ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Stanley Cup Finals

81 reminds me of a beer league softball player that I would watch at Cook's Field when I was a kid.

But if 87 or Murray take it, I'm fine with that.

Reactions: torontoeers
One more thing...if they can complete the task on Thursday I would LOVE to see Trevor Daley out there in uniform and on blades to accept the Cup for what would be I'm sure a slower but bittersweet skate around...he was so important those first few rounds, taking a bit of pressure off Letang...oh and Jeff Zatkoff I can't forget him...stepped in admirably under a high pressure situation giving the Pens a shot and good start early.

No doubt in my mind that Daley should and will be on the ice for a Cup ceremony, and should get to carry the Cup if he can walk (or skate) well enough.

And while I think we're still a win away from beginning our reminiscence of the past 2 months, I'm happy to recognize Jeff Zatkoff first. A decent argument can be made that he set the tone for the entire playoff run with that "next man up" performance in Game 1. And though he was quickly forgotten after his Game 2 loss, he was hardly the reason why they lost (and kudos to HCMS for recognizing what he had with Murray, and going quickly to him when he was ready to play).

Not sure JZ is still with the organization next season.....even if Flower is let go, he's probably something less than an ideal backup for Murray.....but he has every right to treasure his contribution to the Cup.....his ring......and to be remembered fondly (if not exactly as the re-creation of Frank Pietrangelo) by all Pens fans

And what REALLY disturbs me is...I'm gonna have to root for these 2 bearded jackwagons come World Cup in Sept !?!......something tells me I'll be holding my nose while I do it....not to mention that ASSHAT Marchand....

I suppose every country has their own resident team jackass but I've got 3 of em lol!
I would root to contact Herpes before I would root for Marchand! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My predictions for Game 5: (1)Pens win 5-2; (2): HBK line nets four including two by 81; (3): 81 wins Conn Smythe; (4): Torontoeers takes $1,500.00 that is hidden in mattress and makes clandestine trip to the Burgh without his wife's permission. Miraculously, and against all odds, witnesses a Pens win at CEC and returns to the Great White North with a big ol' Yuengling hangover. After falling asleep his wife sews him up in the sheets and beats him senseless with one of his own hockey sticks. A motion picture titled "I went from Black and Gold to Black and Blue" is made of this whole episode starring Paul Reubens (aka Pee Wee Herman) as Torontoeers and Megan Fox as his lovely wife. Toronto's lovely wife recoups $1,500.00+ by traveling to lower 48 to appear on Dr. Phil telling him, "I married a Royal Puck-up!"
I have not hit on one of my predictions all year, but I think this one has a shot! [roll][banana]:boom:

Last edited:
My predictions for Game 5: (1)Pens win 5-2; (2): HBK line nets four including two by 81; (3): 81 wins Conn Smythe; (4): Torontoeers takes $1,500.00 that is hidden in mattress and makes clandestine trip to the Burgh without his wife's permission. Miraculously, and against all odds, witnesses a Pens win at CEC and returns to the Great White North with a big ol' Yuengling hangover. After falling asleep his wife sews him up in the sheets and beats him senseless with one of his own hockey sticks. A motion picture entitled "I went from Black and Gold to Black and Blue" is made of this whole episode starring Paul Reubens (aka Pee Wee Herman) as Torontoeers and Megan Fox as his lovely wife.
I have not hit on one of my predictions all year, but I think this one has a shot! [roll][banana]:boom:
LMFAO! Ah...thats good...and if all this came to fruition? I would happily take the beating, and ask for MORE! Lord knows I'd deserve it for something else if not this lol!
Man this ride has been fun eh? I don't want it to end but then I know in order for the right and deserved result it has to sooner rather than later...
I always have fun on the board here chatting all things Mountaineers (especially football), and now even moreso this year all things Pens with all of you gents. I'm gonna miss the almost daily banter....but then Sept comes and the promise of them EERS brings the chatter back again....thank goodness for that...

Let's Go Pens!!!

I'm currently a slight lean to Murray in terms of who I currently think should win; but there's little doubt that Kessel and Sid both can still win. Under the assumption the Pens close out the Sharks on Thursday night, I think the one of those three who has the best Game 5 will win the trophy.

However, I'm pulling emotionally for Kessel......less so because I think he's that much more deserving than Sid or Murray, but because it'll be the final jam of the stake into the hearts of Leafs and other Canadian (not Canadiens) fans who hung him in effigy the past 3 years before GMJR arranged his parole to Pittsburgh.

Of course, Sid would have every justification to shoot the entire hockey world the biggest middle finger if he wins the CS. But IMO, no matter who wins the CS, nobody in the universe needs (and arguably deserves) the Cup itself more than Sid.
And if I hear one more idiot proclaim 'well I'd rather have Toews than Crosby for my leader' ....do I have the groups permission to soundly box him upside the head??? Cause frankly that would be my first inclination. ......

Of course I am getting just a bit ahead of myself here as you say CM...ONE MORE to go...

Reactions: COOL MAN
Well, the earth has been knocked completely out of its natural orbit: in listening today on NHLN Radio.....and after a week of folks (for one reason or another) picking San Jose in every game thus far.....literally everyone (in-studio talking heads and on-the-phone "analysts") is picking the Pens to close it out tomorrow night. Hell, even Grapes (in a late day interview) is picking the Pens.

I honestly can't think of anything more distasteful (to me) than hockey media types.....who we already know, as a group, hates the Pens.....who have all-of-a-sudden jumped on the Pens bandwagon. Of course, at least none of them are currently trying to sell anyone on any practical road the Sharks have to the Cup (at least not yet). But I'll bet you that, Gawd forbid, if the Sharks survive Game 5, the media will jump ship on the Pens so fast it'll make your head spin.

Meanwhile, one of the few on NHLN Radio who've had the seeds to break from the crowd.....most of who still think the story of this series remains what the Sharks haven't done.....and credit the Pens for their superior play is Boomer Gordon (who used to pull for the Pens back in the years immediately after 2009.....gave up on them altogether the past 2-3 seasons..... and was among the first to acknowledge what they were doing in March when the streak was really revving up)

Anyway, after 4-games worth of consistently favorable commentary, Gordon returned to his pre-streak attitude by essentially claiming this is nothing more than a lucky streak, and that GMJR's moves (though he continues to think Sully has done an amazing job) can't possibly be that good. He may, of course, be right; but this is a comment I honestly don't think you'd hear Gordon make about any other team in this (or any other) year's playoffs. Plus, you'd think comments like that might be more appropriate for the off season (when cement-heads from NY and Boston are the only ones who want to talk hockey).

Finally, I'm spending the second of 2 nights in Cleveland this week; as you might expect, the town is (evidently) going bananas for Game 3 of the Warriors/Cavs tonight, and I honestly couldn't give two shits who wins (though I admit I'd be pulling for the Golden State). So, here I am, calmly driving around town making Sales calls and privately aching for 8:20PM tomorrow night.

Oh, and speaking of the Cavs game; 600PM local news was reporting on the fact that surface streets around the Quicken Loans Center are all torn up with global media (and 20,000+ in attendance) in town. Apparently, it's a prelude for resurfacing of all these streets in advance of the Republicans coming to town the middle of next month. Granted, this is something which scheduled some time ago; but it seems to me it might not have been that hard to conclude (a couple months ago) the Cavs were a fairly decent candidate to be in the NBA Finals at this time in June.

Anyway, leave it to Cleveland to purposely screw up their own streets with the NBA in town this week......

One more thing from NHLN Radio today.....it seems their commentators and guests are leaning toward Kessel as the current Smythe favorite.

Well, the earth has been knocked completely out of its natural orbit: in listening today on NHLN Radio.....and after a week of folks (for one reason or another) picking San Jose in every game thus far.....literally everyone (in-studio talking heads and on-the-phone "analysts") is picking the Pens to close it out tomorrow night. Hell, even Grapes (in a late day interview) is picking the Pens.

I honestly can't think of anything more distasteful (to me) than hockey media types.....who we already know, as a group, hates the Pens.....who have all-of-a-sudden jumped on the Pens bandwagon. Of course, at least none of them are currently trying to sell anyone on any practical road the Sharks have to the Cup (at least not yet). But I'll bet you that, Gawd forbid, if the Sharks survive Game 5, the media will jump ship on the Pens so fast it'll make your head spin.

Meanwhile, one of the few on NHLN Radio who've had the seeds to break from the crowd.....most of who still think the story of this series remains what the Sharks haven't done.....and credit the Pens for their superior play is Boomer Gordon (who used to pull for the Pens back in the years immediately after 2009.....gave up on them altogether the past 2-3 seasons..... and was among the first to acknowledge what they were doing in March when the streak was really revving up)

Anyway, after 4-games worth of consistently favorable commentary, Gordon returned to his pre-streak attitude by essentially claiming this is nothing more than a lucky streak, and that GMJR's moves (though he continues to think Sully has done an amazing job) can't possibly be that good. He may, of course, be right; but this is a comment I honestly don't think you'd hear Gordon make about any other team in this (or any other) year's playoffs. Plus, you'd think comments like that might be more appropriate for the off season (when cement-heads from NY and Boston are the only ones who want to talk hockey).

Finally, I'm spending the second of 2 nights in Cleveland this week; as you might expect, the town is (evidently) going bananas for Game 3 of the Warriors/Cavs tonight, and I honestly couldn't give two shits who wins (though I admit I'd be pulling for the Golden State). So, here I am, calmly driving around town making Sales calls and privately aching for 8:20PM tomorrow night.

Oh, and speaking of the Cavs game; 600PM local news was reporting on the fact that surface streets around the Quicken Loans Center are all torn up with global media (and 20,000+ in attendance) in town. Apparently, it's a prelude for resurfacing of all these streets in advance of the Republicans coming to town the middle of next month. Granted, this is something which scheduled some time ago; but it seems to me it might not have been that hard to conclude (a couple months ago) the Cavs were a fairly decent candidate to be in the NBA Finals at this time in June.

Anyway, leave it to Cleveland to purposely screw up their own streets with the NBA in town this week......
Am I interpreting what you report on Boomer correctly CM? He WAS singing the teams praises from March on but has for some reason decided to illicit this as some 'lucky streak'??? A 15 win playoff thus far over some quality opposition as lucky? And he gives Sully his due but not Jimmy?....if so...well...wow my head just spun right around! Does he know that Sully made his recommendations to GMJR to continue to make this team more speed oriented, and they BOTH discussed keeping the young speedsters up from WB/S!?! I suppose having a suitable replacement for MAF upon injury was lucky too...no foresight in drafting the kid. Hagelin...he's just a lucky player, really he's shit. Bonino, another shitbag. Schultz a junkpile who is lucky to be in the league whilst doing a solid job as #6 (perhaps this says an awful lot about Edmonton), Daley...what a disaster of a deal that was.....um...Boomer? You should quit your day job!....

Unless as I say I have misread your post....yes I MUST have...no???

Oh wait...how can I forget the GMJR acquisition #81...and his highest ppg avg among active players with 40 or more playoff games...yep ....just damned lucky...lmao

Last edited:
Am I interpreting what you report on Boomer correctly CM? He WAS singing the teams praises from March on but has for some reason decided to illicit this as some 'lucky streak'??? A 15 win playoff thus far over some quality opposition as lucky? And he gives Sully his due but not Jimmy?....if so...well...wow my head just spun right around!

Yup, you read it right; he's asking rhetorically if this playoff run might be nothing more than lucky streak, primarily because all the moves GMJR.....who Boomer, like most other observers, absolutely savaged last season......made couldn't possibly have been expected to have fallen so right. Therefore, it's simply got to be luck.

And, the NHLN Radio early-evening talk yahoos......all of whom were pulling for Tampa in the conference finals so hard it hurt (though tonight is the first I've heard them during Finals).....picked up on this as their call-in subject earlier this evening. But once NY and Boston (and Philly and Washington and Detroit) listeners get hold of this idea, NHLN Radio will have all their live call-in programming teed-up for the late summer before the teams go to camp in September.

And don't be fooled; absolutely nobody on that network will be favoring the Pens for the Cup next season no matter what happens tomorrow night (which might be a good thing). But no, they'll all be backing (in no particular order) Dallas, Los Angeles, San Jose, St Louis, and Washington (and maybe Tampa)......and then maybe the Pens sneak into the next group with Anaheim, Chicago, Florida, the Islanders, and Nashville (and maybe even Montreal).

Oh...also. I just booked a night in Cleveland on our way back from a football weekend in....get this, Notre Dame :scream: ...good buddy of mine is a fan, and always comes down with me once or twice to support WVU so I had to capitulate and agree to go to a game ND/ Nevada week 2 , with a stipulation that torontoeers will NOT be seen wearing any semblance of Golden Domer gear!
Anyway I have always wanted to see Cleveland (I've heard it has really had a renaissance over the last decade or so?), we are only there for the afternoon and a night on way home. As an Ohio resident what are your overall thoughts on the city? Rock n Roll HOF is a must fir a few hrs I imagine? And I hear they have a pretty nice pedestrian friendly shopping/restaurant promenade? Any nice casual restaurant recommendation's would be greatly appreciated. I gotta say, the hotels downtown seemed bloody expensive compared to elsewhere. Almost NY/LA expensive for goodness sakes...ended up getting a deal on The Renaissance (fittingly) through hotwire roll of the dice for 200 pn....

Yup, you read it right; he's asking rhetorically if this playoff run might be nothing more than lucky streak, primarily because all the moves GMJR.....who Boomer, like most other observers, absolutely savaged last season......made couldn't possibly have been expected to have fallen so right. Therefore, it's simply got to be luck.

And, the NHLN Radio early-evening talk yahoos......all of whom were pulling for Tampa in the conference finals so hard it hurt (though tonight is the first I've heard them during Finals).....picked up on this as their call-in subject earlier this evening. But once NY and Boston (and Philly and Washington and Detroit) listeners get hold of this idea, NHLN Radio will have all their live call-in programming teed-up for the late summer before the teams go to camp in September.

And don't be fooled; absolutely nobody on that network will be favoring the Pens for the Cup next season no matter what happens tomorrow night (which might be a good thing). But no, they'll all be backing (in no particular order) Dallas, Los Angeles, San Jose, St Louis, and Washington (and maybe Tampa)......and then maybe the Pens sneak into the next group with Anaheim, Chicago, Florida, the Islanders, and Nashville (and maybe even Montreal).
I heard Ferraro say today how 'the Pens will be hard pressed to get back to the cup , even though they will likely win' today on my drive home...WTF? Um...and why is that Ray? You expecting a big mass exodus of talent or something? That one blew my mind....

Also Bucs faithful. ....any of you get a chance to see Taillon, OUR (Canadian/American), tall lanky fireballer's debut last night? Wanted to get a look at him but had a busy eve...I see he got hit a little bit, but how'd he look overall? I suppose it doesnt help to line up across from Thor in your first start lol...and speaking of Thor...do you think the Mets would let us Jays folk reverse that Dickey deal? Seeing the way that deal has turned out is...well...painful!!!

Last edited:
Also Bucs faithful. ....any of you get a chance to see Taillon, OUR (Canadian/American), tall lanky fireballer's debut last night? Wanted to get a look at him but had a busy eve...I see he got hit a little bit, but how'd he look overall? I suppose it doesnt help to line up across from Thor in your first start lol...and speaking of Thor...do you think the Mets would let us Jays folk reverse that Dickey deal? Seeing the way that deal has turned out is...well...painful!!!
He did pretty well for his major league debut, I thought. If not for some wasted opportunities to score a few more runs he could have gotten the "W."

http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/10599000-74/kessel-leafs-dock
Pittsburgh Tribune sportswriter made trip to "The Dock Ellis" in Toronto to gauge Maple Leafs fans to #81' success as a Penguin. You ever been there "T"?
I have not...it is quite popular with the 'hipster 30 something crowd' and is in a nice area of the city...Little Portugal. Link wouldn't pull up for some reason....I'm hoping the folks were a bit more cordial than the idiot local sports radio talk jocks I've been subjected to this week...this morning Phil was 'the sweaty perogy' and 'what will Phil put into the cup , cheezy nachos or chilli dogs?'....the amount of buthurt on these guys is now approaching legendary status. I actually texted in to the Sportsnet radio morons this morning 'don't worry fellas, your team owns a piece of this cup too! 1.2 million dollars worth this year, so enjoy!' NO response by the gutless turds...
I will say it seems it's purely the Toronto media driving this nonsense...the other outlets I've heard from Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary have been pretty darned complimentary to Kessel for all intents....then again the rest of the country HATES Toronto (other than the Blue Jays), with great vigor, which I don't blame them one bit for, so I imagine they relish in ANYTHING that eats at Leaves fans...:smiley:

Reactions: Euell
ROSTER MOVE:
Kyle Lobstein has been recalled from Indy and Jameson Taillon has been optioned to Triple-A.

Pittsburgh Penguins

Kuhnhackl: “Since I got the call-up I’ve just tried to take things day-by-day. It has been a great journey so far, but we’re not done yet.”

benstoniumitsahockeynightinpittsburghposter-593x356.jpg

Last edited:
wow... 22 seconds apart

Pittsburgh Penguins
Kessel and Letang assist on the Malkin power-play goal.

Pittsburgh Penguins
Bonino earns the helper on the Hagelin goal.

ESPN Stats & Info
The Penguins tie it!
Pittsburgh trailed 2-0 and has come back to tie at 2-2.
These are the 4 earliest goals scored this series.
Fastest four goals scored by both teams combined from the start of a Stanley Cup Final game.
via EliasSports

Last edited:
Goaltenders are having some problems tonight......might this game end with Fleury and Reimer in the cage ??

Gents....I am out at a dinner for the wifes work. ...this Is KILLING ME!!! 2-2? Main course coming....and then on to the pub for the 2nd (hopefully)...at least the third. .... arrgh!

Reimer-maybe; Fleury-nope.

Murray looks VERY shaky......two awful GA (and who knows how many more to come now that things are going better offensively for San Jose). And after hitting all those posts behind him, looks like Jones has settled in a little bit.

Man, I wish Kessel wouldn't have heeled that one earlier when he was staring at the open net.....or drew iron twice on one shot :mad:

Last edited:
Gents....I am out at a dinner for the wifes work. ...this Is KILLING ME!!! 2-2? Main course coming....and then on to the pub for the 2nd (hopefully)...at least the third. .... arrgh!

Take your plate down to the bar......and don't forget your napkin

Reactions: Euell
Now, in the previous games of this series, the scoreboard has essentially not changed in the 2nd period.......will be interesting to see what happens tonight.

Lots of play left, but this is already starting to look like a game that friggin' Jones just might steal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT