ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD NCAA Tournament: No. 9 West Virginia basketball vs. No. 8 Maryland

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
Game will tip-off at 12:15 p.m. Thursday and be televised by CBS. Game will be played in Birmingham in the South Regional.

The 9 seeds have lost the 4-team battles only THREE times in ELEVEN years.

9 seed is 76-72 against the 8 seed. Close, but 9 seed has slight edge.

Last year the 9-seeds were 3-1 against the 8 seeds. Even better advantage.

Despite the Gloomy Gus predictions here that WVU wouldn't even be in March Madness the Mountaineers are ranked 34th of the 68 teams by the selection committee, who were wiser than pessimistic WVU fans (not me, of course, I said for weeks that WVU WOULD BE in March Madness because of their tough schedule and 10 single-digit losses despite the 5th or 7th (I forget which) toughest schedule in America!

I sadly will not be able to watch today. I do have a good feeling about this one, the analytics says we are better than our record so we are due for some good fortune!

Lets get this win. We spent the season facing tougher teams than Maryland and we have to use that to our favor.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
Up big early, and of course went on scoring drought, gave up offensive rebounds, fouls, and now MD on a run.

Once up 19-6, down 22-21

It completely boggles my mind that WVU seems to be the only team that allows several bad game minutes to pass before calling a timeout.

And just like that, we're down. Nothing will convince me that Huggins isn't one of the worst game coaches in the P5.

Bell getting in foul trouble didnt help. And Maryland hitting three 3 pt shots pretty fast. We have to match it if they start hitting them. I dont like how sloppy we are passing and dribbling.

It completely boggles my mind that WVU seems to be the only team that allows several bad game minutes to pass before calling a timeout.

And just like that, we're down. Nothing will convince me that Huggins isn't one of the worst game coaches in the P5.

I would guess he has one of the worst win percentages in games where his team establishes a double digit lead.

Bell getting in foul trouble didnt help. And Maryland hitting three 3 pt shots pretty fast. We have to match it if they start hitting them. I dont like how sloppy we are passing and dribbling.
WVU has been a sloppy team for over a decade. There's no need to hope that we'd ever get a smart, sound team.

I would guess he has one of the worst win percentages in games where his team establishes a double digit lead.
Unfortunately, yes.

The best teams still blow big leads, but you can still be confident that when they're up 10, they'll win. What's frustrating is when you seen WVU up 15 in the first half and have no confidence that they'll win in a blowout.

Unfortunately, yes.

The best teams still blow big leads, but you can still be confident that when they're up 10, they'll win. What's frustrating is when you seen WVU up 15 in the first half and have no confidence that they'll win in a blowout.

Agreed but to be fair for today, it’s pretty unusual for a team to just blow the other one off the floor in the first half when the teams have comparable talent. 2nd half is what separates the good teams from the mediocre.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT