ADVERTISEMENT

At what point do we say he is failing?

Boomboom521

All-American
Mar 14, 2014
I like Dana, and I have supported him through som pretty mediocre football the last several years. That Orange Bowl win was as sweet of a win as I've ever witnessed as a Mountaineer fan since the 80's. And there has been some legitimate excuses over the years as to why we haven't produced in the Big 12. I think not having consistency in the d-coordinator position has hurt us (this, is a failure of his though). I think depth in the program has been an issue as well. We are seeing this problem again with the injury to Joesph.

However, at some point we HAVE TO say that Dana is failing if we continue to play mediocre football. We didn't say that over 8 years of losing bowl games under Don (mostly because Don delivered some big wins for a program that wasn't used to big wins at all). Truth is, until Rod had his players in 2005, we were a mediocre program (good, but not great). We are back to that level now. And at what point do we say Dana ISNT the coach to bring greatness? Does WVU just not have the chance at greatness? Does Dana get a pass for another year? Two?

I personally think the time should have been this year. Some say: "it's the QB, he gets a QB and we are fine". Isn't that on him that he hasn't found and developed a QB in the last three years? Some say: "the offense needs more time to develop". Isn't that also on him to get us an offense that can at least move the ball with some consistency, regardless of who graduated THREE YEARS AGO? If we do not WIN OUT, I have to pull my support (as little as that actually means), because I am NOT OK with another two decades of mediocre football. We CAN be great!

That Clemson team was not very good. Lets be real. DH has failed. He is supposed to be a offensive guru. They scored ten points against a average defense for TCU. They can not move the ball on a consistent basis.

I like Dana, and I have supported him through som pretty mediocre football the last several years. That Orange Bowl win was as sweet of a win as I've ever witnessed as a Mountaineer fan since the 80's. And there has been some legitimate excuses over the years as to why we haven't produced in the Big 12. I think not having consistency in the d-coordinator position has hurt us (this, is a failure of his though). I think depth in the program has been an issue as well. We are seeing this problem again with the injury to Joesph.

However, at some point we HAVE TO say that Dana is failing if we continue to play mediocre football. We didn't say that over 8 years of losing bowl games under Don (mostly because Don delivered some big wins for a program that wasn't used to big wins at all). Truth is, until Rod had his players in 2005, we were a mediocre program (good, but not great). We are back to that level now. And at what point do we say Dana ISNT the coach to bring greatness? Does WVU just not have the chance at greatness? Does Dana get a pass for another year? Two?

I personally think the time should have been this year. Some say: "it's the QB, he gets a QB and we are fine". Isn't that on him that he hasn't found and developed a QB in the last three years? Some say: "the offense needs more time to develop". Isn't that also on him to get us an offense that can at least move the ball with some consistency, regardless of who graduated THREE YEARS AGO? If we do not WIN OUT, I have to pull my support (as little as that actually means), because I am NOT OK with another two decades of mediocre football. We CAN be great!
After half a season of anemic offense, with Geno, Tavon, and Stedman...

The objective answer is when he admits he is failing. Which he did last night.

That was a team that has given up. I do not expect a win against Texas Tech.

There is nobody for the exception of a few jokers on this site who thinks Holgs is a good coach. There is no sign of week to week improvement which is the sign of a good team and staff.

I think we've been saying that he's failing. It's bordering on Epic Fail at the moment.
Who is WE? I guess you speak for the sites collective voice. I was trying to create a discussion about an actual thought process for the decision to move on from Dana by our AD. I'd like to know what people think is being said internally. Instead, all I get is Dana bashing, and I told you so's. Stop acting like you know everything, and just discuss things like a community should!

If it were only "mediocre" I'd still be on the fence. Last night was nowhere near mediocre, it was abysmal. It is sad to see how far our program has fallen. It's time to move on. Life is about risk. Is there risk that a new coach can fail? Of course. But, we are failing right now. That was a beatdown last night. There have been too many beatdowns.

If it were only "mediocre" I'd still be on the fence. Last night was nowhere near mediocre, it was abysmal. It is sad to see how far our program has fallen. It's time to move on. Life is about risk. Is there risk that a new coach can fail? Of course. But, we are failing right now. That was a beatdown last night. There have been too many beatdowns.
Thank you for the actual reply. I agree that last night was horrible. Let me ask you: if he wins out, would it buy another year or two in your mind?

The tale on Dana will be told from here on out. If this team comes out with urgency, executes in the last five games, and ends up 8-4, or even 7-5 without another "bad" loss, then it will be hard to say that he has definitively failed.

But if this team just hobbles along the rest of the year .... well then, the writing is on the wall.

It sucks to not be in the top half of the conference. But every year there are teams in the bottom half of conferences. I have yet to figure out why it is that WVU is supposed to be immune to the bottom half.

I have yet to figure out why it is that WVU is supposed to be immune to the bottom half.
No one has ever said that. We're all aware that down years in the Big 12 are going to mean a bottom-half finish.

However, we also have a right to expect that our program not be allergic to finishing in the top half.

Reactions: NC EnginEER
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT