ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Brown's version of Spring Game at Troy

It appears to be not so much a game as much as a demonstration to the fans and press their style of play. There is some one on one competition as well as reserves getting a chance to show the coaches as well as the fans how well they handle game conditions. That was my take anyway. They had refs if that means anything.

I watched 20 different spring games last year and tried to determine future success by the intensity of the spring game.

Out of the new coaches I saw Dan Mullen at Florida had a relax spring game and even had former players jumping on the field for easy touchdowns .
This was about the time when everyone was saying Mullen couldn't recruit.
After their loss to Kentucky I thought my opinion was going to be correct.

Florida surprised me.
I don't know how serious their scrimmage was in the fall camp
Intensity during the spring game did not determine future success at Florida.

Spring games are overrated. The intent is to determine the freshman and where they stand and judging the recruits brought. It's also made to see what kind of shape the current team is and what they need to work on. Brown spring game is more of a family type event with former players and current players that need evaluation.

By the way this is a WVU board not Florida.

Reactions: michaelwalkerbr
Spring games are overrated. The intent is to determine the freshman and where they stand and judging the recruits brought..
Most freshman are still in high school when your spring game takes place, with the exception of a few early entries.

Spring games are overrated. The intent is to determine the freshman and where they stand and judging the recruits brought. It's also made to see what kind of shape the current team is and what they need to work on. Brown spring game is more of a family type event with former players and current players that need evaluation.

By the way this is a WVU board not Florida.

Who said it was...
Football coaching is a little bit everything.

Spring practices are not important as Fall practices.
Things that happen in March won't happen in August.
It is psychological. Think Neal Brown will determine what way to take the program.
50% of the decision will be based on Dana and how DH ran the team

His culture won't be there until Year 2.
Year 1...Don't think he will have to go in like a drill instructor but who knows.
People around the program know better.

Who said it was...
Football coaching is a little bit everything.

Spring practices are not important as Fall practices.
Things that happen in March won't happen in August.
It is psychological. Think Neal Brown will determine what way to take the program.
50% of the decision will be based on Dana and how DH ran the team

Nobody said it was. That was my opinion. Wrong or right I'm guessing what Brown will do for his spring day event. No I don't think Neal Brown will base his decision on what Dana did or did not do.

Nobody said it was. That was my opinion. Wrong or right I'm guessing what Brown will do for his spring day event. No I don't think Neal Brown will base his decision on what Dana did or did not do.

It is a transition year...
Meaning that the team at this point is more the previous coaches than his.
Hopefully by the end of spring camp it will be his team. He is not inheriting a losing program just one that has failed to live up to expectations of the fanbase.

It is a transition year...
Meaning that the team at this point is more the previous coaches than his.
Hopefully by the end of spring camp it will be his team. He is not inheriting a losing program just one that has failed to live up to expectations of the fanbase.

It's always seemed like a transition year with Dana at the helm. Never knowing what transfer would be capable of handling their job. Who will be the new assistant and what players will transfer from his program. Nobody ever knew what type of team Dana had or didn't have. It was constant transition. IMO.

It's always seemed like a transition year with Dana at the helm. Never knowing what transfer would be capable of handling their job. Who will be the new assistant and what players will transfer from his program. Nobody ever knew what type of team Dana had or didn't have. It was constant transition. IMO.

That is football in general.

Thing is Neal Brown does not have the experience with coaching changes.
He took over the Troy program from a Head Coach that was there 20 years plus one that Neal Brown coached under.
This is his first true coaching change. It won't be perfect but like with any career if Neal Brown is flexible and understands the heartbeat of the team it should be his team come September.

That is football in general.

Thing is Neal Brown does not have the experience with coaching changes.
He took over the Troy program from a Head Coach that was there 20 years plus one that Neal Brown coached under.
This is his first true coaching change. It won't be perfect but like with any career if Neal Brown is flexible and understands the heartbeat of the team it should be his team come September.

Yes I can agree with that. Neal Brown has proven himself as a head coach. But not as a P5 coach which is a completely different dragon. Some may say it's not but I believe it is. Dana was thrown to the wolves with his first HC job and it was a P5 at that. He went 10-3 his first year and demolishing Clemson in the process. Unfortunate for him the high expectations were that he would win 10 games every year. Fans attacked him the rest of his days here due to not meeting their expectations. I'm sure the same will happen to Neal Brown if he doesn't win 9 games every year. With his first year being his debut they will give him pass maybe even 2 years. Me I will give him the entire 6 years as I am homer and always will be.

Yes I can agree with that. Neal Brown has proven himself as a head coach. But not as a P5 coach which is a completely different dragon. Some may say it's not but I believe it is. Dana was thrown to the wolves with his first HC job and it was a P5 at that. He went 10-3 his first year and demolishing Clemson in the process. Unfortunate for him the high expectations were that he would win 10 games every year. Fans attacked him the rest of his days here due to not meeting their expectations. I'm sure the same will happen to Neal Brown if he doesn't win 9 games every year. With his first year being his debut they will give him pass maybe even 2 years. Me I will give him the entire 6 years as I am homer and always will be.

There are different examples...
When Saban went to Alabama he had everyone behind him from the start.
Dabo didn't. Dabo went through ups and downs his first few years.

Truthfully it is based on the fanbase.

West Virginia from what I notice will have high expectations until the coach proves different and it is all downhill
Other schools like Texas don't have the expectations until the coach proves himself and then they have everyone behind them.

Last edited:
There are different examples...
When Saban went to Alabama he had everyone behind him from the start.
Dabo didn't. Dabo went through ups and downs his first few years.

Truthfully it is based on the fanbase.

West Virginia from what I notice will have high expectations until the coach proves different and it is all downhill
Other schools like Texas don't have the expectations until the coach proves himself and then they have everyone behind them.

Took over mid season from Tommy Bowden who resigned, on October 13, 2008. Dabo has been to a bowl game all 11 years that he has been HC. Went 9-5 is first full season, he is 7-3 in Bowls. Dabo is 116 - 30 in his 11 years. He fired his DC after the OB.

Took over mid season from Tommy Bowden who resigned, on October 13, 2008. Dabo has been to a bowl game all 11 years that he has been HC. Went 9-5 is first full season, he is 7-3 in Bowls. Dabo is 116 - 30 in his 11 years. He fired his DC after the OB.

Dabo liked Danny Ford was able to direct Clemson's energy into one direction...
Danny Ford tried that at Arkansas but failed...

Clemson has a cult like fanbase. Pretty much any farm school does.

A lot of it had to do with hiring aggy Chad and Brent Venables. Made the correct decisions with assistants.
Their coaching staff believes in that Clemson mindset
Reason why they don't lose many coaches.

It was smart to bring Dye in from Clemson.
Was a great hire by Neal Brown...

But Dabo didn't hit the ground running at Clemson.
Even lost 5 straight games to South Carolina

Wow! Wait a minute, guys. We may as well stay with DH's version which was show no one anything and make it not worth attending. Coach Brown does it to give the fans and the media a small glimpse of what his style of play will be, entertain the fans who attend, see some of his backups play in real game conditions and have fun. That's it, no more and no less.

It's not meant to be anything serious as far as being a predictor of the future success of the team in the fall nor will it be a significant source of information for upcoming opponents. Everyone will see if a particular player stands out and money will be raised for the Children's Hospital.

If you're not going to give the fans who attend something worth watching you may as well just cancel the damn thing and have another closed scrimmage.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
I would think on Coach Browns first experience with a new team would be to see what all players will do. In Brown We Trust.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Wow! Wait a minute, guys. We may as well stay with DH's version which was show no one anything and make it not worth attending. Coach Brown does it to give the fans and the media a small glimpse of what his style of play will be, entertain the fans who attend, see some of his backups play in real game conditions and have fun. That's it, no more and no less.

It's not meant to be anything serious as far as being a predictor of the future success of the team in the fall nor will it be a significant source of information for upcoming opponents. Everyone will see if a particular player stands out and money will be raised for the Children's Hospital.

If you're not going to give the fans who attend something worth watching you may as well just cancel the damn thing and have another closed scrimmage.

I agree.
Texas will be opening Bevo Blvd and having Longhorn City Limits for their Spring Game.
They have named the Weekend Made in Austin Weekend.
Turned it into an event.

I agree.
Texas will be opening Bevo Blvd and having Longhorn City Limits for their Spring Game.
They have named the Weekend Made in Austin Weekend.
Turned it into an event.

That's the way you do it! And what is wrong with the two coordinators choosing up sides with an offense and defense until the final walk-on is picked? The offensive coordinator could have a defensive coach calling the defense for him and the defensive coordinator could have Coach Brown calling the offense for him.

Use refs and play a regulation game, perhaps with the clock running except during time outs. Fans will pay to see that and the players would enjoy it. Surround it with a tailgate event and ask Brad Paisley to play a concert afterward. I'm sure a benevolent member of the MAC would pick up the tab. I would also bet Mr. Paisley would donate at least part of his fee to the Children's Hospital. Like you said, make it an event!

Plus it is a huge recruiting weekend for 2020, 2021 and 2022 recruiting.
Need to leave a lasting image in their minds.

That's the way you do it! And what is wrong with the two coordinators choosing up sides with an offense and defense until the final walk-on is picked? The offensive coordinator could have a defensive coach calling the defense for him and the defensive coordinator could have Coach Brown calling the offense for him.

Use refs and play a regulation game, perhaps with the clock running except during time outs. Fans will pay to see that and the players would enjoy it. Surround it with a tailgate event and ask Brad Paisley to play a concert afterward. I'm sure a benevolent member of the MAC would pick up the tab. I would also bet Mr. Paisley would donate at least part of his fee to the Children's Hospital. Like you said, make it an event!

WV should bring in Chad Ochocinco Júnior for a UOV that weekend.
That would get the recruits interested.
Who doesn't want to play Chad at FIFA?

Texas is bringing his son in for a UOV.
Doubt they offer him but the other recruits pay attention

So Oklahoma is going to have Lee Brice.
Texas is bringing in Luda who raps one of the anthems for the 2019 team.

Who WV is having at their spring game

I have said for years that WVU needs to make the spring game an event. Have local bands playing in the parking lot, have a 5k run for the Ronald McDonald House, games for kids, and autographs on the field after the game, or even before. If you make it a party, people will come.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT