ADVERTISEMENT

Pens 2017/18 Drop the puck! October.

Scott Wilson and a #3 to Detroit for Riley Sheahan and a #5 is now complete (after the Wings finally sign Athanasiou today).

Pretty ugly 1st; Bolts get every possible good break a team can get in a single period.......Vasilevskiy makes an amazing save on Hags that could have turned around the game.....and the Pens defense plays the last 2 seconds in front of Niemi like they have money on Tampa tonight. This game could be another ugly one like Chicago.

Looks like I'll be focusing on the Mountaineers tonight.....

Pretty ugly 1st; Bolts get every possible good break a team can get in a single period.......Vasilevskiy makes an amazing save on Hags that could have turned around the game.....and the Pens defense plays the last 2 seconds in front of Niemi like they have money on Tampa tonight. This game could be another ugly one like Chicago.

Looks like I'll be focusing on the Mountaineers tonight.....

Accurate call there

I know a lot of fans are complaining about the back to back games (3 now in 3 weeks) and I won't argue the stupidity of the schedule. Florida went on the road and beat the Caps last night in game 2 of their back to back. Teams can and do win these games. But what I am seeing, and I admit I watched little of last night's game after the first, is that the Pens just don't give a damn on some nights. Maybe they know Neimi isn't going to stop anything and therefore don't get into the game? Maybe they just figure they don't need to expend energy this early in the season? Who knows but the lack of effort some nights just bothers me.

Now what does GMJR do with Antti Niemi?

HCMS called the Pens "a flawed hockey team" in the post game, and I think that's pretty accurate. WAY too many penalties, WAY too many defensive lapses, and a VERY rough early schedule have conspired to generate serious questions as to what's going on. And their goaltending as a group, even including Murray, has been something less than good.

But something is probably going to have to be done before too long with what appears to be a problem when Niemi is in the cage. It's no secret he's only played thus far in the second game of back-to-backers, and the simple fact that his team has been a total no-show in two of them. But even a backup in the NHL is expected to pick up his team at times, and Niemi hasn't been close in either one.

That said, if the team thinks Niemi is a losing proposition, then they either need to release him RIGHT NOW, or else GMJR needs to start tearing up contracts. Still, a VERY good Tampa team on the road in the second of back-to-backers TWICE in less than 10 days is a friggin joke; shows me that SOMEBODY in the scheduling Department was trying jam the Penguins up this year.

But, even a VERY hot Bolts team isn't THAT much better than the Pens, anymore than the Black Hawks were. Maybe Niemi WAS a bad idea; if so, it's easy enough to flush him for another journeyman scrub backup, or one of the System prospects. But the back-to-backers aren't going away, and the team obviously can't afford to lose those 19 games (all of which obviously won't be as tough as these first three).

Not sure this is exactly a crisis on a mega-veteran team; but the 2-time defending Champs wouldn't seem to have justification to explain away two complete no-shows in the first 10 games on the goaltender (or the schedule).

What is your assessment of this trade?

Granted I'm feeling a bit down about the team this morning, which probably colors my current opinion. But I have a feeling Sheahan (who I was in favor of trading for entering the season) isn't going to deliver significantly more than McKegg and Rowney. I just hope he can win faceoffs......an area where the team misses (in particular) Matt Cullen.....and can help a PK unit struggling with overuse.

I also liked Wilson on the 4th line; he's a journeyman, but at least he brought it every time he stepped on the ice. And that counts for something on a team currently dealing with effort problems.

Reactions: torontoeers
Granted I'm feeling a bit down about the team this morning, which probably colors my current opinion. But I have a feeling Sheahan (who I was in favor of trading for entering the season) isn't going to deliver significantly more than McKegg and Rowney. I just hope he can win faceoffs......an area where the team misses (in particular) Matt Cullen.....and can help a PK unit struggling with overuse.

I also liked Wilson on the 4th line; he's a journeyman, but at least he brought it every time he stepped on the ice. And that counts for something on a team currently dealing with effort problems.

I'm with you here. You know I can be awfully hard on Sid when he figure skates around for 60 minutes. Even worse when he starts planting himself in the box. Back in the mid 80s I lived in Alexandria VA and probably attended 60-75 Caps games over 3 seasons. Rod Langway was the captain then. He brought it every game. Even at the end of career when he sucked, nobody questioned his effort. I loved watching him play. The game is different now. The players generally play harder each game, more travel, and the players are bigger and faster. I don't expect anyone to go 100% each game but on the other hand I don't expect games like the Hawk game and last night when the team doesn't care. Like I said, maybe it is the total lack,of confidence in Neimi. Who knows but the effort level from this team is low right now.

Since it's unlikely anyone will claim him on waivers, Team evidently wants Niemi to accept assignment WB/S in order to earn the $700K cap relief. Ironically, the team perhaps most likely to claim him is said to be Vegas, with both Flower and Malcolm Subban now on IR. But I myself would be surprised (no, shocked) if that happens.

Not sure what happens if Niemi declines the assignment; if so, I suppose he's in violation of his contract and it's voided. But why he'd decline with $700K on the line.....aside the fact he likely wants no part of WB/S at this point in his career.....is something I wouldn't understand.

Meanwhile, I've read that Jarry has not played all that well early in the season......save % of .883 in 3 games thus far.....while Casey DeYoung has evidently been great (.965 in 3 games, with no GA in regulation time). But he's never played in the NHL....and Jarry has only played one game himself.....so I don't know how ideal either would be viewed as a replacement

I'm with you here. You know I can be awfully hard on Sid when he figure skates around for 60 minutes. Even worse when he starts planting himself in the box.

His misconduct on Saturday night has been quite the story around the League. But possibly the single best take on the issue came from a Flyers site where the writer claims Sid has a "God complex" and should be suspended......possibly (and justifiably) for the rest of the season.....to teach him a lesson.

Cement-heads are obviously alive and well among Flyers fans.

Reactions: torontoeers
His misconduct on Saturday night has been quite the story around the League. But possibly the single best take on the issue came from a Flyers site where the writer claims Sid has a "God complex" and should be suspended......possibly (and justifiably) for the rest of the season.....to teach him a lesson.

Cement-heads are obviously alive and well among Flyers fans.
LMFAO!!! PRICELESS!

I avoided Saturday nights game in favour of the Baylor game after the first...evidently the correct decision...I almost blew a gasket late however re: the goings on in Waco...yes Waco almost drove me Whako...along with the news of a stinker in Tampa.
Off to meet #66 tonight boys! Nervous nelly here lol...

Reactions: COOL MAN
Eric Fehr on waivers...do we take a flyer on him? I liked his presence (at times) but likely not what we need...now.

With Sheahan on the roster, I there's no longer a fit for him (nor the cap room). Meanwhile, DeYoung gets the call from WB/S to replace Niemi.

I'm wondering if GMJR has placed a call to the Kings to see what they'd charge for Jeff Zatkoff. Can't imagine their sale price would be that high, with JZ (I think) currently in the minors. And he'd probably be making League minimum.

Of course, it's fair question to ask if JZ is legitimately a better solution than DeYoung.....but at least the guy's been in the NHL (and GMJR obviously knows him well).

With Sheahan on the roster, I there's no longer a fit for him (nor the cap room). Meanwhile, DeYoung gets the call from WB/S to replace Niemi.
Ok CM and others...here's some feedback I received last night over a beer with Friedman, which was pretty cool indeed!

He feels the Pens are going with one of the 2 young guys as backup for the foreseeable future.
2nd, and this one raised my eybrows significantly...He feels pretty strongly that Kessel will be traded before the deadline and possibly quite soon! The Pens want Duchesne badly apparently and if trading Phil opens up the room they will happily do it...
In discussing #81 he said he's obviously quite the enigma...if Phil is asked to spend more time in the gym the answer is as we know 'nope', however if requested to do any sort of charity work he happily obliges...in fact Frieds said he can think of no other current player in the league who does more for charitable causes than 81, and he insists on no recognition for it...as much as I can get on him for being lax at times, I was thouroughly impressed to hear of his charitable endeavors. Well done Phil...
[thumb2]

Heard that Antti Niemi was claimed by Florida.....which shocks me almost beyond belief.

Wtf? I thought it was Bobby Lou that was concussed? Apparently it was actually Dale Tallon....

Heh heh......you're on a roll, t :smiley: BTW, for the record, Bobby Lou hurt his hand/wrist against the Pens last Friday night.

Meanwhile, was listening to NHLN Radio today, and they were scratching their talking heads about this signing as well. Scott Laughlin apparently connected with someone with the Panthers who supposedly indicated their top prospects in the minors were very young and not even close to being ready for the League. So, Niemi gets to backup Jimmy Reimer now.

Aside my earlier comments about Jeff Zatkoff, I was wondering about Anders Lindback.....after I looked at his stats, he doesn't look any better than Niemi (and arguably worse). Oh, and there was much discussion as to why NBCSN was showing the Red Wings at Sabres rather than Oil at Pens. Apparently, the US networks (and the League) have made a decision to avoid......after so many Crosby vs Ovechkin broadcasts in the past......televised games based on individual matchups. So, no Conner vs Sid tonight.

How, of course, they figure the Dead Wings at Buffalo are an attractive matchup for anyone outside Detroit and Buffalo is something nobody can explain. Unfortunately, I'm in Louisville tonight.....at a hotel with NBCSN on the cable. Guess I'll listen to the radio broadcast and hope for highlights on NBCSN.

As for Friedman's revelation on Duchene, I still wonder exactly what GMJR can/will give to Sakic to make this kind of deal happen. They don't have the defenseman to give, unless they're willing to move Justin Schultz (and I don't know if that's a good idea anyway). Additionally, if there's any smoke to this fire, I have to assume GMJR already figures he can move Kessel to Arizona.

Like many Pens fans (I think)..... but I know not all of them, OM.......I've grown to understand Kessel's act. He's simply what he is, and therefore just doesn't bother me as much anymore when he disappears because I just flat like the sonavabitch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT