ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD West Virginia football vs. Maryland

That’s as bad as it can get. That was horrid on every level. Worst QB play I have ever seen. Literally may have a losing season. Probably will. Doege is the worst I have seen at QB and has not grown at all. Zero development except for his cool beard.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
That’s as bad as it can get. That was horrid on every level. Worst QB play I have ever seen. Literally may have a losing season. Probably will. Doege is the worst I have seen at QB and has not grown at all. Zero development except for his cool beard.
But we were told all the time he put in on preparing mentally so he wouldn't make those stupid turnovers and take stupid sacks.......... :rolleyes:

Before the game, the quoted Coach Brown as saying, “Doege is the hardest working QB I e ever worked with.” That’s cool an all, but sometimes hard work is not the answer. Also, what notable QB has he ever worked with?

And Neal Brown calls the timeout like a total douche lol. Wtf is the point in that?
Neal Brown didn't call the time out.

You can't win with 4 turnovers.

Please sit Doege next week for the entire game.

Doege is not a Power 5 conference QB. Was benched for an avg qb who would have won today’s game by 17+. Kendall should have started today and Doege should have transferred.

Cut the ties Coach Brown, and sit his ass down!

Neal Brown has a mess on his hands. If I were him I would go with the duel threat QB and focus on the run game. Daygay isnt going to get it done at all. He's terrible.

Neal Brown has a mess on his hands. If I were him I would go with the duel threat QB and focus on the run game. Daygay isnt going to get it done at all. He's terrible.
You're totally right but not just because of poor qb play. Obviously thin at rb they are one injury away from having no offense. Dual threat qb gives them another run option.

Doege is not a Power 5 conference QB. Was benched for an avg qb who would have won today’s game by 17+. Kendall should have started today and Doege should have transferred.

Cut the ties Coach Brown, and sit his ass down!
If that had occurred you would be bitching about Kendall and wanting Doege back.

Maybe the issue was that Brown was holding Kendall back and not the other way around like everyone thought. Kendall had a hell of a game against a better opponent than Maryland.
Maybe it speaks to the talent around Kendall now. Doege had a horrible game, even by his standards. That happens, maybe it was just bad luck for that 1 bad game a year to be the first one, who knows. The one quality Doege had, was he rarely turned the ball over. Today was deviated for sure.

Our staff videos, charts, & analyzes every decision, throw, run, etc in every practice. Given NB has switched QB's twice now, I dont think he has a problem playing the one he feels best about. Perhaps Greene's shortened COVID freshmen year wasnt enough for him to develop and he needs just a little more time.

Next week, I would create two offensive game plans. 1st half Doege & 2nd half Greene. This way, you get to analyze Greene vs Live opponent, and Doege can also get reps and get that bad taste out of his mouth. If Greene show out, then Id rather him play early and gain expereince, which will only increase his upside for his Soph/Jun/Sen years.

Maybe it speaks to the talent around Kendall now. Doege had a horrible game, even by his standards. That happens, maybe it was just bad luck for that 1 bad game a year to be the first one, who knows. The one quality Doege had, was he rarely turned the ball over. Today was deviated for sure.

Our staff videos, charts, & analyzes every decision, throw, run, etc in every practice. Given NB has switched QB's twice now, I dont think he has a problem playing the one he feels best about. Perhaps Greene's shortened COVID freshmen year wasnt enough for him to develop and he needs just a little more time.

Next week, I would create two offensive game plans. 1st half Doege & 2nd half Greene. This way, you get to analyze Greene vs Live opponent, and Doege can also get reps and get that bad taste out of his mouth. If Greene show out, then Id rather him play early and gain expereince, which will only increase his upside for his Soph/Jun/Sen years.
I would bench Doege and start Greene the entire game.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Yeah the coach turned it over 4 times as well. You going to pay the buyout?
The best player on the offense who averaged 4.2 ypc rushing and 10.3 yards per reception hardly got his number called in the second half. Despite the turnovers, we had plenty of chances to win the game but the play calling was totally lame. Buyout shmuyout, Neal Brown will be here a while. Should he be? No, he should be on the hot seat this season, but he is Lyon's dude. He's gonna coach us right into the MAC with games like that.

Yeah the coach turned it over 4 times as well. You going to pay the buyout?

Another reason I was not so thrilled by the contract extension. I was hopeful for Brown, but certainly didn't see enough in those first 2 seasons to warrant the extension. There is still hope as even RR had some ugly season starters losing to Cincy, the ECU kind of Cincy and not the current incarnation, at home to start his 3rd season before finishing strong. Although I have to admit that even after sleeping on it, I'm still pretty down on the head coach.

Another reason I was not so thrilled by the contract extension. I was hopeful for Brown, but certainly didn't see enough in those first 2 seasons to warrant the extension. There is still hope as even RR had some ugly season starters losing to Cincy, the ECU kind of Cincy and not the current incarnation, at home to start his 3rd season before finishing strong. Although I have to admit that even after sleeping on it, I'm still pretty down on the head coach.
I was against the extension last year. Liked them showing support in the coach but it was far too early.

I would bench Doege and start Greene the entire game.
Every QB, From Pat White, Geno, Grier, etc ALL OF THEM had bad games. If what the coaches & players said in camp were all true about Doege, and this was just a case of bad luck for that 1 bad game per yr, to be his first game this season? If..... If thats the case, Doege needs to play some next week.

NB spoke about the two interceptions... the first was absolutely a bad decision, but the second was a freak play where the DB did not do what he was coached to do, but somehow found himself in a position to make a play. The scheme on that play too was a bit off. The other route for the WR should have not been as close to the primary read to ensure that DB could not fall off to make the play. There were also some play calls that I did not agree with. All around, there were some bad decisions, across the board. Definitely a good learning experience.

I will add: If anything, that should prove how sometimes the "Schematic Fundamentals" taught in schemes are the main predictive factors to be exploited. A teaching lesson for Brown to def integrate concepts of a less predictive nature.

back on topic, If Doege did make progress this offseason, you want to give him 1-2 qtrs to wash that taste out of his mouth for VT, should Greene not excel. Also, Greene allows the staff to be more creative with schemes, so it should open the playbook, as long as his arm talent is not a weakness. Personally, Im not a fan of RPO, I think its a cheap concept frankly our staff can do better then just put Greene in a "predictive" RPO scheme. His versatility allows for so much more then just wildcat & RPO. You dont make it to the Elite11 by just being able to run...

I also didnt see any Zone Stretch schemes yesterday.... I continue in my awe as to why its not deployed more at WVU. Considering our OL issues, and all the various play-action & roll-out concepts can branch off of it. Using directional momentum, is far better then relying on brute force and predictive blocking schemes.

Green def needs at least 1 full half next week, but I would still play Doege in the first half. That way, its best of both worlds.

OR

Play Doege in 1st QTR and play Greene in 2nd QTR, then tell them, whichever one performs the best will play the entire second half. May inspire a little more competition...

We all knew heading into this season what the weakness of this team would be. That said, the level of stupidity im seeing on SM, about how NB is a shit coach, etc... Ive been telling people for MONTHS that we would probably lose to Maryland, people literally laughed at me. The fact we lost due to self inflicted wounds(TOs), and still had a shot at winning, is actually more telling of the quality of the team. It happens, look at 2018 when we played IowaSt. Sometimes, teams just dont show up, its not their day for whatever reason. But to say or think 1 game like that is indicative of the quality of this staff is just being an over emotional knee jerk illogical type of fan.

It takes time to build things the right way, to improve roster talent, get them matured & developed, then experienced. Thats a long process, and this was the 1st game of the 3rd year, with the second year being shortened. If that game happened in 2019, we would have been beat by 40. So while it sucks to lose, its still possible to identify progress in a loss. To have 4 TO's and still be in the fight, is actually a reason to be optimistic, because whats the chances we continue to have that many TO's per game. Even by Doege standards it was extremely deviated to have 2 INTs in a single game, then 2 fumbles on top..

Its a wake up call early on, that may actually serve to benefit this team and make them refocus and work harder and detail oriented. 1 bad game is not the end of the world, I think we'll be fine, but this team will never truly peak until we have a dynamic QB, and thats at the very least 1-2 yrs away, even if Green is our guy, itll take him time to feel it out. Brown is trying to solve through recruiting, it just takes time for players to develop.

I think Brown has to walk that line between evaluation, building for future, best position to win now, etc... I thought if Doege didnt perform well this year Greene would replace him in the middle or near the end of the season. It usually takes a QB 1 full season to become familiar with offense & timing, etc... So do you play him early and risk losing an extra game or two, which will certainly improve his upside in years to come, but a short term sacrifice?

Greenes first year was not a normal one, we gotta keep that in mind. But whenever Brown feels its best to make that switch, whenever that may be, Greene needs a very.......very long leash. He also needs the staff to mold a creative offense around him, his strengths, to mitigate his inexperience and weaknesses. Brown brought in Kirk C, so im sure they'll field something good. We ALL hope Greene is our guy for the next 3-4 years, we just have to realize rookie QBs may be a short term sacrifice, but offer higher long term upside, esp for next season...

I trust Brown to make that decision, whenever its time. It sucks to lose, esp that kind of loss when its blatantly obvious you are the better team. Those types of games are part of the climb, but if anything its proof of progress, so im 100% confident in where we are heading long term(beyond this season).

Every QB, From Pat White, Geno, Grier, etc ALL OF THEM had bad games. If what the coaches & players said in camp were all true about Doege, and this was just a case of bad luck for that 1 bad game per yr, to be his first game this season? If..... If thats the case, Doege needs to play some next week.

NB spoke about the two interceptions... the first was absolutely a bad decision, but the second was a freak play where the DB did not do what he was coached to do, but somehow found himself in a position to make a play. The scheme on that play too was a bit off. The other route for the WR should have not been as close to the primary read to ensure that DB could not fall off to make the play. There were also some play calls that I did not agree with. All around, there were some bad decisions, across the board. Definitely a good learning experience.

I will add: If anything, that should prove how sometimes the "Schematic Fundamentals" taught in schemes are the main predictive factors to be exploited. A teaching lesson for Brown to def integrate concepts of a less predictive nature.

back on topic, If Doege did make progress this offseason, you want to give him 1-2 qtrs to wash that taste out of his mouth for VT, should Greene not excel. Also, Greene allows the staff to be more creative with schemes, so it should open the playbook, as long as his arm talent is not a weakness. Personally, Im not a fan of RPO, I think its a cheap concept frankly our staff can do better then just put Greene in a "predictive" RPO scheme. His versatility allows for so much more then just wildcat & RPO. You dont make it to the Elite11 by just being able to run...

I also didnt see any Zone Stretch schemes yesterday.... I continue in my awe as to why its not deployed more at WVU. Considering our OL issues, and all the various play-action & roll-out concepts can branch off of it. Using directional momentum, is far better then relying on brute force and predictive blocking schemes.

Green def needs at least 1 full half next week, but I would still play Doege in the first half. That way, its best of both worlds.

OR

Play Doege in 1st QTR and play Greene in 2nd QTR, then tell them, whichever one performs the best will play the entire second half. May inspire a little more competition...

We all knew heading into this season what the weakness of this team would be. That said, the level of stupidity im seeing on SM, about how NB is a shit coach, etc... Ive been telling people for MONTHS that we would probably lose to Maryland, people literally laughed at me. The fact we lost due to self inflicted wounds(TOs), and still had a shot at winning, is actually more telling of the quality of the team. It happens, look at 2018 when we played IowaSt. Sometimes, teams just dont show up, its not their day for whatever reason. But to say or think 1 game like that is indicative of the quality of this staff is just being an over emotional knee jerk illogical type of fan.

It takes time to build things the right way, to improve roster talent, get them matured & developed, then experienced. Thats a long process, and this was the 1st game of the 3rd year, with the second year being shortened. If that game happened in 2019, we would have been beat by 40. So while it sucks to lose, its still possible to identify progress in a loss. To have 4 TO's and still be in the fight, is actually a reason to be optimistic, because whats the chances we continue to have that many TO's per game. Even by Doege standards it was extremely deviated to have 2 INTs in a single game, then 2 fumbles on top..

Its a wake up call early on, that may actually serve to benefit this team and make them refocus and work harder and detail oriented. 1 bad game is not the end of the world, I think we'll be fine, but this team will never truly peak until we have a dynamic QB, and thats at the very least 1-2 yrs away, even if Green is our guy, itll take him time to feel it out. Brown is trying to solve through recruiting, it just takes time for players to develop.

I think Brown has to walk that line between evaluation, building for future, best position to win now, etc... I thought if Doege didnt perform well this year Greene would replace him in the middle or near the end of the season. It usually takes a QB 1 full season to become familiar with offense & timing, etc... So do you play him early and risk losing an extra game or two, which will certainly improve his upside in years to come, but a short term sacrifice?

Greenes first year was not a normal one, we gotta keep that in mind. But whenever Brown feels its best to make that switch, whenever that may be, Greene needs a very.......very long leash. He also needs the staff to mold a creative offense around him, his strengths, to mitigate his inexperience and weaknesses. Brown brought in Kirk C, so im sure they'll field something good. We ALL hope Greene is our guy for the next 3-4 years, we just have to realize rookie QBs may be a short term sacrifice, but offer higher long term upside, esp for next season...

I trust Brown to make that decision, whenever its time. It sucks to lose, esp that kind of loss when its blatantly obvious you are the better team. Those types of games are part of the climb, but if anything its proof of progress, so im 100% confident in where we are heading long term(beyond this season).

Wow....that must have been one hell of a line, brother

• Haha
Reactions: LHANDSDC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT