ADVERTISEMENT

Penguins Offseason: 2018

Looking for opinions....if you were GM, what kind of dollars/term would you offer up for the following RFA's ??
  • Riley Sheahan ($2.075 last year)
  • Jamie Oleksiak ($974K last year)
  • Brian Rust ($660K last year)
  • Dominic Simon ($743K last year)
  • Danny Sprong ($743K last year)
  • Tom Kuhnhackl ($660K last year)
  • Tristan Jarry ($650K last year)
  • Frank Corrado ($650K last year)
I am proceeding under the basic assumption Sheahan, Oleksiak, and Rust (though not necessarily in that order) represent the club's top priorities. I have my own opinions as to what those guys will eventually sign for, but I'd like to hear yours first (though I seriously doubt mine differ substantially).

There are other UFA's (like Carter Rowney) and RFA's (like Teddy Blueger and JS Dea); but myself I consider the listed five to be the highest-profile guys past the initial group of three.....that is, if you're willing to include Corrado in that description (and you may not). JMO, Simon and Corrado will accept team-friendly deals solely for the purpose of accelerating their progress toward UFA status (which could be the case for Kuhnkackl as well).

I myself have no clue how strongly the club really feels about Jarry and Sprong who, on paper, remain the franchise's two best prospects (though we all know what GMJR said about Sprong on clean-out day).

well I think you nailed the proper 3 to offer from that group. At this point I'm more interested in who's available that wasn't a penguin last year.

Looking for opinions....if you were GM, what kind of dollars/term would you offer up for the following RFA's ??
  • Riley Sheahan ($2.075 last year)
  • Jamie Oleksiak ($974K last year)
  • Brian Rust ($660K last year)
  • Dominic Simon ($743K last year)
  • Danny Sprong ($743K last year)
  • Tom Kuhnhackl ($660K last year)
  • Tristan Jarry ($650K last year)
  • Frank Corrado ($650K last year)
I am proceeding under the basic assumption Sheahan, Oleksiak, and Rust (though not necessarily in that order) represent the club's top priorities. I have my own opinions as to what those guys will eventually sign for, but I'd like to hear yours first (though I seriously doubt mine differ substantially).

There are other UFA's (like Carter Rowney) and RFA's (like Teddy Blueger and JS Dea); but myself I consider the listed five to be the highest-profile guys past the initial group of three.....that is, if you're willing to include Corrado in that description (and you may not). JMO, Simon and Corrado will accept team-friendly deals solely for the purpose of accelerating their progress toward UFA status (which could be the case for Kuhnkackl as well).

I myself have no clue how strongly the club really feels about Jarry and Sprong who, on paper, remain the franchise's two best prospects (though we all know what GMJR said about Sprong on clean-out day).
Hmmm....well...I agree the top three are priority. Oleksiak may be the easiest to get at a reasonable number imo. I'd bet on 1.5 -2 per over maybe 3? Longer term and dollars? Well, bye bye Big Rig...
Sheahan, will want a raise and likely significantly more than I'd like the Pens to give. No way they can afford more than 2.5 for a 4th line C imo. And I would go no more than 2 maybe 3 years...
Rusty will be the toughest nut to crack imo. He has done yeoman's work and chipped in well offensively over the last couple years, thus obviously deserves a big payday right? Wrong imo...he tailed off markedly down the stretch (at his own $ peril), albiet this was a fairly short timeframe to his full body of work. 660 is damned low for what he brought to the table BUT do we want them throwing bank at him? I would tend to go low , and either somebody else throws an offer out there (doubtful) or you go to arbitration, which I'd be fine with...offer him 2 mil for for 3 years and when his side asks for 3 to 4 mil he gets 2.5-3....
They gotta be damned careful when signing these essentially role players or it's trouble trying to find a F/A or 2 of ANY quality. Hate overpaing for something you can get any one of 30 different shops... Then again they KNOW this...
The last part of your post disturbs me the most...Jarry and Sprong truly are the Pens best prospects. The cupboard is bare...

Do your projections differ greatly? I am a bit of a cheapskate perhaps, but were it MY job, I'd have to be...if they want more $$$ and term it's down the road in Carolina or Phoenix, have at it.

Reactions: COOL MAN
No one wants to talk about this? really?

I would love to see GMJR trade Letang but what franchise would be dumb enough to do it? An aging defenseman with a history of concussions and a stroke at $7.2 mill per. Not exactly trade bait. Like it or not Letang will be a Pen next season.

I would love to see GMJR trade Letang but what franchise would be dumb enough to do it? An aging defenseman with a history of concussions and a stroke at $7.2 mill per. Not exactly trade bait. Like it or not Letang will be a Pen next season.

agree completely. but the florida panthers exist for a reason.

Reactions: WVRON
agree completely. but the florida panthers exist for a reason.
True...and the Canes and the Coyotes et al...anyone is tradeable.

So lets say there is a 'suitor'...they'll definitely want a few prospects and we know who the #1 request would be, salary retained (likely 2 mil?) , ask Pens to take one or two complete stiffs in return as well? I'd love to think it would get us into the Karlsson sweepstakes but no way the Pens have enough $$$ after taking dead contracts back in return , I guess the goal is to simply get rid of an albatross contract , and the gaffes which seem to be multiplying...hard to come out on the winning end in the first year or two afterward...which is the major problem. Need to win NOW.

If the Seattle franchise comes to fruition I’m hoping we leave him exposed and maybe they’ll claim him as he’s still a big name. Maybe we could sweeten the deal for them even.
Oh he'd be exposed alright...definitely need to sweeten that deal. Not impossible to do though...

Reactions: WVRON
If the Seattle franchise comes to fruition I’m hoping we leave him exposed and maybe they’ll claim him as he’s still a big name. Maybe we could sweeten the deal for them even.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think Letang has an NMC in his contract......which means the team would be FORCED to protect him (as they did last summer) in the next expansion Draft.

Now, if you're figuring they'll construct a deal (a la Flower) to incentivize Seattle to take him, don't forget that Letang has to AGREE to do that as Flower did, and I myself wouldn't want to bet on that (see Dion Phaneuf).

Plus, there are already some theories being bandied about that those side deals MIGHT be abolished in the next Draft anyway (which I myself doubt will happen) .

Reactions: torontoeers
Hmmm....well...I agree the top three are priority. Oleksiak may be the easiest to get at a reasonable number imo. I'd bet on 1.5 -2 per over maybe 3? Longer term and dollars? Well, bye bye Big Rig...
Sheahan, will want a raise and likely significantly more than I'd like the Pens to give. No way they can afford more than 2.5 for a 4th line C imo. And I would go no more than 2 maybe 3 years...
Rusty will be the toughest nut to crack imo. He has done yeoman's work and chipped in well offensively over the last couple years, thus obviously deserves a big payday right? Wrong imo...he tailed off markedly down the stretch (at his own $ peril), albiet this was a fairly short timeframe to his full body of work. 660 is damned low for what he brought to the table BUT do we want them throwing bank at him? I would tend to go low , and either somebody else throws an offer out there (doubtful) or you go to arbitration, which I'd be fine with...offer him 2 mil for for 3 years and when his side asks for 3 to 4 mil he gets 2.5-3....
They gotta be damned careful when signing these essentially role players or it's trouble trying to find a F/A or 2 of ANY quality. Hate overpaing for something you can get any one of 30 different shops... Then again they KNOW this...
The last part of your post disturbs me the most...Jarry and Sprong truly are the Pens best prospects. The cupboard is bare...

Do your projections differ greatly? I am a bit of a cheapskate perhaps, but were it MY job, I'd have to be...if they want more $$$ and term it's down the road in Carolina or Phoenix, have at it.

I'm assuming the Sheahan camp will be looking for a Bonino-type, 4 year/$16 million deal, even though he doesn't have anywhere near comparable pedigree. He's obviously not getting anything like that from the Pens with Brassard on the roster, and I'm not even sure if GMJR wants to re-up him for multiple years anyway. My guess is the best he can hope to get from the Pens is in the low 3's for MAYBE two years.

I imagine Rig is looking for a similar 4/15 type of deal; which again, I can't see him getting from the Pens. If GMJR can sign him for a 1 year bridge deal in the $2.5-3.0 range, I myself think he'll do that. Best thing in Rig's favor with the Pens regarding a long term deal is the franchise's laughable depth at defense.

Then there's Rusty, who everyone loves dearly......and who couldn't have picked a worse time to disappear. The team got burned (thus far, at least) on the 3/9 they gave Sheary, which I assume is what Rusty was hoping for this time a year ago.....and which Rusty simply doesn't deserve right now. I also assume he's more valuable to the Pens than anyone else, which I can't prove.

Not sure he'd be anxious to sign a 1 year bridge deal in the $1.5-2.0 million range, but that'd probably be best for the team right now to see if he can get back his touch next season.

From Tim Benz's piece in this morning's Trib Review.....this comes off Ron Cook's column in the Post Gazette the other day essentially blaming the loss to the Craps largely on Kessel and his deteriorating relationship with HCMS. I assume most will assume the most likely trade partner would be Arizona; but who knows.

The Penguins are trying to trade Phil Kessel.

That's according to Mark Madden of the team's flagship station, 105.9 FM. He made the statement on his radio show yesterday.

According to Madden, the Penguins are going to try to move Kessel to another team this offseason, and "Kessel is OK with that."

As Madden phrased it, "the key word is try." He couched the chances of a potential deal happening because of Kessel's $6.8 million price tag and his reputation of being a hard player to coach.

Madden cited "sources close to the Penguins and to Phil Kessel." His explanation for Kessel's endorsement of a potential trade stems from two points.

The first of which is Kessel's alleged displeasure over the fact that he hasn't been able to play on a line with Evgeni Malkin full-time, instead being used as the balancing point for head coach Mike Sullivan to spread his top talent over three scoring lines.

The second is "underlying dissatisfaction" between Kessel and Sullivan.

Madden didn't mention any specific trade targets in terms of others teams or reported players coming back in return.

The Penguins winger has played in Pittsburgh the last three years and has won two Stanley Cups. He hasn't missed a game since 2010 when he played in Toronto. Kessel apparently played through injury last year, some believe to the detriment of his game in the name of that "Ironman" streak.

Kessel posted 34 goals and a career high 92 points. But he was a shadow of himself in the postseason, scoring just once in 12 games.

Reactions: Irwineer2
From Tim Benz's piece in this morning's Trib Review.....this comes off Ron Cook's column in the Post Gazette the other day essentially blaming the loss to the Craps largely on Kessel and his deteriorating relationship with HCMS. I assume most will assume the most likely trade partner would be Arizona; but who knows.

The Penguins are trying to trade Phil Kessel.

That's according to Mark Madden of the team's flagship station, 105.9 FM. He made the statement on his radio show yesterday.

According to Madden, the Penguins are going to try to move Kessel to another team this offseason, and "Kessel is OK with that."

As Madden phrased it, "the key word is try." He couched the chances of a potential deal happening because of Kessel's $6.8 million price tag and his reputation of being a hard player to coach.

Madden cited "sources close to the Penguins and to Phil Kessel." His explanation for Kessel's endorsement of a potential trade stems from two points.

The first of which is Kessel's alleged displeasure over the fact that he hasn't been able to play on a line with Evgeni Malkin full-time, instead being used as the balancing point for head coach Mike Sullivan to spread his top talent over three scoring lines.

The second is "underlying dissatisfaction" between Kessel and Sullivan.

Madden didn't mention any specific trade targets in terms of others teams or reported players coming back in return.

The Penguins winger has played in Pittsburgh the last three years and has won two Stanley Cups. He hasn't missed a game since 2010 when he played in Toronto. Kessel apparently played through injury last year, some believe to the detriment of his game in the name of that "Ironman" streak.

Kessel posted 34 goals and a career high 92 points. But he was a shadow of himself in the postseason, scoring just once in 12 games.

just read that piece. good god I hope this happens. would free up some space to sign a dman but the pens would likely have to eat some contract. I'd take a used puck bag in return for him.

I finally had a chance to read Josh Yohe's piece from The Athletic; I don't believe Vernon likes when folks copy/paste pieces like this, particularly from subscription sites (which is why I don't do it from DK's site, either). With that in mind, here are the key highlights:
  • This isn't exactly new news....but Kessel was supposedly PO'd having been paired with Brassard or Sheahan rather than Geno in the playoffs, and was viewed internally to have been "pouty" about it (and which is thought might have affected his play).
  • Pens coaches supposedly reached their limit with Kessel's iron man streak a year ago, after he played in the 82nd game when the rest of the first teamers (at the team's request) took the night off to rest.
  • Consensus is that the issue here is basically Kessel versus HCMS, and that neither individual likes the other. Yohe said this was/is similar to the Sully/Cole situation, where he said Sully felt Cole spent too much time kowtowing to the Press (which I myself still never noticed from the outside looking in).
  • Meanwhile, Yohe claims his teammates have no issues with Kessel's "eccentricities"; evidently taking the "that's Phil" attitude surrounding his normal behavior. Said another way, since nobody views Kessel as any kind of leader, he's granted an unusual amount of leeway in the room.
  • Yohe says the team isn't shopping Kessel, but would gladly listen to offers.....while acknowledging the Pens likely can't win any deal for Kessel. He also feels as though Kessel simply "is who he is" and this is, more than anything else, simply a case of two men who just shouldn't be in close proximity to one another on this earth.
Of course, Kessel came to town with the reputation as a coach killer to begin with; so, I'm not sure there's any intent to portray Sully as the bad guy here. But I suppose a case can be made that moving Kessel out might be better for the long-term mental health of both individuals.

Not that anyone asked, but I'd say I myself fall out generally on the side that the team (currently, at least) is better off with Kessel than without him; partially because he can score, and partially because I agree they can't make a good deal for him (at least as it applies to returning assets).

Meanwhile, you probably saw that Elliotte Friedman was tossing around Max Domi's name as a possible off-season target for the Pens. Not sure the intent was to align him (even in an extended manner) with a possible deal for Kessel. Of course, it's no secret that Mario and Ty Domi are close buddies; almost assuredly, the keystone of this particular discussion.

Reactions: DocEER
Didn't he score 30 in 17? I'd hold onto him for another year. I think he has a potential as a third line wing

He disappeared in the playoffs and he’s weak on the puck. At $3 mill per I think we can do better.

The obvious problem with a kid like Sheary is who wants to take him on after the legitimately miserable season he just finished. And unfortunately, he's still got 2 years/$ 6 million of his contract left. Seems to me the only way to regain any real value for him is to try him again next year and pray (even though I have no reason to believe HCMS is anxious to have him dressed in B&G on the first day of camp).

That is, unless someone else has a $3 million mistake floating around in their organization as well.

Speaking of the Draft..... to which, of course, nobody rooting for the Pens pays attention anymore.....I've been wondering how many untouched (meaning, no trades at the top) Drafts would the franchise need to begin a reasonable rebuild of their currently desolate System.

Assuming that means a 1-2-3 pick.....and accounting for the inevitable mistakes (which seemingly happens more often than not in the NHL).....I'm thinking they need at least three (3) of them, though I suppose you can get it kicked-off with as few as two. That means the first chance to make this happen is obviously next season. What do you think ??

Oh, and we're going to be moaning exceptionally loud on Draft Day in (I think) in 2020 when the Pens.....who'll likely be picking higher than at anytime in over a decade......see their #2 pick used by Vegas (from the Fleury deal). I didn't mind.....well, at least not terribly so.....that GMJR gave up a #2 in the Expansion Draft to protect Murray; but I hated that it was going to be in 2 years when the team will actually be giving a shit about Draft picks.

Of course, GMJR will be retired by then; so what in the hell does he care. BTW....speaking of Vegas.....you may not realize they don't have a #1 pick this year (traded to DET with the NYI #2 pick in 2019 and their own #3 pick in 2021 for Thomas Tatar).

Meanwhile, according to Pensburgh, the Pens have 6 selections beginning June 23 (2-53, 3-64, 5-129, 5-146, 6-177, and 7-208). They traded 1-22 to Ottawa for Brassard and 3-64.....and 3-84 to Detroit for Sheahan and 5-129.

Not that this matters, but NHLN Radio Pens "Insider" Brian Metzer said Friday on Boomer Gordon's show he thought the team's priority order among their RFA's was Oleksiak #1 and Rust #2 (with Sheahan, I believe, falling below those two).

Just wondering if you agree with the following statement from the Trib-Review's Jonathan Bombulie as part of his (future) assessment of the left side of the Pens defense:

Brian Dumoulin, Olli Maatta and Jamie Oleksiak are 26 or younger, and all are coming off strong seasons.

Dumoulin, 26, had a career-high five goals and 18 points, and more importantly, saw his ice time continue to tick upward as he took on more of the responsibilities of a top-pairing defenseman.

Maatta, still just 23, played all 82 games for the first time in his injury-riddled career, and in the playoffs, he was on the ice for just three even-strength goals against in almost 200 minutes of ice time.

Oleksiak, 25, was the latest change-of-scenery success story on the Penguins blue line, showing off a healthy combination of puck skills and physicality after a midseason trade from Dallas.

I'm not trying to cause an argument; mostly because I'm truthfully not all that interested in this particular discussion. But I did find myself wondering if I thought each of these guys actually had a "strong" season:

• Dumo was a top pairing guy, and therefore expected to play well. But he was admittedly stuck covering up for Letang seemingly the entire season, and his bad moments in the playoffs seemed to far outweigh the good things he did (which I suppose is the way it works for a defenseman).
  • I myself don't really recall all that much exceptional play from Maatta, though I have no problem crediting him for playing all 82 games (which is a fairly uncommon occurrence in the game these days).
  • As for Oleksiak, I don't think too many will dispute his first 20 or so games were a comparative revelation. But (as has been widely reported), he did seem to drop off rather significantly as the season progressed....largely after his partner Cole was moved......and was largely invisible in the playoffs (perhaps mostly because HCMS went largely to the base 4-man defensive rotation that was so common throughout the League in this year's playoffs).
What do you guys think ??

Has zero to do with the Pens, but I love this Domi for Galchenyuk trade. No clue (and really don't care) if this is a good deal for either team, but I just appreciate the basic optics. Probably because so few trades (other than FA for FA-type deals) these days.....and those involving known names, in particular......are done in a one-for-one manner anymore.

Has zero to do with the Pens, but I love this Domi for Galchenyuk trade. No clue (and really don't care) if this is a good deal for either team, but I just appreciate the basic optics. Probably because so few trades (other than FA for FA-type deals) these days.....and those involving known names, in particular......are done in a one-for-one manner anymore.

Web reports late today saying the Pens were offering Sheary straight up for Domi.....which I wouldn't have taken if I were Chayka either.....while the Yotes wanted Guentzel. Fortunately, the guy who signed Semin for 5/35 hung up when Chayka made THAT demand.

What's the view here on Tavares of late? Think he sticks around with the Isles? IMO he bolts...
Does he sign long term somewhere or a shorter 1 or 2 year deal with a serious contender that has some cap space?
I find myself for some odd reason thinking Buffalo? It's relatively close to family, they have oodles of cap space, gives a helluva 1/2 punch with Eichel, they have the #1 pick, a seemingly capable GM with our onetime boy Boteril, his uncle John is a legend in town with his lacrosse Bandits career, and an owner with deep pockets. Not sure how his buddy Moulson could figure into it since he's buried in the minors with that 6 mil contract, and likely out of gas...maybe that actually sways him in a completely opposite direction as per some 'friendly' advice...thoughts? Some still bullish on Montreal? Were I Johnny T I'd want NO PART of that franchise currently, at least with Bergevin at the helm...Vancouver? They are pretty much a dumpster fire as well...

What's the view here on Tavares of late? Think he sticks around with the Isles? IMO he bolts...
Does he sign long term somewhere or a shorter 1 or 2 year deal with a serious contender that has some cap space?
I find myself for some odd reason thinking Buffalo? It's relatively close to family, they have oodles of cap space, gives a helluva 1/2 punch with Eichel, they have the #1 pick, a seemingly capable GM with our onetime boy Boteril, his uncle John is a legend in town with his lacrosse Bandits career, and an owner with deep pockets. Not sure how his buddy Moulson could figure into it since he's buried in the minors with that 6 mil contract, and likely out of gas...maybe that actually sways him in a completely opposite direction as per some 'friendly' advice...thoughts? Some still bullish on Montreal? Were I Johnny T I'd want NO PART of that franchise currently, at least with Bergevin at the helm...Vancouver? They are pretty much a dumpster fire as well...

Everything I'm posting here....well, except for my last point......came from NHLN Radio media interviews/talking points since the Finals (making this the biggest current story in the League), so you're free to accept or ignore anything listed.

FWIW, I myself am on record as thinking he'll stay with the Isles, simply because nobody can offer him a bigger deal (and that's still what most players are looking for). I also don't know what's perking in JT's head, so my opinion means absolutely nothing.
  • Pope Lou was said to have been speaking to JT essentially everyday since getting his new Isles job; with that in mind, many folks are now thinking this full-court press puts the Islanders in the lead. Of course, nobody has a clue how long Lou willl be around; so, if I were Pat Brisson, I myself wouldn't put much stock into that.
  • One of NHLN Radio's guest interviewees.....might have been Doug Honegger......strongly believes JT is headed to either LA or San Jose. If I'm not mistaken, he believes a key factor....beside the fact both (though more so the Sharks) are Cup contenders.....is that Brisson is supposedly very good friends with both Rob Blake and Doug Wilson.
  • The Predators are also being talked about a fair amount; a deal which theoretically would be accompanied by some manner of trade involving Kyle Turris (a trade which I've admittedly only heard talked about once).
  • I've been hearing nothing (recently, at least) which associates JT with the Sabres.....though I admit I've never before heard about any connection his family has (meaning this Uncle John) to Buffalo. He can get as much money elsewhere, and doesn't have to be second banana on Day 1 to Rasmus Dahlin.
  • I also heard someone bouncing around the Canucks as a possible landing spot, but I think the consensus is they're hardly a signiicantly better situation than Long Island (unless he's in love with the city, which may be the case).
  • Finally, I'm not hearing the Leafs associated with JT as much as I was during the season (even though all the talking heads are dying for this to happen). Seems to me they've still got this Matthews signing to worry about (unless they're prepared to offer JT a max deal and let Matthews leave town).
  • There is clearly a body of quiet thought the Rangers will ultmately be a major player in this derby, which has always made made sense to me for a team like that with (now) a lot of cap space.

Meanwhile, so long Trotzy, it's been good to know you in Washington. Obviously seems to prove Leonsis never had any intention to re-sign him no matter what he did this season.

Nice job knocking some of the gloss off the last 2 weeks, Ted....

Everything I'm posting here....well, except for my last point......came from NHLN Radio media interviews/talking points since the Finals (making this the biggest current story in the League), so you're free to accept or ignore anything listed.

FWIW, I myself am on record as thinking he'll stay with the Isles, simply because nobody can offer him a bigger deal (and that's still what most players are looking for). I also don't know what's perking in JT's head, so my opinion means absolutely nothing.
  • Pope Lou was said to have been speaking to JT essentially everyday since getting his new Isles job; with that in mind, many folks are now thinking this full-court press puts the Islanders in the lead. Of course, nobody has a clue how long Lou willl be around; so, if I were Pat Brisson, I myself wouldn't put much stock into that.
  • One of NHLN Radio's guest interviewees.....might have been Doug Honegger......strongly believes JT is headed to either LA or San Jose. If I'm not mistaken, he believes a key factor....beside the fact both (though more so the Sharks) are Cup contenders.....is that Brisson is supposedly very good friends with both Rob Blake and Doug Wilson.
  • The Predators are also being talked about a fair amount; a deal which theoretically would be accompanied by some manner of trade involving Kyle Turris (a trade which I've admittedly only heard talked about once).
  • I've been hearing nothing (recently, at least) which associates JT with the Sabres.....though I admit I've never before heard about any connection his family has (meaning this Uncle John) to Buffalo. He can get as much money elsewhere, and doesn't have to be second banana on Day 1 to Rasmus Dahlin.
  • I also heard someone bouncing around the Canucks as a possible landing spot, but I think the consensus is they're hardly a signiicantly better situation than Long Island (unless he's in love with the city, which may be the case).
  • Finally, I'm not hearing the Leafs associated with JT as much as I was during the season (even though all the talking heads are dying for this to happen). Seems to me they've still got this Matthews signing to worry about (unless they're prepared to offer JT a max deal and let Matthews leave town).
  • There is clearly a body of quiet thought the Rangers will ultmately be a major player in this derby, which has always made made sense to me for a team like that with (now) a lot of cap space.
That first point on Pope Lou had me thinkin as well...'why the hell am I stickin around for you when clearly you aren't here long term'...then again now that wingnut Wang is firmly in the background and Snow the village idiot is gone, maybe there is hope for them...for some stupid reason the Sabres are still kickin around in my head.
Oh and ya...classy move Craps...can I still say that? Meh...of course I can. F em.

Oh and ya...classy move Craps...can I still say that? Meh...of course I can. F em.

Trotz is wrapping up a 4 year/$6 million deal, which is now being reported to have included a 2 year extension (with a $300K annual raise) IF the Craps won the Cup. That would have raised Trotzy's annual salary to $1.8 million, which he reportedly thought was an insult given some of the salaries (Babcock, Quenneville, Julian) of current League coaches.

He was said to have been looking for a 5 year/$25 million deal, and supposedly never backed off (or at least VERY little) his demand. The Craps obviously proceeded as if they already had a deal in principle, and apparently didn't move off THEIR number much more than Trotz.

So Trotz is out (headed to the Islanders, I think most will assume) and they'll elevate Todd Reirdon......presumably at a number comparable to what they paid Trotz......and that'll be that. My own guess is the top of the Craps roster couldn't give two shits who's coaching them, especially now that the pressure is off them (and the franchise).

But this entire situation reflects particularly badly on owner Leonsis, who has (IMO) NEVER needed extra help to come off as the world-class douche bag he's always been.

ESPN's John Buccigross tweeting tonight that he wonders if the Craps might actually force Trotz to sit out this season because they supposedly had a contract with him......

• DK reporting the Pens will not be in Washington on their banner-raising night (10/3/18) as was previously theorized; the Craps will apparently play the Bruins. However, the Craps will be in Pittsburgh the next night (10/4/18) for the Pens home opener. Full schedule, according to the Pens website, is coming on Thursday at 530PM EDT.
  • Meanwhile, it's Awards night, and I myself seriously doubt I'll even turn it on; mostly because it's typically a miserably awful Show.....the Pens don't have anyone up for any trophies.....and because I'm not interested in seeing all the cameras focus on Ovechkin all night.
  • One more thing; it's gone public today that Artemi Panarin is in no hurry to sign the minimum 8/72 deal most believe it will take to secure him. The current thought is that Columbus may not be a big enough market for him; he's already played for 5 teams as a pro (in NA and Russia) so, he's viwed to have no ties anywhere (including Columbus). So, Jarmo Kekalainen is thought to be preparing to shop him in return for a Top 6 forward and a forward prospect.
If Panarin insists on a big market, how will someone like Chicago.....which would certainly be interested in bringing him back (and where I believe he was thought to have been bummed having been traded away from)...... fit a salary like this under their Cap ?? Not sure moving Brandon Saad again would be enough. You'd think the Rangers would love to have him, as would Los Angeles (who's in the market for scoring forwards) and probably even the Flyers. The Athletic is also throwing around Dallas as a possible landing spot.​

• DK reporting the Pens will not be in Washington on their banner-raising night (10/3/18) as was previously theorized; the Craps will apparently play the Bruins. However, the Craps will be in Pittsburgh the next night (10/4/18) for the Pens home opener. Full schedule, according to the Pens website, is coming on Thursday at 530PM EDT.
  • Meanwhile, it's Awards night, and I myself seriously doubt I'll even turn it on; mostly because it's typically a miserably awful Show.....the Pens don't have anyone up for any trophies.....and because I'm not interested in seeing all the cameras focus on Ovechkin all night.
  • One more thing; it's gone public today that Artemi Panarin is in no hurry to sign the minimum 8/72 deal most believe it will take to secure him. The current thought is that Columbus may not be a big enough market for him; he's already played for 5 teams as a pro (in NA and Russia) so, he's viwed to have no ties anywhere (including Columbus). So, Jarmo Kekalainen is thought to be preparing to shop him in return for a Top 6 forward and a forward prospect.
If Panarin insists on a big market, how will someone like Chicago.....which would certainly be interested in bringing him back (and where I believe he was thought to have been bummed having been traded away from)...... fit a salary like this under their Cap ?? Not sure moving Brandon Saad again would be enough. You'd think the Rangers would love to have him, as would Los Angeles (who's in the market for scoring forwards) and probably even the Flyers. The Athletic is also throwing around Dallas as a possible landing spot.​
Personally I figured the Rangers might let go of one or two of those picks to get Panarin, so I feel your vibe there...doesn't look like it....

Good god....do I ever HATE Bettman...such a little weasel. And the crowd knows it...I'd love to boo with them right now...
And in other news, looks like 81 remains a Pen for now....

Port Perry Ontario's Ty Dellandrea was selected in the first round by Dallas...at home in their own arena...ya we are proud here tonight. Bout the only small town in Canada (12,000 strong) to never have a first round pick nevermind NHL player...ya we are proud tonight! Why not a Pen lol???!!!??? Go rip it up Ty! :smiley:

Reactions: Euell and COOL MAN
Trying to figure out if Grubauer for a #2 was a good enough deal for Colorado do the Craps the positively IMMENSE favor of taking Orpik's deal off their hands.

I realize the Craps supposedly wanted a #1 in exchange (which is meaningless to me), but moving Orpik likely cemented Carlson's resigning in Washington; and I don't know anything......including re-signing Trotz.....that was (or should have been) more important for the Craps this summer.

Guess the only thing left to hope for is Carlson deciding he's SO pissed off at the Craps for the way they treated Trotz that he just wants to get out of town with his ring. From the get-go, there seemed to be at least SOME reason to believe he'd had his fill with the Craps.....maybe he doesn't get along that well with Ovechkin..... but you have to assume that would have passed this Spring.

Maybe it's not worth talking about in the grand scheme of things, but I can't believe Sakic didn't demand at least another decent pick (or a fringe roster player) to make this deal. Guess I hope Sakic ends up getting stuck with Orpik and his $5.75 million (especially because he's already said he plans to flip Orpik).

Last edited:
Corey Pronman of The Athletic's assessment of Pens 2nd Rounder Calen Addison, who he called one of the 10 best remaining players after Round 1....

Calen Addison: Addison is one of the better skaters in the draft class. He’s able to lead a rush due to how quickly he can transition the puck from his own end into the offensive zone. On top of the speed, he brings impressive skill and vision from the back end, able to show off his hands at full speed and look to stretch the ice with his passes. He’s an offensive-minded guy who can activate into the play, although I found him a little too passive at even strength to try and push the pace. Addison likes to make plays, but he has a decent point shot, too. The main drawback is that Addison is a tiny defender who, despite being reasonably smart, can struggle to win defensive battles and is just adequate defending at the WHL level. I think he’ll be a second/third round guy; there are mixed opinions on him in the NHL.

Port Perry Ontario's Ty Dellandrea was selected in the first round by Dallas...at home in their own arena...ya we are proud here tonight. Bout the only small town in Canada (12,000 strong) to never have a first round pick nevermind NHL player...ya we are proud tonight! Why not a Pen lol???!!!??? Go rip it up Ty! :smiley:

Always nice to see a local kid......regardless WHAT local means in the particular discussion......make good. I read at least one analyst say the kid has a MAJOR future in front of him; just too bad the NHL seems to be THE most elusive among the major sports for its young draftees.

Of course......like the majority of these kids beyond the top half dozen or so picks.....he's still thought to be 2-3 years from challenging for a spot in the league, so who REALLY knows his future. But I'm certain it'll still be fun for you folks to follow the kid's progress.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT