ADVERTISEMENT

PENS 2021 Season!!

Haven't the foggiest idea what it will (or can) be, but last night's abortion in Long Island might end up being Hexy's trigger to do something with his new team. But something tells me neither he nor Jerky had any real idea how many problems this team had (or has) until they started watching closely every night.

Wouldn't be surprised if both are already ready to cut their losses on Kapanen; but we all know what JR sacrificed to get him makes that pretty tough to do.

Haven't the foggiest idea what it will (or can) be, but last night's abortion in Long Island might end up being Hexy's trigger to do something with his new team. But something tells me neither he nor Jerky had any real idea how many problems this team had (or has) until they started watching closely every night.

Wouldn't be surprised if both are already ready to cut their losses on Kapanen; but we all know what JR sacrificed to get him makes that pretty tough to do.
Not worried about kap in the slightest yet. We got a dman that plays nearly half the game that only cares about scoring

pens respond to adversity and put in their best effort of the year. jarry with easily his best game.

Reactions: COOL MAN
Not worried about kap in the slightest yet. We got a dman that plays nearly half the game that only cares about scoring

Like him or not, the (apparent) fact of the matter is that KK clearly is talented......and has some pretty impressive wheels. Still, nothing more frustrating than the reality these types just don't (or can't) bring it every game......of course, it's the quality of the motor that often separates the elite from the merely good.

Meanwhile, given his recent track record, what's the likelihood he'll have another game approaching last night's before, say, Tax Day ??

Like him or not, the (apparent) fact of the matter is that KK clearly is talented......and has some pretty impressive wheels. Still, nothing more frustrating than the reality these types just don't (or can't) bring it every game......of course, it's the quality of the motor that often separates the elite from the merely good.

Meanwhile, given his recent track record, what's the likelihood he'll have another game approaching last night's before, say, Tax Day ??

some guys disappear, others try to do too much. everyone has their issues.

Sid has apparently cleared COVID-protocol, and WILL dress for tonight's Game 2 of the series versus the Cryers.

game changed when friedman got run from behind and no one did anything about it.

burke can't be happy. poosies.

Gotta admit that Pens-Rangers games are fun to watch given how the two teams can skate.......but the Pens need to keep making hay against them while Breadman is out.

Meanwhile, it was interesting to see how Kincaid picked up against the Pens right where he left off a couple years ago as s a Devil, largely stoning the Pens aftet taking over for the Russian. I think we can all assume he'll get the start tomorrow night, and that makes it look like the Pens will need to win a low-scoring game.

Not sure what the Pens will do in goal......oridinarily, I'd xpect them, to go back to Jarry., but I'm not sure after DeSmith''s performance last night. Speaking of tomorrow night's game, don't forget it's a 600pm start (and on NBCSN).

jarry with a good performance.

kasperi seems to have quieted the haters on this board. lol

man this hasn't aged well.

man this hasn't aged well.

Oh, there's no doubt KK has come on the past couple weeks; one of the best players (if not the best) on the roster right now. And, unlike some folks......who, for example, get more and more angry with every good play that a player like, say, Letang makes......I'm personally delighted that KK seems to have turned things around for the better.

I just hope he continues this streak of strong play.,

Reactions: Irwineer2
Oh, there's no doubt KK has come on the past couple weeks; one of the best players (if not the best) on the roster right now. And, unlike some folks......who, for example, get more and more angry with every good play that a player like, say, Letang makes......I'm personally delighted that KK seems to have turned things around for the better.

I just hope he continues this streak of strong play.,
yeah he's been real good last few games. him and malkin seem to have found something together.

letang sucks.

So, the WWL is officially back aboard with the NHL.....though, beyond the fact they're going to carry half the SCF's over the course of the deal, we really don't know much about them yet. Regardless, on balance, I assume this will be a net positive for the League.

So, the WWL is officially back aboard with the NHL.....though, beyond the fact they're going to carry half the SCF's over the course of the deal, we really don't know much about them yet. Regardless, on balance, I assume this will be a net positive for the League.

Here's more on what ESPN will broadcast (from their website); this appears to be the end (if anyone cares) of NHL Center Ice. It still won't shock me if NBC ends up with the other piece of the deal (or at least one of them, if multiple networks remain involved), focused largely toward Peacock.

ESPN and the NHL announced a seven-year deal on Wednesday, returning hockey to ESPN for the first time since 2004. Included will be 25 regular-season games on ESPN or ABC, early-round playoff series and one conference final each year, four Stanley Cup Final series on ABC and more than 1,000 games per season streaming on ESPN+. ESPN+ and Hulu will be home to 75 ESPN-produced exclusive telecasts per season.

The deal also includes opening-night games, the NHL All-Star Game and Skills Challenge and other special events. The NHL's out-of-market streaming package (NHL.TV) is also moving to ESPN+ as part of its subscription offerings.

Here's more on what ESPN will broadcast (from their website); this appears to be the end (if anyone cares) of NHL Center Ice. It still won't shock me if NBC ends up with the other piece of the deal (or at least one of them, if multiple networks remain involved), focused largely toward Peacock.

ESPN and the NHL announced a seven-year deal on Wednesday, returning hockey to ESPN for the first time since 2004. Included will be 25 regular-season games on ESPN or ABC, early-round playoff series and one conference final each year, four Stanley Cup Final series on ABC and more than 1,000 games per season streaming on ESPN+. ESPN+ and Hulu will be home to 75 ESPN-produced exclusive telecasts per season.

The deal also includes opening-night games, the NHL All-Star Game and Skills Challenge and other special events. The NHL's out-of-market streaming package (NHL.TV) is also moving to ESPN+ as part of its subscription offerings.

That will be nice for us who have ESPN+. Have the bundle with Disney/Hulu/ESPN.

Malkin is heating up.

Glad to hear it.......I didn't see last night's game, but this is sure a dfifferent team when he's got thnigs jacked up. Just hope he doesn't come up with one of those unexplainable injuries that takes him out of the lineup for 2 weeks.

saw an interesting trade rumor this morning.

eric staal for jusso rikkola...

pull the trigger now.

In looking at Cap Friendly to check the numbers regarding this proposed Riikola for Staal deal.....and at first glance, this deal appears possible from a cap standpoint.......I was looking at the retained salary/buyout dollars the team has on the books.

FWIW, they have $2.050 million on the books in 20/21 only for Tricky Nicky........FYI, Tricky's stats thus far this season are 4/6/10 in 25 games. Not sure he played 25 consecutve games in his entire Pittsburgh tenure.

Then there's the Jack Johnson buyout. In absolute terms, it isn't lethal to the team like some. But if nothing else, JJ sure is going to be collecting a nice chunk of Jim Rutherford-printed dollars after he hangs up the blades (maybe after this season) as his kids close out grade school:
  • 20/21 -- $1.167 million
  • 21/22 -- $1.167 million
  • 22/23 -- $1.917 million
  • 23/24 -- $917K
  • 24/25 -- $917K
  • 25/26 -- $917K

Last edited:
A few weeks ago we were lamenting the goaltending. Now both are at least playing at an above average level. Dumo’s return has seems to calm Letang down too. And 71 and 42 have a little chemistry going on. I like what I am starting to see.

Reactions: COOL MAN
If you haven't seen them, I finally saw some numbers surrounding ESPN's new deal with the League......according to the Athletic, it's for something in the vicinity of $400-420 million/season (7 years, $2.8 billion).

That compares to the current $1.9 billion ($190 million/season) deal the League signed 10 years ago with NBC. Of course, this is only part of what the League is currently chasing; ESPN is said to have received the "A" package, which will sit aside the so-called "B" package with a "yet-to-named" network.

Sounds like the current smart money to earn that deal is either Fox or NBC (or NBC or Fox), which is expected to be something in the vicinity of an additional $200 million/season. So, you can do the math; that would roughly triple the current annual revenue take......though, when the original deal was signed, neither Vegas nor Seattle existed.

Evidently, CBS could be involved in the B package, but is considered a dark horse. One fly in the ointment is the Winter Classic, where NBC was always heavily involved with no New Year's Day football commitment (that ESPN will have). Presumably, that game will fall to the B package (though I myself don't know how committed Fox is to NYD bowl games).

FYI, that's still only a fraction what the NBA earns from their current ESPN and TBS (a combined $2.6-2.7 billion annually) deals. One more thing; the Athletic piece stated that Gary Bettman was thought to have been chasing (pre-pandemic) an annual deal(s) approaching $750 million/season; So, at an expected $600-620 miliion combined, Bettman came up a fair distance short of his original goal.

Also keep in mind that the listed NHL numbers do not include the League's current deal north of the border with Rogers Sports (12 years, $5.232 billion CDN).

If you haven't seen them, I finally saw some numbers surrounding ESPN's new deal with the League......according to the Athletic, it's for something in the vicinity of $400-420 million/season (7 years, $2.8 billion).

That compares to the current $1.9 billion ($190 million/season) deal the League signed 10 years ago with NBC. Of course, this is only part of what the League is currently chasing; ESPN is said to have received the "A" package, which will sit aside the so-called "B" package with a "yet-to-named" network.

Sounds like the current smart money to earn that deal is either Fox or NBC (or NBC or Fox), which is expected to be something in the vicinity of an additional $200 million/season. So, you can do the math; that would roughly triple the current annual revenue take......though, when the original deal was signed, neither Vegas nor Seattle existed.

Evidently, CBS could be involved in the B package, but is considered a dark horse. One fly in the ointment is the Winter Classic, where NBC was always heavily involved with no New Year's Day football commitment (that ESPN will have). Presumably, that game will fall to the B package (though I myself don't know how committed Fox is to NYD bowl games).

FYI, that's still only a fraction what the NBA earns from their current ESPN and TBS (a combined $2.6-2.7 billion annually) deals. One more thing; the Athletic piece stated that Gary Bettman was thought to have been chasing (pre-pandemic) an annual deal(s) approaching $750 million/season; So, at an expected $600-620 miliion combined, Bettman came up a fair distance short of his original goal.

Also keep in mind that the listed NHL numbers do not include the League's current deal north of the border with Rogers Sports (12 years, $5.232 billion CDN).

I wonder what that does to the cap after attendance returns to normal?

Supposedly, the latest collective bargaining Agreement "uncoupled" hockey-related revenues from the salary cap. With revenues down on the order of $3 billion this season.....and with escrow debt rising to roughly $800 million.....and with debt repayment having to come from revenues......the cap reportedly will remain flat until that happens (which is expected to be at least 2 years). And one agent has supposedly told the Athletic that some teams think the cap may remain flat thru 2023/24.

Not that this has anything to do with last night's loss to the Broons.......but with Buffalo finally moving on from Ralph Krueger this morning, the NHLH morning show crew (and presumably others as the day today progresses) is focusing on their next move, which they figure may well go beyond finding a new HC.

While it's far too early for anyone to know exactly what they'll do, these guys are throwing around Jim Rutherford's name as a possible Director of Hockey Ops (or GM, I suppose) candidate . No clue if that'd be a good move for the Sabres; but for those who think the Sabres really need shaken up, I myself can't imagine a better bartender than JR.

And since Terry Pegula has hardly distinguished himself as a franchise leader, perhaps sticking a multiple-ring guy like JR in the middle of that soap opera makes some sense.......though if that's the case, you'd think Sabres fans better prepare for an earthquake.

Read this morning that former Pens' draftee Filip Gustavsson (traded in the 3-way which included Derrick Brassard) played for the first time with Ottawa the other night. He replaced the Sens' starter (who was replacing the injured Matt Murray), and made 8 saves (on 8 shots) after entering the game with Vancouver in the 3rd period.

The kid ended up losing the game in the 4th round of the SO.

see you later quitter.
I don't quit shit, I do leave it though cause the stink is too much....let's see how all this works out for you. My bet says dollars to donuts you get off on watching a bunch of ****ing lugheads beat the living tar out of somebody yet win nothing. I'll sit back and watch....the delicate genius brigade has been hands off. How much you wanna bet they attempt and yet drive them into the ground? That little win streak get you excited? This isn't their team yet. I can't ****ing wait.... pray they do NOTHING this year....3 or 4 years it'll be purgatory we'll go through your motions, then you come and chat. Be well meantime.

I don't quit shit, I do leave it though cause the stink is too much....let's see how all this works out for you. My bet says dollars to donuts you get off on watching a bunch of ****ing lugheads beat the living tar out of somebody yet win nothing. I'll sit back and watch....the delicate genius brigade has been hands off. How much you wanna bet they attempt and yet drive them into the ground? That little win streak get you excited? This isn't their team yet. I can't ****ing wait.... pray they do NOTHING this year....3 or 4 years it'll be purgatory we'll go through your motions, then you come and chat. Be well meantime.
i can't wait until they are bad, find out who the real fans are.

Reactions: torontoeers
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT