obviously buried in Pittsburgh (with GMJR not going anywhere for the next couple or 3 years, minimum).....and seems more than ready to run an organization. And while things aren't exactly rosy in Buffalo, JB would be joining an organization (and community) downright starving for a winner; and just as importantly, he'd be working for a rich owner willing to spend to the Cap.

If you read the linked story, make note of Wyshynski's comments on the Pens; an organization (or at least team) for whom he's not the world's biggest big fan. Meanwhile, I find myself wondering if Botterill could be elevated to GM with Rutherford becoming a VP of Hockey Operations-type.

Where have you been, Euell ?? Here's hoping that you've simply been occupied with things other than hockey, and nothing sinister is afoot.

And speaking of that, we also haven't seen OM lately.......anyway, same comments.
Nothing sinister afoot. Thanks for asking. I have been watching every game except when I was at the beach two weeks ago (but enjoyed Sirrius radio broadcast with Mike Lange and the old 29er). I read today in the Trib that since the history of the NHL about 20% or so (I don't remember the exact number) of teams that have lost the first two games at home have come back to win the series. Not a huge number but taking into account the way the good guys have been outplayed much of this series (as you and others have pointed out), I cannot relax until the despised ones have been dispatched. Let's Go Pens!

Last edited:
Hornqvist, Hagelin, and Dumoulin.....all nursing injuries.....didn't skate this morning.

Hags didn't skate Saturday, so this being viewed as a possible result of his rehab. Dumo is said to playing hurt, and will be replaced by Streit if he can't go (sounds like Hainsey is playing tonight). I'm already on record as being scared shitless of Streit in the lineup.

All three are being called game-time decisions; if I were a betting man, I'd bet Horndog NO, Hagelin YES, and Dumo NO CLUE. Also, Murray actually came out for the skate, though with no equipment. Still sounds like some distance away....
Yikes....well they're gonna have to figure out a way tonight to deliver the dagger so they can use the sword on Wed night...or we have a brand new series...Let's Go Pens!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT