ADVERTISEMENT

Penguins Offseason: 2018

absolutely, but i think he will surprise some people and be just fine.

I'm with you, 2......while I suspect JJ will fit in with one of the more mistake-prone blue lines in the game, I myself also expect him to play a pretty solid overall role. Meanwhile, I still feel as though his most important role with the team will be more physical than anything else.

https://thehockeywriters.com/penguins-goalie-dilemma-jarry-or-desmith/
Thoughts? Good cases for both here...would still prefer a more vet type for a year or so, but hard to come by (of any quality anyway for the price) and these guys need to develop...hopefully one of em for something relatively long term.

if I were confident MM could play 60-65 games, I wouldn't be as conflicted with either DeSmith or Jarry as a backup. But until he proves he can play that kind of schedule, I too would feel significantly better with a reasonably legitimate veteran pro as his backup.

I'm with you, 2......while I suspect JJ will fit in with one of the more mistake-prone blue lines in the game, I myself also expect him to play a pretty solid overall role. Meanwhile, I still feel as though his most important role with the team will be more physical than anything else.

insert joke about him and 87 being old friends here.

insert joke about him and 87 being old friends here.

Obviously.....but in defense of the franchise, I personally haven't gotten an indication from anyone associated with it (or its media) that 87 was any lower than maybe the 2nd biggest reason why JJ signed here. And I feel most all are satisfied it to be the primary reason.

In fact, other than his comments about JJ being his #3 pick in Carolina.....and that he therefore has a soft spot in his heart for JJ.....I don't think even GMJR himself has tried to convince too many folks that Sid's relationship was much less than the mitigating factor for the signing.

Just curious if most Pens fans would feel better with JJ at 4 years $16 million (4.0M AAV) or the 5 years $16.25 million ($3.25 million) for which he signed. I do realize that a fair number would say neither......my own gut feeling has always been that JJ was looking for 4/16, but GMJR (and Sid) convinced him to acceot the small goose in total money in exchange for the 5th season (and the resulting lower AAV)

As with some of his other long-term signings....including a guy like Horndog......GMJR isn't going to be around to deal with the last few years of the deal anyway. So, what does he care about its long-term ramifications. I do wish I knew how he felt personally about the $29 million for which Ray Shero left him on the hook for Letang (who I always thought got a full $1 milllion+/season more than he deserved, even in his prime)

I'm terrified that deal is going to start hamstringing the team (like Seabrook's in Chicago)......obviously, I sure hope he starts getting it back this year...

Obviously.....but in defense of the franchise, I personally haven't gotten an indication from anyone associated with it (or its media) that 87 was any lower than maybe the 2nd biggest reason why JJ signed here. And I feel most all are satisfied it to be the primary reason.

In fact, other than his comments about JJ being his #3 pick in Carolina.....and that he therefore has a soft spot in his heart for JJ.....I don't think even GMJR himself has tried to convince too many folks that Sid's relationship was much less than the mitigating factor for the signing.

Just curious if most Pens fans would feel better with JJ at 4 years $16 million (4.0M AAV) or the 5 years $16.25 million ($3.25 million) for which he signed. I do realize that a fair number would say neither......my own gut feeling has always been that JJ was looking for 4/16, but GMJR (and Sid) convinced him to acceot the small goose in total money in exchange for the 5th season (and the resulting lower AAV)

As with some of his other long-term signings....including a guy like Horndog......GMJR isn't going to be around to deal with the last few years of the deal anyway. So, what does he care about its long-term ramifications. I do wish I knew how he felt personally about the $29 million for which Ray Shero left him on the hook for Letang (who I always thought got a full $1 milllion+/season more than he deserved, even in his prime)

I'm terrified that deal is going to start hamstringing the team (like Seabrook's in Chicago)......obviously, I sure hope he starts getting it back this year...
seabrook was 5x the player 58 was, especially when it counted. but I agree with where you are going here. lets hope 58's game doesn't erode the way seabrook's did.

Reactions: torontoeers

Would rather the 4 for 4 but...hopefully he can contribute majority of the 5 if not for trade value down the road at least...
As for Seabrook, I'm honestly surprised they haven't been able to deal him in some capacity (or rather maybe they are simply not willing to take THAT MUCH of a loss in a deal), if the Leaves can trade Phanoof, (who admittedly wasn't awful last 2 years, but still makes WAY TOO MUCH for what he brings), then the Hawks and in turn the Pens sooner or later should be able to jettison those contracts in some capacity? Then again, I'm sitting in my lazy boy, so WTF do I know...

Reactions: COOL MAN
Ya he WAS such a damn good defender (Seabrook), not sure I have seen a guy fall off such a cliff in years...just awful.

Our discussion yesterday of the Letang and Seabrook contracts got me to wondering about the specifics of both......so:
  • Letang -- 8 years/$58 milllion ($7.25 million AAV) with 4 years remaining ($29 million balance, including 18/19)
  • Seabrook -- 8 years/$55 million ($6.875 million AAV) with 6 years remaining ($41.25 million balance, including 18/19

• Meanwhile, regarding actual salaries for the upcoming season, I was fairly surprised to see the highest paid player in the League this season (and next) is Jamie Benn at $13 million ($9.5 AAV).
  • McDavid is alone in second at $12.5 million ($12.5 AAV), while Kane ($10.5 AAV), Kopitar ($10.0 AAV), and Toews ($10.5 AAV) are tied for 3rd at $12 million each.
  • At $11 million ($11 AAV), Tavares is alone in 6th place, with Sid ($8.7 AAV), Brent Burns ($8.0 AAV), Subban ($9.0 AAV), Kuznetsov ($7.8 AAV), and Ovechkin ($9.538 AAV) tied for 7th at $10 million.
  • Then, Geno comes in tied for 12th place at $9.5 million ($9.5 million AAV) with Stamkos ($8.5 AAV)

Interesting little bit of non-Pens related news today.....the NHL has suspended Nate Schmidt for 20 games for violating the League's "performance enhancing substance" policy, Wouldn't be surprised if that's a reasonably big story in t's part of the world; but I myself probably wouldn't have heard about it until Tuesday without the FB post I got an hour ago from TSN..

In case you were wondering, here is THN's opinion of the top remaining FA's coming into camp:
  • 1st Team -- Antoine Vermette, Mike Cammaleri, Lee Stempniak, Luca Sbisa, Cody Franson, Steve Mason
  • 2nd Team -- Daniel Winnik, Scott Hartnell, Chris Stewart, Alexei Emelin, Justin Falk, Kari Lehtonen
  • 3rd Team -- Nick Shore, Benoit Pouliot, Alex Chiasson, Kevin Bieksa, Frankie Corrado, Ondrej Pavelec
I'd be relatively content with any of those three goaltenders backing up MM full time, but doubt they would accept a PTO deal from the Pens (or perhaps anyone). Unless some team encounters a serious early injury in goal, I assume I'm not the only one who could see all three playing this season in the KHL (or Europe).

I'm in a streak here on a lazy Labor Day Sunday afternoon, so here's a little more info none of you asked for.....a whorehouse analysis of the Pens 2018/19 schedule:
:
METRO CONFERENCE
  • OCT -- WAS, NYI
  • NOV -- at NYI, NJD, at WAS, at NJD, CBJ,
  • DEC -- PHL, NYI, at NYI, at WAS, at CAR,
  • JAN -- at NYR, NJD
  • FEB -- CAR, at PHL, NYR, at NJD, at PHL, at CBJ
  • MAR -- CBJ, at CBJ, WAS, PHL, at CAR, at NYR, CAR
  • APR -- NYR
--They play Columbus 3x in 12 days from 2/26-3/9....typically, they play Philly multiple times in the lasr couple weeks, this year they're done with the Cryers on 3/17.....the Washington series is spread out from Game 1 in October until 3/12.

BACK-TO-BACKS (I think I found 'em all)
  • 11/23-24 (at BOS, CBJ)
  • 11/27-28 (at WPG, at COL)
  • 12/14-15 (BOS, LAK)
  • 12/19-20 (at WAS, MIN)
  • 1/11-12 (at ANA, at LAK)
  • 1/18-19 (at ARI, at VGK)
  • 2/1-2 (at OTT, at TOR)
  • 3/1-2 (at BUF, at MTL)
--Bye week is 1/20-26 (immediately after a 9-day Western US swing...including the two listed back-to-backs.....to ANA, LAK, SJS, ARI, and VGK beginning 1/11). Speaking of western swings, they play at EDM, CGY, and VAN early in the season the week of 10/22. ASG is in San Jose on SAT 1/26..

--They close the season with 3 games beginning 4/2 (at DET, DET, NYR).

Just saw that Tom Sestito retired on Thursday at 30yo. Kinda surprises me he isn't trying to stay in the game, even in the lower minors.

I have to assume this is a fairly clear indicator that lugheads have lost their value on pretty much every level of the pro game.

Just saw that Tom Sestito retired on Thursday at 30yo. Kinda surprises me he isn't trying to stay in the game, even in the lower minors.

I have to assume this is a fairly clear indicator that lugheads have lost their value on pretty much every level of the pro game.
Seems that way...gotta be able to do more than just throw fists now for a roster spot...every time he came up to play, I always thought. Is this really worthwhile? At all??? Now RR on the otherhand...well, sorry to beat that drum again...but...

Just read about the Prospects Tournament currently underway in Buffalo, and the Pens lost yesterday 4-2 to Boston. John Yohe wrote about it for The Athletic, and made note of the following:
  • The Bruins showcased four first-round picks, five second-round picks, two third-round picks, a fourth-round pick, two fifth-round picks, three sixth-round picks, two seventh-round picks and eight undrafted players.
  • The Penguins brought to Buffalo no first-round picks, one second-round pick, no third-round picks, one fourth-round pick, four fifth-round picks, four six-round picks, two seventh-round picks and 12 undrafted players.
Sounds like the team's two best players on the prospect/developmental level are currently thought to be D Calen Addison......their #2 pick this summer......and C Jordy Bellerive.....the kid who got burned in that fire in Calgary earlier this summer (and was thought to have no chance to play in this event). FYI, the two kids are evidently pals from their joint days in Lethbridge.

Yohe also said G Alex D'Orio is worth paying attention to in the upcoming camp.,

Seems that way...gotta be able to do more than just throw fists now for a roster spot...every time he came up to play, I always thought. Is this really worthwhile? At all??? Now RR on the otherhand...well, sorry to beat that drum again...but...

When the Pens were playing the Craps or Cryers, I used to say YES......even though about the only thing I can ever remember about Sestito in a Pens uniform was when he cut across the crease in Toronto a few years back and took out the Laffs goaltender.

Pacioretty gets 4/28 from Vegas after the trade......good deal, I think, for Vegas; and I seriously doubt MTL could have done much better after having waited this long. Never ceases to amaze me to what extent GM's overvalue their assets when the player in question is in the last year of their contracts.

Assuming Breadman holds with his current intention to leave Columbus, I wonder how long it'll be before Jarmo tries to pull his trigger. He's going to hold out for a young scoring forward, which nobody is going to give him (unless perhaps he's willing to trade for Brandon Saad a second time).

Well...Karl is a Shark. My first thought without seeing their cap scenario is...all in for just this year on this roster or are they going to attempt longer term after next year on all these guys? Something tells me that asshat beardo Thornton can't possibly be there more than another year, can he??? Ah whatever, I hope it catapults them to a final for the Pens to wax again. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reactions: DocEER
Well...Karl is a Shark. My first thought without seeing their cap scenario is...all in for just this year on this roster or are they going to attempt longer term after next year on all these guys? Something tells me that asshat beardo Thornton can't possibly be there more than another year, can he??? Ah whatever, I hope it catapults them to a final for the Pens to wax again. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

just as long as he didn't go to tampa, I'm happy.

bad week for the bolts, yzerman finally bails for detroit and now they can't land karllson

just as long as he didn't go to tampa, I'm happy.

bad week for the bolts, yzerman finally bails for detroit and now they can't land karllson
Ya man...that had to HURT! Love it...

Any of you guys wanna play amateur AD for awhile and suggest hairbrained WVU football game ideas or pull out the sundial and attempt some weather forecasts ? Amazing the cesspool the main board becomes when a ballgame is cancelled...gimmie some hockey already. SMFH.

Ya man...that had to HURT! Love it...

Any of you guys wanna play amateur AD for awhile and suggest hairbrained WVU football game ideas or pull out the sundial and attempt some weather forecasts ? Amazing the cesspool the main board becomes when a ballgame is cancelled...gimmie some hockey already. SMFH.

there's some other good games saturday. I'll keep myself busy.

oh don't get me wrong, I'm angry as hell and I'll probably spend a fair amount of time on the mainboard castigating the wolfpack and acc.
Ah sure whatever...of course they ducked it, as we see the Cav's can figure out a way to play Ohio, so should have Wolfpack have figured out a way...it is the doofus brigade suggesting games vs Marshall 2 days down the road or re-scheduling another half assed squad against us on a bye week I laugh at...vigorously...asinine.

Reactions: Irwineer2
Been hearing Seguin was looking for Tavares-level money......."settles" for $9.85 million AAV for 8 years. Just glad he re-signed in Dallas, because I was hearing all summer the Bruins and (especially) Rangers were targeting him in free agency next year.

Late this afternoon, Doug Wilson was quoted as saying he is definitely pursuing an extension.......but man, Karlsson sounded bummed at his so-long PC in Ottawa.

Been hearing Seguin was looking for Tavares-level money......."settles" for $9.85 million AAV for 8 years. Just glad he re-signed in Dallas, because I was hearing all summer the Bruins and (especially) Rangers were targeting him in free agency next year.
Wow...hadn't heard the Bruins were. Regardless agreed, keep him over there with a middling bunch for the next while...not to mention the guy just strikes me as a complete self absorbed idiot anyway. Guess that's what happens when you're what? Nowhere near the best in league you'd like to THINK you are...enjoy mediocrity in perpetual motion Tyler...

Late this afternoon, Doug Wilson was quoted as saying he is definitely pursuing an extension.......but man, Karlsson sounded bummed at his so-long PC in Ottawa.
If he is extending him then who is gone? Beardo jackwagon original...which imo would be a smart move on Dougies part...unless Jumbo Jackass wants to sign on for half the six mil he's getting...bout what the stiff is worth...talk about over rated, he coined the term.

Nevermind all of this hubub anyway CM, I heard it here that the Leaves gave already won a Cup dynasty for many years....apparently they will beat the Sharks in the finals...YES two nutjobs actually 'informed' me of that this afternoon....

Room booked for Nov 17th at Sens finally....if this one ain't a whitewash I don't know what is....isn't it? You guys know I do far better for us on the roadies.. so a way I go...along with about several thousand Frenchie Pens fans in the building @Irwineer2 ...cut em and me some slack tho Irwin will ya? Wifey is a Frenchie and this is both real bad...and real good...depends on the climate all around...right now you are saying, 'this f'n guy lives both my fantasy, and my nightmare, doesn't he?!?' Yes...admit it.....btw she thinks 58 is ALMOST as good lookin as me...this should really get things goin lol....

Room booked for Nov 17th at Sens finally....if this one ain't a whitewash I don't know what is....isn't it? You guys know I do far better for us on the roadies.. so a way I go...along with about several thousand Frenchie Pens fans in the building @Irwineer2 ...cut em and me some slack tho Irwin will ya? Wifey is a Frenchie and this is both real bad...and real good...depends on the climate all around...right now you are saying, 'this f'n guy lives both my fantasy, and my nightmare, doesn't he?!?' Yes...admit it.....btw she thinks 58 is ALMOST as good lookin as me...this should really get things goin lol....

got dam, you been drinking.

anyone read anything about this riikola guy?

pens signed him out of finland. dman, left shot. pens seem impressed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT