ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Stanley Cup Finals

Have the Pens discussed the Kunitz contract at all yet? I will assume, they will buy him out. He had a decent year overall and he was really good in the finals except for the mindless pass to Geno. I think he may have one more year.....but who knows.

Kunitz will be finishing up his $3.875 million/year contract next season, and I myself have heard or read nothing thus far to indicate the team intends to consider a buyout.

We all know he was of little comparative value during this past regular season, but also saw how much he came on in the playoffs. He's had more health problems in the past couple seasons than he seemingly had his entire career, so I think there's a decent chance he retires after next season with his 3 rings, Olympic Gold Medal, and upwards of $36 million+ in total salary. No matter how you slice it, that's a pretty damned impressive career, and I think he'll have earned his retirement.

Of course, perhaps he'll be one of those players who wants to keep putting on the blades for as long as someone will give him a contract. I'm pretty sure he's from Saskatchewan, so perhaps he'd like to wrap up his career out in the Praries.....though, I'm not sure Calgary, Edmonton, or (especially) Winnipeg will be looking for a 38 year old in 2018 (unless they think of him as a veteran add to a young team challenging for the Cup). While I wouldn't mind having his Cap room next season, I myself won't be terribly conflicted if he simply finishes up his contract awaiting induction into the Penguins Hall of Fame (if it still exists).

Meanwhile, if they do move Flower this summer, they'll have some of his Cap room to play with. BTW, Josh Yohe said today that everything he sees indicates Flower's attitude for the Pens has crashed and burned, and he'll instruct his agent to ask for a trade.....and current rumors are that Calgary has already started kicking his tires. Nobody is talking about deal geometry as yet, but the consensus is that they'll be looking for a solid veteran backup for Murray. Yohe implied the Pens love Brian Elliott (who is signed for 2016/17).

Johe thinks the Pens may finally move Derrick Pouliot while he still has some value left, but acknowledges that might change if Lovejoy and Schultz both leave. The Pens need to tender RFA Schultz at $4 million; and while I think we generally liked what comparatively little we saw from JS, I seriously doubt either he or his agent will be seeing a $4 million offer from the Pens (or anyone else) this summer, even for a single year.

Lovejoy supposedly wants to stay, but the current consensus is that he's probably priced himself out of Pittsburgh. Another interesting tidbit; the Pens are expected to submit a qualifying offer to Beau Bennett (possibly to deal him later). And finally, Geno is apparently set for major elbow surgery for which the recovery may well linger into the first part of next season.

Kunitz will be finishing up his $3.875 million/year contract next season, and I myself have heard or read nothing thus far to indicate the team intends to consider a buyout.

We all know he was of little comparative value during this past regular season, but also saw how much he came on in the playoffs. He's had more health problems in the past couple seasons than he seemingly had his entire career, so I think there's a decent chance he retires after next season with his 3 rings, Olympic Gold Medal, and upwards of $36 million+ in total salary. No matter how you slice it, that's a pretty damned impressive career, and I think he'll have earned his retirement.

Of course, perhaps he'll be one of those players who wants to keep putting on the blades for as long as someone will give him a contract. I'm pretty sure he's from Saskatchewan, so perhaps he'd like to wrap up his career out in the Praries.....though, I'm not sure Calgary, Edmonton, or (especially) Winnipeg will be looking for a 38 year old in 2018 (unless they think of him as a veteran add to a young team challenging for the Cup). While I wouldn't mind having his Cap room next season, I myself won't be terribly conflicted if he simply finishes up his contract awaiting induction into the Penguins Hall of Fame (if it still exists).

Meanwhile, if they do move Flower this summer, they'll have some of his Cap room to play with. BTW, Josh Yohe said today that everything he sees indicates Flower's attitude for the Pens has crashed and burned, and he'll instruct his agent to ask for a trade.....and current rumors are that Calgary has already started kicking his tires. Nobody is talking about deal geometry as yet, but the consensus is that they'll be looking for a solid veteran backup for Murray. Yohe implied the Pens love Brian Elliott (who is signed for 2016/17).

Johe thinks the Pens may finally move Derrick Pouliot while he still has some value left, but acknowledges that might change if Lovejoy and Schultz both leave. The Pens need to tender RFA Schultz at $4 million; and while I think we generally liked what comparatively little we saw from JS, I seriously doubt either he or his agent will be seeing a $4 million offer from the Pens (or anyone else) this summer, even for a single year.

Lovejoy supposedly wants to stay, but the current consensus is that he's probably priced himself out of Pittsburgh. Another interesting tidbit; the Pens are expected to submit a qualifying offer to Beau Bennett (possibly to deal him later). And finally, Geno is apparently set for major elbow surgery for which the recovery may well linger into the first part of next season.
Indeed a Saskatchewan boy...and at 3.8 (I honestly thought he was closer to 5), he slotted in there nicely for value come playoff time. IMO and perhaps the rest of you the contracts you must sign wisely are those right in his range nowdays....the Pens seem to be mastering that over the last year or two.

ADVERTISEMENT