ADVERTISEMENT

Penguins Offseason: 2018

Hockey and women.....always a nice combination. Anyway, from Pensburgh, said to be a photo from Brian Dumoulin's wedding this past weekend. From L to R, I think I see Sheary, Dumo, Sid, Schultzie, and Kunitz at the top right......not sure who that is to right of Schultz, nor the guy with the beard right down front holding the drink.

Meanwhile, I gotta admit I wonder when in the hell Sid is finally going to give his GF a ring......from what I know, they've been together a pretty long time.. Doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who's still out there looking.....

Capture.JPG

Reactions: torontoeers
Hockey and women.....always a nice combination. Anyway, from Pensburgh, said to be a photo from Brian Dumoulin's wedding this past weekend. From L to R, I think I see Sheary, Dumo, Sid, Schultzie, and Kunitz at the top right......not sure who that is to right of Schultz, nor the guy with the beard right down front holding the drink.

Meanwhile, I gotta admit I wonder when in the hell Sid is finally going to give his GF a ring......from what I know, they've been together a pretty long time.. Doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who's still out there looking.....

Capture.JPG

smh.

Reactions: DocEER
Well, the mystery is solved (if I'd have only read the text of the Pensburgh post first); holding the drink down front is Scott Wilson, and the fellow over Schulzie's left ear is Ian Cole...... (not sure I can recall ever seeing him without a long beard).

Capture.JPG
Sid plays for the other team. That’s a token piece.

good stuff right here.

I don't know anything about him being gay but the guy still wears his first jock, he'll probably hang on to his first vagina as well.

Hmmm, gotta' think about that for a little while......Lord knows, I've never come up with any other rationale why he wouldn't be married to that blonde by now.

She is a hottie imo...
hot%2Bwife%2Bof%2Bsydney.jpg

From what I've read about this gal, she's been a successful model for a number of years.

I don't want to believe Sid plays "for the other team"....,.and I'll thank Doc for stating it in that manner......but, anecdotally speaking, hockey players just seem largely to be married by the time they're 30 (especially if they've had reasonably long-term gal pals). Who knows, maybe she just doesn't want to live in Pittsburgh; I'm pretty sure she's a DC-area girl, which might explain how Doc is clued in. With that in mind, I believe that while Sid still considers Coal Harbour to be his primary residence, he's owned at least two homes I'm aware of in Pittsburgh.

But hell, even Ovechkin got married (I think) last year. And everyone knows Geno has a child, though I don't believe he's married to the child's mother. However, I'm fairly sure they live together as a couple. Meanwhile, to put a wrap on this particular piece of unrequested (and possibly, unwanted) gossip....and not that this has to do with anything.....I'm pretty sure everyone's favorite hockey son, Jonny Toews, also remains single (as his is eternally delinquent....though perhaps he's finally beginning to grow up a little bit.....pal, Patty Kane).

From what I've read about this gal, she's been a successful model for a number of years.

I don't want to believe Sid plays "for the other team"....,.and I'll thank Doc for stating it in that manner......but, anecdotally speaking, hockey players just seem largely to be married by the time they're 30 (especially if they've had reasonably long-term gal pals). Who knows, maybe she just doesn't want to live in Pittsburgh; I'm pretty sure she's a DC-area girl, which might explain how Doc is clued in. With that in mind, I believe that while Sid still considers Coal Harbour to be his primary residence, he's owned at least two homes I'm aware of in Pittsburgh.

But hell, even Ovechkin got married (I think) last year. And everyone knows Geno has a child, though I don't believe he's married to the child's mother. However, I'm fairly sure they live together as a couple. Meanwhile, to put a wrap on this particular piece of unrequested (and possibly, unwanted) gossip....and not that this has to do with anything.....I'm pretty sure everyone's favorite hockey son, Jonny Toews, also remains single (as his is eternally delinquent....though perhaps he's finally beginning to grow up a little bit.....pal, Patty Kane).
Ya, I think she went to UVA if I remember correctly...it is a bit odd, since from what we see most hockey players tend to marry fairly young all things considered...

On a side note I think this offseason in terms of both hockey and football seems about the longest ever right now...I'm getting rather bored with baseball, tennis, golf and the like at this point. The WVU/Vols game can't come soon enough imo...

The following is from today's Trib Review regarding candidates to play Sid's RW:

THE QUESTION

Which right wing will see the most time on the top line alongside Jake Guentzel and Sidney Crosby?

A. Patric Hornqvist

When Guentzel and Crosby were pouring in goals during the playoffs, Hornqvist was their right wing. His hard-nosed game and net-front presence are a good complement for skilled players. However, he doesn’t have the speed or give-and-go game that Crosby likes in his linemates. His shot-attempt percentage with Crosby last year (54.3) was the worst among the top four candidates for the job. When they were on the ice together five on five, the Penguins were outscored, 9-8.

B. Dominik Simon

A crafty winger with a history of playing with top players, Simon’s style meshes well with Crosby. The pair reportedly trained together in Nova Scotia in the offseason. Their numbers playing together at five on five last season (60.6 shot-attempt percentage, 13-8 scoring advantage) were the best among the top candidates. On the other hand, Simon wasn’t consistent in his first NHL trial last season, especially in the playoffs. If Simon, a lefty, plays on the right wing, it creates a righty logjam further down the lineup card.

C. Daniel Sprong

Sprong has massive natural goal-scoring talent. He was on Crosby’s line during the captain’s most dominant offensive performance of the regular season, a 4-0 win over the Islanders on Jan. 5. Sprong, though, isn’t good defensively, which could make Crosby spend too much of his time worrying about being the responsible one on the line.

D. Bryan Rust

Rust has the speed Crosby likes on his wing and consistently does the chores like defending, forechecking and digging pucks out of the corner that skill lines need to get done. But Crosby’s creativity is light years ahead of Rust’s, which can create a styles clash. Given the surplus of right-handed shooters on the roster, Rust might be needed on the left.

E. None of the above

The Penguins haven’t tried Phil Kessel with Crosby in a while. … If Derick Brassard is going to see some time on the wing, why not right wing? … Coach Mike Sullivan tries to avoid asking inexperienced players to switch to their off wing, but Aston-Reese showed some chemistry with Crosby during a brief trial last season.

THE PREDICTION

B. Dominik Simon

It’s one of the greatest conundrums related to Crosby’s game. On one hand, he’s willing and able to elevate lesser talents on his wings, which creates dangerous balance on the team’s other lines. On the other hand, doesn’t one of the greatest players in the history of the game deserve as much talent on his wings as a team can possibly provide? Ultimately, Crosby and Guentzel need a third wheel who can play a smart game and do the little things right. Simon fits that description better than Hornqvist or Sprong. Also, the numbers Crosby and Simon put up together in 244 five-on-five minutes last year were really strong. Sullivan knows that.

Keep up with the Pittsburgh Penguins all season long.

Jonathan Bombulie is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Jonathan at jbombulie@tribweb.com or via Twitter @BombulieTrib.
From what I can tell from the peanut gallery, Simon seems to have a fair number of fans among those close to the team......while I freely admit I myself am nowhere near that big a fan of the kid. Not saying he doesn't work hard and doesn't mind his P's and Q's; but I myself just haven't seen much with my own eyes indicating he's got business anywhere near the 1st line (let alone be part of a Top 6). I mean, is anyone else aware of this "craftiness" Simon has that Bombuile references ??

I'm not saying that Bombulie doesn't know what he's talking about.....because I know for a fact I don't know what I'm talking about. But am I the only one who wouldn't be excited about making this kind of commitment to a kid like Simon with two far more legitimate (if less than ideal) pros like Horndog and Rusty.....plus the franchise's consensus best prospect (Sprong).....waiting in the wings ???

At the end of the day, I suspect Sid will end up making his own decision on who he wants on the right side......

Ya, I think she went to UVA if I remember correctly...it is a bit odd, since from what we see most hockey players tend to marry fairly young all things considered...

On a side note I think this offseason in terms of both hockey and football seems about the longest ever right now...I'm getting rather bored with baseball, tennis, golf and the like at this point. The WVU/Vols game can't come soon enough imo...

Hey t, I just looked at the final 17/18 OHL standings, and saw the Petes didn't even make the playoffs (which we both know isn't easy to do). I seemed to vaguely recall they were doing at least OK in the middle of last season; did they simply drop dead and lose something like, oh, 21 of their last 25 games ??

When that happens in the OHL, what happens to the attendance ?? Do the locals still turn out even if the kids are losing.....because that's just what Pete fans are bred to do......or do they stay home like in any other league (or game) ??

Meanwhile, I see the Otters started paying back the McDavid years in pretty decent fashion last season.....are they destined to stink (more or less) for the next couple seasons for that reason ??

Hey t, I just looked at the final 17/18 OHL standings, and saw the Petes didn't even make the playoffs (which we both know isn't easy to do). I seemed to vaguely recall they were doing at least OK in the middle of last season; did they simply drop dead and lose something like, oh, 21 of their last 25 games ??

When that happens in the OHL, what happens to the attendance ?? Do the locals still turn out even if the kids are losing.....because that's just what Pete fans are bred to do......or do they stay home like in any other league (or game) ??

Meanwhile, I see the Otters started paying back the McDavid years in pretty decent fashion last season.....are they destined to stink (more or less) for the next couple seasons for that reason ??
Well...where to begin lol....re: The Otters , they have definitely taken a step back in order imo to re-load for next year. They traded imo their best in Radyssh off to the Soo for prospects, they did have one of the best GM's in the biz with Sherry Bassin till McDavid left and also imo that was Bassin's nucleus that went to the Mem Cup again in 2017. The thing that did surprise me was the arena was essentially empty the game I saw there on a Sunday afternoon last November. I remember them having bigtime attendance issues back around 2011-12 before McD arrived on scene, so if not expediant in bringing a good team they may be in trouble again financially.
And your Peterborough Petes :frown: ....to say this is at least point of significant crossroads if not perhaps imminent disaster would be an understatement imo...
Fired the coach (Jody Hull) toward end of last season, thus imo the resultant landslide from a playoff spot to laughingstock.
This April they didn't just draft big, they drafted MASSIVE. This is without question an effort to throw back significant weight against the midsized but as you've heard before from me low down dirty dirtbag Gens. I suppose I could easily equate this rival to the Cryers over the years or perhaps more recently the Blojax, however IMO they are dirtier than both combined. Not sure it will work but at least I may get to see some dirty Gen or two get drilled all over the ice in the future.
Anyway get this...the first round pick 3rd overall Cuylle out of the Marlboros system said he WOULD NOT report if they drafted him...well wtf let's pick him anyway eh ?!? This has the faithful including myself basically apoplectic, as the kid (or more likely his parents) aren't bending on signing...I am inclined to believe if his rights aren't traded soon he'll likely go NCAA the following year.
Next pick 2nd round was 6 ft 4 highly skilled winger Cameron Butler, scouts and talking heads loved the pick as do I.
Rd 3 had a Murray monster 6ft 4' sized netminder Austin out of Kanata. My cousin has seen him play and says he is quite athletic for a BIG guy that covers the net. He'll be needed a year down the road as our guy Wells was drafted by Edmonton and with their issues would not surprise me if he at least makes an appearance on their farm some point this year.
Rest of the draft is here for your perusal
https://www.thepeterboroughexaminer...petes-add-size-skill-through-ohl-draft-picks/

Lastly, the arena conundrum...The Mem Centre is old, albeit has had recent upgrades, and I personally LOVE the charm of the place. Many do not and are still hoping for a new state of the art facility a la Oshawa, London, Windsor...fact is the community (and Petes are still community owned) is too small to support such a venture imo. The current facility seats around 4100 and at times it is full, however the usual Thursday night crowds (imo most consistent draw) is usually around the 2500-2800 mark for attendance. Not great but not horrific. Attendance doesnt tend to fluctuate that much in The Borough though, it is fairly consistent even in a bad season like last year. It remains to be seen if that will remain the case.
If you can't come close to selling out 4100 on a home night Thursday, how does one expect to fill a (imo minimum) 6000 seat arena? Bottom line is winning is paramount and the kids you draft? Well, you might just want them to acctually report...sigh....
Hard to fathom a team with arguably the most history in the OHL moving...but rumblings are starting to happen.
Anyway, enough of my sordid, sorry rambling. Hope that gives ya a lowdown...

Reactions: COOL MAN
so I guess kessel will play with malkin this year. great to see this franchise consistently acquiescing to star players demands. at least they are consistent.

Update for ya CM if interested...
https://www.thepeterboroughexaminer...expected-at-peterborough-petes-training-camp/
I won't harp on about the kid or his parents choices as it is their choice, and they are free to do as they like...however the Petes are really pulling out all the stops to try and get this guy on board to no avail. They even brought in alum old man Gainey as advisor and relations, who is apparently giving it a go to convince the kid. I figured he would go NCAA if they didn't trade him but did not know he already committed to Ped State...not sure if it is verbal or signed? Anyway it doesn't look promising...as I said earlier, why draft him GM Oke, when he explicitly said NO THANKS before the draft...trade this asset and admit fault before we get NOTHING.

Tell me about the dynamics of the OHL (or for that matter, the Q or WHL) as it applies to the Draft, t. I didn't realize draftee kids told teams publicly not to Draft them; is this old news in Juniors, or is this a new phenomenon ??

Regarding the Cuylle kid specifically, does he (for whatever reason) happen to have a stronger preference for playing US college hockey rather than MJ, or is this simply his way of using Penn State as the hammer to remove the Petes from his MJ equation ?? Said another way, would he be more likely to play in the O next season had he been selected by somebody more personally desirable (oh like, I dunno, maybe London) ??

I mean, you have a kid like Conner McDavid.....who, I see, is from Richmond Hill just north of Toronto.....who (evidently) had no trouble signing with Erie after being drafted by the Otters. Assuming CM was a better prospect coming out of (I guess) bantam than Cuyllle, I'm trying to understand potential comparisons between the two kids.

Would Erie be considered a "better" organization (or location) than a place like Peterborough....was McDavid just a more open-minded kid (or did he have more open minded parents) at 16 than Cuylle......or did McDavid simply decide not use the US colleges as a leverage tool ??

Tell me about the dynamics of the OHL (or for that matter, the Q or WHL) as it applies to the Draft, t. I didn't realize draftee kids told teams publicly not to Draft them; is this old news in Juniors, or is this a new phenomenon ??

Regarding the Cuylle kid specifically, does he (for whatever reason) happen to have a stronger preference for playing US college hockey rather than MJ, or is this simply his way of using Penn State as the hammer to remove the Petes from his MJ equation ?? Said another way, would he be more likely to play in the O next season had he been selected by somebody more personally desirable (oh like, I dunno, maybe London) ??

I mean, you have a kid like Conner McDavid.....who, I see, is from Richmond Hill just north of Toronto.....who (evidently) had no trouble signing with Erie after being drafted by the Otters. Assuming CM was a better prospect coming out of (I guess) bantam than Cuyllle, I'm trying to understand potential comparisons between the two kids.

Would Erie be considered a "better" organization (or location) than a place like Peterborough....was McDavid just a more open-minded kid (or did he have more open minded parents) at 16 than Cuylle......or did McDavid simply decide not use the US colleges as a leverage tool ??
Ok here goes...I needed a good few minutes to answer this one lol...
It is a growing phenomenon but still not the ordinary. Some kids are using that NCAA bargaining chip up here a bit. And vice versa from NCAA offers in favour of heading North.
Yes there are more and more US kids coming North as a few more from here go South. US kids Begosian and Austin Watson were both Petes...
Each league here has a defined border that only they can pick from, and it involves borders within the US as well...WHL is BC, Alberta, Sask, Manitoba along with your Western states from Cali all the way over to I believe Minny/Wisconsin. The O is Ontario and Michigan, Penn, Ohio, NY. The Q is Quebec and all Maritime Provinces, and all New England States.
I believe the 'import draft' which US is exempt from (ya here that Trump! :wink:) is a separate entity and I believe CHL wide...
As for Cuylle...I have managed to figure out he simply said NO to the O period. Which makes it even more frustrating that the Petes selected him imo. A major bungle. Now they can't even trade his rights. Insert numerous expletives followed by FIRE THE GM here...

As for McD...I think they were simply happy to have him go to an org run by Basin...he can talk the talk and walk it over the years. From what I understand from friends in the Newmarket/Richmond Hill area his folks are pretty down to earth...funny enough you walk through the shopping mall in Newmarket and it is his OILERS jersey hangin in the windows, NOT the Leaves...They eat him up...

Meanwhile I was kinda shocked to see Cuylle sign with Penn St rather than the more traditional NCAA hockey programs till I saw they have a brand new 6000 seat facility and have appeared in the last 2 tourneys? What the hell brought on that investment I thought? Oh... now Buffalo owner Pegula. Question answered...to the tune of 100 million bucks donated? Wow...

One more...just traded away our number one D man and 2 years back leading scorer in Timms for a 3rd and 4th pick yesterday. To guess who?!? Did I say fire the GM?
Link
https://lfpress.com/sports/hockey/j...s-time-for-knights-with-peterborough-swap/amp

Hope this explains some things...

Ok...comin here rather than the main lot on this one because everyone seems either way to precious or at DEFCON 1 of late...hockey fans seem to take it in stride imo...
Question is, this Saturday what are your concerns with the team we field. I really don't care re: the coach you either like him or loathe him, but he is here...
Imo the D is (as usual) the concern...but more specific quite a few seem to be keying in on the LB's . Personally vs a run attack ya they are important but my main concern is up the middle, I know we have the two transfers on the line but, the loss of MacDougle? Stills with a few games coming in his place...still pretty green. This 3-3-5 hybrid still puts a TON of pressure up the middle. What does Gibby have up his sleeve this year? Seems we are always undersized by a few pounds which thankfully is no longer the case on the O side. The secondary looks average on the whole to me vs B12 competition, and able to compete but it's still the run...LB's? NT /Line or both? The O should be able to get it done, although likely a slow start as usual vs a pretty good D line on the other side...
What are your takeaways @COOL MAN @DocEER @Euell @Irwineer2 @Original Mountaineer1 or any others who want to weigh in? Curious....EERS win by a dozen btw...

Ok...comin here rather than the main lot on this one because everyone seems either way to precious or at DEFCON 1 of late...hockey fans seem to take it in stride imo...
Question is, this Saturday what are your concerns with the team we field. I really don't care re: the coach you either like him or loathe him, but he is here...
Imo the D is (as usual) the concern...but more specific quite a few seem to be keying in on the LB's . Personally vs a run attack ya they are important but my main concern is up the middle, I know we have the two transfers on the line but, the loss of MacDougle? Stills with a few games coming in his place...still pretty green. This 3-3-5 hybrid still puts a TON of pressure up the middle. What does Gibby have up his sleeve this year? Seems we are always undersized by a few pounds which thankfully is no longer the case on the O side. The secondary looks average on the whole to me vs B12 competition, and able to compete but it's still the run...LB's? NT /Line or both? The O should be able to get it done, although likely a slow start as usual vs a pretty good D line on the other side...
What are your takeaways @COOL MAN @DocEER @Euell @Irwineer2 @Original Mountaineer1 or any others who want to weigh in? Curious....EERS win by a dozen btw...
I think we win by 3-7. We will do stupid stuff to keep them around. We always seem to lack discipline at key times. Our linebackers need to grow up and fast. Our O line needs to own the field.

I don't really know what to think about the game...

when I was a younger guy I would obsess about the matchups, etc... then I realized, I have no control over things and the stress kind of floated away.

My brain doesn't allow this to happen with the pens unfortunately for me.

I just keep having nightmares of the 2012 Baylor game and last year's Kansas game where Gale Sayers returned to run for 762 yards against us.

While I have no idea (and really don't care) what the final score will be, I don't believe UT can outscore us.....that is, unless Grier throws 4 INT's.

As for Cuylle...I have managed to figure out he simply said NO to the O period. Which makes it even more frustrating that the Petes selected him imo. A major bungle. Now they can't even trade his rights. Insert numerous expletives followed by FIRE THE GM here...

Yeah, if that was Cuylle's generally thought-of attitude, it does beg the question what the Petes' GM was trying to prove by making the selection. I guess I'm forced to assume he figured having Gainey in his pocket represented some kind of ace-in-the-hole......maybe the kid's old man was an old Habs fan......but from a distance, it seems ludicrous to think a 16yo would actually care about that.

Yeah, if that was Cuylle's generally thought-of attitude, it does beg the question what the Petes' GM was trying to prove by making the selection. I guess I'm forced to assume he figured having Gainey in his pocket represented some kind of ace-in-the-hole......maybe the kid's old man was an old Habs fan......but from a distance, it seems ludicrous to think a 16yo would actually care about that.
Well at least there is this now...it was entirely ridiculous allowing teams to trade picks 6 and 7 years down the road when players are there for a max of 4-5...hopefully it helps.
https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2018/08/ohl-institutes-draft-pick-trade-restrictions.html

I just keep having nightmares of the 2012 Baylor game and last year's Kansas game where Gale Sayers returned to run for 762 yards against us.
Or that one loss in Lawrence? I was with the boys on a football trip to SC that year, our collective jaws dropped to the floor at that debacle....then we went to the Cocks/Gators game in Columbia that night to see a 7-3 or so SEC snoozefest...the girls were hot there though...REALLY hot.

Or that one loss in Lawrence? I was with the boys on a football trip to SC that year, our collective jaws dropped to the floor at that debacle....then we went to the Cocks/Gators game in Columbia that night to see a 7-3 or so SEC snoozefest...the girls were hot there though...REALLY hot.

Well at least we have a few weeks to enjoy football before Letang and Johnson begin their competition for most creative ways to turn the puck over.......

Reactions: DocEER
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT