ADVERTISEMENT

Penguins Offseason: 2018

Reactions: torontoeers
3 years? Wow...um ok...
And in other news...I just love this lol. New idiotspeak from the Crusty Columbus Kook...
https://www.tsn.ca/kekalainen-tortorella-fire-back-at-pens-gm-1.1128826

did anyone expect anything less? but on a related note, anything that guy does is hated in pittsburgh because he'd like it if one of his players injured one of the pens fans' protected class.

It's not surprising the media seems to be taking the Blojax side of this situation......not when a serial screwball like Torts keeps on teeing himself up for them at a time when League news is quickly falling off a cliff after FA weekend. Meanwhile, GMJR is smart enough to tell the Blojax to go f*** themselves through his refusal to address either Torts or Kekalainen, while JJ regrettably got himself caught in the crossfire.

Initially, I wished that GMJR hadn't made the comment; but it didn't take long for me to downright applaud what he said; absolutely anything that drives Torts bananas like this is always totally worthwhile.

LOVE this deal for Big Rig fellas...the right $ and term...he is a solid bottom pair, decent skater for a BIG boy, who can help in a 3-4 capacity under injury scenario...AND...he is afraid of NO ONE. Was waiting for this one...good stuff.

Reactions: Irwineer2
Cully could have helped this post season. Not sure what he has left but I’d manage his TOI and have him fresh for the playoffs.
Bigtime key imo too Ron...manage his icetime accordingly...I expect him and Sheahan (maybe even Brass if he doesnt get a good start) to battle a bit for that #4 slot which is a good thing imo.

LOVE this deal for Big Rig fellas...the right $ and term...he is a solid bottom pair, decent skater for a BIG boy, who can help in a 3-4 capacity under injury scenario...AND...he is afraid of NO ONE. Was waiting for this one...good stuff.

agree with tornoto about big rig deal. bargain imo.

I'm with you guys who thinks Rig for 3 years at $2.137 million+ per is a pretty decent deal......especially if we see the guy from his first 20 games with the team (rather than the one we saw afterward). But on balance, that's a good number for a 25 yo defenseman with some actual upside who'll dress every night and brings some physical qualities (for which I'd like to see a bit more).

If he ends up paired with JJ, that's about as physical a duo as we've seen on the Pens blueline in some time.

Cully could have helped this post season. Not sure what he has left but I’d manage his TOI and have him fresh for the playoffs.

I wish I was as pleased having Cullen back as I would have been this time last year when we were (more or less) counting on his return. Speaking only for myself, I'm not expecting much of anything from him next season.....and frankly, can see him as a healthy scratch (which I hope I'm wrong about).

Big Rig had his moments and I guess he’s sufficient as a third pairing guy. Not sure how much JJ upgrades our D either. I’m holding out hope GMJR isn’t done adding to the defense yet.

Unless he moves out some salary, GMJR isn't adding to the defense (or any other position) the rest of this off-season. According to DK, Pens are now down to $745K in cap space, with Tristan Jarry and Teddy Blueger both left to sign.

Lots of summer talk.....well, at least comparatively speaking.....recently about Brassard; potentially getting him into the Top 6 as a winger, or as a trade chip (which obviously is not new).

At this point, I have no clue if moving DB to the wing is a good idea; though gut feeling tells me it might do little more than eliminate any notion he's destined to be with the team past 2018/19. OTOH, the team (and GMJR, for sure) probably isn't terribly focused on anything beyond next season, so who cares what I think.....

Ray Emery...who in their right mind would 'go for a swim' in Hamilton harbour unless they wanted to grow an extra apendage or get some form of disease? Let alone at 6am? ...he had to have been severely impaired...

Ray Emery...who in their right mind would 'go for a swim' in Hamilton harbour unless they wanted to grow an extra apendage or get some form of disease? Let alone at 6am? ...he had to have been severely impaired...

I'd like to hear what braden holtby has to say about this...

Hey, have you guys heard any news about Brooks Orpik ?? Even at 37 years old.....but with two rings.....you'd think somebody would be willing take a flyer on him at a reasonable number coming off a pretty decent season. I mean, if teams are still offering contracts to Chris Kunitz, why not Orpik ??

Of course, perhaps he's simply not willing to play for half (or less) the $5.5 million annual contract salary for which he's just been bought out (while Kunitz is staying in the game next season with the Hawks for $1 million). Maybe he'll keep in shape this summer to see if he can earn a tryout deal for someone in need when camps open.

Regardless, if this is the end of him, I can't deny he's had a far better career.....and earned $50+ million for his trouble.....than most of the guys who played the game before him.

Hey, have you guys heard any news about Brooks Orpik ?? Even at 37 years old.....but with two rings.....you'd think somebody would be willing take a flyer on him at a reasonable number coming off a pretty decent season. I mean, if teams are still offering contracts to Chris Kunitz, why not Orpik ??

Of course, perhaps he's simply not willing to play for half (or less) the $5.5 million annual contract salary for which he's just been bought out (while Kunitz is staying in the game next season with the Hawks for $1 million). Maybe he'll keep in shape this summer to see if he can earn a tryout deal for someone in need when camps open.

Regardless, if this is the end of him, I can't deny he's had a far better career.....and earned $50+ million for his trouble.....than most of the guys who played the game before him.

brooks has had a great career. someone will give him a chance, if he wants it.

If you didn't see the Jason Mackey's piece about Conor Sheary in the Post Gazette yesterday, I found the following excerpt to be pretty interesting:

Sheary is spending his summer where he always does — just outside of Boston. Wedding planning has been fun, although he and his fiancée, Jordan Sullivan, keep having to put out last-minute fires.

On that August day, there’s the potential for things to get a little awkward. Jordan’s uncle is Mike Sullivan, the Penguins head coach. Sheary, however, has always tried to keep this relationship low-key — the hockey separate from real life — and doesn’t expect anything to change now that he’s collecting his paychecks elsewhere.

“I don’t want to downplay it, but I don’t think hockey has any effect on that,” Sheary said. “It’s not something I really like to talk about too much. He gave me a great opportunity. He allowed me to play my game. We knew we were going to have to move on at a certain point, so there’s definitely no hard feelings there at all.”

What strikes me about this is that it was HCMS who I thought, in particular, really turned against Sheary as last season progressed. Obviously, what happens off the ice should have no bearing on what happens on the ice, but this connection between the two still strikes me as intriguing. Perhaps the connection was instrumental in the fact that Sheary really seemed to press a lot when things started going south for him.

In any event, I'm thinking this personal connection probably makes the divorce a better thing for both parties.

If you didn't see the Jason Mackey's piece about Conor Sheary in the Post Gazette yesterday, I found the following excerpt to be pretty interesting:

Sheary is spending his summer where he always does — just outside of Boston. Wedding planning has been fun, although he and his fiancée, Jordan Sullivan, keep having to put out last-minute fires.

On that August day, there’s the potential for things to get a little awkward. Jordan’s uncle is Mike Sullivan, the Penguins head coach. Sheary, however, has always tried to keep this relationship low-key — the hockey separate from real life — and doesn’t expect anything to change now that he’s collecting his paychecks elsewhere.

“I don’t want to downplay it, but I don’t think hockey has any effect on that,” Sheary said. “It’s not something I really like to talk about too much. He gave me a great opportunity. He allowed me to play my game. We knew we were going to have to move on at a certain point, so there’s definitely no hard feelings there at all.”

What strikes me about this is that it was HCMS who I thought, in particular, really turned against Sheary as last season progressed. Obviously, what happens off the ice should have no bearing on what happens on the ice, but this connection between the two still strikes me as intriguing. Perhaps the connection was instrumental in the fact that Sheary really seemed to press a lot when things started going south for him.

In any event, I'm thinking this personal connection probably makes the divorce a better thing for both parties.

I knew Sheary’s time was short when he signed that new deal last summer. Yes he’s skilled but he’s weak on the puck and is too one dimensional as a player. And when you don’t bring much to the table and only score 4 goals in your last 44 games then it’s time to go.

The Pens have plenty of fast, offensively skilled guys. What we lack is toughness. Bones and Cully were tough and scrappy. Not sure what Cully has left but I love what he’ll bring to the locker room. My biggest concern for the Pens still lies at the blue line. I don’t think adding JJ is enough. And what about depth? Then there is the issue of backup goalie. Murray has been injury prone and I’m not sure we have the guys capable of filling in for a long stretch. Our window is short with our stars so I hope between now and next seasons trade deadline GMJR can add the necessary pieces.

I knew Sheary’s time was short when he signed that new deal last summer. Yes he’s skilled but he’s weak on the puck and is too one dimensional as a player. And when you don’t bring much to the table and only score 4 goals in your last 44 games then it’s time to go.

The Pens have plenty of fast, offensively skilled guys. What we lack is toughness. Bones and Cully were tough and scrappy. Not sure what Cully has left but I love what he’ll bring to the locker room. My biggest concern for the Pens still lies at the blue line. I don’t think adding JJ is enough. And what about depth? Then there is the issue of backup goalie. Murray has been injury prone and I’m not sure we have the guys capable of filling in for a long stretch. Our window is short with our stars so I hope between now and next seasons trade deadline GMJR can add the necessary pieces.
I am hoping Big Rig can continue to grow...maybe even literally into the ultimate monster lol...but ya another D man of half decent talent would be a plus, if only to reduce Tangers TOI a little bit. I thought when a Pen Daley performed that job rather well...and YES a solid vet backup to push both MM and Jarry would be invaluable imo...GMJR known to tinker about a bit throughout summer so I guess I'm hopeful for at least one of those scenarios. Time is fleeting on this squad now...lets have one more push to get back on top!

Reactions: WVRON
I am hoping Big Rig can continue to grow...maybe even literally into the ultimate monster lol...but ya another D man of half decent talent would be a plus, if only to reduce Tangers TOI a little bit. I thought when a Pen Daley performed that job rather well...and YES a solid vet backup to push both MM and Jarry would be invaluable imo...GMJR known to tinker about a bit throughout summer so I guess I'm hopeful for at least one of those scenarios. Time is fleeting on this squad now...lets have one more push to get back on top!

The narrative from GMJR this summer is that Tanger's ice time will be reduced to something more on the order of 22-23 MPG.......well, I'll believe that when I see it. I'm wondering if he's privately planning on way more from Johnson than is generally being discussed by Pens media.

I know many fans are terrified the plan for JJ is the 2nd pairing; for now, I'll be happy to just wait to see what happens (though I admit, for about the 5th time around here, that I like JJ way more than a lot of fans). That's not, however, to say I want him playing with Schultzie (who, along with Tanger, is another guy from whom they also need a fair amount of improvement next season).

I also remain aligned with t in terms of my desire to see the Pens bring in a veteran to backup MM......which I was originally hoping might be someone like Chad Johnson (who ended up getting a more-then-I-expected $1.75 million from STL). Then, I was thinking about someone like Eddie Lack, who ended up signing with the NJD for $650K.

Of course, Tristan Jarry remains unsigned for now......I guess he figures he's worth more than the $715K qualifying offer he got from GMJR considering the team's depth problems. Of course, his RFA status means he doesn't really have much leverage, and the team's lack of cap space means he pretty much has to accept it (but presumably for only 1 year).

I see the League released the logo for the 2019 Stadium Series game between the Pens and Cryers, which I myself find some distance less than compelling:

DizIt4HX4AAQMdf.jpg

Obviously nobody gives two shits what I think, but I think the logo for the 2017 game is better (well, at least comparatively).

220px-2017_NHL_Stadium_Series.png

Meanwhile, it'll likely be well into the season before the uni designs are made public, but it wouldn't bother me one bit if they simply used the same designs as the 2017 game but in reverse......that is, Cryers in light and Pens in dark:

I see the League released the logo for the 2019 Stadium Series game between the Pens and Cryers, which I myself find some distance less than compelling:

DizIt4HX4AAQMdf.jpg

Obviously nobody gives two shits what I think, but I think the logo for the 2017 game is better (well, at least comparatively).

220px-2017_NHL_Stadium_Series.png

Meanwhile, it'll likely be well into the season before the uni designs are made public, but it wouldn't bother me one bit if they simply used the same designs as the 2017 game but in reverse......that is, Cryers in light and Pens in dark:

what were they going to put on it? the liberty bell? rocky statue? crack hoe?

I heard this morning that former 'Guin Simon Despres was signed to a PTO by the Canadiens.

As with pretty much all PTO guys, I'm not sure how likely he is.....or even how much of an opportunity he'll get.....to make the roster. Still, I'm glad to hear he's still in the game, because I myself thought he was finished after playing only 49 games in 3 seasons in Anaheim.

If you didn't know this......and I certainly didn't......he moved onto Slovan Bratislava (??) in the KHL last season after the Ducks bought out the last 3 years of his contract in June 2017. His numbers were 4/11/15 in 44 games.

jarry having a two way deal for next season is interesting... they could still kick the tires on a veteran goalie.

brooks has had a great career. someone will give him a chance, if he wants it.

Perhaps I'm the last guy to read about this......but a couple days after the fact, I see the Craps re-upped Orpik for one year at $1 million.

The deal is said to include $500K in performance incentives, plus another $500K if he plays 40 games. In conjunction with the $1.5 million he's getting from Colorado as part of his buyout (plus the same amount next season), he stands to make $4.5 million over the next 2 seasons.

Meanwhile, I see the Craps extended Tom Wilson at 6 years/$31 million ($5.17 million AAV). It'll be interesting to see if he's finally under orders to drop his predator routine now that he's making so much money.

Speaking of the Craps, they're really not getting much run......on NHLN Radio, at least......regarding a repeat next season (though 8 remains universally the network's new favorite player....at least aside Johnny T). As you'd expect, most of the Network's support (alphabetically speaking) for the 2019 Cup is currently biasing toward Tampa, Toronto, and Winnipeg. Next is probably a tie between Nashville and the Craps (with the nod, I think, ever so slightly toward the Preds).

FWIW, Pens don't seem to be in the discussion at all as a likely Cup winner, though they're probably still among the group of eight or nine generalized "favorites". My own thought at this point is they'll generally parallel what they did last regular season, with these players performing as follows versus 2017/18
  • Crosby -- Neutral
  • Guentzel -- Up
  • Hornqvist -- Neutral
  • Johnson -- No clue
  • Kessel -- Down
  • Letang -- Neutral to Up
  • Maatta -- Neutral
  • Malkin -- Down
  • Murray -- Up
  • Schultz -- Neutral to Up

@Irwineer2, this story is for you and you will love it.....

My friends daughter is a goalie. She just returned from a week long goalie camp in Pittsburgh at the Pens practice facility. She said her goalie coach was a girl named Taylor from Nova Scotia, which turned about to be Sid's little sister. Also said Rutherford’s kid was there and she was able to meet Jim. She asked him directly if he would trade Letang for her dads sanity! He laughed it off.

If you missed it earlier this week, the Pens new HC in Wheeling, Mark Dennehy, left the team after only roughly 2 months on the job. Nothing sinister at play.....simply accepted a better job (HC in Binghamton; the Devils' AHL affiliate).

@Irwineer2, this story is for you and you will love it.....

My friends daughter is a goalie. She just returned from a week long goalie camp in Pittsburgh at the Pens practice facility. She said her goalie coach was a girl named Taylor from Nova Scotia, which turned about to be Sid's little sister. Also said Rutherford’s kid was there and she was able to meet Jim. She asked him directly if he would trade Letang for her dads sanity! He laughed it off.

love it. can't wait to be pissed off again in october.

Reactions: DocEER
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT