ADVERTISEMENT

Penguins Offseason: 2018

Carlson stays in Washington for 8/64......can't believe he couldn't have done better than that elsewhere, but a dynamite signing for the Craps at a full million less than what PK Subban is making (and <$1 million more than Letang's salary).

Pens did NOT submit a qualifying offer today to Sheahan, Kuhnhackl, and Corrado.....meaning they lose exclusive rights to each player.....though it's evidently thought they'll still attempt to sign Sheahan. But exactly why they'd decide not to qualify him is a little hard to understand.

GMJR is said to have based the decision on what RFA status can do to the salary cap in the future, particularly as it applies to arbitration eligibility. No clue what that means, but you have to assume (I guess) that JR knows what he's doing.

Rust 4/14......sounds high to me for a guy who's never scored 40 points; which indicates GMJR likes him (and finds him more valuable) than I do. Accordingly, it's hard for me to fathom how GMJR heads into 18/19 with $6.5 million combined on Rust and Sheary, no matter what he Cap proves to be.

We also know now why Sheahan didn't get qualified.......

GMJR is said to have based the decision on what RFA status can do to the salary cap in the future, particularly as it applies to arbitration eligibility. No clue what that means, but you have to assume (I guess) that JR knows what he's doing.

A reader on DK's site claims if the Pens qualified Sheahan (which evidently must be at 10% above his last salary, so at something like $2.2 million) and he went to arbitration in the future.....and for argument's sake, let's say he was awarded $3 million.....the team couldn't walk away from it since that would be below the league's arbitration average (which is expected to be something like $4 million).

I also see the Hawks decided not to qualify Anthony Duclair......this kid was a borderline super prospect a couple or three years ago, and now he can't even get a qualifying offer from a last place team (who traded for him straight up). Meanwhile, I was hearing today that the Habs are considering signing/reuniting him with his old pal, Max Domi.

So ....thoughts? Conditional 4th or 3rd for Sheary/Hunwick? I like it simply to free up the space. Hunwick was imo a liability in minimal duty, and Sheary had a fairly significant drop off in performance this past season. I wish him well of course, however Jack Eichel ain't exactly Sid feeding him the puck now is he...

So ....thoughts? Conditional 4th or 3rd for Sheary/Hunwick? I like it simply to free up the space. Hunwick was imo a liability in minimal duty, and Sheary had a fairly significant drop off in performance this past season. I wish him well of course, however Jack Eichel ain't exactly Sid feeding him the puck now is he...

I hate to see Sheary given away......holy crap they got nothing for 2 capable players.

Ya...why do I have a sneaking suspicion I and a few others will be cursing ole Jack more often than not this season...oh well as I say hoping for the best...welcome aboard Jack. Get it done.

Can you imagine if Letang and Johnson suck as bad in 18-19 as they did in 17-18? Lordy that would be a train wreck.

Can you imagine if Letang and Johnson suck as bad in 18-19 as they did in 17-18? Lordy that would be a train wreck.

Honestly, I can't imagine Letang being that bad again......but hey, who knows for sure.

As for Johnson, I freely admit I like him better than most folks, so I'm not at all unhappy with him at the just-a-little-north-of-$3-million he's evidently expected to sign for. If for no other reason, I'll take him because he's not afraid to hit somebody; a quality in very short supply on the Pens defense (even, to some extent, with Big Rig).

He's not as big as Tom Wilson, but I don't think JJ will be afraid to hit that punk on those occasions (which I don't believe will be that often) when they're on the ice together. And since he's going to be a 3rd pairing guy, he's not going to be asked to play the top opponents' skaters, nor play (at least I don't think) more than maybe 16-18 MPG.....so he'll be somewhat protected.

Speaking of Craps, NHLN Radio was reporting today that Orpik is though to be talking seriously with New Jersey.

Reactions: torontoeers
Honestly, I can't imagine Letang being that bad again......but hey, who knows for sure.

As for Johnson, I freely admit I like him better than most folks, so I'm not at all unhappy with him at the just-a-little-north-of-$3-million he's evidently expected to sign for. If for no other reason, I'll take him because he's not afraid to hit somebody; a quality in very short supply on the Pens defense (even, to some extent, with Big Rig).

He's not as big as Tom Wilson, but I don't think JJ will be afraid to hit that punk on those occasions (which I don't believe will be that often) when they're on the ice together. And since he's going to be a 3rd pairing guy, he's not going to be asked to play the top opponents' skaters, nor play (at least I don't think) more than maybe 16-18 MPG.....so he'll be somewhat protected.

Speaking of Craps, NHLN Radio was reporting today that Orpik is though to be talking seriously with New Jersey.
Agreed...he will hit, thank goodness...and he is most certain better than Hunwick any day of the week...the term concerns me a bit, but then we (Sorry Guerrin) are all in a world of hurt around here in year 3-5 regardless...need another solid D. The O is the O...no need for anything to supplement at THIS point imo...if I could ask one thing other than another solid 3-4 on my wish list? It would be either a solid Vet to PUSH Murray for crease time or one of our young guys gets on a serious roll...I think he definitely needs the push to help him assert the hemp hut and quiet the storm...

Agreed...he will hit, thank goodness...and he is most certain better than Hunwick any day of the week...the term concerns me a bit, but then we (Sorry Guerrin) are all in a world of hurt around here in year 3-5 regardless...need another solid D. The O is the O...no need for anything to supplement at THIS point imo...if I could ask one thing other than another solid 3-4 on my wish list? It would be either a solid Vet to PUSH Murray for crease time or one of our young guys gets on a serious roll...I think he definitely needs the push to help him assert the hemp hut and quiet the storm...

Thus far, I haven't heard or read a thing that indicates GMJR will bring in a veteran backup in goal. Of course, there's still a lot of time left in the pre-season......and by definition, that will have to change if the Pens decide to move Jarry (which I'm not as yet sure that's a good idea). But I'm with you, t......I'd like to see another vet on the roster (hopefully a little better than Antti Niemi).

As is the case with most pro franchises, there aren't too many things......well, aside when there is outcry regarding the manager/HC or GM......that you tend to find legitimate consensus. But the noise from media and fans thus far regarding the proposed Jack Johnson signing is almost amazingly consistent; that JJ is no good (or a downright bum), and that there are any number of better ways to spend the newfound cap space.

Meanwhile, speaking of JJ, I heard someone (might have been Bill Watters) on NHLNR say that all the games where he was scratched late in the season may very well have been more about Torts than anything specific he might have done to earn the benching. I truthfully don't remember exactly the rationale, but it'll be interesting to see....if JJ indeed DOES come aboard.....how he reacts when asked about this, and to what extent (if at all) he takes Torts to the woodshed.

Aside face planting Tom Wilson (or Brandon Dubinsky) into a goal post, I'm not sure he can do much more to ingratiate himself to Pens fans than take verbal shots at Torts.

Do we have room for him? This is the guy , as I listed before (I think lol) we all need to round it out...I doubt it...
https://thehockeywriters.com/canadiens-should-pursue-calvin-de-haan/

My own gut feeling is that DeHaan is looking for (and may very well get) far more than the Pens are prepared to pay right now; maybe approaching of $5 million/season. I remain convinced THE key reason for JJ coming to the Pens.....beyond his widely reported, long time friendship with Sid.....is what would be viewed as a comparably low cap hit for a legitimate (though perhaps VETERAN is a better term) NHL defenseman.

One more thing for a Saturday morning; the Canucks declined to qualify Derrick Pouliot this week in a move that sounded like it essentially paralleled what the Pens did with Sheahan. And like Sheahan who signed later for 1 year at essentially the same number he earned last season, Pouliot resigned with Vancouver for 1 year /$1 million.

From a distance, I get the impression the Canucks thought Pouliot was OK after arriving from Pittsburgh (3/19/22)....and he played the entire season in Vancouver.....but they evidently weren't anywhere near prepared to make a commitment to a kid presumably dying to play his entire career there.

And since he's going to be a 3rd pairing guy, he's not going to be asked to play the top opponents' skaters, nor play (at least I don't think) more than maybe 16-18 MPG.....so he'll be somewhat protected.

Since making that comment the other day, the notion of JJ playing in the Pens' Top 4 seems to have been on the definite rise......with today's Post Gazette piece from Jason Mackey giving this perhaps its greatest current "legitimacy".

I'll leave it to you to decide if that's bad, indifferent, or good for this team.

Since making that comment the other day, the notion of JJ playing in the Pens' Top 4 seems to have been on the definite rise......with today's Post Gazette piece from Jason Mackey giving this perhaps its greatest current "legitimacy".

I'll leave it to you to decide if that's bad, indifferent, or good for this team.
I definitely see him as a 5-6 who can step in to the 3-4 in event of injury. He's still a fairly good skater, it's his decision making process I worry about...

In other news the midnight deadline has come and gone for Johnny T...I'd better brace myself here...it would be a damn shame if my Canada Day were hit with a double whammy of being on call for work and...well....ugh...please NO!

I definitely see him as a 5-6 who can step in to the 3-4 in event of injury. He's still a fairly good skater, it's his decision making process I worry about...

In other news the midnight deadline has come and gone for Johnny T...I'd better brace myself here...it would be a damn shame if my Canada Day were hit with a double whammy of being on call for work and...well....ugh...please NO!

Assuming JT to Toronto, how do they pay him, Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and the decent defenseman (or two) they need ?? Or, does this ensure Matthews will not be a long-timer with the Laffs ???

I hate to be opposed to essentially everyone, but I honestly am not at all conflicted with JJ on this roster at a $3.25 million cap hit.

Meanwhile, I wonder how much Pens fans would prefer Ian Cole for the same deal being reported with Colorado at a cap hit a full million dollars higher (though admittedly, for 2 less years) than JJ's ?? Probably quite a bit, I suspect......

Assuming JT to Toronto, how do they pay him, Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and the decent defenseman (or two) they need ?? Or, does this ensure Matthews will not be a long-timer with the Laffs ???
I think I am going to have to move...the lovefest around here will be unbearable now....ugh.

I think I am going to have to move...the lovefest around here will be unbearable now....ugh.

Yeah, I suspect it's not going to be easy to be an NHL fan anywhere north of the border......let alone GTA.....in the foreseeable future. Hell, this signing will likely even take down the Conner McDavid banners.

Last edited:
Yeah, I suspect it's not going to be easy to be an NHL fan anywhere north of the border......let alone GTA.....in the foreseeable future. Hell, this signing will likely even take down the Conner McDavid banners.
13e8h0.jpg
[/url]via Imgflip Meme Generator[/IMG]
My phone is literally vibrating off the counter every 5 mins with texts etc from these morons...

Dad is comin back! How much does he have in the tank? I like it just cause I like his effort...a true gamer.

Guess everyone needs a solid 5th line center.....I admit, t, that I didn't know who you were referring to when you mentioned Dad (after which I saw the signing mentioned on FB).

I admit I'm still PO'd at the guy (and his wife) after the way he/they played us last summer, and I'm not exactly sure why at his age he's signed a contract with ANYONE at what has to be pretty close to absolute League minimum. Maybe he himself is PO'd at his wife for forcing him to play for the Wild last year, and this is his way of proving it.

Either way, I guess all that talk about how badly he needed to get back near his family last season to close out his career was a bunch of BS after all.

Guess everyone needs a solid 5th line center.....I admit, t, that I didn't know who you were referring to when you mentioned Dad (after which I saw the signing mentioned on FB).

I admit I'm still PO'd at the guy (and his wife) after the way he/they played us last summer, and I'm not exactly sure why at his age he's signed a contract with ANYONE at what has to be pretty close to absolute League minimum. Maybe he himself is PO'd at his wife for forcing him to play for the Wild last year, and this is his way of proving it.

Either way, I guess all that talk about how badly he needed to get back near his family last season to close out his career was a bunch of BS after all.
He did play the Pens a bit didn't he...if he can crack the squad as the 4th I guess it says one of 2 things...our 4th (Sheahan I assume) is complete junk or Cullen by some miracle still has gas in the tank...fumes likely...

I hate to be opposed to essentially everyone, but I honestly am not at all conflicted with JJ on this roster at a $3.25 million cap hit.

Meanwhile, I wonder how much Pens fans would prefer Ian Cole for the same deal being reported with Colorado at a cap hit a full million dollars higher (though admittedly, for 2 less years) than JJ's ?? Probably quite a bit, I suspect......
Guess I'm with you in the minority...a good sign for the dollars paid imo. If it isn't working out that contract will get bought out fairly easily via trade or other means...still want another D man. DeHaan is out there...and two ways I can confirm Craig Button is an idiot? 'DeHann is a 5-6 D at best' and 'Toronto is officially the team to beat in the league now'....HUH????? Wtf? [roll]

Reactions: COOL MAN
Guess I'm with you in the minority...a good sign for the dollars paid imo. If it isn't working out that contract will get bought out fairly easily via trade or other means...still want another D man. DeHaan is out there...and two ways I can confirm Craig Button is an idiot? 'DeHann is a 5-6 D at best' and 'Toronto is officially the team to beat in the league now'....HUH????? Wtf? [roll]

I'm certain......well, as certain as I can be for someone who has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.....that DeHaan is going to sign somewhere for an AAV of (or probably north of) $4 million; an amount the Pens clearly aren't or prepared to pay with 4 other defenseman already at that cap level.

But I gotta tell you, it was bad enough listening to NHLNR last summer with their taking heads creaming their respective jeans over Edmonton. But I haven't a clue how insufferable they're going to be spending everyday fellating the Leafs while still trying to find time to fit in Jets talk.
At least that'll keep the Craps talk to a comparative minimum.

Meanwhile, I saw a comment on Eklund's site today.....after his report of the Cullen signing.....which proposed Brassard and Maatta to Winnipeg for Trouba (which I thought was creative, if not necessarily realistic).

I'm certain......well, as certain as I can be for someone who has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.....that DeHaan is going to sign somewhere for an AAV of (or probably north of) $4 million; an amount the Pens clearly aren't or prepared to pay with 4 other defenseman already at that cap level.

But I gotta tell you, it was bad enough listening to NHLNR last summer with their taking heads creaming their respective jeans over Edmonton. But I haven't a clue how insufferable they're going to be spending everyday fellating the Leafs while still trying to find time to fit in Jets talk.
At least that'll keep the Craps talk to a comparative minimum.

Meanwhile, I saw a comment on Eklund's site today.....after his report of the Cullen signing.....which proposed Brassard and Maatta to Winnipeg for Trouba (which I thought was creative, if not necessarily realistic).
Oh as we know Ek is certainly 'creative'...hmmm...Trouba is good but imo for those two? Hmmm...I need another piece outta them if I'm GMJR.

And that is just it isn't it...creaming their jeans over Edmonton lol. Better win RIGHT NOW Leaves cause this sign will be an albatross on your cap a year from now...might wanna get a decent backup so Andersen doesnt play 70 odd games too...nevermind a D man with a pulse.

Oh as we know Ek is certainly 'creative'...hmmm...Trouba is good but imo for those two? Hmmm...I need another piece outta them if I'm GMJR.

And that is just it isn't it...creaming their jeans over Edmonton lol. Better win RIGHT NOW Leaves cause this sign will be an albatross on your cap a year from now...might wanna get a decent backup so Andersen doesnt play 70 odd games too...nevermind a D man with a pulse.

For the record, that comment about Trouba was NOT Eklund's, but rather a reader who posted a comment (and admitted it was just a bullshit point).

Meanwhile, now that Matthews has joined the Orr Group, wouldn't you assume his new contract goal will be to exceed the Tavares' deal......especially since it's being reported he turned down $13 million/season (presumably from the Islanders).....and possibly match the McDavid deal (which he probably doesn't deserve) which also belongs to Orr ??

I assume he's going to be an RFA, which means he's got limited leverage. But if AM becomes Tavares' public understudy beginning next season, I'll bet the Orr Group uses the Brisson-negotiated Tavares deal as a target to exceed.....and I doubt the Laffs will want to do that.

For the record, that comment about Trouba was NOT Eklund's, but rather a reader who posted a comment (and admitted it was just a bullshit point).

Meanwhile, now that Matthews has joined the Orr Group, wouldn't you assume his new contract goal will be to exceed the Tavares' deal......especially since it's being reported he turned down $13 million/season (presumably from the Islanders).....and possibly match the McDavid deal (which he probably doesn't deserve) which also belongs to Orr ??

I assume he's going to be an RFA, which means he's got limited leverage. But if AM becomes Tavares' public understudy beginning next season, I'll bet the Orr Group uses the Brisson-negotiated Tavares deal as a target to exceed.....and I doubt the Laffs will want to do that.
Oh for sure...and moreover, what will the crybaby that had mgmt freaking enough to send the Pope down to Zona asap in regards to more icetime do now? You ever seen Matthews in interviews post game CM? It's an eyeopener...no eye contact with interviewer, camera, one word answers... nothing...a total dud....

You know, come to think of it, t, I've never seen nor heard a single interview with Matthews.....and for that matter, only a fairly small handful with McDavid.

In case you missed it......and not that anyone needs this in order to even grudgingly get through this too-friggin-hot summer we're dealing with.....but JJ will reportedly wear #73; a combination of the two numbers he's worn thus far in the League (7 with the Blojax and 3 with the Kings).

Dad Cullen evidently will get back his old #7......meanwhile, Rowney signs for 3 years (!!) with Anaheim, and Kuhnhackl for 1 year with the Islanders (who were clearly looking to him and Leo Komarov as consolation prices for losing Tavares).

In case you missed it......and not that anyone needs this in order to even grudgingly get through this too-friggin-hot summer we're dealing with.....but JJ will reportedly wear #73; a combination of the two numbers he's worn thus far in the League (7 with the Blojax and 3 with the Kings).

Dad Cullen evidently will get back his old #7......meanwhile, Rowney signs for 3 years (!!) with Anaheim, and Kuhnhackl for 1 year with the Islanders (who were clearly looking to him and Leo Komarov as consolation prices for losing Tavares).
3 years? Wow...um ok...
And in other news...I just love this lol. New idiotspeak from the Crusty Columbus Kook...
https://www.tsn.ca/kekalainen-tortorella-fire-back-at-pens-gm-1.1128826

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT