ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD CBI Tournament: Coastal Carolina

What a waste of time and totally embarrassing to play in this dumb
“bad team” tourney. I’ve always felt the quicker you can leave a bad season behind the better.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
It will be interesting to see how Caridi, Howe, and Adrian try to spin this loss on the players on their next podcast. They always do instead of placing any blame upon the coaching staff.

Uh..apparently you didn't listen last night as Caridi stated WVU looked like a middle school team.

Doesn't look like a spin to me. But please, continue on with your make believe fairy tale. You might even get more likes from that pretend OSU grad aka Marshall fan.

Unless Caridi also said Huggins was managing the game like a volunteer, rec league coach then he is staying true to EXACTLY what skyhawk is talking about. No one associated with WVU media is afraid to criticize the team, individual players included. I've yet to hear a game or podcast that clearly calls out ANYTHING regarding coaching.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
Tennessee has no freshman getting any minutes and 5 seniors eat a huge portion of minutes per game. Let's say they lose 20+ games next year, have zero direction or camaraderie and young players to absolutely look overwhelmed and outmatched in EVERY conference game, kick off two apparent "leaders," and lose by 30 or more numerous times and get embarrassed by losing to nearly a half dozen mid majors.

Do you think Rick Barnes getting heat for that season would be justified? He has 7 Sweet 16s, 2 Elite Eights, a Final Four, and has won 30+ games a season 3 times.

I suspect most of you would deem all criticism and rumblings of firing to be warranted.

That's Huggins this year. Except Barnes didn't have a complete shit show every four years like Huggins has had at WVU....especially with this recruits.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
Uh..apparently you didn't listen last night as Caridi stated WVU looked like a middle school team.

Doesn't look like a spin to me. But please, continue on with your make believe fairy tale. You might even get more likes from that pretend OSU grad aka Marshall fan.

I guess you have never listened to the sad state of his podcast where he, Nathan Adrian, and Brad Howe shit on the players after every loss and say it's because they "dont buy into Huggins". It's after every loss. They don't say anything about Huggs or about the possibility that the game has passed him by in aspects.

Tennessee has no freshman getting any minutes and 5 seniors eat a huge portion of minutes per game. Let's say they lose 20+ games next year, have zero direction or camaraderie and young players to absolutely look overwhelmed and outmatched in EVERY conference game, kick off two apparent "leaders," and lose by 30 or more numerous times and get embarrassed by losing to nearly a half dozen mid majors.

Do you think Rick Barnes getting heat for that season would be justified? He has 7 Sweet 16s, 2 Elite Eights, a Final Four, and has won 30+ games a season 3 times.

I suspect most of you would deem all criticism and rumblings of firing to be warranted.

That's Huggins this year. Except Barnes didn't have a complete shit show every four years like Huggins has had at WVU....especially with this recruits.

Rick Barnes is not an elite coach.
Think they reached their limit. Best thing for Barnes is to attract recruits but Tennessee has the problem of Penny Hardaway in Memphis.
Without Memphis Tennessee doesn't have instate players to rely on
Memphis has always been a basketball city more than a football city.

His end at Tennessee will be ugly...
They are getting to the point that the fanbase excepts more...

How someone judges a coach is always based on expectations.
Tennessee fans haven't really expected much but their football program was and still could be a dumpster fire and Pat Summit retired. Women's basketball is all about coaching. Why UCONN will suck after their coach retires .
They need a winner

Huggins is considered an elite coach.
Wins everywhere and can build teams that are threats to win a National Championship

I guess you have never listened to the sad state of his podcast where he, Nathan Adrian, and Brad Howe shit on the players after every loss and say it's because they "dont buy into Huggins". It's after every loss. They don't say anything about Huggs or about the possibility that the game has passed him by in aspects.

I have listened and 90% of that comes from Adrian a former player. The game has not passed Huggins by. Things could be worse. We could have Shaka Smart with multiple 4 and 5 star players and still suck like Texas.

One thing I know is the coaching staff is not here to coddle you and hold your hand. Fans see things one way. Never looking at both ends of the rope.

Players need accountability. They need to put the work in if they want to improve. Coaching can only take you so far.

I have yet to hear Huggins say it's 100% not his or his staffs fault for this bad season. Huggins holds himself accountable for this season. He knows he recruited poorly and underestimated the talent. He has said so many times this year. Yet fans only want to focus on one thing as usual.

Rick Barnes is not an elite coach.
Think they reached their limit. Best thing for Barnes is to attract recruits but Tennessee has the problem of Penny Hardaway in Memphis.
Without Memphis Tennessee doesn't have instate players to rely on
Memphis has always been a basketball city more than a football city.

His end at Tennessee will be ugly...
They are getting to the point that the fanbase excepts more...

How someone judges a coach is always based on expectations.
Tennessee fans haven't really expected much but their football program was and still could be a dumpster fire and Pat Summit retired. Women's basketball is all about coaching. Why UCONN will suck after their coach retires .
They need a winner

Huggins is considered an elite coach.
Wins everywhere and can build teams that are threats to win a National Championship

Let's see...Barnes at Texas 16 years 402-180 (186-94) 15 years into NCAA Tournament / One trip to CBI - 1st round loss

Shaka Smart 4 years 68-66 (31-41) (his best season was his first year with Barnes players).

Barnes has built up a Tennessee team that was flat lining and brought them back to life.

TVZ always clueless and pretends he knows everything when he/she doesn't know anything. Except taking bits and pieces from sports articles and plagiarizing.

Let's see...Barnes at Texas 16 years 402-180 (186-94) 15 years into NCAA Tournament / One trip to CBI - 1st round loss

Shaka Smart 4 years 68-66 (31-41) (his best season was his first year with Barnes players).

Barnes has built up a Tennessee team that was flat lining and brought them back to life.

TVZ always clueless and pretends he knows everything when he/she doesn't know anything. Except taking bits and pieces from sports articles and plagiarizing.

But at end of the day you are remembered for Final Fours and National Championships.

Barnes is not the coach for that.
He is a good coach but I think even at a school like UCLA or Kansas he couldn't win.
He is a poor man's Roy Williams.
Williams didn't win anything until he went to Chapel Hill

I have listened and 90% of that comes from Adrian a former player. The game has not passed Huggins by. Things could be worse. We could have Shaka Smart with multiple 4 and 5 star players and still suck like Texas.

One thing I know is the coaching staff is not here to coddle you and hold your hand. Fans see things one way. Never looking at both ends of the rope.

Players need accountability. They need to put the work in if they want to improve. Coaching can only take you so far.

I have yet to hear Huggins say it's 100% not his or his staffs fault for this bad season. Huggins holds himself accountable for this season. He knows he recruited poorly and underestimated the talent. He has said so many times this year. Yet fans only want to focus on one thing as usual.

I don't think anyone here is advocating for ignoring a player's poor performance when it's deserved, but rather the apparent refusal to acknowledge that criticism needs to be spread throughout the program. No one is even saying that Huggins deserves 50% of the blame...certainly not 75% or 100%. However, he's the captain of the ship as Nate pointed out today. As captain, the onus is on you. Instead, the talking heads are quick to throw players under the bus and only use veiled critiques of the coaching (eg, "players weren't ready to play") that could be interpreted as the players didn't get up or the coaches didn't adequately prepare them.

I main complaint is WVU media is not being intellectually honest when assessing the state of the program. Either be rose-colored sycophants in every facet, singing the praises of every player and coach or call it like it is. When players screw up, talk about it. When Huggins screws up, say he screwed up. Don't reserve criticism for only one side - players or coaches.

It feels like I'm beating a dead horse, but in my time of listening to WVU broadcasts, I can't count how many times I've heard Jay (primarily) call out the poor play of specific players, cite bad decisioning making, claim their addition to the lineup at that moment is hurting the team (eg, "X is killing us. He needs to be on the bench), accusations of poor effort/passion or stubborn refusal to toe the line. Sometimes it's warranted, sometimes he goes overboard. What I have absolutely never heard was a breath of questioning one thing from the man who runs the program and makes more in a year than the combined salaries of all the teachers in Webster County.

Reactions: tOSUGrad90

People should listen to the post game comments of Huggins. Maybe they'd understand a bit. He admitted to things that he did wrong: sacrificed his core principles for a few players this year. He said that WILL NOT HAPPEN again.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
But at end of the day you are remembered for Final Fours and National Championships.

He is a good coach but I think even at a school like UCLA or Kansas he couldn't win.

Before Roy Williams went to UNC, he won 9 conference titles and went to 4 Final Fours (including two national championship games) at Kansas.

You were jusssssst a little off.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
I don't think anyone here is advocating for ignoring a player's poor performance when it's deserved, but rather the apparent refusal to acknowledge that criticism needs to be spread throughout the program. No one is even saying that Huggins deserves 50% of the blame...certainly not 75% or 100%. However, he's the captain of the ship as Nate pointed out today. As captain, the onus is on you. Instead, the talking heads are quick to throw players under the bus and only use veiled critiques of the coaching (eg, "players weren't ready to play") that could be interpreted as the players didn't get up or the coaches didn't adequately prepare them.

I main complaint is WVU media is not being intellectually honest when assessing the state of the program. Either be rose-colored sycophants in every facet, singing the praises of every player and coach or call it like it is. When players screw up, talk about it. When Huggins screws up, say he screwed up. Don't reserve criticism for only one side - players or coaches.

It feels like I'm beating a dead horse, but in my time of listening to WVU broadcasts, I can't count how many times I've heard Jay (primarily) call out the poor play of specific players, cite bad decisioning making, claim their addition to the lineup at that moment is hurting the team (eg, "X is killing us. He needs to be on the bench), accusations of poor effort/passion or stubborn refusal to toe the line. Sometimes it's warranted, sometimes he goes overboard. What I have absolutely never heard was a breath of questioning one thing from the man who runs the program and makes more in a year than the combined salaries of all the teachers in Webster County.

Then perhaps you should call his show and ask him yourself or those that ask or don't ask the questions you want.

So what you're saying is Roy Williams sucked as a coach at KU. What you're saying is every coach sucks who has never won a title. Do you even read what you write? There are HOF coaches that have never gone to the final 4. I think you're cast from the mold of 304.

So what you're saying is Roy Williams sucked as a coach at KU. What you're saying is every coach sucks who has never won a title. Do you even read what you write? There are HOF coaches that have never gone to the final 4. I think you're cast from the mold of 304.

If Barnes is a good coach...He is a Poorman's Roy Williams doesn't that make Roy Williams a great coach.

I think elite coaches could win anywhere.
Great coaches can win at the right school.

Ben Howland is a perfect example.
Good coach. Took UCLA to 3 Final Fours but Howland couldn't get UCLA over the hump.

Going back to Huggins.
Huggins is a great coach....
Huggins could take pretty much every school in a Power Conference to at least a Sweet 16.
Took both Cincinnati and West Virginia to Final 4s.

All based around a program....
Every program is at a different place...

Howland was hired by Miss State because Miss State hasn't been great since the mid 90's.

Texas didn't want to be just good to great they wanted to be elite.
At the end of the day Shaka Smart has the same amount of Final 4's as Rick Barnes and has actually won a conference tournament
20 years of Rick Barnes....
Zero Conference Tournament Championships

Powerhouse DePaul, the eighth place team in the Big East, takes down mighty Coastal Carolina.

UGH.

Yeah, because WVU was in it stupid. Are you suggesting that sg44gold is a Depaul fan?
Still salty about the embarrassing loss Monday night, huh? Not my fault. sg44gold didn't post that he had watched the game, knuckle dragger. He merely posted the fact that DePaul beat Coastal Carolina.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Good for DePaul...
Their coach's son is a TE for Texas.

I doubt winning the CBI will get them out of the hole they are in.
That Loyola Chicago run last year hurt them the most.

What a waste of time and totally embarrassing to play in this dumb
“bad team” tourney. I’ve always felt the quicker you can leave a bad season behind the better.
In hindsight (mine), you might be right for change. That was the worst game I have ever watched WVU play.

toeshit is a dick, a fraud, and a pizza delivery boy.

Come on ALLEN that was funny. You’re a great member but we gotta laugh at each other sometime. I like your posts and you’ve made me giggle before as well.

How bout this TTech team. They officially become the fan favorite darlings in about a half hour. My dad played football for Purdue and lives in my crib in Orlando. He has been blowing up my phone. Purdue is my last go to team left. As long as Duke doesn’t win I’m good with any other school.

In hindsight (mine), you might be right for change. That was the worst game I have ever watched WVU play.

I didn’t mean it that way 5-0. You’re a good fan that watched your team. I just meant in general at the end of a tough and disappointing season why would WVU Admin waste a donors $250,000 on a POS “bad team” tourney against a bunch of joke programs. The actual results of the games were irrelevant IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT