ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD West Virginia basketball vs. Iowa State

I've seen a lot worse from other opponents and a call is never made.
100% true. However it’s really not a matter about level of participation in taunting. Just don’t even do it. Do it with your game. Joey Mazz beat Kentucky with his offhand and never got into anyone’s face. Butler, Pitts, Gansey, all talk smack with their game.

The technical was and typically is a massive game changer. 5 point swing after making a great play.

I played basketball in college and it makes me absolutely insane when someone makes a play and show boats. The ignorance of holding up three fingers and looking through a circle you make with your hand after you make a shot completely blows my mind. Act like you intentionally wanted to make it or thought you could.

A fantastic drive and score negated by flexing muscles running up and down the court staring at a player. He deserved a technical 100%.

Play the damn game

As I think Paul Brown once said, "Act like you've been there before when you score."

I've seen a lot worse from other opponents and a call is never made.
That game was called in a way to give ISU every possible advantage. Don’t know if the officials had any intent, but intent does happen.

Good news is WVU overcame and still won. A very good sign

That game was called in a way to give ISU every possible advantage. Don’t know if the officials had any intent, but intent does happen.

Good news is WVU overcame and still won. A very good sign

"Called in every possible way to give Iowa State advantage"?

30 personals on Cyclones, 19 on Mountaineers. 3 Iowa State players fouled out, only Erik for WVU.

Looks more like refs "favored" WVU, but I doubt that refs favor a team. They just try to keep the game under control, which is reasonable.

Reactions: Rootmaster

30 personals on Cyclones, 19 on Mountaineers. 3 Iowa State players fouled out, only Erik for WVU.

Looks more like refs "favored" WVU, but I doubt that refs favor a team. They just try to keep the game under control, which is reasonable.

They would have called flops if they wanted control. Other team fouled on every possession bc fouling and flopping while hoping the refs missed missed calls was their game plan. Very smart game plan, almost worked.

Statistics don’t always tell the story accurately..

Iowa State leads the conference in fouls and averages 14 some free throws per game less than their opponents. (Something like that). The fact that WVU shot more free throws was just another game for ISU.

They would have called flops if they wanted control. Other team fouled on every possession bc fouling and flopping while hoping the refs missed missed calls was their game plan. Very smart game plan, almost worked.

Numbers are more accurate than people because they aren't irrational. Numbers just call it the way they are. Math is math, the same every time. 2 people watching same game come up with different viewpoints. Numbers don't. I trust numbers over people, even me, who are swayed by their emotions.

They just blow whistles to give themselves a break from running. All a guard has to do to go to foul line is drive to the basket. They don't even have to be touched. Intentional fouls skew the numbers at the end of the game.

Numbers are more accurate than people because they aren't irrational. Numbers just call it the way they are. Math is math, the same every time. 2 people watching same game come up with different viewpoints. Numbers don't. I trust numbers over people, even me, who are swayed by their emotions.
Once again you change positions to suit your narrative. What happened to your numbers tell the story and are never wrong babbling? Are you sure you're not Slobbering Joe Biden?

Reactions: WVUALLEN

Sports analytics is the process of plugging statistics into mathematical models to predict the outcome of a given play or game. Coaches rely on analytics to scout opponents and optimize play calls in games, while front offices use it to prioritize player development.

A player efficiency rating (PER) is an all-in-one statistic that takes into account a player's positive and negative contributions to the game—and adjusts that number on a per-minute basis. This results in a statistic that shows a player's performance by the minute.

Taken from numbers and statistics web info.

So you see there would be no numbers if not for statistics.

A win against ISU would really be great for our resume, but won’t determine our ultimate fate. If we could beat Texas at Texas or Kansas at Kansas, those would probably be bigger deals. Also, whether or not we make the tournament depends to a great measure on how other schools at our level fare over the rest of the season.

Beating ISU will help us, but losing the the 11th ranked team doesn’t knock us out of the tournament.

Today is example 1 of why winning at Texas or Kansas is a Hail Mary desperation heave rather than a viable opportunity to make up for losing winnable home games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT