ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Tyler Allen promoted to QB coach

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
Tyler Allen Promoted to Quarterbacks Coach
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – (February 14, 2024) - West Virginia University football coach Neal Brown has announced the promotion of Tyler Allen to the Mountaineers’ quarterbacks coach.

Allen returned to WVU in August 2023 and served the past year as the offensive analyst and special assistant to the head coach.

“I’m excited that Tyler will be the quarterbacks coach for the Mountaineer football program,” Brown said. “I have had the opportunity to work with him for several years and have seen his growth and maturation as a coach on and off the field. He brings a lot of energy and knowledge to the position, having worked closely with our quarterbacks over the last two years. He already has more than proven his worth and is a great addition to our on-field coaching staff.”

During the past year, Allen organized, implemented and maintained all aspects of game analysis for the offensive coaching staff and managed the walk-on program. He charted/tracked statistics during practice and competition, analyzed game film and formulated game plans to assist the offensive coaching staff with game preparation He organized the practice schedule, managed the offensive graduate assistants and student coaches and supported the head coach with recruiting communication. He assisted the head coach and staff with on-campus recruiting operations and oversaw the administration of the offensive plan for the high school coaches clinic.

“I want to thank coach Brown and West Virginia for giving me this opportunity,” Allen said. “West Virginia is a special place, and it has a very passionate fan base. I look forward to continue developing our quarterbacks with goals of bringing home championships. Already being familiar with WVU and the football program, I’m looking forward to a smooth transition.”

Prior to returning to WVU, he served as the assistant offensive line coach at Rice for the 2022 season and the quarterbacks coach at Jacksonville State for two years.

While at Jacksonville State, he was involved in all areas of game planning, helping renovate the pass, run-pass-option and screen game of its offense. He also recruited Atlanta, south Alabama, Mississippi and the Mississippi junior colleges. The Gamecocks finished with a 10-3 record in 2020 and won the Ohio Valley Conference championship and were the No. 4 national seed in the NCAA FCS Playoffs, earning a spot in the quarterfinals. His quarterback, Zion Webb, earned all-conference first-team honors.

Allen served as an offensive graduate assistant, working with the Mountaineer quarterbacks from January 2019 until he left in 2020 to become the quarterbacks coach at Jacksonville State.

Before coming to WVU, he served for a year on Neal Brown’s staff at Troy as a graduate assistant coach, working with the quarterbacks before coming to Morgantown. He also served as an offensive student assistant coach at LSU from 2016-18. He worked with Danny Etling, who was a seventh round draft choice of the New England Patriots.

Allen earned his bachelor’s degree in business with a minor in personal investment at LSU in 2018. Prior to attending LSU, he was a quarterback for Mississippi Gulf Coast Community for two years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT