ADVERTISEMENT

PENS 2021 Season!!

Do or die my brothers. I have a good feeling about tonight. Jars will play his best game of the series, the PP will score at least once and the top line with 4 points...Pens 4-2 winners! Back to the Burg! Let’s Go Pens!!

Reactions: COOL MAN
I myself think Jarry can be a starter in this League....and perhaps a #1.....but the nervousness he's shown most of the series does put a serious crimp even in my own confidence in him (which appears greater than most everyone else around here) .

You'd like to think this is something on which experience would help him improve over time; but how much can a declining team afford to commit to him when he's personally (if not necessarily solely) costing them multiple games in a 7-game series ??

Meanwhile, assuming they go home tonight......and let's be honest, stranger things have happened in hockey than a Pens win in Game 6.......tomorrow will surely begin of one of the most interesting off-seasons this franchise has ever had.

I mean, there are only so many changes the team can make; but there's little doubt in my own mind there will be at least a major departure or two from the roster.

tristan jarry ends up being the biggest bum in pittsburgh sports history since derek bell.

And now the rebuild begins. Let’s start with dumping Sullivan, bringing in Tochett and molding the team into a tough, blue collar, scrappy team like the one that just kicked our asses.

We need to rid ourselves of the guys who disappear annually when the playoffs start and those unwilling to sacrifice their bodies and souls for Lord Stanley’s Cup. Let’s add a clutch, playoff tested goalie and some size and strength on the blue line. Let’s ship out yesterday’s stars and their contracts and start to rebuild with youth and a new enthusiasm. Bye Geno. Bye Tanger. Bye Rusty. Bye Dumoluin. Bye Petts. And dare I say it but if the Canadiens are willing to pay a kings ransom bye Sid. Thanks for the memories but holding on to the past won’t bring us a bright future.

Reactions: Irwineer2
And now the rebuild begins. Let’s start with dumping Sullivan, bringing in Tochett and molding the team into a tough, blue collar, scrappy team like the one that just kicked our asses.

We need to rid ourselves of the guys who disappear annually when the playoffs start and those unwilling to sacrifice their bodies and souls for Lord Stanley’s Cup. Let’s add a clutch, playoff tested goalie and some size and strength on the blue line. Let’s ship out yesterday’s stars and their contracts and start to rebuild with youth and a new enthusiasm. Bye Geno. Bye Tanger. Bye Rusty. Bye Dumoluin. Bye Petts. And dare I say it but if the Canadiens are willing to pay a kings ransom bye Sid. Thanks for the memories but holding on to the past won’t bring us a bright future.
Add guentzel. He cant play big boy hockey either.

Question #1: Who will be in the Pens' cage for Game 1 next season ?? Gimme some names........

Question #1: Who will be in the Pens' cage for Game 1 next season ?? Gimme some names........

Jesus Fleury? Lol! If Sorokin is the Isles guy going forward would Varlamov be available? I need to research and see what goalies are UFA’s.

extreme-shooter-tutor-tarps-targets-1__03761.1608079250.jpg

Jesus Fleury? Lol! If Sorokin is the Isles guy going forward would Varlamov be available? I need to research and see what goalies are UFA’s.
For the record, Fleury isn't a FA (though he'll be in the last year of his $7 million/year contract). As for Varlamov, he's still got 2 years to go on his $5 million/year deal.

The first name that came to mind for my question actually wasn't Fleury, but Robin Lehner. But only 1 year into his current 5/$25 deal, I doubt that Vegas will move him with Jesus hitting the finish line after next season at 37 1/2. That leaves me with one other initial thought.....

Assuming (for a moment) they could get Florida to maintain 33-50% of his deal.......and I'm not predicting that can/will happen.......how would you guys feel about the Pens' taking a major flyer (at $5-6.5 million a year) on Sergei Bobrovsky ??? I can promise you the Panthers will listen to anyone seriously willing to consider taking him off their hands. Oh, and I'm not saying I want him; I'm just throwing out a name.

Scanning the League rosters on Cap Friendly, some other names I'll throw out there as possible/theoretical acquisition candidates: Frederik Andersen (UFA), Ben Bishop (LTIR, 2/$10 left on his current deal), Braden Holtby (1/$4.3 left), Tuukka Rask (UFA), Jaro Halak (UFA), Phillip Grubauer (UFA), Devan Dubnyk (UFA), Brian Elliott (UFA), Antti Raanta (UFA), Carter Hutton (UFA), Linus Ullmark (UFA), James Reimer (UFA), Petr Mrazek (UFA), Jonathan Bernier (UFA), Jonathan Quick (2/$11.6)

For the record, Fleury isn't a FA (though he'll be in the last year of his $7 million/year contract). As for Varlamov, he's still got 2 years to go on his $5 million/year deal.

The first name that came to mind for my question actually wasn't Fleury, but Robin Lehner. But only 1 year into his current 5/$25 deal, I doubt that Vegas will move him with Jesus hitting the finish line after next season at 37 1/2. That leaves me with one other initial thought.....

Assuming (for a moment) they could get Florida to maintain 33-50% of his deal.......and I'm not predicting that can/will happen.......how would you guys feel about the Pens' taking a major flyer (at $5-6.5 million a year) on Sergei Bobrovsky ??? I can promise you the Panthers will listen to anyone seriously willing to consider taking him off their hands. Oh, and I'm not saying I want him; I'm just throwing out a name.

Scanning the League rosters on Cap Friendly, some other names I'll throw out there as possible/theoretical acquisition candidates: Frederik Andersen (UFA), Ben Bishop (LTIR, 2/$10 left on his current deal), Braden Holtby (1/$4.3 left), Tuukka Rask (UFA), Jaro Halak (UFA), Phillip Grubauer (UFA), Devan Dubnyk (UFA), Brian Elliott (UFA), Antti Raanta (UFA), Carter Hutton (UFA), Linus Ullmark (UFA), James Reimer (UFA), Petr Mrazek (UFA), Jonathan Bernier (UFA), Jonathan Quick (2/$11.6)

Thanks for compiling that list Cool Man. The first name that jumps off that list to me is Rask. Not sure we’ll have the cap space though. Another guy I’d be interested in but don’t see on your list is Pekka Rinne. I believe his deal is up and I don’t see Nashville resigning him.

I always enjoy seeing a team from Pittsburgh being eliminated. Sorry guys

anyone else see fluery give up 3 goals in the 3rd period of an elimination game last night?

best part of my day.

Thanks for compiling that list Cool Man. The first name that jumps off that list to me is Rask. Not sure we’ll have the cap space though. Another guy I’d be interested in but don’t see on your list is Pekka Rinne. I believe his deal is up and I don’t see Nashville resigning him.
Rinne is definitely a FA......I myself just didn't consider/view him as a solution to the Pens precise problem, though I might feel different if they were looking for a short term #2 rather than a #1. I also haven't heard if he's seriously considering playing anywhere other than Nashville.

Rinne is definitely a FA......I myself just didn't consider/view him as a solution to the Pens precise problem, though I might feel different if they were looking for a short term #2 rather than a #1. I also haven't heard if he's seriously considering playing anywhere other than Nashville.
Rinne is the only current predator with any sentimental value. He has had a good career for the Preds but he can't play a whole season at this point. He is good for a spot start here and there but that's about it.

Would you be willing to dump Sid? Face it the guy didn't do sh$t. He was minus 3 last night. Beauvillier skated around him like his skates were glued to the ice.

• Haha
Reactions: Irwineer2
The Penguins problems go beyond goaltending. They need a philosophical change. The last 3 years their defense has been exposed in the playoffs. They have done very little to address these deficiencies. They keep adding players like they are building around a 24 year old Sidney Crosby. Crosby is going to be 34 by the time next season starts. He is still a good player but not a generational super star like he was 10 years ago . His best chance of getting another cup would be by implementing a defensive type system were Crosby would be used more as a positional type player. Crosby still has good Hockey sense and good hand eye coordination to deflect passes. What he can't do anymore is blow by defenders. Especially in the playoffs when it counts. The Nelson Beauvillier and Bailey line exposed him in game 6. The Penguins should part ways with Sullivan. Sullivan is a good coach but his system is more suited for a younger Crosby not a 34 year old Crosby. Plus Barry Trotz isn't going anywhere any time soon and Trotz is Mike Sullivan's Kryptonite.

Would you be willing to dump Sid? Face it the guy didn't do sh$t. He was minus 3 last night. Beauvillier skated around him like his skates were glued to the ice.
Crosby.....for good or bad.....isn't going anywhere; as long as Mario is the owner, he's absolutely never going to be treated in the manner Pocklington treated Gretzky . Plus, like Geno and Letang, it's way too late to move him for any kind of return anyway.

As for his legs, what 34 year old in this League (including Letang) is going to win a foot race with a speedboat like Beauvillier ?? Crosby isn't (and hasn't been for some time) about open ice anymore; he's more about corners/behind the goal and his mind/vision. Plus, I'm still 100% convinced......after keeping the team afloat during the entire middle part of the season......he played most of the last month of the regular season (and this series) with a bone-dry tank.

And that was apart from any injuries he came in with (or endured)......

Still wondering when Hexy and Burkie will go public with a post-season PC/statement.

No real reason, I suppose, to rush to the podium before the locker room has empied out.....today, supposedly. But they've both (Burkie, in particular) been far quieter since arriving in town than I myself would have expected. Not sure, but I've been thinking/assuming that might be in deference to Mario's public style/persona.......and perhaps, to a lesser extent, Sid.

Meanwhile, I was reading a Facebook thread last night about the end of the Pens' season......and in scanning the comments, I was pleasantly surprised to see someone posting with a Flying WV hat; which. lo and behold, turned out to be our old buddy t sharing his opinions about Burkie. One thing I'll say for ol' t.....and whether one agrees/disagrees with him......he's absolutely 100% consistent and unwavering in his position on JB.

If you happen to be reading this thread, t, good to see you're still alive and kickin'........

Crosby.....for good or bad.....isn't going anywhere; as long as Mario is the owner, he's absolutely never going to be treated in the manner Pocklington treated Gretzky . Plus, like Geno and Letang, it's way too late to move him for any kind of return anyway.

As for his legs, what 34 year old in this League (including Letang) is going to win a foot race with a speedboat like Beauvillier ?? Crosby isn't (and hasn't been for some time) about open ice anymore; he's more about corners/behind the goal and his mind/vision. Plus, I'm still 100% convinced......after keeping the team afloat during the entire middle part of the season......he played most of the last month of the regular season (and this series) with a bone-dry tank.

are the pens going to let them play out their contracts and walk or do they try to get some sort of return? that seems to be the debate. you are correct they won't provide a kings ransom but making some changes now may benefit sid and the franchise better than if you wait a year...

they found they can live without geno this year. i say rip the fvckin band aid off.

however with the pressure to sell tickets, I don't see them moving either one :(

are the pens going to let them play out their contracts and walk or do they try to get some sort of return? that seems to be the debate. you are correct they won't provide a kings ransom but making some changes now may benefit sid and the franchise better than if you wait a year...

they found they can live without geno this year. i say rip the fvckin band aid off.

however with the pressure to sell tickets, I don't see them moving either one :(
From what I can glean, the team's current intent......the loss versus the NYI not withstanding.....is to try and resign both Geno and Letang for 2022 (and possibly beyond) at their number, whatever that means.

A concurrent issue appears to be the evidently quiet commitment ownership has to the Big 3.....and they in return......to keep the band together as lifelong Penguins. I also think it's absolutely impossible to overstate ownership's belief that the Big 3 has to remain on the squad for pure ticket-selling purposes.

As I often say; whether you think it's good idea to keep them together after next year.....and there's no doubt in my mind all three will be dressed with the Pens for Game #1 next season......is up to you. I myself would have begun the teardown two years ago, and absolutely unquestionably after last year.

I also freely admit to being a forward (rather than reverse) looker........easy, sitting 300 milles from the PPGP Arena.......because I've seen how a failure (or unwillingness) to look forward (DET, LAK, CHI) can/will eventually result. But Rutherford clearly was never asked by his bosses to look toward the future; and we don't know how much they're going to ask that of Hexy and Burkie (at least over the next couple years).

Meanwhile, aside the Big 3, this really isn't an old team; and we don't know to what extent ownership believes Jake, Rusty, Dumo, Marino, KK, Tanev, still probably Jarry (and perhaps a few others) represent a reasonable ongoing core for life after Sid/Geno/Tanger.

I know the Penguins would never get rid of Crosby but he always seems to get a free pass. People like to jump all over Malkin but Malkin was more noticeable then sid was in the playoffs. If crosby was out of gas at the end of the season that doesn't say much considering this was a 56 game season and not an 82 game season. The Penguins need a philosophical change. They need to start building from the blue line out.

Reactions: WVRON
Been wondering the past few days how Casey DeSmith has been feeling......of course, no way to know if he'd have showed better, worse, or the same in Round 1 as Jarry. But it seems to me he could have positioned himself as #1 coming into camp next season had he successfully saved the team's cookies versus the NYI..... .

But, I guess THAT water is pretty far under the bridge by now.......

Well, judging from Hexy's (and Burkie's) comments the other day, it doesn't sound as though any major changes will happen this summer. Maybe that's a good idea and maybe that's not, but it's seems pretty clear to me now this team will look much more in 21/22 like this past year's team than we might have expected a week ago.

Aside the old/established names, I really have no clue who will be the last couple players to make the expansion Draft protected list. To me, the most difficult one to assess remains Carter; who, on one hand, would figure to be the first guy to erase from the protected list.....and on the other, seems as logical to protect as almost anyone else on the roster.

Regardless, I absolutely want them to protect Tanev.......wil leave it to the powers that be to decide the rest (though I'm hoping/assuming Teddy is also protected). Trying to decide if they'll protect Matheson......my gut feel is they'll leave him unprotected (perhaps as opposed to Carter), and they'll be (more or less) OK with it if he's not picked.

Finally, I wonder if they actually might leave Jarry unprotected in favor of DeSmith......I'd consider that a pretty big shock; but coming off the playoffs, who knows how much his personal reputation has been damaged.

Well, judging from Hexy's (and Burkie's) comments the other day, it doesn't sound as though any major changes will happen this summer. Maybe that's a good idea and maybe that's not, but it's seems pretty clear to me now this team will look much more in 21/22 like this past year's team than we might have expected a week ago.

Aside the old/established names, I really have no clue who will be the last couple players to make the expansion Draft protected list. To me, the most difficult one to assess remains Carter; who, on one hand, would figure to be the first guy to erase from the protected list.....and on the other, seems as logical to protect as almost anyone else on the roster.

Regardless, I absolutely want them to protect Tanev.......wil leave it to the powers that be to decide the rest (though I'm hoping/assuming Teddy is also protected). Trying to decide if they'll protect Matheson......my gut feel is they'll leave him unprotected (perhaps as opposed to Carter), and they'll be (more or less) OK with it if he's not picked.

Finally, I wonder if they actually might leave Jarry unprotected in favor of DeSmith......I'd consider that a pretty big shock; but coming off the playoffs, who knows how much his personal reputation has been damaged.
i'm so disappointed in burke and hextall. I'm never going to get my wish.

ADVERTISEMENT