ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD West Virginia football at Pittsburgh

You guys appear to have a QB that throws guys open. Most QBs attempt to throw to open guys. Good NFL QBs throw guys open. He is a good one if you can piece together an OL to protect him.
This is his only/last year here, so the OL isn’t gonna get much better. He’s also in an incredibly conservative scheme where we would rather play field position than put games away.

Virginia Tech is a really bad team as is Kansas. I really expect to win the next 3. After that I'm not so confident.

Agree- the momentum was killed with that one decision. He could have run the clock down and maybe gone up two scores if they made it - and they most likely would have .
But you said Neal Brown was no good. How would we have scored? Quit with circle jerking. There were 10 + things that went wrong that cost that win. Coaches and players.

This is his only/last year here, so the OL isn’t gonna get much better. He’s also in an incredibly conservative scheme where we would rather play field position than put games away.
He could have a second year here. I don't know if he would take it though. Personally I think he should to show a pattern of (hopefully) non-injury.

But you said Neal Brown was no good. How would we have scored? Quit with circle jerking. There were 10 + things that went wrong that cost that win. Coaches and players.

Definitely true that the players did not execute the way they should. That being said, it is so stupidly tiresome to hear defenses of the HC like "he is not the one that missed the wide open catch." While true, the buck stops with the head coach. It is why they are so coveted and get paid the big bucks. Maybe that excuse holds some water with really green players or early in a head coach's tenure, but in year 4 seeing the same problems of pre snap penalties, dropped balls, and missed blocking assignments as the previous years does fall on the head coach's shoulders.

Reactions: Rootmaster
I don't know what JTD's plans are, but he'll be 23.5 or 24.5 when he tries the NFL in the fall of 2023 or 2024. And QB is a position where you can play a long time (assuming you're good enough of course). So if he stays at WVU next year, I don't think not getting your NFL chance until age 24.5 is a big deal. I can see why a good RB would say, I gotta try the NFL now because the clock is ticking, but a QB can wait an extra year if he thinks it helps.

Speaking of RBs, I see that Leddie Brown made it to the final cut with the Chargers. Close but no cigar. I don't know if he still has a realistic chance to catch on with someone else or not.

ETA: I just looked up Stetson Bennett, the UGa QB that played ahead of JTD part of the season last year, including the National Championship game. He turned 24 during last season. He's playing again at UGa again this year and he turns 25 in October.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT