ADVERTISEMENT

Penguins Offseason: 2018

Wouldn’t take much to turn it. Literally 1-2 dudes on the blue would transform it.

I don't think this is the direction the league is going... they got burned by 1 guy who makes 8 million a year. I do agree they need some guys who are tough but they have to skate. a tough combination to find.

Reactions: torontoeers
I would love to know the real story here.

Me too. The players loved him, he worked hard and did all the dirty work, like blocking shots. Supposedly, Ottawa didn’t even ask for him specifically in the trade but GMJR offered him. Sully for some reason wanted him gone. The players were baffled as to why Hunwick would play and Cole was sitting in the luxury box. Did he bang Sully’s wife or what? Just doesn’t make a bit of sense.

Me too. The players loved him, he worked hard and did all the dirty work, like blocking shots. Supposedly, Ottawa didn’t even ask for him specifically in the trade but GMJR offered him. Sully for some reason wanted him gone. The players were baffled as to why Hunwick would play and Cole was sitting in the luxury box. Did he bang Sully’s wife or what? Just doesn’t make a bit of sense.

Sounds like Sprong, always in Sullivan's doghouse. He offers more than Sheary. Sheary sucks and I fully expect him to be 1 of the players gone. That opens up $3 million. Sheary never does crap in playoffs and his regular season was even bad this year. Struggles to stay on his skates and if he's not scoring, he doesn't offer much else. Talk about a guy who can't play defense. Sprong kept being criticized for no defense when Sheary plays no defense and has no shot like like Sprong. GMJR made it clear today that Sprong will be a regular guy next year which is about damn time because if he's not, you should trade him at the Draft before you destroy his value like they did with Pouliot.

we will never know but wouldn't you have rather had ian cole than derek brassard this post season?

Sounds like Sprong, always in Sullivan's doghouse. He offers more than Sheary. Sheary sucks and I fully expect him to be 1 of the players gone. That opens up $3 million. Sheary never does crap in playoffs and his regular season was even bad this year. Struggles to stay on his skates and if he's not scoring, he doesn't offer much else. Talk about a guy who can't play defense. Sprong kept being criticized for no defense when Sheary plays no defense and has no shot like like Sprong. GMJR made it clear today that Sprong will be a regular guy next year which is about damn time because if he's not, you should trade him at the Draft before you destroy his value like they did with Pouliot.

I never understood why they gave Sheary that new deal last year. And they way most of our guys played this post season what would it have hurt throwing Sprong in there?

Reactions: Irwineer2
we will never know but wouldn't you have rather had ian cole than derek brassard this post season?

Easy to say that after the fact but while I was happy we got Brass I never understood why we jettisoned Cole when Ottawa didn’t even ask for him. Why weaken your blue line? I still think Brass will be an asset for us but we made that trade with the post season in mind.so to answer your question, yea I would have rather had Cole.

Easy to say that after the fact but while I was happy we got Brass I never understood why we jettisoned Cole when Ottawa didn’t even ask for him. Why weaken your blue line? I still think Brass will be an asset for us but we made that trade with the post season in mind.so to answer your question, yea I would have rather had Cole.
Need my boy RR in there to kick ass.

Reactions: WVRON

as injured as this team was, sadly I don't think it would have mattered.

It will be interesting to see what they do this summer but I really hope they keep and use their 1st round pick. I have no idea what's out there on the market for dmen as far as free agents go.

as injured as this team was, sadly I don't think it would have mattered.

It will be interesting to see what they do this summer but I really hope they keep and use their 1st round pick. I have no idea what's out there on the market for dmen as far as free agents go.

If you mean in 2018, nope.....traded to Ottawa for Brassard.

I would love to know the real story here.

Me too......the scribes made what seemed at the time to be silly implications that HCMS didn't like Cole's relationship (supposedly, a little too cushy for his comfort) with the media. But why that would be sufficient reason to drive him off the roster altogether never made any sense to me.

I did wonder if Cole might have fed Room info to the press that Sully ultimately didn't appreciate.......

From everything I could glean, GMJR worked his ass off to move Sheary at the deadline but couldn't find any takers.

In the strictest terms, he's not absurdly paid (at $3 million).....and his term isn't out of hand (2 more years).....but I also seriously doubt they're interested in a $3 million 4th liner whose 2017/18 went about as bad as it could possibly go.

No doubt GMJR will try hard to move him again, but I'd personally be surprised if it happened.

From everything I could glean, GMJR worked his ass off to move Sheary at the deadline but couldn't find any takers.

In the strictest terms, he's not absurdly paid (at $3 million).....and his term isn't out of hand (2 more years).....but I also seriously doubt they're interested in a $3 million 4th liner whose 2017/18 went about as bad as it could possibly go.

No doubt GMJR will try hard to move him again, but I'd personally be surprised if it happened.
Will be much easier to move now than the deadline though. Hard to move people at deadline, very few teams are buyers. Hunwick should also be moved which now should be more possible buyers for him too. Maybe back to Toronto? I’d take a 6th round pick, the cap space is most valuable asset they’d acquire by dumping him. I’d even throw in a 5th lmao

Me too......the scribes made what seemed at the time to be silly implications that HCMS didn't like Cole's relationship (supposedly, a little too cushy for his comfort) with the media. But why that would be sufficient reason to drive him off the roster altogether never made any sense to me.

I did wonder if Cole might have fed Room info to the press that Sully ultimately didn't appreciate.......

for the record, I don't believe any of this story the team is floating out there.

I don't think this is the direction the league is going... they got burned by 1 guy who makes 8 million a year. I do agree they need some guys who are tough but they have to skate. a tough combination to find.
De Haan outta the Isles on D...would likely come a bit cheaper after a shoulder injury sidelined him half the year. Good skater, shot blocker and only 27 yo.
Maroon LW whom I wanted pretty badly when he was available out of Anahiem a few years back. Strong skating big boy who can score with a good C. Would be curious to see him with a healthy Brass...making 2 mil now and likely would get at a reasonsble price if offered a bit of term.
Those would be my two, based on pricepoint, skill and need.

No thanks to JVR. Will be too expensive and for a big boy he doesnt play a tough enough game.

De Haan outta the Isles on D...would likely come a bit cheaper after a shoulder injury sidelined him half the year. Good skater, shot blocker and only 27 yo.
Maroon LW whom I wanted pretty badly when he was available out of Anahiem a few years back. Strong skating big boy who can score with a good C. Would be curious to see him with a healthy Brass...making 2 mil now and likely would get at a reasonsble price if offered a bit of term.
Those would be my two, based on pricepoint, skill and need.

No thanks to JVR. Will be too expensive and for a big boy he doesnt play a tough enough game.

Here’s an interesting article. I don’t think there’s much chance of it happening but how sweet it would be.

https://www.pensburgh.com/2018/5/12...-sign-john-tavares-islanders-contracts-rumors

Reactions: torontoeers
Reactions: WVRON
Here’s an interesting article. I don’t think there’s much chance of it happening but how sweet it would be.

https://www.pensburgh.com/2018/5/12...-sign-john-tavares-islanders-contracts-rumors

I read the piece, and frankly found it to be silly on its face.

Not sure why a kid like Tavares would want to take a salary hair cut....the Islanders (and possibly the Canadiens) will almost assuredly offer him max deals......while coming in as 2nd (or 3rd) on the Guins' centers food chain. And it's not like the Penguins Cup trajectory is still on the rise.

Fun after season read, I guess.....but it's already out of my personal consciousness.

Honest to ****in Rudy who the **** is Madden to be stating what GMJR will and wont be doing mid season so definitively? What a ****in tool...and what the hell has Sprong ever done since called up anyway? This type SHIT makes me laugh my ass off ...seriously. Sounds like some shock jock lookin for hits....oh yeah, and it's not as though I have been some kind of Kessel parade leader either...laughable. Somebody go smack this guy in his slack jaw...at least attempt to seem objective. I knew from line one, before he even got into the piss/bitch shit of his scribe where he was going...

Last edited:
Honest to ****in Rudy who the **** is Madden to be stating what GMJR will and wont be doing mid season so definitively? What a ****in tool...and what the hell has Sprong ever done since called up anyway? This type SHIT makes me laugh my ass off ...seriously. Sounds like some shock jock lookin for hits....oh yeah, and it's not as though I have been some kind of Kessel parade leader either...laughable. Somebody go smack this guy in his slack jaw...at least attempt to seem objective. I knew from line one, before he even got into the piss/bitch shit of his scribe where he was going...

to be fair double has spoke very well of phil, until now.

I'd be all in favor of him finding his way out of town.

I never understood why they gave Sheary that new deal last year. And they way most of our guys played this post season what would it have hurt throwing Sprong in there?

Didn't he score 30 in 17? I'd hold onto him for another year. I think he has a potential as a third line wing

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT