ADVERTISEMENT

OC/Wide Receivers Coach | Portal

Captain EER

All-Conference
Sep 21, 2005
First let me just say I rarely post. I've been on this board since it was available in the early 2000s, but I just don't have the time to post. Also let me state I really like Coach Brown and I am 100% behind him. I believe he will get this program to where it needs to be just like Frank Beamer did at Va Tech (after he had rough start) and other successful coaches that the school had patience to work with. What's the other option...try to run him off like we did Bowden in 1974 or Nehlen a few times in his tenure with planes flying over with banners?

With that said, I cannot discount a problem I see with not only our offense, but the players leaving in the portal that have played in this offense. Gerard Parker is the OC and seems like a pretty smart guys that knows his stuff. However, despite the many excuses (many valid like FR on the line), our offense at times has looked horrible. You cannot blame all of that on Doege. He has had no consistent run game or pass protection for 3 years. As far as play calling, knowing the limitations we have, I scratch my head knowing why we have tried to do things that puts our offense in a bad position. Case in point, during the bowl game we have two back to back runs by Mathis that gained great yardage and got our first first dowms of the game. So what did we do on the next play. Doege drops back...sacked. Next play.....sacked in an ugly fashion. 3rd and long and again ugly. Why could we not have tried another damn Mathis run Nehlen converstative style. Maybe try another one after that and at least have a manageable 3rd down. I am not talking about going back to Woody Hayes and a cloud of dust offense, but I don't think the OC (or Brown) always put us in the right postion to be successful.

All of this leads me to the wide receivers leaving. Parker is not only the OC but the receivers coach. Ryan just announced portal. This follows Wright our leading receiver and Edsale that I guess wanted to be with his gf. We also had Sam Brown earlier in the year and some grumblings as I understand on twitter by some that may be viewed as future stars. I don't know what the issue is but I hope Brown is trying to get to the bottom of this. For all I know it could be a bunch of kids that are snow flaking their way to some other school that may cuddle them. I don't know because I am not in the Puskar building. I just know this is frustrating as a fan. I do believe the new crop of recruits coming in are going to have a different perspective as the relationships are going to be different with the current coaches because they have been built for a while. Sorry for rambling.

Reactions: JWG66 and Euell
First let me just say I rarely post. I've been on this board since it was available in the early 2000s, but I just don't have the time to post. Also let me state I really like Coach Brown and I am 100% behind him. I believe he will get this program to where it needs to be just like Frank Beamer did at Va Tech (after he had rough start) and other successful coaches that the school had patience to work with. What's the other option...try to run him off like we did Bowden in 1974 or Nehlen a few times in his tenure with planes flying over with banners?

With that said, I cannot discount a problem I see with not only our offense, but the players leaving in the portal that have played in this offense. Gerard Parker is the OC and seems like a pretty smart guys that knows his stuff. However, despite the many excuses (many valid like FR on the line), our offense at times has looked horrible. You cannot blame all of that on Doege. He has had no consistent run game or pass protection for 3 years. As far as play calling, knowing the limitations we have, I scratch my head knowing why we have tried to do things that puts our offense in a bad position. Case in point, during the bowl game we have two back to back runs by Mathis that gained great yardage and got our first first dowms of the game. So what did we do on the next play. Doege drops back...sacked. Next play.....sacked in an ugly fashion. 3rd and long and again ugly. Why could we not have tried another damn Mathis run Nehlen converstative style. Maybe try another one after that and at least have a manageable 3rd down. I am not talking about going back to Woody Hayes and a cloud of dust offense, but I don't think the OC (or Brown) always put us in the right postion to be successful.

All of this leads me to the wide receivers leaving. Parker is not only the OC but the receivers coach. Ryan just announced portal. This follows Wright our leading receiver and Edsale that I guess wanted to be with his gf. We also had Sam Brown earlier in the year and some grumblings as I understand on twitter by some that may be viewed as future stars. I don't know what the issue is but I hope Brown is trying to get to the bottom of this. For all I know it could be a bunch of kids that are snow flaking their way to some other school that may cuddle them. I don't know because I am not in the Puskar building. I just know this is frustrating as a fan. I do believe the new crop of recruits coming in are going to have a different perspective as the relationships are going to be different with the current coaches because they have been built for a while. Sorry for rambling.
I hope you are right. I’m very concerned though

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
If you look at the situation through an objective lens then things make a lot more sense.

If you're Sean Ryan, you've got one more year left to make some type of impression for scouts/NFL. Are you going to make that impression with a first year starting QB at the helm? Probably not. So, why not take a chance and latch on somewhere with a team that passes a lot with a returning starter?

We've made college football essentially a minor league for the NFL. It's all business now. Free agency is part of that business model, and now with NIL's in place, you can essentially get paid for it.

For those of us who are "old school", this type of garbage has basically ruined the purity of the game. But, if its going to be run like a business, then everyone involved should be free to market themselves to the best of their abilities.

We can sit and crybaby about it like some on here and bad-mouth the coaches and/or the players. Or, we can take advantage of the opportunities the portal presents and get quality or better replacements for those lost. Simple as that.

If you look at the situation through an objective lens then things make a lot more sense.

If you're Sean Ryan, you've got one more year left to make some type of impression for scouts/NFL. Are you going to make that impression with a first year starting QB at the helm? Probably not. So, why not take a chance and latch on somewhere with a team that passes a lot with a returning starter?

We've made college football essentially a minor league for the NFL. It's all business now. Free agency is part of that business model, and now with NIL's in place, you can essentially get paid for it.

For those of us who are "old school", this type of garbage has basically ruined the purity of the game. But, if its going to be run like a business, then everyone involved should be free to market themselves to the best of their abilities.

We can sit and crybaby about it like some on here and bad-mouth the coaches and/or the players. Or, we can take advantage of the opportunities the portal presents and get quality or better replacements for those lost. Simple as that.
Or we can say f it to the whole sport.

How long do you think the NCAA portal lasts until they push for “student athletes” to officially become employees of the university and NLI basically becomes the contract terms? I think the NCAA and the Portal are going to get overhauled very soon.

Who knows?

Everything you wrote is basically what's going to happen or is happening anyway. We both know that the term "student athlete" is a farce anyway.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL

I think you are spot-on. Winston Wright leaving at the same time Doege left is no coincidence. I imagine Doege called Wright and said I and going in the portral. That was Wright's QB and he was Doege's go to guy. Makes sense.

Good post Captain. Agree with the main points. There are several questions imbedded here that would be good to send to KC for his weekly spot. Play calling and wasted TOs have many of us shaking our heads this year. As for the sacks, I wondered during the game if there was a tell that Ciarrocca gave them. They sure seemed to know when to come all out with those unique blitzes and they were killers.

Its a mistake to just assume someone leading WVU to consistent losing records, consistently bad rushing, passing, offensive numbers etc etc is Bobby Bowden in waiting. Makes no sense. There has to be evidence to support that and so far zilch.

Bobby Bowden didn't come to WVU and suck.

Bowden was more in line with WVUs previous coach Dana Holgorsen in terms of success at WVU:

B. Bowden
8-3
7-4
8-4
6-5
4-7
9-3

D. Holgorsen
10-3
7-6
4-8
7-6
8-5
10-3
7-6
8-4

Brown?

5-7
6-4 (5-4 regular season and didn't have to play FSU or Oklahoma, with a gifted G5 bowl game for a 5 win team )
6-7

No rational person would look at those records and see the first coach in the third one.

The only thing that keeps WVU in the "majors" as people keep trying to shift them out, is the successful coaching efforts that WVU has experienced. Another period of realignment is in the works and now is the absolute worse time for WVU to be a training ground for a coach that isn't ready for the P5 level of competition that WVU faces most weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rootmaster
Its a mistake to just assume someone leading WVU to consistent losing records, consistently bad rushing, passing, offensive numbers etc etc is Bobby Bowden in waiting. Makes no sense. There has to be evidence to support that and so far zilch.

Bowden was more in line with WVUs previous coach Dana Holgorsen in terms of success at WVU:

B. Bowden
8-3
7-4
8-4
6-5
4-7
9-3

D. Holgorsen
10-3
7-6
4-8
7-6
8-5
10-3
7-6
8-4

Brown?

5-7
6-4 (5-4 regular season and didn't have to play FSU or Oklahoma, with a gifted G5 bowl game for a 5 win team )
6-7

No rational person would look at those records and see the first coach in the third one.

The only thing that keeps WVU in the "majors" as people keep trying to shift them out, is the successful coaching efforts that WVU has experienced. Another period of realignment is in the works and now is the absolute worse time for WVU to be a training ground for a coach that isn't ready for the P5 level of competition that WVU faces most weeks.
Retard. You have no ide what you're taking about. Your hate has blinded you. Transfers are happening at record numbers all across college sports but your lame ass thinks it is due to wins and losses. If that were the case players would not be leaving the big name schools like Alabama, Georgia, oklahoma, Michigan, Ohio State, etc....

They're leaving because of not playing or hey get beat out. Majority of these players will still be in the portal this time next year.

Good post Captain. Agree with the main points. There are several questions imbedded here that would be good to send to KC for his weekly spot. Play calling and wasted TOs have many of us shaking our heads this year. As for the sacks, I wondered during the game if there was a tell that Ciarrocca gave them. They sure seemed to know when to come all out with those unique blitzes and they were killers.
The tell was their asses were bigger than ours. The Oline sucked and QB stayed in pocket too long hanging onto the ball.

Retard. You have no ide what you're taking about. Your hate has blinded you. Transfers are happening at record numbers all across college sports but your lame ass thinks it is due to wins and losses. If that were the case players would not be leaving the big name schools like Alabama, Georgia, oklahoma, Michigan, Ohio State, etc....

They're leaving because of not playing or hey get beat out. Majority of these players will still be in the portal this time next year.
WVU has more transfers than anyone.

Every school loses players here and there due to things like coaching changes —but they dont lose an entire teams worth.

Your hate blinded you a decade or so ago and your gigantic ego wont let you let go of it. Facts are facts and WVU football ( thanks in part to your efforts no doubt) is in crisis under the present staff.

Every school loses players here and there due to things like coaching changes —but they dont lose an entire teams worth.

Your hate blinded you a decade or so ago and your gigantic ego wont let you let go of it. Facts are facts and WVU football ( thanks in part to your efforts no doubt) is in crisis under the present staff.
WVU has right now 4 starters and some bench warmers. “Entire team”?

Chucky is that you?

BlueLineWVU said:

Out of the 32 WVU transfers from January 2021 until January 22 only 10 of them were recruited by Neal Brown, the other 22 were recruited by Dana.

Only 3 of the 10 Neal Brown recruits was a significant starter

There is a purge happening.

BlueLineWVU said:

Also out of the 32:

12 are unsigned
8 signed with a G5 school
7 signed with a FCS school
5 signed with a P5 school

WVU has right now 4 starters and some bench warmers. “Entire team”?
Funny how they are “ the best class ever” when recruited and then “ bench warmers” when they flee.

WVU has lost an enormous # of players under Browns watch so far - an enormous amount-

excerpt from article on another WR departing:

Ryan, who has one more year of eligibility, has chosen to follow the footsteps of fellow wide outs Sam Brown, Isaiah Esdale, and Winston Wright Jr. and leave Morgantown behind. Between his freshman campaign at Temple and his three seasons with the Mountaineers, the three-star wide receiver has amassed 81 receptions for 1,044 yards and four touchdowns.

He becomes the 11th football player to exit the WVU program since August, and the 33rd scholarship player since 2020.

and a team getting 5 wins a season can hardly afford to lose any players let alone starters.

Its clear Browns hire was a bad mistake at the worst possible time- why do you keep pretending he is something great? Worst coaching effort at WVU since the 1950s.

Take the blinders off.

Last edited:

B. Bowden
8-3
7-4
8-4
6-5
4-7
9-3

D. Holgorsen
10-3
7-6
4-8
7-6
8-5
10-3
7-6
8-4

Brown?

5-7
6-7

Not sure if this was in response to my original post but I was not saying Brown is Bowden...or even Nehlen. I was simply making the point that in the past when there was a bad season or two our fan base was ready to fire two future hall of famers. I will say that's with any fan based in D1 so we are not alone. Yes the jury is still out for Brown, but it is in WVUs best interest right now to let two more classes come in and see what he does. If we are 6-7 this time next year with no improvement I may change my mind. A lot of IFs.

Not sure if this was in response to my original post but I was not saying Brown is Bowden...or even Nehlen. I was simply making the point that in the past when there was a bad season or two our fan base was ready to fire two future hall of famers. I will say that's with any fan based in D1 so we are not alone. Yes the jury is still out for Brown, but it is in WVUs best interest right now to let two more classes come in and see what he does. If we are 6-7 this time next year with no improvement I may change my mind. A lot of IFs.
3 years is enough time to evaluate someone making $3 plus million a year to win games and run a competent football program.

Two more years of the same is a disaster.

Its not like Brown got one year and then for nothing people are questioning him. He literally, factually has the worst record of any WVU coach since the 1950's. He literally factually has brought WVUs offense down from top 10 to one of the worst in college football in various categories.

He isn't winning many games and the ones he has won are against fcs schools and Kansas and teams having losing seasons three years in. Two more seasons of this and WVU will be Kansas and is sure to be left behind in more realignment as well. But there is no indication that Brown can get above five or six regular season wins.

Bucky- He had nothing really left when he got here as compared to Holgorsen with a great group of players who constantly did not do well. In two years we will know if Brown is good or not because he will not have any players from Holgerson era here. Then you will know how well he coaches, how well he works the portal. If he starts winning then I guess we will know. If he does not, then I guess we will know.

Bucky- He had nothing really left when he got here as compared to Holgorsen with a great group of players who constantly did not do well. In two years we will know if Brown is good or not because he will not have any players from Holgerson era here. Then you will know how well he coaches, how well he works the portal. If he starts winning then I guess we will know. If he does not, then I guess we will know.
Don't think I've laughed this hard at a post in a long time. At the rate the moron Kneel is shedding players the tuba section from the band could be filling in. Can the pussy before he completely destroys the program.

This is a complete LIE. WVU was averaging five wins per season for five straight years before Holgorsen left. They were 4 pts away from a BIG 12 CCG appearance in 2018 and had a top 10 offense, many players such as Leddie Brown remained on offense and great players on defense as well. Brown and co. promptly pushed out over 20 players including starters and players who had playing time and experience.

Besides, Holgorsen faced an actual depleted roster at Houston and in year three when your glorious Brown was eking out a 6 pt debacle against Minnesota, Holgorsen was beating Auburn and winning 12 games.

Seems a coach can build their own team in 3 years. Brown hand picked Doege and took a strong running game into the dregs. The entire offense has declined drastically.

In 2 years. But you love leaving that part out. Get a clue chuckie.

This is a complete LIE. WVU was averaging five wins per season for five straight years before Holgorsen left. They were 4 pts away from a BIG 12 CCG appearance in 2018 and had a top 10 offense, many players such as Leddie Brown remained on offense and great players on defense as well. Brown and co. promptly pushed out over 20 players including starters and players who had playing time and experience.

Besides, Holgorsen faced an actual depleted roster at Houston and in year three when your glorious Brown was eking out a 6 pt debacle against Minnesota, Holgorsen was beating Auburn and winning 12 games.

Seems a coach can build their own team in 3 years. Brown hand picked Doege and took a strong running game into the dregs. The entire offense has declined drastically.
Bucky still as dumb as a brick.

Allen is a troll. Allen cannot communicate in any intelligent manner. His/its posts are simply for the purpose of TROLLING.

A response to facts with ignorant "dumb as brick" attack? Wow, what an imbecile.

The facts are Troll Allen worked night and day to push out the second winningest coach ever at WVU and bring in the worst coach WVU has had since the 1950s and one of the worst ever.

Now that (as expected) that coach has FAILED MISERABLY to approach the success of the coach that the troll railed against daily here, his/its ego is trying to double down on his/its utter stupidity spewed here for years.

But unfortunately for troll Allen facts are facts and infantile attacks against those stating facts is a worthless waste of everyone's time. But of course rather than discussing the facts of the miserable coaching effort currently at WVU, troll Allen wants to derail the conversation with his/its childish nonsense.

Meanwhile back in the real world WVU football is in crisis.

Allen is a troll. Allen cannot communicate in any intelligent manner. His/its posts are simply for the purpose of TROLLING.

A response to facts with ignorant "dumb as brick" attack? Wow, what an imbecile.

The facts are Troll Allen worked night and day to push out the second winningest coach ever at WVU and bring in the worst coach WVU has had since the 1950s and one of the worst ever.

Now that (as expected) that coach has FAILED MISERABLY to approach the success of the coach that the troll railed against daily here, his/its ego is trying to double down on his/its utter stupidity spewed here for years.

But unfortunately for troll Allen facts are facts and infantile attacks against those stating facts is a worthless waste of everyone's time. But of course rather than discussing the facts of the miserable coaching effort currently at WVU, troll Allen wants to derail the conversation with his/its childish nonsense.

Meanwhile back in the real world WVU football is in crisis.
LOL...I have the power to hire and fire coaches. AWESOME.

You post certain facts (but not all of them) to boost your own agenda. But what the hell you voted for dementia filled lying Biden. What else would anyone expect from you except ignorance.

Here's the the problem with the real word and you Bucky. You don't live in it.

I think we should cry about it. Who's with me?!

I hope you are right. I’m very concerned th
i firmly believe that in former times Ciarrocca would hsve been abducted and flogged for what he did or even MAY have done to our program . His actions are truly from the depths of a well used cesspool and are unforgivable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT